Metal Storm logo
The Four Horsemen (Metallica) vs Mechanix (Megadeth)

Original post

Posted by DIE_by_my_HAND, 17.05.2006 - 04:29
These two songs almost encapsulate the continuing battle between Megadeth, Metallica, and their fans. On the one hand you've got the origional "The Four Horsemen" on Metallica's debut "Kill 'Em All" album which was a speedy, furious epic about Hell's messengers. Now, you have to remember that Dave Mustaine was still in Metallica when The Four Horsement was written and had a part in writing it, so one can understand him being pissed off about being kicked out of the band right when it was on it's way up and wanting to write a "F**K YOU!" comeback song to get back at his former band. And sure enough, with Megadeth's first release, "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" came that song simply called "Mechanix" which had the exact same riffs as The Four Horsemen except for the altered intro.

Now, to me, both songs speak greatly of the fued between these two thrash bands, however, The Four Horsemen seems to be more controlled and clean, while Mechanix sounds a bit more sloppy, and rushed (due to its quicker tempo). The reason for this sound was probably Mustaine's being so anxious for his new bands debut to get out as quick as possible so it could compete with Kill 'Em All and possibly Metallica's next record. Regardless of it's rushed sound, you can definitely hear the anger in Mustaine's voice and even in his guitar playing, which makes it an all out angry, aggressive song.

Finally, my choice (since I'm being forced to chose) would have to be The Four Horsemen because of it's overall cleaner sound despite the emotion which is present in Mechanix.

Poll

The Four Horsemen or Mechanix?

The Four Horsemen
Mechanix

Total votes: 280
03.04.2010 - 17:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 15.11.2008 at 09:04

The Four Horsemen is Masterpiece, and for me its the best song of kill em all, but but what the hell can I talk about the Mechanix?! I cant find the words to Criticize the fuckin song.

now i know the profile is deleted and he'll never see this but what the hell, with out the mechanix no four horsemen there you go.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.04.2010 - 09:14
Okay Four Horsemen is a great song from one of metallica's best albums, but i prefer the guitars on megadeth's mechanix. having said that dave mustaine created the riffs for the song so i guess he is entitled to claim it as his
15.05.2010 - 10:27
Rambam
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanix
10.07.2010 - 07:21
cjguitar40
Uhmm utter moron alert , >>>MECHANIX was the original song!<<< It was regurgitated and slowed down by Hetfield and Co. for the Kill 'Em All LP with different lyrics. Get it in your head that MUSTAINE was the true metal maniac who wrote so MUCH of Metallica's best and wildest riffs and songs. Why is that so hard for people to understand? You keep comparing early Metallica material with Megadeth like they are totally different entities. It's like saying Ronnie James Dio was a better singer than the guy who sang with Rainbow. And don't get all BUTTHURT you purist Metallica fans. I'm just telling you as a musician that when I play JUMP IN THE FIRE, SEEK AND DESTROY, TORNADO OF SOULS, 4 HORSEMEN, SHE-WOLF, etc. on my electric guitar , you can feel the metal power in the riffs.. and guess what .. You can thank Mustaine for that which makes early Metallica and also Megadeth so worthy to listen to and so damn heavy. What a wildly creative maniac !
10.07.2010 - 08:05
Weaponz248
MECHANIX.. Dave is the best. And like cjguitar said MECHANIX was first.
10.07.2010 - 09:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely "The Four Horsemen". Dave obviously has to be given immense credit for coming up with the main skeleton of the song, but the two parts that James, Lars, and Kirk added themselves (The ''Famine, Pestilence'' part, and the melodic solo section) just make the song sound complete. Not to mention the original lyrics that Dave came up with are dumb. I like the speed and the aggression in ''The Mechanix'', but the far superior lyrics and extra parts make me choose "The Four Horsemen".

