Metal Storm logo
Wuthering Heights

Original post

Posted by GT, 12.06.2006 - 21:52
Think the time has come to create a topic for Wuthering Heights.

It's a Danish band playing a great mix of folk, power and symphonic metal. They began in 1989 under different names and released their first album (Within) as WH in 1999.

I myself only have their third album "Far From The Madding Crowd". This is one of the best albums I own. The music and the lyrics are just perfect and goes very well with the voice of Nils Patrik Johansson and the backing vocals of Erik Ravn (the founder of the band and the writer of almost all their lyrics and music).

That's pretty much what I know at the moment. Tell me what you think of the band, their gigs and so on.

For mp3 go to http://www.wuthering-heights.dk/sounds/index.html
11.09.2008 - 19:26
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just learned that they will release a new album in December called Salt. I can't wait
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
01.11.2008 - 15:06
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Damn they gave a good show yesterday at ProgPower. Too bad the sound wasn't the best though.
----

03.11.2008 - 21:56
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Totally forgot to mention that I got my copy of Far From The Madding Crowd signed by the band on Friday
----

05.11.2008 - 16:04
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
If some of you out there are interested, I've just uploaded my photos of WH from ProgPower. Go to the band page or click here to see them.
----

07.11.2008 - 22:36
PM
Hail Lusitânia
Wow, a new album in December? That would be really cool!

Im anxious and curious, you never know what to wait from these mad dudes hehe... And let's hope they keep it that way !
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
08.11.2008 - 12:05
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I cant wait to hear it (first time ive said that for a band in awhile). Most of the time i know the album wont meet my expectations before i even hear it.
17.12.2008 - 19:47
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Anyone have any info about the new album? MA says it will be released on the 20th, but I can't confirm that anywhere
----

22.12.2008 - 17:49
Baz Anderson
Staff
Well it obviously hasn't been released yet. Hahaha.. can't find any information on the internet unfortunately..
Hopefully we'll soon find out what is happening with it and when we will be able to hear it!!
23.12.2008 - 10:03
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Obviously it hasn't It would have been cool to have it released before x-mas so you would have a chance to drown all the carols. Probably won't be out until next year
----

17.02.2009 - 21:38
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Still no news about the album I guess Too bad really, but I'm still very much looking forward to it.
----

20.02.2009 - 17:29
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Ha! Found some news about the new album here. Looks like we still have a fair bit of waiting a head of us but as long as things are moving it ain't all bad
----

18.03.2009 - 07:25
Hrothdane
I just listened to The Shadow Cabinet today and...wow. I listened to the whole album 4 times. Every song felt like a masterpiece. And the vocalist! I'm kicking myself for never getting around to listening to this band sooner! Can't say I'm that surprised though, I love progressive power metal AND folk metal.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
18.03.2009 - 09:17
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Hrothdane on 18.03.2009 at 07:25

I just listened to The Shadow Cabinet today and...wow. I listened to the whole album 4 times. Every song felt like a masterpiece. And the vocalist! I'm kicking myself for never getting around to listening to this band sooner! Can't say I'm that surprised though, I love progressive power metal AND folk metal.

Haha that's awesome dude. Welcome to the very exclusive WH-fan club You must try Far From The Madding Crowd. It's not as dark as The Shadow Cabinet, but it's also very good
----

11.09.2009 - 09:55
RyanH
Tree!
12.09.2009 - 12:52
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@RyanH: that's clever! A good song yes, but you could try expanding your otherwise intelligent post since I feel it lacks a bit
----

12.09.2009 - 12:53
Baz Anderson
Staff
Do we know when a new Wuthering Heights album might be ready yet?
13.09.2009 - 18:45
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 12.09.2009 at 12:53

Do we know when a new Wuthering Heights album might be ready yet?

