Metal Storm logo
Pain of Salvation

Original post

Posted by meTalcoholic, 17.05.2006 - 04:44
I have heard so many people claiming that it is so hard to "get into" Pain of Salvation's concept albums because of the depth and complexity of the music and the concept/storyline. I personally have always been able to dive right in with every album of theirs, but from what I have observed, I am a minority. So I'm wondering what you guys think about this amazing Swedish prog band overall, and especially when it comes to the complexity of the topics they address.
05.07.2006 - 17:01
rebelos
Account deleted
does anyone knows what is the language spoken after the Japanese guy on Vocari Dei song?
21.07.2006 - 13:37
rebelos
Account deleted
it's Greek dudes...
GREEK!!
22.07.2006 - 04:20
Bitch Boy
I think it isn't that hard to get into their stuff. The very first time I listened to them I found their sound pretty strange, but not awful. I'm not sure if they're progressive metal, but I don't care. What I like the most about this amazing band is the lyrics.
25.07.2006 - 03:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Their BE album is very all over the place...I keep listening to it and trying to get into it but I just can't...now I won't be arguing the fact that it's an amazing piece of work and it's a real piece of art and nothing short of fabolous....it just lasts consistancy...I think the spoken dialogue in the beginning would turn some off while really profounding others (especially if they're stoned...) something like that also freaks people out...it also comes across as very pretensious...there is a real grandiouse, larger-then-life feel on the album...the release is well timed though...progressive metal to a lot of people was on the verge of stagnation...a band like Pain of Salvation I guess keeps pushing the arty, creative, ever changing form of progressive metal and hardly keeps real the tried and true...
25.07.2006 - 04:06
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I dont care how many DT and Symphony X fans are here, but PoS is the best prog band ever! their complexity, and originalit is just amazing, each album is a surprise
----
29.07.2006 - 21:03
rebelos
Account deleted
^
true!
07.08.2006 - 16:21
pajo
Account deleted
Hi guys!!!
Yes I agree that its little bit hard to get in the PoS, but its worth it
Now PoS is one of my favourite bands. Its amazing music with great atmosphere.
Daniel is excellent singer who really knows how to use his voice. Amazing band in every point of view
Which album is your favourite?
For me, the best is The Perfect Element pt. 1 - btw. do you have idea, why it is called "pt. 1"? Is there any possibility that there will be also pt. II.??? O:-)
07.08.2006 - 19:10
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.08.2006 at 16:21

btw. do you have idea, why it is called "pt. 1"? Is there any possibility that there will be also pt. II.??? O:-)

yeah, there is going to be a part II but they haven't desided when they are going to release it
at the moment we are waiting for their new masterpiece, Scarsick! \m/\m/

i can never get enough of these dudes
09.08.2006 - 12:23
Valar
IndianSteel
Yeah certainly....."Scarsick"
This is one of the two albums i am waitin for desperately along with Maiden's new album.
But I have no doubts that this album will be another insight into the Kingdom Of Loss!!
Dont POS album concepts leave us shell shocked ?
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
10.08.2006 - 04:21
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Nathan Lurker on 29.05.2006 at 03:38

IT IS their best work in my opinion. I heard the other albums. None of them I could take as a whole as much as BE. I listen to Be from the beginning to the last. When I listen to another album, I usually browse through the album songs. I don't mean to say the others album are weaker and don't stand as a whole. But be is in a whole new level, and I relate to the stuff in there much more than on other albums from them. The Perfect Element would be my second favourite, Remedy lane would be third position. That's just an appreciation level. All their albums have a slight difference in their sounds. Now, saying wich album is the best depends on what you relate to in the songwriting.

The melodies of Be, are imo the strongest so far.

Yeah BE is really good,the story is amazing but I will never be convinced its better than Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element,but cant wait to hear Scarsick have a feeling it will be better than all of their albums!
11.08.2006 - 01:24
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
My problem with Be is that there is too much in it. While it was a great concept, Daniel just tried to put too much into it. If he had just done the Mr. Money character as a metaphor for the human race and our connection to God, it would have been great. But I just feel over loaded, and not in a good way, when I try and take on the whole album. The music is some of the best they have ever written. Don't get me wrong, I think it is brilliant, but it was just a surplus for me.
----
(space for rent)
11.08.2006 - 03:51
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 11.08.2006 at 01:24

