02. Krig
03. Funeral Procession
04. Profetens Åpenbaring
05. Postludium
06. Ødeleggelse Og Undergang
07. Blood Stains The Circle
08. The Rite Of Infernal Invocation
09. The Devil Is Calling

If you're going to re-issue an album it better be a good one, it better be something worthwhile, it better be a freaking masterpiece actually...it better be Gorgoroth's best record to date..."Under The Sign Of Hell"...

I remember the first time I ever heard anything from this band, it was something so loud and frightening that gave me nightmares for a week or two, something awfully caught my attention when I heard "Funeral Procession" that day, the vocals, Pest was (in my mind) the best piper this band has ever had, his shrieks where truly intense and almost scary, his performance in this song is just shivering in a word, that tune alone made this album one of the most recognized pieces in Black Metal to this day. "Under The Sign Of Hell" is maybe the most versatile piece when it comes to Vocals and Songwriting, it's just incredible how many tones and layers we can find inside this masterpiece; high, fast, low, mid-paced, it's all in there just waiting to burst.

Then there's the music. Infernus creeps the environment with his strings, he throws catchy lines while holding powerful attacks on his hand; this is Black Metal in its purest form, blasphemous, raw, intense and really freaky, something that every fanatic of the genre must worship and adore. This is truly a very potent experience from the beginning to the end.

I wish more labels where as smart as Regain Records, if they were we'd be hearing classic pieces all over again, until then we'll have to keep our good eye on Regain Records, maybe we'll be rejoicing with old Deranged, Vader or Dismember soon...my fingers are crossed...

Masterpiece!!!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 31.01.2008

Guest review by
Prugor
Rating:
This is the first album with the legendary Pest on vocals, which he does a wonderful job of doing so. The line up as changed once more, bass duties are now to Ares for one song and the rest to Infernus, Pest replaces Hat for vocals, and Grim replaces Frost from drums. Line up changes aren't always good, I mind you. Sometimes they change the entire sound of the band or simply backtrack it slightly, which is exactly what this album shows. With the new members, Gorgoroth took a step back and went more with an older, more underground sound with the drums and guitars. The quality of this album is somewhat lower then Antichrist, but it doesn't really change much about it. Grim for one matter is a good drummer, but this album doesn't show it. His drumming isn't perfect, which it isn't supposed to be, but it does sound slightly annoying and as if he is slamming a hammer against the wall while you are trying to sleep. Its a lot of repetition and somewhat a hint of unoriginality, constant blast beats and double bass.

Read more ››
published 18.04.2004 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 348 users
31.01.2008 - 15:26
Rating: 9
Sunioj
Pest kicks ass, and as does this album.
31.01.2008 - 20:48
Rating: 8
mankvill
One of Gorgoroth's best.

01.02.2008 - 03:31
DoomGuard
Might have to check this album out if it got such a good review
01.02.2008 - 15:50
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Very good album, my favourite one together with Pentagram...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
01.02.2008 - 17:16
Sunioj
Written by DoomGuard on 01.02.2008 at 03:31

Might have to check this album out if it got such a good review

Though don't expect it to sound much like Gorgoroth - Gaahl era. Because the production seems alot more raw in stuff that Pest was in. But pest era had the best songwriting Imho.
01.02.2008 - 22:42
DoomGuard
Quote:
Though don't expect it to sound much like Gorgoroth - Gaahl era. Because the production seems alot more raw in stuff that Pest was in. But pest era had the best songwriting Imho.

But do would u recommend it to someone who liked Gaahl era?
02.02.2008 - 02:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Hat is sooooooooo much better than Pest, but Pest is still better than Gaahl lol. I still haven't heard this album, but considering the positive review and responses, I think I might check it out soon.
02.02.2008 - 11:19
Sunioj
Written by DoomGuard on 01.02.2008 at 22:42

But do would u recommend it to someone who liked Gaahl era?

Sure dude, definetly give it shot... pyro is also right, Hat era is also awesome. Basically the first three releases are grand in their own way.
03.02.2008 - 16:30
jadawal
Written by Sunioj on 31.01.2008 at 15:26

Who is Pest? He's not listed on the member page I don't think. I've only ever heard Ghaal Gorgoroth.
03.02.2008 - 16:56
Sunioj
Written by jadawal on 03.02.2008 at 16:30

Who is Pest? He's not listed on the member page I don't think. I've only ever heard Ghaal Gorgoroth.

