Metal Storm logo
Metal discrimination

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 04:44
Okay, I'm pretty sure we've all gotten dissed some time or another by other people because we listen to metal. Talk about your experiences and reactions here. (I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'd like to restart the conversation if that's okay.)

I've gotten it from different kinds of people. With old people I think its a generational thing, that and a lot of them feel like they know everything (they're too shut off in their own world to at least give it a chance; no I'm not suggesting they jam to Deicide or something but we all know there are bands that make great soft ballads for example that can be enjoyed by almost anyone) and think we're dumb because we don't listen to big band music or whatever. I remember one time when I was in high school and I had to volunteer a certain amount hours for class fund raisers and we were working a vending booth while the old people listened to the Glen Miller orchestra in the gym, and when it was over they all came to us and sarcasticly asked "did YOU young kids enjoy it?!" Then walked off and muttered "gee they sure don't make good music like that nowadays" and "young people have no taste" etc. :

I've also heard the "metal music inspires people to violence" excuse. Oh please. Yeah, a lot of the bands we like may be fast and harsh sounding and the lyrics might be about war and whatnot but that doesn't cause you to have anger problems, a sudden desire for a school shooting, misanthropic feelings, a fascination with cutting yourself, or whatever sick and twisted stuff people accuse metal of causing people to experience. I remember a television media station (forgot which one, I think it was ABC or something) doing a special on how Marilyn Manson's music supposedly transformed a young bright kid into a goth freak who committed suicide. Pffft; I think this is just more evidence that nobody wants to take responsiblity for themselves when its so much easier to blame others for your own actions and faults.

Then there's people who think metal music has no artistic value. What's up with that? Go have a talk with a prog head sometime; they'll be sure to remind you of talented bands like Dream Theater, whose keyboardist got lessons at Juliard School when he was NINE YEARS OLD!!! And besides, all of us can probably name at least ten good guitarists who are in the metal scene off the top of our heads, and not just for the technique.

Finally, there's the people who are turned off by it simply because when they think "metal" there's attatched social vices of wild partying, guys with long hair (some people think it looks uncouth or whatever), degenerative and juvenile behavior, smoking and doing drugs, groupies and crazy sex, loud incoherent noise mistaken as "music", profanity, depression and suicide, rebellious young kids who just want to annoy their parents and dress in black, devil worship, etc. God, I wish people would learn to get passed all the imagery that's used mainly for attention, shock value, and selling more records and concert tickets and realize that there's more to it than that (and that not ALL bands partake in the stereotype).

Heh, sorry for the ranting topic, but lately I've had a lot of people I know tell me I have "poor taste" in music and they act all shocked and confused after they ask me what kinds of music I listen to. Yes, I try to tell them I enjoy other forms of music also even though metal is my main genre, but they can't seem to get passed that. What, just because I'm not loud and I don't act like Beavis and Butthead that means I can't be a metalhead? Psh.

Most of us probably don't care what others say though, and it probably varies depending on where you live in the world to some degree. I'm interested in hearing what you all think and your responses.
05.05.2011 - 07:29
Void_Eater
Account deleted
The only time people give a damn about me being into metal is when I wear my Bonded by Blood shirt, and thye ask why the hell my shirt has naked babies on it. Other than that, nobody 'discriminates' me about being a metalhead. If somebody hates me, it's because I'm a douche.
18.11.2014 - 02:00
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I was walking my way to the University wearing a band t-shirt when this chick came walking opposite me with her baby on a stroller. Right when I was walking passed her she abruptly put her arm over the baby as if she was trying to keep me from kidnapping her baby.

No woman, just because I have a Metal band shirt that doesn't mean I am gonna steal your baby and eat it or sacrifice it to the devil.
----
Christless
18.11.2014 - 09:39
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Darth Satanious on 18.11.2014 at 02:00

I was walking my way to the University wearing a band t-shirt when this chick came walking opposite me with her baby on a stroller. Right when I was walking passed her she abruptly put her arm over the baby as if she was trying to keep me from kidnapping her baby.

