Metal Storm logo
Pain of Salvation

Original post

Posted by meTalcoholic, 17.05.2006 - 04:44
I have heard so many people claiming that it is so hard to "get into" Pain of Salvation's concept albums because of the depth and complexity of the music and the concept/storyline. I personally have always been able to dive right in with every album of theirs, but from what I have observed, I am a minority. So I'm wondering what you guys think about this amazing Swedish prog band overall, and especially when it comes to the complexity of the topics they address.
27.08.2007 - 19:33
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Vocalist Daniel Gildenlöw has issued the following update on the band's official website:

"Yes, the rumors are correct. We filmed one of the shows on our latest tour and we plan to release a DVD from that show. I have been on paternity leave for a few months now, an experience I encourage every dad to try, but come September we are starting to work on bonus material, mixing etc. No release date has been set yet, as we are also in the middle of replacing band members and working on new material, but now you at least you can start waiting for real."
29.08.2007 - 16:13
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Thats great, Pain of Salvation is one of the few bands that I truely wish them to release one DVD for every album, because its just amazing how Daniel interpretes the music, also I've never had the opportunity to attend a PoS concert (saddly.)

Just hope that this DVD comes out something perfect as the BE DVD
----
04.03.2008 - 22:50
GT
Coffee!!
Since PoS has been confirmed for ProgPower Scandinavia which I'm definitely attending I thought I would listen to some of their music so I listened to their first album Entropia and Scarsick. Unfortunately I didn't like it at all. Reminded me very much of Red Hot Chilli Peppers whom I despise. And that's too bad. Don't know if it was the wrong day or something because I normally enjoy progressive quite a bit.
Hope my opinion will change before October.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
28.03.2008 - 17:29
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Daniel Gildenlöw of Pain Of Salvation has issued the following updates:

"So, lots of people are asking what's happening and, to still your hunger, here is a little update on what we are up to at the moment:

DVD:
We are putting together a nice DVD for you, with some nice bonus material for those who crave it. Problem right now is we haven't decided on the title yet, but we have a bunch of good ones to choose from. "Sub Par", "Briefly Described", "Insert Random Word-Joke Containing the Word 'LIVE'", "Not a Concept" and "Want Your Name Here?" are just a few of them. We'll see what comes down when we have shaken it long enough...

Léo Margarit:
"Well, most of you know that Léo Margarit from France is the new drummer of the band. We are rehearsing new material now and learning to know each other musically as well as personally - and he is also in the process of moving to Sweden! Russia
We visited Moscow, Russia, some weeks back, and we had a great time. The crowd was great, and we had a good time with both organizers, press and fans. We hope to come back as soon as possible. We need to see the Red Square in daylight (with less Disney vibe) and personally I really want to visit the Museum of National History. For those who have not yet seen the clips on YouTube (why do we even bother to make DVDs when we can have lousy recordings released anyway and not even have to bother about getting paid for it), we did a nice rendition of Ashes together with a nice Russian singer named Kiril. We performed sitting in a ring on stage, playing on three balalaikas and spoons [Link], I might add. Now that's a scenery Symphony X will never offer you! "
30.07.2008 - 19:04
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Pain of salvation is so great i was a dumb because i just heard Scarsick now that i know all

i must say The Perfect Element 1 and Remedy lane are just out of this world yeahhh
----
Stay Metal !!!
09.08.2008 - 06:29
Metal_Militia

//Have they ever toured the united states?? Wouldnt that be awesome if Pain Of Salvation was on next years progressive nations tour with dream theater? That would be such an awesome show.

The perfect element part 1 is an excelent album. Standout tracks are Ashes, Idioglossia, Dedication, and The perfect Element. Does anyone know where there might be a song by song description that explains that certain song to the concept. I know what the overall concept is but i cant figure out every song and its actual meaning//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

11.08.2008 - 15:23
Hamird
Lieutenant
BE DVD was very nice.. A fantastic live performance with nice decoration and Gildenlow acted well in that show.. I like this DVD.
13.08.2008 - 05:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I don't think they ever toured in the USA...they sure as hell never toured in Canada for all I know...I'd really love to see them in my own country...
09.11.2008 - 20:00
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Hello POS mates!

I have some news from you! I was at ProgPower Scandinavia last week end and POS was one of the healiners! (pics and a report will follow of course).

First, Simon was not there and was replaced by Per Schelander of Royal Hunt...

The new DVD will be out at the begining of 2009 AND a new album is also coming and should be out next year.

If you cannot wait anymore time, you can have a look at this link => http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=8d1iAFEvtwg to listen to one of the new songs "Mortar Grind". The sound is not bad at all for a live recording, I'm sure that you'll enjoy it

Edit: I've updated some informations about the DVD here => http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=25887
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
09.11.2008 - 21:04
Talvi

I'm so getting that! PoS are changing a lot since Scarsick, which actually makes it much more interesting. It will be probably one of the hits of 2009 (I hope).
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
10.11.2008 - 00:24
pleasure.seeker

Jeff, thank you for the message. I really cannot wait!
----
My last.fm
24.01.2010 - 22:00
Fat & Sassy!

Sssssooooo Pain of Salvation's new album will be out this year. Who else is excited for this? :O Based off their latest EP, I have high hopes. It seems like they've found a great bluesy sound!
22.05.2010 - 09:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Groundbreaking new album for Pain of Salvation. To me, it's brilliant.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.05.2010 - 10:21
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by BloodTears on 22.05.2010 at 09:40

Groundbreaking new album for Pain of Salvation. To me, it's brilliant.

