Metal Storm logo
Worst letdown ever.

Original post

Posted by selken, 29.01.2008 - 04:21
All these bands have been known for being elite both outside and inside metal world, but sometimes they got the wrong idea
Remeber when you were waiting even 3 years for your favorite band's brand new album, you run to the store buy the album (in a higher price cause is hot, you don't even want to wait until it gets cheaper) and back to your home or in your car you put that disc with that smell of new and push "Play" and you say WTF IS THIS??? Did I got a wrong album??, you check the cover and nop your nightmare is not, this albums sucks, well, that happened to me with last Sonata's album, I was about to crash my father's car because of the shock, well, I think you got my point, lets talk about your experience, tell us which album dissappointed you the most and how was your experience. C'mon ppl talk and get back here

Poll

Which album is the worst crap you ever wasted your money with?

Metallica - St. Anger
Other worse (really?, tell us which)
Megadeth - Risk
These albums are not so bad
In Flames - Come Clarity
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet
Helloween - Chameleon
Kreator - Endorama

Total votes: 257
25.03.2011 - 01:04
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.03.2011 at 01:00

Written by RavenKing on 25.03.2011 at 00:39
As awful as the drum sound is on "St. Anger", I think "No Prayer For The Dying" really deserves a mention when it comes to shitty drum sound.

Absolutely agreed. The No Prayer drum sound doesn't literally hurt my ears, so it's not quite as awful as the "St. Anger" drum sound, but it is pretty awful. It sound's like Nicko's usual kit was replaced by a few cardboard boxes! lol I'm one of the few who actually likes No Prayer, but the drum sound is crap, and definitely detracts something from the songs. As you know, I'm not a fan of remastering at all, but the drum sound on that album really could use remixing...

I think not even remastering would fix the problem. I think the recording itself is most likely crap.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.03.2011 - 01:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 25.03.2011 at 01:04
I think not even remastering would fix the problem. I think the recording itself is most likely crap.

Well, the production isnt that great, even though the drum sound is easily the worst aspect of it. Bad production really can have a detrimental effect on an album, and the drum sound on No Prayer is a great example of that...

As for "Painkiller", I think "Angel Of Retribution" is a fine album, and I also like "Jugulator", even if it is very different sounding for Priest. "Painkiller" is better than any of the albums that came after it though.. in fact I was just listening to that album earlier.
25.03.2011 - 01:40
Void_Eater
Account deleted
In my humble opinion, Priest should have stuck with Tim Owens. Halford is getting old, and can't hit high notes as well anymore, while Tim is relativley young- 16 years younger in fact, and still good. Halford in the band serves no other purpose then nostalgia for old timers-He isn't the man who could give the best performance.
25.03.2011 - 02:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I'd have much preffered it if Tim had remained in Iced Earth, and Jon hadn't kicked him out. Im glad that Halford returned to Priest. Ripper was great in Iced Earth, its a shame what happened there...
25.03.2011 - 03:30
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.03.2011 at 02:16

I'd have much preffered it if Tim had remained in Iced Earth, and Jon hadn't kicked him out. Ripper was great in Iced Earth, its a shame what happened there...

You know my position on this issue.

And Barlow has left again, exactly as I expected. So Iced Earth will get yet another new singer now.
Congratulations, Schaffer. Douchebag.
----
25.03.2011 - 03:41
Wyrd

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.03.2011 at 02:16

I'd have much preffered it if Tim had remained in Iced Earth, and Jon hadn't kicked him out. Im glad that Halford returned to Priest. Ripper was great in Iced Earth, its a shame what happened there...

I found it was a let down that he was even in the band at all. He was dreadful to my ears.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
25.03.2011 - 05:02
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 01:40

In my humble opinion, Priest should have stuck with Tim Owens. Halford is getting old, and can't hit high notes as well anymore, while Tim is relativley young- 16 years younger in fact, and still good. Halford in the band serves no other purpose then nostalgia for old timers-He isn't the man who could give the best performance.

Juggulator was decent, the other was mostly bad, but I Think they would have gotten it right after 1 more bad one.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.03.2011 - 06:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 25.03.2011 at 03:30
You know my position on this issue.

And Barlow has left again, exactly as I expected. So Iced Earth will get yet another new singer now.
Congratulations, Schaffer. Douchebag.

