Metal Storm logo
Industrial/EBM/Electro/Noize

26.01.2008 - 04:39
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Heyy. Msers, who here is into Techno/Industrial music? To me normal techno is too pop-like, but the Gothic version ov techno is the way electro dance music is supposed to sound . I love it!

Mortiis had a good release, but even deeper into the scene, i like Terrorfakt, Tactical Sekt, Grendel and God Module has some good track too.

who else likes Techno/Industrial?
27.01.2008 - 23:57
Vunts
*raises hand*
EBM, electro and industrial are my favourite musics outside of metal...or rather side to side with metal. I'm not entirely sure what pulls me in with these bands, but you could say that I find them more relaxing. No matter how much I try to tell myself, guitars don't relax me. I can't fall asleep even with funeral doom playing, but with the other genres mentioned in this post, I can.
Well, seen as I am in difficulty when trying to explain why I listen to the genres, I'll just throw a few bands in that I enjoy and add a few words.

Covenant - the Swedish EBM band, not the black metal band. This is actually the first band from this type of music that I started listening to a lot and which inspired me to look even further (not that I got that far this stuff is more underground than metal). I first heard the song '20hz' on a magazine compilation from Orkus (the only issue that I purchased, because I thought there is English text in there ). It immediately caught my ear and I knew I had to get more. For about a year, Skysharper tended to my needs, but today I finally decided that I need more. I got the live album from 2007 and the albums from 1997 and 2002 (no names because I don't remember). The live sounded very atmospheric and inviting. It wasn't an intense grapple like Yyrkoon - Occult Medicine that forces you to stay in, but more like a warm welcome to room with surround sound, that you don't want to leave from. 'Call the Ships to Port' is a true highlight. 'Bullet' isn't far behind either. This live album sounds like a "best of" compilation, due to the high quality of the songs.

Lillith - the first darkwave band that I heard. 'Survive a Cold Eternity' is but one release and it hasn't gotten old at all over the years. The sound is hard to describe fully. It's both eerie and simple at the same time. Could suit well for a psyhological horror movie. In fact, I will try to make a video using a song from the album and video footage from the Silent Hill series at some point (which is as good as never). No flat out highlights and no weak points on the album.

Cascada - yes, your eyes aren't deceiving you. I enjoy this German dance music group, even though I hate dancing. It does have more of a sentimental value, but were they dull, it wouldn't be enough to make their way into my playlist. 'Everytime We Touch' is the album I have and when I play it, I usually scrap half of the songs from the playlist (because they suck), but songs like 'A Never Ending Dream' and 'One More Night' show unbelievable variations that I could never expect from a dance band. No, they don't even compare to anything remotely unique and unrepetitive, but it's good enough to make my eyebrows raise up upon first listen.

Boards of Canada - a totally different band from the three I already mentioned. I discovered them when I heard a song in my photography class: 'Beware the Friendly Stranger' from the flash animation hit 'Salad Fingers's soundtrack. This band isn't actually easy listening. They use quite many disturbing sounds and purposely repetitive beats (not on all occasions mind you) to not let you relax while listening. A good example is 'Gyroscope' from 'Geogaddi'. I'm going to be honest with you, I haven't listened to even half of the songs I have from them even though I like the music. It's not easy to just sit down and get into the music. Too much effort required from my end.

So that's enough from me (at least for tonight).
28.01.2008 - 20:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well I'm getting into this "dark side of electro" stuff. So far I like some nbands:

- Suicide Commando, from Belgium, one of the pioneer bands in EBM.
- Hocico, from Mexico, kickass band.
- Amduscia, from Mexico. Tehy sound pretty unique. The music sounds liek standard techno sometimes, but when they sing, it's amazing.
- Dawn Of Ashes, from teh US, self called Horror Electro, since their lyrics are focused into horror stuff like masacres and that kinda stuff
- Taktical Sekt, one of teh Influences for Dawn Of Ashes
- Grendel, a classic
- Apoptygma Berzerk, another classic.
- Fronline Assembly.
- I heard Skinny puppy is amazng too, but I haven't had the time to check it.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
29.01.2008 - 08:20
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah...I'm into this stuff...Android Lust, Skinny Puppy, SITD, Astral Projection, Blutengel, etc...
30.01.2008 - 19:12
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
I find most of the newer stuff to be more trite than power metal; however, mid 80s to mid 90s EBM and other forms of more electronica-based industrial music is for the most part great. Front 242, Die Krupps and Nitzer Ebb are widely recognized as the creators of the so called EBM sound (with F242 even coining the term) and these 3 bands are really all you need to hear from this genre, along with slightly newer acts like Wumpscut, Spahn Ranch and Velvet Acid Christ.

Skinny Puppy exist in a world of their own, since they very rarely follow the 4 to the floor formula of EBM and electro-industrial.

Frontline Assembly is one of the most overrated bands in the world since although they do have a handful of good songs, the majority of their stuff is formulaic filler.

Controlled Bleeding made some of the best stuff in the genre as well, but be careful since half of their albums are harsh noise.
31.01.2008 - 22:51
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
hey Jonas, thanks for introducing me to Dawn Of Ashes, they're pretty good, and they do sound somewhat like Tactical Sekt .

I think Suicide Commando are okay too, they released a remix album recently, there's like this clean/piano version of "Love Breeds Suicide" on it.
04.02.2008 - 21:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 31.01.2008 at 22:51

hey Jonas, thanks for introducing me to Dawn Of Ashes, they're pretty good, and they do sound somewhat like Tactical Sekt .

I think Suicide Commando are okay too, they released a remix album recently, there's like this clean/piano version of "Love Breeds Suicide" on it.

No problemo son.
Yeha the influence is not only heard, but Khris from DOA actually afirmed it in a interviewe for vampirefreaks.com
Suicide Commando is quite a classic, Axis of Evil is IMO their best album.

There's another band, Front Line Assembly, another classic. On the same wave of SC.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

09.02.2008 - 03:30
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Ahhh I keep hearing their name pop up, I'll check them out later. I doubt you can find this genre of music in a record store, hey?
10.02.2008 - 15:44
FOOCK Nam
I know and like only these two: KMFDM and Samael. Dawn Of Ashes is quite good for me. I love Branded Woman, electro from Finland but sadly their stuff is hard to find
10.02.2008 - 22:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by jupitreas on 30.01.2008 at 19:12

Frontline Assembly is one of the most overrated bands in the world since although they do have a handful of good songs, the majority of their stuff is formulaic filler.

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 04.02.2008 at 21:55

There's another band, Front Line Assembly, another classic. On the same wave of SC.

I thought that was funny.

Will check some of the bands out that are mentioned here, they sound good.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.02.2008 - 22:12
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Lucas on 10.02.2008 at 22:01

Written by jupitreas on 30.01.2008 at 19:12

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 04.02.2008 at 21:55

I thought that was funny.

Will check some of the bands out that are mentioned here, they sound good.

*ironic* Well, it seems me and Jupitreas have different points o view to Front Line Assembly.
----

11.02.2008 - 15:23
iaberis
Advice Troll
The only industrial (not metal) I seem to like is Psyclon Nine. I haven't heard much in the genre, so I don't know many similar artists... Any recommendation for me?
----
Bitch! Please
11.02.2008 - 21:12
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Actually I've listened to this electronic stuff quite some time before I really got into metal. Project Pitchfork's "Daimonion" (2001) was the first album of this kind, followed by Covenant's "Call The Ships To Port" I think. A slight interest in Clan of Xymox, Icon of Coil and Hallucinogen was also present. Haven't really developed my taste in EBM that much in the past few years though (well, guess what I listened to instead?), even though I do listen to stuff like Suicide Commando, Agonoize, Welle:Erdball and Project Pitchfork quite regularly. And I love extreme metal bands integrating some electronics in their music like Nagelfar, The Elysian Fields and The Monolith Deathcult.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
22.02.2008 - 23:55
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I just discovered this Italian group, Alien Vampires!

http://www.myspace/alienvampires666
26.02.2008 - 07:28
totaliteraliter
Any recommendations for someone who has enjoyed...