My problem with Be is that there is too much in it. While it was a great concept, Daniel just tried to put too much into it. If he had just done the Mr. Money character as a metaphor for the human race and our connection to God, it would have been great. But I just feel over loaded, and not in a good way, when I try and take on the whole album. The music is some of the best they have ever written. Don't get me wrong, I think it is brilliant, but it was just a surplus for me.

couldn't agree with you more
20.08.2006 - 02:43
Anathemani@c
One of my favourite and also my "worst" bands. I love and also I "hate" them. I like their melancholic songs like Oblivion Ocean, Inside Out and The big Machine, but I cannot understand exactly their complexity.. Favourite alboum : One Hour By The Concrete Lake
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
31.08.2006 - 11:59
pajo
Account deleted
I am getting into 12:5 this time... Amazing!
I cant belive it is live album! :-O
11.09.2006 - 18:56
HelplessHysteria
Account deleted
I think the Be album is perfect, but it's not the music. It's the way the music is blended togethor with the concept. Be is actually a little better as a DVD because it's more of a stage show/musical than an album. It's an amazing effort. Concept is somewhat trite, but it's expressed in a very original way.

I think the music on Be is perfect to express the atmosphere of the concept. It's more of one long epic than an album.
16.09.2006 - 17:39
#~|CoP|~#
Account deleted
I used to think that Russell Alen (Symphony X) was the best singer of the motal scene even in live but now i'm not so sure...

After listening to 'Be' in live i was just blown away by Daniel Gildenlow's performance... he's got the voice of an angel. I especially love the song called'Iter Impius' on this one he is THY GOD. And i believe that the song is even better live than on the album itself. And in an other subject concerning that song I find the guitar solo better in the live performance than with all the mixes they've made in he period between this gigand the release of the album...

And about changing stuffs... on the contrary the song 'Lilium Cruentus' is better on the album. I found the performance live a bit repetitive you know with all the 'I don't know' and all, the song in the album contains more variations which makes it better IMO.

I can't wait for Scarsisk to be released, in my eyes Pain Of Salvation I've become more significant than Dream Theater in the Prog Metal scene today, they're the band to wait for now!
16.09.2006 - 22:15
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 16.09.2006 at 17:39

n my eyes Pain Of Salvation I've become more significant than Dream Theater in the Prog Metal scene today, they're the band to wait for now!

What people need to remember is that Pain of Salvation is part of the Second Wave of Progressive Metal.

The Second Wave bands are the ones who came after 1994, and all credit Dream Theater with being a major influence, among other bands.

The first wave started with Rush, and included Uriah Heep, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Watchtower, Psycotic Waltz and ended with Dream Theater. The Second wave starts when Dream Theater releases Awake and blows the walls away. Groups such as Opeth, Pain Of Salvation, Evergrey, Ayreon, Spock's Beard, Green Carnation, Symphony X, Nevermore, etc are all part of the Second wave. We are currently entering a Third age of Prog metal in the next few years. These new bands will be building off of what Gildenlow Portnoy, Åkerfeldt, Wilson, Luccensen, etc are doing now.

So, to say Pain of Salvation is the most significant prog band today would not be correct. One of the most important out there, and maybe the key of the Second wave, but there are both First and Second wave bands around.
----
(space for rent)
20.09.2006 - 23:18
rebelos
Account deleted
^
i believe that PoS are way better than Dream Theater...
they have feelings and everything is great, but DT are more technicall.... i don't like that much...
22.09.2006 - 18:14
HelplessHysteria
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 16.09.2006 at 22:15

Written by Guest on 16.09.2006 at 17:39

n my eyes Pain Of Salvation I've become more significant than Dream Theater in the Prog Metal scene today, they're the band to wait for now!

What people need to remember is that Pain of Salvation is part of the Second Wave of Progressive Metal.

The Second Wave bands are the ones who came after 1994, and all credit Dream Theater with being a major influence, among other bands.

The first wave started with Rush, and included Uriah Heep, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Watchtower, Psycotic Waltz and ended with Dream Theater. The Second wave starts when Dream Theater releases Awake and blows the walls away. Groups such as Opeth, Pain Of Salvation, Evergrey, Ayreon, Spock's Beard, Green Carnation, Symphony X, Nevermore, etc are all part of the Second wave. We are currently entering a Third age of Prog metal in the next few years. These new bands will be building off of what Gildenlow Portnoy, Åkerfeldt, Wilson, Luccensen, etc are doing now.

So, to say Pain of Salvation is the most significant prog band today would not be correct. One of the most important out there, and maybe the key of the Second wave, but there are both First and Second wave bands around.

I think Dream Theater is the most important band in Progressive Metal, because they've made nothing but music that can be considered Progressive Metal for the past twenty years.