Yeah well... not only was the last album with Matt vastly inferior to the 2 preceding albums with Tim, (although this wasn't down to Matt's vocals) Jon was also taking a huge risk re-instating Matt. How Jon didn't forsee what happened, I dunno, cos to me, it was blindingly obvious. Maybe he was hoping that after a while, Matt would want to commit more intensively to Iced Earth, but that was always unlikely. Or at least it seemed that way to me...

@Wyrd: Although your view is one that was probably shared by most Iced Earth fans (and what ultimately led Jon to re-instate Matt), I myself, certainly don't agree. Sure, the first time I heard his vocals with the band, I was a bit shocked, but that was only because I was so used to hearing Matt's voice with IE. I warmed to it pretty quickly though, and I find both albums with him on vocals to be very good stuff, especially "The Glorious Burden". As much of a fan as I am of Matt's vocals in Iced Earth, I appreciate a lot what Ripper did in his time with the band, and I wish Jon had kept him on.
25.03.2011 - 06:40
Yasmine

Ripper turned out to be a good fit for em, same lower range, better stamina, same vibrato strength.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.03.2011 - 08:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 25.03.2011 at 00:55

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2011 at 13:50

Written by Guest on 23.03.2011 at 08:07
The St. Anger drumming sessions probably sounded something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPACPu_X1c4

Nah, the drum sound on "St Anger" is worse than the drum sound in that vid.

As awful as the drum sound is on "St. Anger", I think "No Prayer For The Dying" really deserves a mention when it comes to shitty drum sound.

No Prayer deserves a mention when talking about shittyness in general imo. The album wasnt a let down for me personally because i was simply too young. But i can imagine a lot of the bands older fans being seriously dissapointed by this.... Especially coming after seventh son.

You have no idea in what sort of shock I was for months when I bought No Prayer when it was released.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2011 - 13:51
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2011 at 08:35

You have no idea in what sort of shock I was for months when I bought No Prayer when it was released.

Same here. Talk of a crappy album, right after SSOASS.
At the time, I thought it was only a little mistake and the next album would quickly make me forget this one.
You know the story...
----
25.03.2011 - 22:26
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2011 at 08:35

Written by @gent_-_orange on 25.03.2011 at 00:55

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2011 at 13:50

Written by Guest on 23.03.2011 at 08:07
The St. Anger drumming sessions probably sounded something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPACPu_X1c4

Nah, the drum sound on "St Anger" is worse than the drum sound in that vid.

No Prayer deserves a mention when talking about shittyness in general imo. The album wasnt a let down for me personally because i was simply too young. But i can imagine a lot of the bands older fans being seriously dissapointed by this.... Especially coming after seventh son.

Maidens Sudden drop in quality in the space of one album is a damn shame.... at least we can still remember their golden age.
08.05.2011 - 02:37
Doom Trooper

Sadus' Out For Blood was the biggest let down album I have encountered thus far in my metal listening life span. Sadus are one of my all time favorite Death/Thrash bands. For them to go from Certain Death, Powers of Hate, Valley of Dry Bones to the horrid shit that was Down, Smackdown, Sick, Crazy... ahh.. I get disgusted just thinking about it. Such a disappointing album.
08.05.2011 - 10:12
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Totally agree with No Prayer for the Dying. Iron Maiden was the first band i REALLY got into, and i loved all their material until until i bought that crap. Definitely a let down.

I also agree with the Iced Earth discussion in that Ripper stayed on. I was a huge TGB fan thanks to his vocals.
08.05.2011 - 12:17
JD
Account deleted
Sepultura's albums with D.Green.
09.05.2011 - 15:52
ANGEL REAPER

Requiem and Octagon by Bathory.....
I mean these two albums just ruined the whole Bathory experience i had....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
09.05.2011 - 20:45
Ghostdancer

I've got to agree with Marcel on this one. Metallica's eponymous "black album" was the biggest letdown I've ever experienced. AJFA was not their greatest work, but it was still sort of what I expected from Metallica and by the time their black album came out, I expected their hazing of Newsted was over and that there would actually be bass on the new album. Anyway, I bought the album the day it came out. As soon as I left the record store I popped it into my car stereo...and completely went "WTF?" Oh, there was bass this time, but it didn't matter. It was not Metallica to me...one of my friends started calling them Pussica after the album came out. I tried to find something redeeming about it, but the letdown was too great. I never bought a Metallica release after that one.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
10.05.2011 - 19:18
Richard 32

Wow...there's a lot of hate for Unia on here. I don't own the album, but I have Days of Grays and Reckoning Night, and I actually like their more progressive stuff a little better.