Written by cjguitar40 on 10.07.2010 at 07:21

Uhmm utter moron alert , >>>MECHANIX was the original song!<<< It was regurgitated and slowed down by Hetfield and Co. for the Kill 'Em All LP with different lyrics. Get it in your head that MUSTAINE was the true metal maniac who wrote so MUCH of Metallica's best and wildest riffs and songs. Why is that so hard for people to understand? You keep comparing early Metallica material with Megadeth like they are totally different entities. It's like saying Ronnie James Dio was a better singer than the guy who sang with Rainbow. And don't get all BUTTHURT you purist Metallica fans. I'm just telling you as a musician that when I play JUMP IN THE FIRE, SEEK AND DESTROY, TORNADO OF SOULS, 4 HORSEMEN, SHE-WOLF, etc. on my electric guitar , you can feel the metal power in the riffs.. and guess what .. You can thank Mustaine for that which makes early Metallica and also Megadeth so worthy to listen to and so damn heavy. What a wildly creative maniac !

You've just shot yourself in the foot there matey! Dave didnt write ANY of "Seek And Destroy". So no, I will not thank Mustaine for a song in which he had no hand in writing! So many Megadeth/Dave fanboys try and claim Dave ''wrote'' the first 2 albums, and even the third! Its just hilarious. Dave CO-WROTE 4 songs on Kill Em All (of which "Seek And Destroy" is not one of them) not the whole thing, and James had already written ''Hit The Lights'' and performed it with Lars and another guitarist before Dave even joined. Dave definitely deserves credit for his work in early Metallica, but too many fanboys make it out as if there'd be no Metallica, or thrash of it wasnt for Dave, which is nonsense.

Like "The Four Horsemen", the original version of "Jump In The Fire" had dumb lyrics about sex. (Which Dave originally wrote) James totally changed the lyrics because he thought they were stupid, and I agree. lol At the time, bands like Metallica were denouncing the glam scene, which was filled with lyrics about sex. So Im not surprised that James wanted to further distance Metallica away from that stuff. Not just musically, but lyrically as well. xD
10.07.2010 - 10:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
I like the speed of "The Mechanix", but I'll have to go with "The Four Horsemen".
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.03.2014 - 17:49
andyschultz
The Four Horsemen is a Dave Mustaine classic and was good enough to be on a Metalica album, no one can deny that Mechanix is the same music different lyrics and Mustaine probably did that because at the time he was very very bitter about the whole situation, so what better way to get back at them then by trying to get more successful then Metallica by trying to make their song better. so in short both are great but Four Horsemen is better.
20.03.2014 - 09:14
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by deadone on 12.03.2014 at 01:17

As a Megadeth fanboy, I'll go for Metallica's Four Horsemen.

Second this.

I wish it were otherwise but fact is, Mechanix sounds like shit when compared to Four Horsemen. Still Dave obviously wrote near all the instrumentation to Both songs so he should get credit for Four Horsemen regardless.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
20.03.2014 - 12:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by AngelofDeth on 20.03.2014 at 09:14
Second this.

I wish it were otherwise but fact is, Mechanix sounds like shit when compared to Four Horsemen. Still Dave obviously wrote near all the instrumentation to Both songs so he should get credit for Four Horsemen regardless.

Nah, to me it isn't really the sound which makes me prefer The Four Horsemen. It's really the addition of the two musical parts which Dave didn't contribute to, and the far superior lyrics provided by James, which makes The Four Horsemen a better song than Mechanix. I actually prefer the rawer sound of Mechanix, and the fact that it's played faster. But overall, The Four Horsemen takes it for me.
21.03.2014 - 00:31
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.03.2014 at 12:04

Written by AngelofDeth on 20.03.2014 at 09:14
Second this.

Nah, to me it isn't really the sound which makes me prefer The Four Horsemen.

..Isn't that all a song really is, sound?? ...

You can't see, touch or smell a song only hear it, which means you can only truly experience the sound of a song(I guess technically you could feel its vibrations and LSD maybe able to make you cross your senses but thats aside the point)

Maybe you meant the "quality" of the audio/recording? In that case I still wasn't though. I agree that the lyrics/vox, tempo(imo) and differing passages all culminate to simply make The Four Horsemen sound better, nothing to do with recording quality as both have quite shitty production value.

