Album: Ensiferum
Style: Extreme folk metal
Release date: 2001

01. Intro
02. Hero In A Dream
03. Token Of Time
04. Guardians Of Fate
05. Old Man (Väinämöinen)
06. Little Dreamer (Väinämöinen Part II)
07. Abandoned
08. Windrider
09. Treacherous Gods
10. Eternal Wait
11. Battle Song
12. Goblins' Dance

2001 was just about to become history when I received this cd in the mail. It was three days before 2002 and I found myself on an airplane home to spend the New Year. The plane had just taxied off the runway as I placed Ensiferum's debut self-titled album in my cd player. I had not heard much about this young Finnish band before I had ordered the CD but was told, since I like Moonsorrow and Finntroll, I would eat this cd up for breakfast lunch and dinner. Well, I am still eating it and it sounds better every fucking time.

What makes this cd so epic for me is the amazing mesh of Viking folk melodies throughout the entire cd. Each song interprets a certain aspect of Viking folklore that creates a very melodic and relentless atmosphere. Also the choruses in each of the tracks are creatively done. I could notice other Finnish influence that creeps up throughout the album but for the most part Ensiferum have their own sound going and are a welcome breath of cold fresh Finnish winter air.

I would normally write about my favorite song but the whole damn album is amazing. Though when you play "Treacherous Gods", and "Battle Song" you will hopefully hear what I do in this band. This was my choice for number one of 2001, and with some luck they can top that in 2003 with their second album.

I strongly recommend Ensiferum. Trust me, on this one you cannot go wrong.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by fade | 06.02.2004

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
My first experience with growls started by chance when I was searching amazon for new metal and I discovered the genre of viking metal. This immediately caught my attention and I read several bands with special interest the reviews on Ensiferum, which obviously had some good debut album released in 2001. Then I searched other sources for this band because amazon did not have it available so I got me a copy via eBay. Of a three cd order this was the first one I listened to and I was shocked, because yet I had not come across growls that have a quite aggressive impact on the ear when you hear them for the first time, but the winds from the north a blowing fortunately strong, below I will tell you why:

Read more ››
published 00.00.0000 | Comments (16)

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 244 users
29.01.2008 - 02:25
charless
Account deleted
nice review, this album kicks ass.
04.09.2009 - 17:57
Rating: 9
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I apologize for my statement, this album isnt nice...it is damn very nice...:)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.12.2009 - 18:40
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Great folk work ''Old Man'', Abandoned and ''Treacherous Gods'' are my highlights.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.12.2009 - 18:43
Rating: 9
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hm...mine picks are Hero In A Dream, Guardians Of The Fate and Battle Song

this covers half of the album by just two fans
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.08.2010 - 23:46
ThatOtherGuy

This album was pretty good. Had some really good songs, others seemed like fillers.
06.10.2010 - 15:19
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by fade on 11.09.2009 at 21:52

Wrote this one when I was a staff member.. hehe. Oh and the gargoyledawn.com station is no longer alive.

10 on Production? Simply i want to ask you: why?
09.06.2011 - 20:08
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Highlights:
1. Hero In A Dream
2. Token Of Time
3. Guardians Of Fate
4. Abandoned
5. Windrider
6. Treacherous Gods
20.12.2011 - 04:36
Rating: 10
Magician

# 1. Treacherous Gods
# 2. Old Man (Vainamoinen Part I)
# 3. Hero In A Dream

Best viking album ever!!!
03.01.2019 - 14:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO its softrer as Moonsorrow.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 10131 | This month: 7