Metal Storm logo
The Four Horsemen (Metallica) vs Mechanix (Megadeth)

Original post

Posted by DIE_by_my_HAND, 17.05.2006 - 04:29
These two songs almost encapsulate the continuing battle between Megadeth, Metallica, and their fans. On the one hand you've got the origional "The Four Horsemen" on Metallica's debut "Kill 'Em All" album which was a speedy, furious epic about Hell's messengers. Now, you have to remember that Dave Mustaine was still in Metallica when The Four Horsement was written and had a part in writing it, so one can understand him being pissed off about being kicked out of the band right when it was on it's way up and wanting to write a "F**K YOU!" comeback song to get back at his former band. And sure enough, with Megadeth's first release, "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" came that song simply called "Mechanix" which had the exact same riffs as The Four Horsemen except for the altered intro.

Now, to me, both songs speak greatly of the fued between these two thrash bands, however, The Four Horsemen seems to be more controlled and clean, while Mechanix sounds a bit more sloppy, and rushed (due to its quicker tempo). The reason for this sound was probably Mustaine's being so anxious for his new bands debut to get out as quick as possible so it could compete with Kill 'Em All and possibly Metallica's next record. Regardless of it's rushed sound, you can definitely hear the anger in Mustaine's voice and even in his guitar playing, which makes it an all out angry, aggressive song.

Finally, my choice (since I'm being forced to chose) would have to be The Four Horsemen because of it's overall cleaner sound despite the emotion which is present in Mechanix.

Poll

The Four Horsemen or Mechanix?

The Four Horsemen
Mechanix

Total votes: 279
13.11.2008 - 14:27
Demonmayonnaise

I do have something to say. Did you start crying when you read the first sentence of my post and stop reading it. You said that Megadeths good albums were with Marty. I said youre wrong about that. Chris Poland played on Killing is my business and peace sells, and peace sells is imo their best album. Jeff young played on sfsgsw, which is also a good album. You state your opinion like its a fact, when in fact you dont have a clue what youre talking about.
13.11.2008 - 19:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
From this page onwards I am crurently going to delete ALL posts that have nothing to do with this topic
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2008 - 13:28
BrightNight

Difficult to say marcel. I like both versions of this song. Dave should have credits for it though. Metallica changed the song a bit (changed the lyrics and added a new bridge section) after they kicked him out, and as you say i always thought to, you could hear Dave's anger in his (orignal) version. Which i think is pretty cool. But i like James voice a bit more because its rawer and fits the Thrashy sound better in my opinion. For the solo im not sure. For the riffing....I like the way Metallica plays it, its slower but more heavy. But....i also like the fast riffing of Megadeth's version.

So both are great in their own way, but I might stick a little bit more with the Metallica version.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
15.11.2008 - 09:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
The Four Horsemen is Masterpiece, and for me its the best song of kill em all, but but what the hell can I talk about the Mechanix?! I cant find the words to Criticize the fuckin song.
15.11.2008 - 16:43
Demonmayonnaise

Written by Guest on 15.11.2008 at 09:04

The Four Horsemen is Masterpiece, and for me its the best song of kill em all, but but what the hell can I talk about the Mechanix?! I cant find the words to Criticize the fuckin song.

How about just as good if not better than the four horseman...
27.11.2008 - 06:54
wormdrink414

Love both, but the four horsemen was the reason I started listening to good music, giving it a great deal of sentimental value for me. That and it tears the listener to fucking shreds, early thrash at its finest.
27.11.2008 - 16:28
2bearocknnot2rol

This was pretty hard, but considering that it was orginally written by Dave and its the original! Mechanix Wins
27.11.2008 - 17:47
Luciferion

Im gonna go with Four Horseman, mostly cause i heard it first and for me Mechanix is based on that, so going with the orignal.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
28.11.2008 - 19:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Luciferion on 27.11.2008 at 17:47

Im gonna go with Four Horseman, mostly cause i heard it first and for me Mechanix is based on that, so going with the orignal.

Once again... The Four Horsemen is based on The Mechanix and not the other way around.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.11.2008 - 20:11
Luciferion

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.11.2008 at 19:52

Written by Luciferion on 27.11.2008 at 17:47

Once again... The Four Horsemen is based on The Mechanix and not the other way around.

hence why i said "and for me" based on what i heard first. I wouldn't doubt it's the otehr way around.

Also i meant it not as the amterial is absed on who wrote it first but more about my opinion. Hearing one of teh two first means your second opinion is gonna be based on waht u heard first . Guess i shoulda said "and for me, my view of Mechanix is based on what i heard first" on it. but meh wahtever.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
04.12.2008 - 05:55
gargantour
Account deleted
Well i think mechanix is definitely dave's vision and his alone, but its been kinda hindered without the players he intended them for when HE was in metallica: that is, James' raw vocals and thrashy (yet controlled) riffing, Lars' heart thumping beat, cliff's leading bass. Not to discredit the musicianship and talent of Megadeth's lineup then but mechanix (four horsemen) was definitely intended for dave's buddies in metallica and not megadeth, regardless of who actually wrote the song.

