04. Fire Flies And Empty Skies
05. A Deafening Distance
06. Infinite Horizons
07. Suicide By Star
08. Remembrance Day
09. Dust And Echoes
10. When Everything Dies

Now I do really love God

As a musical journalist I always try to be open minded, always exploring on the look for something fresh and innovative, even if that means straying from the confines of Metal.
But what's most exciting is not to find original music away from Metal, is to find non-Metal music that you know will appeal to Metalheads.

The average Metalhead don't usually explores music outside Metal, and I know this for a fact, because I've been like that in my early years. But now is different. I'm Marco Polo, always exploring, I'm Christopher Columbus sailing to uncharted lands, seeking little hidden jewels for you, so I can be the culprit for expanding your mind and musical tastes, because we aren't here because we love Heavy Metal, we're here because we love music.

And music we shall worship. It would be a crime not to tell you about this record, because I know that you were expecting this, I know I was. Basically, God Is An Astronaut plays Post-rock, a genre that dwells mostly in the indie section of your local Cd store.

The music of God Is An Astronaut could be described as a gentle flow of melancholic yet uplifting tunes. Only tunes are involved, because the band don't uses a vocalist, all you got here is instrumental bliss, and don't think for a second that this is one of those albums that showcases the abilities of each band member, no show-offs here, the music from this Irish combo takes its time to develop, to get to the listener ears, but once it gets there, believe me, you won't be able to get it out.

What I like most about this band is that the sound has so many layers, you got guitar accords and keyboards in the front, in the back you got distorted guitars, keyboards setting the atmosphere, the occasional voices (without lyrics, they use it as another instrument), and the tempo and mood changes. Songs are varied.

I could say each and every song has its own inspiration, like the short yet sorrowful "Infinite Horizons", the hypnotic "Fragile", the upbeat and right down eighties-tribute "Fire Flies And Empty Skies" or the poignant melodies in "Remembrance Day", each song has its own mood. If you like sad, distant music, you should try this.

Maybe you'll end telling me that this review is crap and this doesn't belong here, but let me tell you one thing, shut up and listen. You know you need this. So sit back, and enjoy life because now you know that God, is an astronaut.

Written by Undercraft | 03.05.2006

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 236 users
13.02.2008 - 06:27
Rating: 10
DreamWeaver

Good review. Indeed a great album, recommended to every metalhead.
----
16.04.2009 - 21:14
Rating: 9
Elio
Red Nightmare
Ah, Metalstorm always manages to surprise me featuring bands and reviews I would never expect

This is probably my favourite post-rock album, after GY!BE's EP Slow Riot blabla. So catchy, yet at the same time never boring or generic as many bands in the genre. Masterpiece.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
11.09.2009 - 23:56
Rating: 8
pdepmcp

I liked it too. I think many post-rock bands could be appealing to metalheads with a progressive twist.
22.05.2010 - 03:49
Rating: 9
marzepka87

The double bass at the end of Suicide by Star was a perfect touch, just a great album overall

Hits total: 8405 | This month: 11