No woman, just because I have a Metal band shirt that doesn't mean I am gonna steal your baby and eat it or sacrifice it to the devil.

What band was it? If it was Stolen babies, I don't blame her.
Who says it was the shirt anyway. You don't look like a 60s English pop musician, do you?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
18.11.2014 - 09:50
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 18.11.2014 at 09:39
You don't look like a 60s English pop musician, do you?

How come you ask that? Are you referring to AC/DC?
----
The Fangirl.
18.11.2014 - 09:56
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer

Written by Darth Satanious on 18.11.2014 at 02:00

What band was it? If it was Stolen babies, I don't blame her.
Who says it was the shirt anyway. You don't look like a 60s English pop musician, do you?

I was clean shaved with military hair cut, carrying an mp3 player. I can't remember the t-shirt but it must have been some Black Metal stuff, it was years ago. The only other explanation I can think of is she having a general paranoia for random dudes on the street taking away her baby.
----
Christless
18.11.2014 - 11:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 18.11.2014 at 09:50

More the Gary Glitter/Rolf Harris/Jimmy Saville types.
----
18.11.2014 - 13:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Since when are the AC/DC band members English, apart from Brian Johnson?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2014 - 13:46
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2014 at 13:23

Well I just assumed wrong it seems.
----
The Fangirl.
18.11.2014 - 16:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 18.11.2014 at 13:46

Well I just assumed wrong it seems.

I think you meant British , but in some way we can say Ausie is Britain, since ex colony and under union jack we stand, strong .... young brother parents moved from gloomy shithole 60's Glasgow to Ausie to search better life

BTW Fill Rude has Lithuanian origins , well his parents has , if we trust wiki
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.11.2014 - 01:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by deadone on 19.11.2014 at 00:49

And only Malcolm and Angus live in Australia

Actually, Angus lives in Aalten, The Netherlands, with his Dutch wife.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2014 - 09:13
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by deadone on 19.11.2014 at 00:49

Bass player, Cliff Williams is English too. He only moved to Australia to join AC/DC in 1977 and has lived in US since 1980! He was in a number of English rock bands prior to joing AC/DC.

As it stands, only Rudd is a true blue Aussie. And only Malcolm and Angus live in Australia - Rudd lives in New Zealand, Williams and Johnson in USA and Stevie Young lives in Scotland.

Yeah, a lot of Aussie rockers from the 60s/70s were British-born. Even Jimmy Barnes and Bon Scott are/were Scotts.
----
20.11.2014 - 11:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 19.11.2014 at 09:13

Yeah, a lot of Aussie rockers from the 60s/70s were British-born. Even Jimmy Barnes and Bon Scott are/were Scotts.

and probably your ancestors also came there from England

Brian Johnson lives in the Florida IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
20.11.2014 - 13:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 20.11.2014 at 11:59

And Germany and Scotland and Denmark. And Prussia if you count countries that don't exist anymore.
----
20.11.2014 - 13:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 20.11.2014 at 13:02

Written by Bad English on 20.11.2014 at 11:59

And Germany and Scotland and Denmark. And Prussia if you count countries that don't exist anymore.

Prussia it does exist in to me, BTW was they germans or speaking in prusian whitch was Baltic language what is dead now
----

apos;'
[image]
22.11.2014 - 02:54
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 19.11.2014 at 01:30

Well there you go. So Australia is left with poor demented Malcolm. That actually describes the state of hard rock and heavy metal in Australia quite aptly.

so what does that say about rudd and nz?
Na apparently he is a super nice guy, i know some guys who painted his studio and some others who use to go fishing with him..........i'm famous
22.11.2014 - 06:16
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 22.11.2014 at 02:54