(early) Laibach
Whitehouse
Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft
Einstürzende Neubauten
pretty much anything described as "martial"

basically looking for stuff more on the abrasive side...
27.02.2008 - 05:58
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
For abrasive stuff: Merzbow, NON, Masonna, Blood Axis, Con-Dom, Controlled Bleeding, Zos Kia, Death In June, Current 93, Wolf Eyes and well, many more...

Also, there is my own project, (sorry for the plug) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7fqBp7GmC8
27.02.2008 - 20:15
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 27.02.2008 at 05:58

Zos Kia

Isn't that a Coil side-project? (or better said, a pseudonym for another Coil album)
27.02.2008 - 20:19
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
It is what Coil were called before they were called Coil haha. It is far more abrasive stuff than what they did as Coil.
27.02.2008 - 20:31
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Ah, ok... I usually get pretty confused by the different names used by Coil for different project.

I'm surprised to see you named Current 93 as an abrassive band. I had never listen to them, but I had seen them labeled as neo-folk, so I imagined something in the vein of Sol Invictus or Death In June is my perception wrong?
27.02.2008 - 21:07
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Well, both Current 93 and Death In June started as pretty abrasive industrial bands and only later went into the apocalyptic folk direction...
27.02.2008 - 23:42
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Well, I concede that even Sol Invictus has some pretty noisy moments in Lex Talionis... but I still prefer their more straight folkish albums like In The Rain.
01.03.2008 - 03:31
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Vunts on 27.01.2008 at 23:57

Cascada

Don't you think their melodies are too simplistic? I just think that electronic music could be so more complicated, skilled and atmospheric than an artist as Cascada are showing.

Written by Guest on 22.02.2008 at 23:55

This band is exactly the reason why electronic music shouldn't have black metal vocals. It is really horrible, this combinated with the immature attitude(Chernobyl is My throne?!) make them quite mediocre. I am glad the bandmembers are mostly focusing on their other projects.
01.03.2008 - 22:32
Vunts
Written by AntaeusM on 01.03.2008 at 03:31

Cascada

Don't you think their melodies are too simplistic? I just think that electronic music could be so more complicated, skilled and atmospheric than an artist as Cascada are showing.

They are, and I would never try to argue with that. But like I said, they have more of a sentimental value. A few good memories relating to a couple of those songs.
I don't always need skillful, complicated and atmospheric songs to enjoy the music. Sometimes simplicity is better, in Cascada's case, it's true.

However, compared to most other dance music bands, their songs are very complex (not that I've indulged in the others that much)
02.03.2008 - 03:11
NOИ
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 28.01.2008 at 20:52

Well I'm getting into this "dark side of electro" stuff. So far I like some nbands:

- Suicide Commando, from Belgium, one of the pioneer bands in EBM.
- Hocico, from Mexico, kickass band.
- Amduscia, from Mexico. Tehy sound pretty unique. The music sounds liek standard techno sometimes, but when they sing, it's amazing.
- Dawn Of Ashes, from teh US, self called Horror Electro, since their lyrics are focused into horror stuff like masacres and that kinda stuff
- Taktical Sekt, one of teh Influences for Dawn Of Ashes
- Grendel, a classic
- Apoptygma Berzerk, another classic.
- Fronline Assembly.
- I heard Skinny puppy is amazng too, but I haven't had the time to check it.

great list here! I love Terror/Harsh EBM and I am a fan of those bands too. I enjoy very much Suicide Commando and Amduscia (especially in Melodies for the Devil album) and I also like Dawn of Ashes and Tactical Sekt. I also have heard Siva Six, Psyclon Nine, Die Sektor, Nurzery Rhymes and many many more... Dawn of Ashes changed in industrial/metal, and I'm waiting for Suicide Commando's and Amduscia's new albums right now.

Written by Guest on 22.02.2008 at 23:55

...this is my favourite band from this genre and I have both two albums and their one EP! glad that Nysrok Infernalien left Aborym and started his project!
02.03.2008 - 14:58
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by NOИ on 02.03.2008 at 03:11

I also have heard Siva Six, Psyclon Nine, Die Sektor, Nurzery Rhymes and many many more...

