Metal Storm logo
Alestorm

Original post

Posted by Ellrohir, 05.02.2008 - 20:31
Folk Power metal from Scottland...on 25th of January they have released their debut album Captain Morgan's Revenge...they are quite similar to bands like Turisas or Ensiferum (only instead of Viking warriors they are singing about Caribbean pirates if i am not wrong )

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm (check out Captain Morgan's Revenge )
30.12.2008 - 20:12
PM
Hail Lusitânia
I like Alestorm! I like the pirate scene, so... I think they are similar to Grave Digger in some way...
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
31.12.2008 - 07:56
Hellmouth
Account deleted
I love this band! Loved since last year when I heard the song Wenches and Mead!

And I'll happily be going to see them next year.
31.12.2008 - 17:46
Black_Sheep
I hate the folk metal thing, it doesn't fit this bad at all. They would be much better if they were just PM. Anyone who likes "pirate metal" should check out Running Wild, it's much better imo.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
04.01.2009 - 23:52
HammerHorde
Alestorm is great! I have always liked pirates and their music really fits the "pirates drinking rum in the middle of a ridiculously huge storm with the boat getting thrown all over the place" category! lol

Ryan
Hammer Horde
www.hammerhorde.com
----
Ryan
Hammer Horde
http://hammerhorde.com
05.01.2009 - 00:36
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well I enjoyed "Captain Morgan's Revenge" it's kinda funny, also their las EP "Leviathan" is very entertaining, maybe nothing to take them seriously, but I find them enjoyable, but very, very repetitive.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
10.01.2009 - 15:34
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
I just read on a promotional Napalm Records banner that Alestorm are "unique Scottish pirate metal". Well, they're kind of unique in a way that no other band would want to sound/look like them, so there you have it. This band can in no way be taken seriously...

Anyway, the point is I really don't understand what the fuss is all about - but it's probably me though

Written by Bad English on 05.02.2008 at 20:48

I check IMO its be one of best album of 2008

Seriously?
----
Your favorite band sucks.
10.01.2009 - 19:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Thryce on 10.01.2009 at 15:34

I just read on a promotional Napalm Records banner that Alestorm are "unique Scottish pirate metal". Well, they're kind of unique in a way that no other band would want to sound/look like them, so there you have it. This band can in no way be taken seriously...

Anyway, the point is I really don't understand what the fuss is all about - but it's probably me though

Written by Bad English on 05.02.2008 at 20:48

I check IMO its be one of best album of 2008

Seriously?

Damn... And I thought that Bad Engilsh was an elitist or something . I agree.. I don't see the fuss over this band. It sucks...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.01.2009 - 23:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Thryce on 10.01.2009 at 15:34

They are fairly unique in the theme/imagery they use, not the music itself.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.01.2009 - 07:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Thrashard on 28.12.2008 at 11:30

Have you seen them recently? Also, have you heard the two new tracks? Yeah the new stuff is definitely more prog. They're stage presense isn't bad, but they just seem a little disorganized.

Actually saw them again a few nights ago at Verns, music wasn't bad, but their stage presence still lacks, they are just as stoic as ever. And the two tracks aren't exactly "new", I remember hearing them for the first time at the ship & anchor back in june (june maybe? Possibly may....I can't quite remember). It could be that I've seen them so many times by now (seeing as they manage to get an opening slot for a lot of Warehouse shows, not mention various other bars I've seen them at, then the Mac Hall shows) its kind of hard to get into them same set over and over. But now that I listen to it - where is this thrash you're talking about?

Sorry for getting off topic mods....
----
- George Carlin
09.04.2009 - 11:37
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
How can anyone just hate this band??!! XD

They are supposed to be taken as serious as a group of drunken happy pirates... it's just fun and that's it.
If the lyrics wasn't ''childish'' and stupid the band wouldnt be as fun as it is. The little story on ''Over the Seas'' is great, he even does the voice of the old sea wolf ''Ill give ya the map, if ya giv me som gold!''

''Flower of scotland'' looks like a frickin wedding song XD..

All very original and fun, but this next album looks like its gonna suck, from what i've heard so far ("Keelhauled") there are more folk parts, but it doesn't feel right... the sound quality on their myspace was horrible
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.04.2009 - 00:55
Nardy7
Haha, these guys just put me in the mood to stand up, hook my finger, and yell "Arghhh!"
11.04.2009 - 11:04
annodomini
The new album is pretty enjoyable, i believe i will be listening for it from time to time.
----
the riddle wants to be...
11.04.2009 - 22:14
Zelse
Is the new album out? I haven't even heard news of it yet... I need to look into this!