Written by deadone on 19.11.2014 at 01:30

Well there you go. So Australia is left with poor demented Malcolm. That actually describes the state of hard rock and heavy metal in Australia quite aptly.

so what does that say about rudd and nz?
Na apparently he is a super nice guy, i know some guys who painted his studio and some others who use to go fishing with him..........i'm famous

Better be careful, then. You might be one of the people he wanted to have killed.
----
25.11.2014 - 08:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Doc G. on 15.01.2007 at 08:42

I gotta be honest and say, up until a few days ago i thought this thread was stupid and that some people were just whining, but something happened to me a few days ago that makes me understand how fucking terrible people can be.

Here goes...

I was at this party, needless to say the crowd consisted of entirely preppy/jock types (besides me and my friend, both long haired guys in tattered denim & camos with metal shirts on), there was around 150 people inside this very big house with alot of expensive stuff, by the end of the night there was several thousand dollars worth of stuff damaged and alot of money stolen out of dressers etc., and a fire extinguisher cracked open and sprayed all over the garage. The next day the girl whose house it was called the police, after calling in as many people from the party for witnesses, me and my friend got pinned with all the charges, because as the world knows "metalheads are naturally destructive" we got type-casted by every witness saying they saw us do this damage even though we were unaware of it until we were called in a few days ago, and as it stands now me and my friend are facing around $10 000 worth of reperations because the unbelievable amount of witnesses reporting it was us, and we have absolutely no evidence proving our innocence.

So what happen with this? I've been reading through the thread, curious to know what happened in the end. Did you get off or not?
----
25.11.2014 - 17:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by M C Vice on 25.11.2014 at 08:11

So what happen with this? I've been reading through the thread, curious to know what happened in the end. Did you get off or not?

Jesus, I completely forgot about this! What happened is everything fizzled out. Either A) they realized there wasn't much of a case, or B) it was a massive house party where things tend to get broken. Personally, I think they were just talking out of their asses about the charges, and just needed someone to pin it on. So nothing really came of it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.11.2014 - 18:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Doc G. on 25.11.2014 at 17:41

Jesus, I completely forgot about this! What happened is everything fizzled out. Either A) they realized there wasn't much of a case, or B) it was a massive house party where things tend to get broken. Personally, I think they were just talking out of their asses about the charges, and just needed someone to pin it on. So nothing really came of it.

Damn. You killed the fun.

I thought it must have gone onto something interesting and there you go, you just ended it badly. It should have gone like you go to jail, spend some sleepless time, sweating, anxious and cam.......well just like any episode of Banged Up Abroad.
25.11.2014 - 18:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 25.11.2014 at 18:01

I thought it must have gone onto something interesting and there you go, you just ended it badly. It should have gone like you go to jail, spend some sleepless time, sweating, anxious and cam.......well just like any episode of Banged Up Abroad.

No, nothing so serious. In fact, looking back, I think that was my teenage brain blowing things out of proportion (I was 17 when I made that post). I think they just asked questions of everyone present, and tossed around the idea of pressing charges to spook people into pointing fingers. It wasnt us being singled out as i initially thought. Hell, i think the damage estimations were largely exxagerated if i recall correctly. In the end I think all parties involved just realized bad things happen when a shit ton of drunk teenagers are left unsupervised.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.11.2014 - 02:21
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

I thought it must have gone onto something interesting and there you go, you just ended it badly. It should have gone like you go to jail ...

And release a couple of ambient albums recorded on an old Casio.
----
26.11.2014 - 04:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by M C Vice on 26.11.2014 at 02:21

I thought it must have gone onto something interesting and there you go, you just ended it badly. It should have gone like you go to jail ...

And release a couple of ambient albums recorded on an old Casio.