What did you think about Nurzery Rhymes? Just curious as they are from my area.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
02.03.2008 - 15:55
NOИ
Written by Promonex on 02.03.2008 at 14:58

Written by NOИ on 02.03.2008 at 03:11

I also have heard Siva Six, Psyclon Nine, Die Sektor, Nurzery Rhymes and many many more...

What did you think about Nurzery Rhymes? Just curious as they are from my area.

I have heard only their last album called Thorns. it's an above the average album, with some good moments here and there, not so good as Suicide Commando or Amduscia's Melodies for the Devil though...
02.03.2008 - 23:30
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Vunts on 01.03.2008 at 22:32

Cascada

They are, and I would never try to argue with that. But like I said, they have more of a sentimental value. A few good memories relating to a couple of those songs.
I don't always need skillful, complicated and atmospheric songs to enjoy the music. Sometimes simplicity is better, in Cascada's case, it's true.

However, compared to most other dance music bands, their songs are very complex (not that I've indulged in the others that much)

well, I cannot really say anything when you say a song is good because of a memory related to it. Music doesn't need to be skillful, and eventually the most important thing is the feeling you get while listening to a song. However, most compositions that are overly simplistic within the genre of "dance" are just bleh. They don't trigger any feeling, the only thing they do is creating a catchy, mediocre song that is understandable for anyone. Calling Cascada complicated is strange to me. Since most of their songs exists of simple melodies, with the same monotonous synthesizer playing some tune. Electronic music has more to offer than that.
03.03.2008 - 11:38
Vunts
Written by AntaeusM on 02.03.2008 at 23:30

Written by Vunts on 01.03.2008 at 22:32

Cascada

well, I cannot really say anything when you say a song is good because of a memory related to it. Music doesn't need to be skillful, and eventually the most important thing is the feeling you get while listening to a song. However, most compositions that are overly simplistic within the genre of "dance" are just bleh. They don't trigger any feeling, the only thing they do is creating a catchy, mediocre song that is understandable for anyone. Calling Cascada complicated is strange to me. Since most of their songs exists of simple melodies, with the same monotonous synthesizer playing some tune. Electronic music has more to offer than that.

hmm, still on the complicated part...I don't know what started this. Could it have been this part - "but songs like 'A Never Ending Dream' and 'One More Night' show unbelievable variations that I could never expect from a dance band."? Because that sentence simply meant that I expected a LOT less, due to my previous experiences with this kind of music, where there were basically loops for minutes and a voice "singing" a single sentence over and over again. Cascada was the first dance music band which actually had lyrics and songs that had tempo variations, different melodies (changing often at 30 second intervals or even less) and an album, where songs are distinguishable from one another.
But anyways, I don't think they make complex music (simply having some variation doesn't mean the music is difficult to make), I don't think they are the best electronic band ever and I would never argue against the "their music is simple" statement.

However, essentially a lot of the music is simple. To bring an example from other genres: Amon Amarth - Death in Fire is a quite simple song, but it has much more emotion in it than some prog or tech bands, who couldn't give a rat's ass about anything other than showing their playing skill, not songwriting skill.
Like you said, it's the emotion the song gives, which counts. The time I start listening to music because it has some people who are the best with the instruments they play, but couldn't compose a song if their life depended on it, is when hell freezes over.

So basically, I don't mind simple music and I don't mind complicated music if it has a purpose.

I hope I...didn't go too round about and instead of closing holes, opened new ones...
03.03.2008 - 20:50
Elodie Artour
Slania
I enjoy listening to both industrial and EBM(as for example-Blutengel,Ayria,Zombie Girl,Siva Six,etc.)but I don't like noise.Although I haven't listened to many such songs,I don't like this style.It is freaky and doesn't sound good to my ears. :
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
04.03.2008 - 05:29
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Check also Imperative Reaction. not so harsh on teh vocals, but pretty amazing. really good stuff.
----