I haven't listened to the album completely yet, but so far it sounds to me early 70's Progressive Rock albums. And yes it's a great album. Better than their previous album, Scarsick. Scarsick was also a good album actually, it's just different from the rest of Pain of Salvation discography..
22.05.2010 - 21:56
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Hamird on 22.05.2010 at 10:21

I haven't listened to the album completely yet, but so far it sounds to me early 70's Progressive Rock albums. And yes it's a great album. Better than their previous album, Scarsick. Scarsick was also a good album actually, it's just different from the rest of Pain of Salvation discography..

I kinda feel that, for the most part, all of their albums have a different sound, feel, and composure. Honestly, that's one of the big reasons why I like them. Always trying new things, which prevents their albums from getting monotonous.
22.05.2010 - 22:56
Zuzuz0r

Clearly a homage to 70's sound, though it still has the Pain Of Salvation seal, I really loved the song Sisters.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
23.05.2010 - 10:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 22.05.2010 at 21:56

Written by Hamird on 22.05.2010 at 10:21

I kinda feel that, for the most part, all of their albums have a different sound, feel, and composure. Honestly, that's one of the big reasons why I like them. Always trying new things, which prevents their albums from getting monotonous.

That's exactly how I feel about Pain of Salvation.
----

My Instagram
23.05.2010 - 18:08
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 23.05.2010 at 10:45

That's exactly how I feel about Pain of Salvation.

Yup! It's cool how they always surprise us with different (yet good) music!
23.05.2010 - 18:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
No problem with them trying new every time. Problem now is that it has turned into something boring. Not a single song is captivating, plus the production/sound is way too dry imo. Oh and Daniel should stay off the voice distorters. Damn, the use of that thing is extremely annoying here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2010 - 19:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Oh, here it comes Marcel to spoil the party, he always does that

At least he isn't afraid of giving his honest opinion. Dig that.
----

My Instagram
23.05.2010 - 19:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 23.05.2010 at 19:04

Why is that spoiling the party? Does everyone have to like the album? And be raving about it when in fact it is a very mediocre album? And has nothing to do with metal anymore? And yes that is important since we're here on a METAL site called METAL Storm

Quote:

and you can rest assured I also give bands my honest opinion when I talk to them. That always gives a funny response cause most aren't used to people/fans giving their honest opinion when talking to them face to face.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2010 - 19:41
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2010 at 19:31

Why is that spoiling the party? Does everyone have to like the album? And be raving about it when in fact it is a very mediocre album? And has nothing to do with metal anymore? And yes that is important since we're here on a METAL site called METAL Storm

I think it's just that it's kind of expected of you to have a negative opinion on most things. That's all. Not that I think that is a bad thing or am offended by it. I'm just sayin'. ;P Also, I don't really think that this album not being metal has anything to do with the quality of it... No one is judging it as a metal album. We are judging it as a PoS album.
23.05.2010 - 19:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.05.2010 at 19:41

No one is judging it as a metal album. We are judging it as a PoS album.

Newither was I. Cause as a metal album it would be crap. As a Pain Of Salavation album it is mediocre.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2010 - 21:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema

Written by BloodTears on 23.05.2010 at 19:04

Quote:

and you can rest assured I also give bands my honest opinion when I talk to them. That always gives a funny response cause most aren't used to people/fans giving their honest opinion when talking to them face to face.

I do see why how that would cause a funny response because usually people expect you to focus on the positive or say all good things you can think about.

And no, not everyone has to like it, that's why I said I liked the fact that you always gave an honest opinion. Why would you think I want people to like it by force? I don.t And I have no problem with people who have a different opinion from mine.
----

My Instagram
23.05.2010 - 22:03
Fat & Sassy!

Indeed. I actually enjoy listening to others opinions that greatly differ from mine. It's interesting to look or understand something from another perspective. It just sucks that a lot of people get "offended" or something when you don't agree with them. :l What kind of world would we live in if everyone agreed? A boring one. That's what.
24.05.2010 - 09:34
Hamird
Lieutenant

But this METAL site called METAL Storm features The Doors too, doesn't it..? Is there any problem with not being Metal and being discussed here anyway?
There's something about being boring. Yes it's a boring album, this is how I look at almost all of 60's and 70's albums specially when it's Progressive Rock.. But after all being boring doesn't mean it's not good, yes? It's just boring.. The Seventh Seal film is boring too, but it's very nice..Or, it's my misunderstanding of definition of word boring..
24.05.2010 - 16:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.05.2010 at 22:03

Indeed. I actually enjoy listening to others opinions that greatly differ from mine. It's interesting to look or understand something from another perspective. It just sucks that a lot of people get "offended" or something when you don't agree with them. :l What kind of world would we live in if everyone agreed? A boring one. That's what.

So, basically you think the world is boring? lol
----

My Instagram
24.05.2010 - 20:26
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 24.05.2010 at 16:07

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.05.2010 at 22:03

So, basically you think the world is boring? lol

Well, no. Quite the opposite. Although I do come across a lot of people who agree to avoid any sort of conflict... Like people who buy into a mainstream opinion without putting any personal thought into it. :l Anyway, we are totally off topic here...

I WISH I could see PoS live, but they have no tour dates here and haven't in forever. Makes me
24.05.2010 - 20:27
Zuzuz0r

Well, Pain of Salvation have never been a band that always tried to be the most metal as fuck band, sure, their musical base is metal, but their influences go beyond it.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
26.05.2010 - 16:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2010 at 19:50

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.05.2010 at 19:41

No one is judging it as a metal album. We are judging it as a PoS album.

Newither was I. Cause as a metal album it would be crap. As a Pain Of Salavation album it is mediocre.

Is there any particular Pain of Salvation album you like?
----

My Instagram