Btw Tim Lambesis haven't released his' yet. I'm still waiting for ambient metalcore
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.11.2014 - 08:45
Jtbmetal123

Ive been frowned upon so many times for being a metalhead. Growing up in a christian household it was hard to wear a metal tee around and growing up in middle and high school liking metal. The area I live in is surrounded by meathead want to be rappers that suck. metal isnt welcome no matter where I go.
05.12.2014 - 01:08
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
When I was first getting into metal music, my parents used to criticize me for listening to music about "death" and assuming I listen to lyrics like "I'm gonna throw the cat off the roof" or some shit like that (my dad brought that example up lol). Over the years, they pretty much got used to it, and now no questions are really asked when they see me with a metal shirt on these days. I've basically been a bit more open and comfortable about my tastes after some time.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.01.2015 - 01:45
KRS Porlaneff

In 2009, I were moved from the section I worked since my beginning in the job. All of it because my boss is a kind of born-again Christian woman that thinks every pepople need salvation. I always have as personal policy that never talk about politics, religion and soccer at work (I don't like to discuss about nome of three in any moment) and she probably looks at me, in 2009 a 23 years old bald and fat guy always wearing black t-shirts or black pants and cothurnus boots, and see a satanist with a goat head in a pentagram tattooed in chest (I don't even had tattoos) and a potential "man that have a soul without salvation".
As she can't convert me for her Christian (in Brazil we have two types of catholic religion, "católicos" and "evangélicos" and one don't like the other; I'm agnostic but created as "católico" and she is "evangélica"), she recommended for I work at another section. And I were tranfered for a section that soccer is the main theme in every talks, but it's another history and don't have any metal discrimination.
----
Metal Is The Law
The Law Is The Metal
Metal The Law Is
Metal

(Massacration - Metal is the Law)
14.01.2015 - 03:15
Totenlieder

People usually give my strange looks when I go places and avoid me.
That's if I wear my vest and bullet belt, which I probably shouldn't wear, the bullets anyways.
But other than that nobody really does anything else.
----
Blut & Krieg
14.01.2015 - 15:17
toxx
Supreme being
I rarely get any reactions on wearing boots and band t-shirts. I'm guessing that people here are used to metalheads by now If anyone does react in any way, it's older folks. They usually just stare at you, like they're mad at you or something.

The ones that's the most annoying are actually people I know. Like "friends" or people at work. They just have to bring up the fact that I (according to them) listen to "satan rock" and that it sounds like they're playing on barbed wire. Just the fact that they are calling it "satan-rock" proves their ignorance. I usually don't answer. I know what they listen to, but I don't give 'em shit about it.
15.01.2015 - 03:59
Amy

Well to the old people... I just tell them that their grandparents probably did not like their music either when they were young... nothing new there.

The violence excuse was used in the 90s to try to blame someone out there for Columbine. I haven't heard the argument used recently and if someone was going to blame something for violence in America at least they'd blame movies today because the ratings for violent movies are not as strict as, say, nudity. I see most people blame the weapons rather than mental health or other external factors. Social vices should not even be an argument because pop artists are worse in that category. Besides many people are just useful idiots that believe anything the media says.

The people who claim there is no artistic value don't even listen to music that have artistic value anyways (Iggy Azalea, anyone?) so that's just ignorance from someone that doesn't know what they're talking about. There are people who will never understand metal and that's their choice. I just don't understand how they can say metal is just noise and then go listen to dub step.

On the whole looking and acting area, most metalheads understand they don't have to look "metal" to be "metal". For example, I dress like any other preppy girl at my school and I'm a pretty happy person so it usually comes as a shock when mention I like metal (I save my concert tees for concerts ). This just hopefully makes them realize metalheads don't always look like Beavus and Butthead or a Deathklok member. I'm not offended by this and even other metalheads I have met are surprised I listen to metal and can have an intelligent conversation about the bands I like. In fact, when I went to my first concert I just went in my usual clothes I go to school in and people were surprised to see someone like me at a concert and I actually knew more than some of them about the band but it was more of a fascination for them rather than trying to exclude me of course.
----
\m/