And sorry don't mean to be a d*ck but I just hate when people start comments out with some sort of "nah", "nope", "no" as if their opinion automatically trumps the other persons, very annoying. (Especially when we seem to be at agreement about Four Horsemen being better anyway...)
----
pewpew.. gotcha
21.03.2014 - 00:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by AngelofDeth on 21.03.2014 at 00:31
...Isn't that all a song really is, sound?? ...
You can't see, touch or smell a song only hear it, which means you can only truly experience the sound of a song(I guess technically you could feel its vibrations and LSD maybe able to make you cross your senses but thats aside the point)

Maybe you meant the "quality" of the audio/recording? In that case I still wasn't though. I agree that the lyrics/vox, tempo(imo) and differing passages all culminate to simply make The Four Horsemen sound better, nothing to do with recording quality as both have quite shitty production value.

And sorry don't mean to be a d*ck but I just hate when people start comments out with some sort of "nah", "nope", "no" as if their opinion automatically trumps the other persons, very annoying. (Especially when we seem to be at agreement about Four Horsemen being better anyway...)

When I said "sound", I was reffering to the production. "Mechanix" definitely sounds rawer than "The Four Horsemen", and I love that aspect of it, plus the more aggressive delivery of the song. In all other aspects though, I prefer "The Four Horsemen".

Anyone who has been around here for a long time, and has seen many of my posts knows that I see my opinion on music as exactly that. Merely an opinion. I used to include "IMO" in the majority of my posts when I posted my own opinion about things, as I didn't want people to jump to the sort of conclusions you just have, and take issue with me over it. I don't do that as much these days, but maybe I should start doing it more again. The "nah" was just a figure of speech, and a way of stating that I disagreed about the "sound" thing, it certainly wasn't meant as in that I viewed your opinion as inferior to mine. Which I don't think is the case at all. Your opinion is just as valid as mine.
21.03.2014 - 06:29
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Angelic Storm on 21.03.2014 at 00:46

When I said "sound", I was reffering to the production. "Mechanix" definitely sounds rawer than "The Four Horsemen", and I love that aspect of it, plus the more aggressive delivery of the song. In all other aspects though, I prefer "The Four Horsemen".

Anyone who has been around here for a long time, and has seen many of my posts knows that I see my opinion on music as exactly that. Merely an opinion. I used to include "IMO" in the majority of my posts when I posted my own opinion about things, as I didn't want people to jump to the sort of conclusions you just have, and take issue with me over it. I don't do that as much these days, but maybe I should start doing it more again. The "nah" was just a figure of speech, and a way of stating that I disagreed about the "sound" thing, it certainly wasn't meant as in that I viewed your opinion as inferior to mine. Which I don't think is the case at all. Your opinion is just as valid as mine.

I see, I just meant sound in general, while you production. Just a little mis-communication
----
pewpew.. gotcha
21.03.2014 - 10:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by AngelofDeth on 21.03.2014 at 06:29
I see, I just meant sound in general, while you production. Just a little mis-communication

Well, as a whole, I definitely prefer "The Four Horsemen", and yep this was simply a case of crossed wires. lol
22.03.2014 - 21:13
john_mcc
The Four Horsemen. Mechanix may have been the original song but Metallica improved it both musically and lyrically to turn it into The Four Horsemen.
19.07.2014 - 00:28
Slagmark
Mechanix. No contest. I get really bored whenever listening to four horsemen due to the lack of pace.
----
https://soundcloud.com/algulsiento/sets/confined
https://www.facebook.com/AlgulSiento
19.07.2014 - 17:12
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Tough choice tbh. Mechanix is so fucking angry it's awesome, but the lyrics? Come on... Four Horsemen at least is interesting in that aspect (not exceptional, but still)

Voted Mechanix in the end for the faster pace
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
22.07.2014 - 00:49
Guib
Thrash Talker
The Four Horsemen... it's simply better on almost every account.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
31.07.2014 - 08:22
Totenlieder
I like both songs.
Four Horsemen is more polished which is all fine and dandy but I kind of like the more raw feeling of Mechanix.
I guess it'd be a tie for me.
----
Blut & Krieg
28.09.2014 - 04:30
I love both songs as well. Each song has something different to offer. However, I am in the mood for the Four Horseman more often.
----
Like female-fronted power metal? Check out Heliosaga.
heliosaga.com
https://www.facebook.com/Heliosaga
Metal Storm review: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12934