Is it that bad, or did I just have the benefit of becoming a fan after Unia was already out?
13.05.2011 - 00:18
whatsacow

St anger isnt as bad, because metallica were already heading to shit.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
21.05.2011 - 07:57
GroundZero

St. Anger is horrible...

By the way, I think In Flames' "Come Clarity" is a good album. I like it a lot.
22.12.2012 - 12:50
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Going from an actually really good live album like S&M to a stinkfest like St. Anger is a pretty big let down I think.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
23.12.2012 - 10:35
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I've only got 1 of the nominees (Are You Dead Yet). The worst album I ever bought was Darkthrone's Panzerfaust.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.12.2012 - 04:10
Night Theater

The biggest letdown for me would either be Kamelot's Poetry for the Poisoned, or Therion's new album, Les Fleurs Du Mal (The flowers of Evil).
24.12.2012 - 05:09
Guib
Thrash Talker
Cryptopsy... the Unspoken King
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.12.2012 - 06:22
john_mcc

I voted for St Anger. Metallica disappointed me so many times but for some reason I always gave them another chance, until that one. First of all, "...And Justice For all" completely failed to live up to the greatness of "Master of Puppets", yet it was still quite good, really good in places, it was the crappy production that made it all sound so monotonous, like reading a Kafka book when all played in one sitting, and they had just lost Cliff, that's got to put them off their game, right? Maybe next time they will be back firing on all cylinders with a "Reign In Blood" production standard. One day I walked into my local record store and what's this? A new Metallica album? Wow! I had no idea they were recording one! (I had stopped buying kerrap so got no news anymore). Buying it meant that I had no bus fare home (poor student), so I walked home, it was the longest walk home ever but when I got home it was so going to be worth it! Got home, played it, "That's not Metallica", checked the label on the record and it said "Hetfield/Ulrich" in brackets after all of the songs, got very confused, played it a few more times and eventually got to half like about half the album; it was OK, just not Metallica. Then they got really popular, which I liked because half of the people who used to slag me off at school for liking Metallica were now wearing Metallica t-shirts, I used to love meeting them and saying "Ha Ha, so what happened to the Pet Shop Boys then?". Childish I know, but you've got to enjoy vindication while you can.

I didn't bother buying "Load" when it was released, but it turned up in a second hand store soon enough so I got it then and it was not as bad as I had heard it was, half of it was sort of OK now that I had got used to the idea that Metallica were no longer a Metal band and were now some sort of blues rock band, maybe they should change their name so that no-one confuses them with the band that did their early albums, but what on earth had happened to their logo? and why were they dressing up as Duran Duran in the booklet? I did buy Re-load when it was released and what a pile of shit that was after the first few Ok-ish songs were done with. Still, it was obviously just the songs that were not good enough to get on to Load, hastily released because there were fewer ballads among them and they were being accused of wimping out. Not a reflection on next time.

Next time actually turned out to be not too bad. I really liked Garage Inc, they were not bad at playing good songs written by other people, and I liked S+M except for the vocals, James sounding out of tune almost the entire album, but hey, it's live. The crap Mission Impossible song and 2 new instant skippage S+M songs should have been a warning that they had forgotten how to write good songs themselves, but one off songs are not like the songs that make up an album after all.

And so it was that I bought "St Anger" on the same day that it was released. What a fucking awful day that was.
24.12.2012 - 20:56
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 24.12.2012 at 05:09

Yeah, but Cryptopsy already started to suck big time after None So Vile. At least this one was a nice change of pace.
25.12.2012 - 20:10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 24.12.2012 at 20:56

Written by Guib on 24.12.2012 at 05:09

Yeah, but Cryptopsy already started to suck big time after None So Vile. At least this one was a nice change of pace.

Bleh I found it boring really.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.01.2013 - 17:31
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Celtic Frost - Cold Lake. Biggest let down. Ever.
11.01.2013 - 19:41
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 11.01.2013 at 17:31

Celtic Frost - Cold Lake. Biggest let down. Ever.

Yeah that sucked at best. And choked on dicks at worse.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.01.2013 - 07:42
Evil Chip

The tittle has nothing to do with what is asked in the pool. The worst album that I ever wasted my money on could not be the biggest let down. For instance I don't consider St. Anger a major letdown, since previous Metallica records (Load and Reload) were already bad. And you don't have to buy the record too. Just saying.
I have no particular letdowns since I never keep my expectations so high but it could be listening Shining - VII after listening Shining - V and SYL - Alien after hearing SYL - City.