Love the band, though. A few 'bleh' tracks on the debut (Of Treasure, Flower of Scotland, Nancy the Tavern Wench for example) but the rest are solid. Can't wait to hear what's in store on the next album...
11.04.2009 - 23:06
Janne
Hugin
Written by Zelse on 11.04.2009 at 22:14

Is the new album out? I haven't even heard news of it yet... I need to look into this!

Love the band, though. A few 'bleh' tracks on the debut (Of Treasure, Flower of Scotland, Nancy the Tavern Wench for example) but the rest are solid. Can't wait to hear what's in store on the next album...

I don't think it is already out... it is released in May, isn't it?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.04.2009 - 23:34
Zelse
According to Metal Archives:

Release dates:
May 27 - Finland, Spain
May 29 - Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, France, Italy, Spain
June 01 - Rest of Europe
June 02 - USA, Canada

Sweet, only a couple months til it's out in the US...
16.04.2009 - 12:22
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
I have listened to their new album, but it's not really great in my opinion.
02.06.2009 - 15:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I find it almost perfect at least for genre "drining folk metal"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.06.2009 - 00:32
BattleHamster
I got their new album yesterday and listened to it. I don't like it as much as their first, but maybe it'll grow on me.
04.06.2009 - 07:23
Janne
Hugin
I also got it and listened to it once. There's nothing new on it. Maybe because I have already known half of the songs..
But it's okay, I don't want them to change. And I think I'll like after some more listen.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
09.06.2009 - 21:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lol these guys's music is so cheesy yet so incredibly fun... they're like the Rhapsody of Folk Metal

"HAIL HAIL I WANT MORE WENCHES LOTS OF WENCHES AND MEAD!!"

i can only imagine how epic it would be to hear this band in a festival, fun would be an understatement..

EDIT: HOLY SHIT i'm imagining a drunken pogo session in the audience with Wenches and Mead playing in the background.... :O
10.06.2009 - 16:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Also i remember someone advertised his band here once as "True Scottish Pirate Metal" - i vaguely remember it though, can some of the older members(though i suspect they don't wander this thread too often ) confirm it?
02.07.2009 - 01:44
JÄY
Metal slave
Love the first album
Love the new album
Love them live
03.07.2009 - 16:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Uirapuru on 09.04.2009 at 11:37

They are supposed to be taken as serious as a group of drunken happy pirates... it's just fun and that's it.

I truly enjoy fun music and I'm sure most of the people here also do. The problem is that most of the people I know hate this band because it's fun music... but it's not funny. Just plain stupid.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.07.2009 - 15:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
2Mr. Doctor: i think this will be the reason i like them so much...
----

26.07.2009 - 19:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
About the new album...i knew it is good (for me)...but today i played it again and i stood sit on my back...every single song from this album i enjoy...it is even better than last years debut...
----

30.07.2009 - 10:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.07.2009 at 16:12

Written by Uirapuru on 09.04.2009 at 11:37

I truly enjoy fun music and I'm sure most of the people here also do. The problem is that most of the people I know hate this band because it's fun music... but it's not funny. Just plain stupid.

Agreed. It just sounds so...plastic. What I would describe as a "fun" band would be a band like Anthrax. You can tell by the music and some of the vocals that they have a lot of fun, while at the same time actually put a lot of thought into it, they didn't need a goofy theme to push their music.
----
- George Carlin
30.07.2009 - 10:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It is like listening to Korpiklaani...some "deep musical experience" isnt the purpose here...
----

30.07.2009 - 10:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Ellrohir on 30.07.2009 at 10:17

It is like listening to Korpiklaani...some "deep musical experience" isnt the purpose here...

What a coincidence, Korpiklaani has the same effect on me.
----
- George Carlin
31.08.2009 - 12:34
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Cool band, definitely a drinking band
01.09.2009 - 06:17
Piranha_Kill
YYYAAARRGGGHHH!!

Thought they sounded a bit too camp on the first spin, then i found myself singing along, swinging my arms dancing in circles with a beer held high.

Great band imo.
----
What do ya mean, booze ain't food! I'd rather chop off my ding-dong than admit that.
44 mins of target practice, all hell's breaking loose........Firefight with a Pocketknife...