oh yeah i like four horsemen. that is to say though, i thought the middle section was quite tacked on and unnecessary, and kirk's solos were painfully amateurish pentatonics. the ideal version would definitetly be the one in no life 'til leather where dave is the lead.
23.02.2009 - 16:49
seely
Account deleted
"Horsemen are drawing nearer.....!!!"
23.02.2009 - 20:13
Thrashard

My vote goes to the four horsemen. I like the lyrics, vocals and the slower tempo makes it sound a little heavier. Mechanix is definitely faster, and Mustaine was obviously trying to out thrash his ex band mates, but it sounds sloppy and the vocals bother me sometimes.
23.02.2009 - 20:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Thrashard on 23.02.2009 at 20:13

My vote goes to the four horsemen. I like the lyrics, vocals and the slower tempo makes it sound a little heavier. Mechanix is definitely faster, and Mustaine was obviously trying to out thrash his ex band mates, but it sounds sloppy and the vocals bother me sometimes.

Finally someone who comes up with legitimate reasons why he prefers the version he prefers. And doesn't go off on to a stupid Metallica-hate or Megadeth-hate tangent.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2009 - 03:38
gilamonster
Account deleted
The Mechanix, by far. The Four Horsemen isn't bad, but I gotta give props to the original. Not to mention it's faster and angrier, much like everything else Megadeth did back then.

It also helps that I prefer Mustaine's vocals over Hetfields. Man what a wacky vocal style.
01.05.2009 - 03:16
ToMegaTherion

Without question, Mechanix wins this hands down. It is a faster catchier song which is much better to see performed live. An easy decision for me.
01.05.2009 - 03:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.02.2009 at 20:19

Finally someone who comes up with legitimate reasons why he prefers the version he prefers. And doesn't go off on to a stupid Metallica-hate or Megadeth-hate tangent.

well, Lars is a prick over that whole Napster thing, not to mention burying Newsted's bass in the "... And Justice" mix.

on the other hand Dave is acknowledged as one of the biggest pricks in the music world.

i haven't bothered to listen to anything new either band has put out in the last 14-15 years.

so i opt for none of the above and cast my imaginary ballot for The Clash's "Four Horsemen."

----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.05.2009 - 23:33
Omegabyss
Account deleted
The 4 horseman is a great song... a good thrash metal song... its just, Megadeths is just faster, heavier and meaner..... it makes 4 horsman look like phil collins!!! SU SU SU SUDEO!!!!
26.05.2009 - 23:50
Duckyouck
Account deleted
I like Metallica's Four Horsemen better, because of the slower tempo. Mechanix sounds a bit rushed, like Dave Mustaine really wanted to show that he can play faster than Metallica. Therefore there are some sloppy sounds that is a bit annoying. The solo in Mechanix is just mess to me. It is too many notes and to fast for me to feel any of the music. The solo in Four Horsemen has a lot of pentatonics, yes, but at least you can hear what he is playing. Oh, and I can't stand the way Dave sings! I know it's supposed to sound angry or something like that, but to me it sounds like he's shitting while singing!
09.06.2009 - 02:16
jumpg8
Account deleted
Technically the Mechanix was first AND played by Metallica with Mustane in the band. It wasn't until Dave left the band that he took the lyrics and music with him and then Metallica created the 4 horsemen lyrics to replace what was Dave's creation. Obviously they collaborated on the music and thus both have rights to it. The proof is in the pudding.... Just look at this 1983 performance sans Kurt with James screeching out those lovely lyrics based on naughty acts using auto mechanic speak. HA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncKNdmST2E

As to which I like better? The Four Horsemen is darker and more serious. The Mechanix is more silly and dirty. I pick darkness over silliness every time!
20.06.2009 - 20:45
muztayne

The Four Horsemen pwns Mechanix IMO. It was more agressive and the added solo in the middle is just great. MEchanix on the other hand, was sloppy. They just played it really fast and I could barely understand what Mustaine was saying.
29.06.2009 - 20:34
MikeH
Account deleted
Mechanix
Mustain (Megadeth) deserves the vote because he was part in writing both.
03.08.2009 - 05:12
Alkaline

I like the riffs Metallica added to the song heck I like it more than the original just because of the added riffs the Mechanix is great though.
07.11.2009 - 17:43
SatyriconChick

"The Four Horsemen." No contest here at all. The riffs are so much chunkier and heavy, and the slow part with the guitar solo is awesome!
20.01.2010 - 04:33
thewall30

Mechanix, because first of all the song is much faster and secondly its pretty much Dave Mustaine's song in the first place...
----
24.01.2010 - 01:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Mechanix it's the original...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.01.2010 - 01:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Mechanix it's the original...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.01.2010 - 02:16
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
The Four Horsemen, as its awesome.
25.01.2010 - 16:37
Mansdone

I like both equally but I have to give the edge to Four Horsemen. I think Megadeth produced it better and gave it really clear and powerful sound with Mechanix, but I like the lyrics from Four horsemen a lot better.
----
As the thrash pounds through your head
Pound your drinks
Tonight we shred
- Municipal Waste -
25.01.2010 - 16:43
macraigma

I don't have the album Mechanix is on =( so I won't vote. The Four Horsemen is an excellent song and would be hard to compare.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"