Metal Storm logo
Overkill interview (02/2008)

With: Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth
Conducted by: Marcel Hubregtse (e-mail)
Published: 02.02.2008

Band profile:

Overkill

Thanks for taking the time to do this interview, Blitz. And a big hello from all the readers of www.metalstorm.ee.

First up, what has two thousand legs and two breasts?

An Overkill live show in Germany ;-)

You guys (that is DD and you) have been plodding away with Overkill for nearly thirty years now. Would you say question number one still rings true?

30 years!, Why do journalists keep adding years....1985 for Feel the Fire....DD & I met in 1981.
I think the demographic has obviously changed, as many of the fairer sex enjoy the "heavy stuff". But originally it was a man's world "in the pit".

Like I said, nearly thirty years, now that is quite a long time. A lot of bands would have called it a day after a lot shorter period and after all you've been through. Especially after you suffered a stroke on stage. So, what keeps you guys, and especially you, going?

I'm waiting for a heart attack...it's the only thing missing. Seriously, I do think that if one finds something they love, in my case Overkill...it never feels like work. It feels like LIFE, and an interesting one at that. There are not many people in the world who can say they did an email interview for metalstorm.ee, and then follow that with a live appearance, in one of the coolest "old-cities" (Tallinn, ed.) the world has to offer. Keep it heavy, and the rest will follow.

Over that period of time would you say the band has changed a lot musically? Or is it just slight changes from album to album so that the fans know what to expect?

Slight, we are what we are...a metal band...recognizable?heavy...comitted. I think that in a world of change, deception and uncertainty, we are constant, honest and certain.

Talking about change, how do you regard the current thrash scene? Would you say that a revival is going on with a lot of new bands emerging and the old guns reuniting, and people like you still going on? What are your thoughts on reunions of bands such as Onslaught, Death Angel, Exodus, Defiance, Blessed Death, Sacred Reich? And how do you view the new crop such as Bonded by Blood, Municipal Waste, Evile, Suicidal Angels, Fueled By Fire?

I think healthy would be the word for the day...I'm not so big on reunions, as it is money fuelled in many cases, but bands like Exodus, in my opinion have always been there, and always had something to offer.
The new breed is necessary to carry the flag...it proves that the scene has transcended generations, and had the value that many of us thought as far back as 1982.

Since we are on the subject of thrash. Have you seen the finished Get Thrashed product yet (of course my first question is a direct quote from that documentary)? And what are your thoughts on what Rick Ernst has brought across?

Saw it...love it...a great documentary on how it was, and some great opinions...loved the Exodus segments...and much of what was said by those in the scene but not playing in bands. Again it proves the value of the genre....and Rick depicted it in an honest, forthright way....Hats off!!!!!!

Although Get Thrashed hasn't seen an official DVD release in 2007 another documentary (which was originally intended as just some bonus material for Get Thrashed) has. Rat Skates: Born In The Basement by your original drummer Rat Skates. I was really pleasantly surprised to see that original guitarist Robert Pisarek was even featured (somehow people tend to have forgotten about him in Overkill) But since the entire documentary is from Rat's point of view I would really like to know your perspective on the things he puts forward there.

Who? I can't validate it...I wasn't involved in the making of that DVD, nor was DD...I think if you put the 4 originals in a room...I am speaking of Bobby Gustafson on guitar, you would hear 4 similar, yet different versions of what happened. The core of what was done, why this whole thing of ours existed over 2 decades is the song writing...and the development of non professionals into professionals. The decision of full time, life long commitment, makes this interview possible. The documentary is well done, and Rat is a talented film maker, but it was truly "self-serving", as well as a forum for 1 man's opinion, and complaint.
I think the reason Rob Pisarek is rarely brought up as a founding member, is because we were a cover band at the time, there were few originals written....and none of them made it to a studio. It would be non productive to speak of how well he covered songs as well as uninteresting and invalid. The incorporating of Bobby was the start of Overkill as the world knows it....and that is what is important.

Like mentioned earlier DD and you are the two only original members still in the band, what were the reasons for the others to leave the band (as far as you can remember of course) Dan Spitz probably being the one who gained most of his fame after leaving you guys for another New York thrash band.

Danny to Anthrax...hmmm, money?
Most left of their own accord....even Rat Kundrat (Rat Skates), " I can't take it! it's not what I want!". Others for family, Marino, Gant; Comeau to sing with Annihilator; Cannivino to race bikes; Sid was discontent. Bobby and DD wouldn't work together. So it was primarily the decision of the individual who is now gone. No big rules in Overkill... I think the proof is the side projects...Speed Kill...The Bronx, and the Cursed. You live once, live your life...do what makes you happy...and always add a little chaos.

2007 Saw the release of studio album 14 or 15 which was generally well-received by both press and fans alike and in my opinion saw a return to a thrashier sound by you. So, what are your thoughts on Immortalis now that it's been out for about half a year and you've had time to let the initial rush of releasing a new album wear off? How did the writing and recording process go? Any unforeseen problems there?

15....Good record in the truest sense....it is cohesive, as if all the songs are necessary to create the impact. This was an art form as I grew up....Black Sabbath Vol IV; Machine Head; Stained Class; Ace of Spades...full albums...not just a collection of songs.
The writing as per normal...starting with DD & ending with me...but we had much more time...almost 2 years to complete it...I think the time is the "X" factor.

I have heard some people around me say that Overkill is like the AC/DC or Motörhead of thrash, releasing albums that generally sound alike.
According to them it might be a good thing to not record any more and to solely focus on touring. Have you ever considered such a thing to be an option?

No...though quite a compliment...touring is my motivation, but we don't want that heart attack too soon.

Thanks for taking to the time to answer these questions. And hope to see you around in March. Is there anything you'd like to add as your final words?

Stop by and say hello...looking forward to heading east again, I have always collected great memories from there....the people...the cities.... the SHOWS! Look for me...I'll be the guy sweating his ass off.

Best,
BB

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 223 users
02.02.2008 - 11:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good interwiew
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.02.2008 - 13:33
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Get Thrashed won't be out for another few months, where did you get it from?

And did he answer the question/riddle right, 2000 legs, 2 breast (yeah of course I'm clueless here)
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
02.02.2008 - 13:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bararey on 02.02.2008 at 13:33

Get Thrashed won't be out for another few months, where did you get it from?

And did he answer the question/riddle right, 2000 legs, 2 breast (yeah of course I'm clueless here)

I got a screening copy for my review here at MS directly from the director. And I reviewed it about a year ago.

ABout the riddle... Blitz should be ashamed had he not got it because he himself says in the Get Thrashed documentary: "the on-going joke back in the day was. What has 1000 legs and two breasts? An Overkill show in Germany"
So I qouted him as an opening's question.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2008 - 23:13
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I lol'd at the first question of the interview.
04.02.2008 - 23:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
That was sweet. Interesting points about Rat Skates.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.02.2008 - 17:27
destroyah
supercharger
A good read indeed
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
25.03.2008 - 00:24
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
great band and great interview
thank you Marcel
30.04.2008 - 11:57
Slaytan
Account deleted
nice interview .. and the band rlz
12.06.2008 - 15:40
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Blitz and Overkill are awesome. Great interview Marcel. I love the old school black and white picture too, DD's and Blitz' (I think) hair is great
11.08.2008 - 00:40
THRASHTILDEATH

OVERKILL 4 LIFE @ THARSHTILDEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banger2:

Hits total: 25931 | This month: 21