Last time I talked to Erik (at the Sabaton and HammerFall show in Copenhagen) he said that they were busy recording and it should be ready at the end of the year. Would be nice with an update from them
----

28.10.2009 - 19:37
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Hmm still no news about the new album. Probably not going to be out until 2010
----

17.02.2010 - 22:57
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
So any one have opinions on the new song The Desperate Poet? I really like it (no surprise I guess). It's a typical WH song, so if you like FFTMC or Shadow Cabinet you'll probably like it too
----

18.02.2010 - 10:18
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yeh, I listened to it once - seemed very good. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.
20.10.2010 - 13:14
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Has anyone been able to find the Mike Oldfield cover listed as a bonus track? I've only seen it mentioned in a studio report from the recording of the album, but haven't been able to find it on any releases yet and I would really like to hear it
----

25.12.2010 - 07:03
snipo101
Oh wow, just found these guys the other day on accident. I was clicking on related videos for Manticora and "Demon Desire" popped up. Needless to say I was sucked in, and now I cannot get their lyrics out of my head. I got The Shadow Cabinet and was wondering what other albums I should purchase.
26.12.2010 - 05:55
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by snipo101 on 25.12.2010 at 07:03

Oh wow, just found these guys the other day on accident. I was clicking on related videos for Manticora and "Demon Desire" popped up. Needless to say I was sucked in, and now I cannot get their lyrics out of my head. I got The Shadow Cabinet and was wondering what other albums I should purchase.

Far From The Maddening Crowd is probably their most famous and most successful album. If you already like Shadow Cabinet then this would be a great follow-up. Salt is their 2010 release and it's pretty awesome as well. Whichever you come across first, buy.

Within and To Travel For Evermore are their earlier albums with a different vocalist. They're not bad... just not nearly as powerful or special as Far From The Maddening Crowd onwards.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
27.12.2010 - 06:17
snipo101
Heck, I'll get them both. They deserve nothing less after blowing my mind into another universe.

Thanks for the suggestions.
03.01.2011 - 19:19
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Glad you decided to buy both...I would have suggested that very thing
----

12.01.2011 - 08:58
Kevorkian
Personally, I find the vocalist from their first two albums to be downright unlistenable. He just sounds weak, and not just in compariaon to Nils. I do think that recruiting Nils was the best move they've made, though. His vocals combined with Erik's lyrics are just fantastic.
16.01.2011 - 00:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I have to agree on the last part about recruiting Nils...he is indeed fantastic combined with Erik, and not too bad on his own either. I don't agree on the first part though as I don't find him unlistenable, but he does indeed sound very weak, especially compared to Nils. It could be awesome if the re-recorded the two first albums with the current lineup
----

20.01.2011 - 16:51
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Finally I found something about the Mike Oldfield cover:
Quote:
Hi all,

someone asked about what happened to the song "Discovery" that we recorded during the "Salt" sessions.

Here´s the deal:
This time we hadn´t signed any record deals before we started recording. So besides having to finance it all ourselves, it also meant that we didn´t know the amount of bonus material that would eventually be required.

In the past we´ve usually had to come up with two bonus tracks per album, and so we recorded two this time as well. In the end, when the deals were signed, we had one track too many, namely "Discovery".

So, the track is finished of course - and it´s great - so we´re basically just saving it until we have a use for it.

So time will tell what will happen to the song, but I hope it won´t be too long before you get a chance to hear it.

Cheers,
ERIK

Hope it'll be featured on something in the near future
----

09.02.2013 - 00:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This great band is pretty much underrated...just listened to "The Bollard" song after a while - its so awesome
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.03.2013 - 19:20
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 09.02.2013 at 00:22

This great band is pretty much underrated...just listened to "The Bollard" song after a while - its so awesome

I agree fully, this band is amazing... They deserve more recognition. That album with 'The Bollard', 'Far From The Madding Crowd', is a power metal classic, one of my favourites ever. I just love every song on that album.
Although their last release (Salt) was quite disappointing for me... Anyone knows if they are planning a new album?