Metal Storm logo
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! review

Reviewer:

1300 users:
Band: Megadeth
Album: Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!
Style: Thrash metal
Release date: June 1985

01. Last Rites / Loved To Death
02. Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good
03. Skull Beneath The Skin
04. These Boots [Nancy Sinatra cover]
05. Rattlehead
06. Chosen Ones
07. Looking Down The Cross
08. Mechanix
09. Last Rites/Loved To Deth [demo] [2002 re-release bonus]
10. Mechanix [demo] [2002 re-release bonus]
11. The Skull Beneath The Skin [demo] [2002 re-release bonus]

On most debut albums the songs are all very good - it's most likely a best of from all the years the band existed before they got a record deal. But unfortunately, the band is not famous enough to get a lot of money for the production. This album is a little bit special on both points - first of all this album was released not so long after Dave Mustaine's departure from Metallica so, this is not an album with songs composed over five years or something like that. And about the production... I heard rumours that the band spent most of the money they got for the recording on sex, drugs and booze, which resulted in a sound a bit too raw for my taste. Of course, old school Bay Area Thrash should sound not like Enya, but there is a limit after which even my ears start to hurt. It's not the worst thing that was ever recorded, but it takes some points away from an album that is actually very good.

Indeed, I find no fillers on this album - every track provides something. Still they aren't very different from each other, all tracks are fast tracks with furious riffing and angry vocals from Dave. Lyrics are really catchy and you will learn to sing along the choruses after a few spins. Strophes like "A dose of metal you need, to bang your head til you bleed, it's time for snapping some neck, slashing, thrashing to Megadeth!" are exactly as sophisticated as lyrics to a thrash song should be. And who can't just love the witty album title? The overall performance needs some polish, but it's very good for a debut.

Original? Well, original enough at the time it was released - this is one of the first thrash albums, I even believe that it was classified as Speed Metal since the term 'thrash' wasn't fully invented yet. I suppose I have to compare it with the only other thrash debut that is more well-known - 'Kill'Em All'. Well, I prefer this one! Compare 'Mechanix' with 'The Four Horsemen' and you will hopefully be on my side!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 6

Written by Spyroid | 03.02.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
Dave Mustaine, as all know him, was not born 48 years ago in La Mesa California. Dave Mustaine was born in 1983 when he was betrayed by his closest friends and cast from their ranks. He went and recruited warriors for his cause so that vengence could be had. Upon the release of this debut album it would seem Dave was out for blood. Indeed, killing became his business, and business was good.

Read more ››
published 14.01.2009 | Comments (1)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Finally, with the "Final Kill" version of Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!, we get some mixes that allow the music to shine through. This album has such complexities that previous mixes never managed to do justice. Killing Is My Business... blends technicality, heaviness and a jazzy approach to produce a near concise classic. The songs are strong, and sadly overlooked when it comes to 'Deth's back catalog.

Read more ››
published 07.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 33   Visited by: 167 users
13.03.2014 - 01:19
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This album is a little gem, and I actually prefer the original production over the remaster. I love the eerie, grimy sound of the original, and the songs are all great. The creepy as hell "Skull Beneath The Skin", and the understated majesty of "Looking Down The Cross" are probably the best songs on this one, but I love all the songs.
13.03.2014 - 20:24
Rating: 9
pkillerjp

Written by deadone on 11.03.2014 at 00:12

My only problem with the re-mastered version I have is they had to bleep all the foul bits on "These Boots" cause of legal reasons.

Fun little album, though to commit complete heresy I prefer Kill Em All to it. And I am a borderline Megadeth fanboy...

I'd rate Kill Em All as the best of the Big 4 debuts. Killing's My Business is great stuff, but it doesn't have the riffs or the songwriting of Kill Em All..
10.02.2019 - 21:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hehe many spend their money in sex, bozze and drugs, live quality costs
Originality, for that time it is, it was what can hit a nail and give money. Suit wearing men saw it and made even more money(and belly) as artist did. they became rich.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8434 | This month: 10