Bands like Queensryche and Uriah Heep definately had Progressive tendencies, but many experts wouldn't consider them to be making "Progressive Metal". Both bands like Queensryche and Uriah could be considered just plain heavy metal bands, but they were certainly more than that. I don't think much of what they did was quite interesting enough to be what we know today as Progressive Metal.

Progressive Metal is more than Heavy Metal with clean guitars.
18.10.2006 - 11:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 20.09.2006 at 23:18

^
i believe that PoS are way better than Dream Theater...
they have feelings and everything is great, but DT are more technicall.... i don't like that much...

Dont agree I like DT better, and in Europe are more better band show thay try Italian scene, but I dont deny that thay rae great band too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.12.2006 - 17:20
Valar
IndianSteel
Am listening to America, POS's track from the new album Scarsick....and i hate to admit but i didnt like it that much....Hopefully the album will be a lot better....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
06.12.2006 - 00:23
DreamWeaver
elite
@ Indian Steel: Where did you get that track? I've been looking everywhere for a Scarsick's track and haven't found any.

Edit: Nevermind, just found it. And dear God!! It's sounds so Emo
----
07.12.2006 - 22:43
rebelos
Account deleted
i am listening to the whole new album and it's AMAZING!!! (once more )
08.12.2006 - 09:27
helofloki
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.12.2006 at 22:43

Some people are gonna hate it. but I totally agree with you, I think it's amazing. they've completely re-invented their sound again. And that is one of the reasons they are so good, they can tread such completely new territory and still be them. This album manages to be dark and brooding without sounding like TPE or Remedy Lane. Probably more reminiscent of Faith No More's Angeldust, at least that's what I hear. I just love how they can take such a variety of sounds and not only make them work but just transform them and mix them, the songwriting has been mindblowing on everything they've ever done.

I get what is being said about first and second wave progmetal. And DT is by far the biggest influence on progressive metal out of any band. However, who is the most significant progressive metal band out right now, that's not talking about history or influence, that's talking about who's doing the spearheading right now. Not necessarily saying POS is the most significant right now, but as long as I've known them, I've always thought they were the best.
08.12.2006 - 17:01
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.12.2006 at 09:27

Written by Guest on 07.12.2006 at 22:43

Some people are gonna hate it. but I totally agree with you, I think it's amazing. they've completely re-invented their sound again. And that is one of the reasons they are so good, they can tread such completely new territory and still be them. This album manages to be dark and brooding without sounding like TPE or Remedy Lane. Probably more reminiscent of Faith No More's Angeldust, at least that's what I hear. I just love how they can take such a variety of sounds and not only make them work but just transform them and mix them, the songwriting has been mindblowing on everything they've ever done.

I get what is being said about first and second wave progmetal. And DT is by far the biggest influence on progressive metal out of any band. However, who is the most significant progressive metal band out right now, that's not talking about history or influence, that's talking about who's doing the spearheading right now. Not necessarily saying POS is the most significant right now, but as long as I've known them, I've always thought they were the best.

i couldn't agree more!
every single PoS release is different!
and i can hear some sounds from TPE...
probably cause it is the second part NOT THE SAME but some riffs so it could fit in...
08.12.2006 - 20:07
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Oh, man! The new album is tight. Once again, Pain of Salvation has made a solid album. I want to listen to it several times before I give it a full review.
----
(space for rent)
08.12.2006 - 20:14
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Dane Train on 08.12.2006 at 20:07

Oh, man! The new album is tight. Once again, Pain of Salvation has made a solid album. I want to listen to it several times before I give it a full review.

has it leaked?? Oh now i wanna listen to it real soon....!!
----
08.12.2006 - 20:22
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Yeah, it was leaked, aI got it last night. I'll still buy the album, cause compressed MP3 files are just sad to have in my possession. Plus I want the art work and support Pain Of Salvation and Inside Out Music.
----
(space for rent)
13.12.2006 - 12:43
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Hmm. Up until now I'm not really happy with the new album.
It's far from the level of The Perfect Element and BE as well. Maybe it's just that I need to get used to it, but my first impression isn't a very positive one.
15.12.2006 - 02:35
DreamWeaver
elite
Well, I think the album is good, not great. Cannot be compared with any of the previous albums of PoS. Also, America in not a good track, actually, IMHO it's scarsick's weakest track, I don't understand why they chose it to be the first track peolpe would listen in this album.

Anyway, does anyone know what the concept of "Scarsick" is?
----