Read the review, he was involved as the vocalist on this album and I think the EP prior. This album, Pentagram, and Antichrist are key pre-Gaahl era albums imo.
03.02.2008 - 20:39
jadawal
Written by Sunioj on 03.02.2008 at 16:56

Written by jadawal on 03.02.2008 at 16:30

Read the review, he was involved as the vocalist on this album and I think the EP prior. This album, Pentagram, and Antichrist are key pre-Gaahl era albums imo.

Yeah I read it in the review, but still no member in the band page. I'll have to check it out anyways.
03.02.2008 - 20:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
I must buy this one!
----
03.02.2008 - 23:18
Harmonic
Account deleted
Is this as good as black metal gets? I hear tortured shrieks and a wall of dissonant guitar noise - but no trace of a masterpiece. Am I missing something?
03.02.2008 - 23:43
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.02.2008 at 23:18

Is this as good as black metal gets? I hear tortured shrieks and a wall of dissonant guitar noise - but no trace of a masterpiece. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are. Pest's vocals on this album are some of the best on any BM album, possibly THE best, the guitar work is fantastic and the drumming is... Grim!
12.03.2009 - 18:47
Slayer666

Yes, you are. Like the fact that your taste obviously isn't directed to BM. If you don't like this one, than BM is probably not for you.
13.03.2009 - 10:21
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 12.03.2009 at 18:47

Yes, you are. Like the fact that your taste obviously isn't directed to BM. If you don't like this one, than BM is probably not for you.

Or maybe Gorgoroth is just pretentious and overrated. Gaahl takes himself too seriously, I'm afraid.

I recently started listening to Negura Bunget. Very good stuff, that's how black metal should be done.
13.03.2009 - 12:43
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 13.03.2009 at 10:21

Or maybe Gorgoroth is just pretentious and overrated. Gaahl takes himself too seriously, I'm afraid.

I recently started listening to Negura Bunget. Very good stuff, that's how black metal should be done.

Gorgoroth, as a whole, may be a just a bit overrated, but this album is certanly not. Besides, Gaahl isn't involved in this one. Negura Bunget.... I don't know, that hardly seems like BM to me. Now, before you start accusing me of trying to act "kvlt" or whatnot, let me just lay down the facts. Negura Bunget and Gorgoroth are harldy the same genres. While Gorgoroth (at least in this album) deals with raw, uninfluenced BM, Negura has tons of other influences, namely folk. So, comparing Gorgoroth to Negura... well, a bit like trying to see if a mile is larger than a ton.
13.03.2009 - 16:17
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 13.03.2009 at 12:43

Written by Guest on 13.03.2009 at 10:21

Gorgoroth, as a whole, may be a just a bit overrated, but this album is certanly not. Besides, Gaahl isn't involved in this one. Negura Bunget.... I don't know, that hardly seems like BM to me. Now, before you start accusing me of trying to act "kvlt" or whatnot, let me just lay down the facts. Negura Bunget and Gorgoroth are harldy the same genres. While Gorgoroth (at least in this album) deals with raw, uninfluenced BM, Negura has tons of other influences, namely folk. So, comparing Gorgoroth to Negura... well, a bit like trying to see if a mile is larger than a ton.

True enough. I guess I like Negura Bunget because of the other influences. Who knows? Maybe after I listen to NB for awhile I'll start to understand Gorgoroth.
09.02.2010 - 07:18
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
A Real Masterpiece
23.07.2010 - 16:03
Derelict Earth
Never managed to listen thorougly to this album due to the absolutely HORRENDOUS snare sound ...
23.07.2010 - 16:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Derelict Earth on 23.07.2010 at 16:03

Never managed to listen thorougly to this album due to the absolutely HORRENDOUS snare sound ...

They kind of sound like tortilla flaps. XD
Nice album, but the first two Gorgoroth albums are their best for me.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.

Hits total: 10076 | This month: 15