So?

Dissection
Watain
couch

Total votes: 118
23.02.2008 - 00:57
Damnated
Churchburner
Since everyone's saying that Watain is the new Dissection, i figured i make this thread. and i don't see that big similarity between the two btw.

I vote for Watain because they are far superior to Dissection. the overall atmosphere of the music, the catchy, hellish riffs, the raspy satanic vocals. and the fact that they have a W in the name also adds big time.

Dissection is a good band too, but their name is bigger than their actual talent, and fail to entertain in a long run.

vote for couch if you don't have any idea about what's going on here.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.02.2008 - 01:19
Stigmatized
Watain gets my vote. Dissection is really boring IMO, I've never understood the big hype about them. Watain, on the other hand, is actually able to hold my attention for a full album.
23.02.2008 - 05:51
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had never heard Watain called as the new Dissection, but I would obviously chose Dissection anyway... It had been also surprising for me the reason for which Watain are considered so great among black metal elitists. They're pretty good, but I don't see what they add to the genre, while Dissection were totally grounbreaking.
23.02.2008 - 11:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Even though I like both bands, I still find them to be overrated. I voted for Watain because I get a darker vibe from their music. They could be faster, but overall they are just more interesting for me. Plus, their booklets are prettier. xD
23.02.2008 - 12:27
Sunioj

I chose Watain simply because they are more relevant to Black Metal then Dissection who put out a melodeath album and dissolved due to Jon. But Dissection is still classic though ( though Casus Luciferi is also imo )

"....and the fact that they have a W in the name also adds big time."

haha, classic.
23.02.2008 - 12:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Both are some of my favourite bands. Dissection had their two first amazing albums but they also did the very average Reinkaos. Watain on the other hand have only amazing albums and one of them is the best of Black Metal IMO: Sworn to the Dark! The choice wasn't easy but the new blood got my vote!
----
23.02.2008 - 15:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hard choose I like boath bands but I know lil more Dissection
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2008 - 15:51
Judas
The Amputator
Dissection, definitely. I like Watain, but 'The Somberlain' and 'Storm of the Light's Bane' were groundbreaking albums when released, and everyone else is still playing catch-up. Also, while 'Reinkaos' sucked, there won't be any more albums from the band so they can't go downhill, whereas Watain still have scope for shittiness.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
23.02.2008 - 20:30
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 23.02.2008 at 05:51

It had been also surprising for me the reason for which Watain are considered so great among black metal elitists.

they are one of the pioneers of orthodox black metal.

lmao, someone voted for couch.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.02.2008 - 22:51
selken
Irreligious
Dissection. It's my favorite band of all, I like watain but they are even close, they don't have that atmospheric and haunting sound that few bands like dissection have, I percieve them as "brutal black metal" instead of the "epic melodic black metal" that Dissection was. And also I would pick Dissection over ANY band!!! I even think Naglfar are better than Watain.

Written by Stigmatized on 23.02.2008 at 01:19

I've never understood the big hype about them.

It was the time they came out, when Black and Death metal where in an ardent hate and mutual despising. They managed to become good for both audiencies by merging elements of both genres. Reinkaos in the other hand was a huge dissapointment for the long awaiting fans of black and "just another generic melodic death metal album" for the new people, and maybe this decreases their prestige.
----
25.02.2008 - 17:50
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 23.02.2008 at 20:30

It had been also surprising for me the reason for which Watain are considered so great among black metal elitists.

I don't really what do you mean with Watain being pioneers of orthodox black metal. Musically they're nothing of groundbreaking and lyrically they have the typical satanic lyrics like
"Bonecrush, bloodlust
Behold the remains of jehova in the dust
Suffocate, Desecrate
For Satan's return - Angelrape"

Once again, a good black metal band, one of the best nowadays, but they follow a tradition that existed long before their existence. The band was formed in 1998, Gorgoroth was making the same kind of music many years before.
25.02.2008 - 18:02
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 25.02.2008 at 17:50

I don't really what do you mean with Watain being pioneers of orthodox black metal. Musically they're nothing of groundbreaking and lyrically they have the typical satanic lyrics like
"Bonecrush, bloodlust
Behold the remains of jehova in the dust
Suffocate, Desecrate
For Satan's return - Angelrape"

Once again, a good black metal band, one of the best nowadays, but they follow a tradition that existed long before their existence. The band was formed in 1998, Gorgoroth was making the same kind of music many years before.

i guess it's a matter of opinions then. i hear true satanic devotion in Watain and poser whining in Gorgoroth. i'm not talking about the lyrics, but about the whole sound and atmosphere of the music.

typical satanic lyrics? i beg to differ.

To reach the point in this desolation
When it all unveils
The revelation of a mysterious light
Was yet another dismal mirage
And I beheld another gate open
To a wound where dead flesh crawls
A loathsome spawn of what is feigned
By feeble minds, a thin veil that shines

Strong and Luminious
yet suffering from lifes malady
Immense, yet chained
burning for Him
Celestial
but trapped inside life's malediction
Yet slowly fading away
Beyond carnal perdition

Succumb, bearers of his plauge
For his evil eats from within
Behold the falseness in the greatest of riddles solved
Life is a cold and empty lie

Born into a twilight
A mighty yearning to ignite
A voyage across black waters
Still aiming for his paradise.....
Falling into slumber
A departure swept in mist
Embraced by a higher force
Of supreme evil glory

Strong and Luminious
Yet suffering from lifes malady
Immense, yet chained
burning for him
A watcher
Of your pallid and fading grace
For I can see a dawn
Swept in darkest haze

Fire
Burns in my eyes
Gaze into the barrel
And taste the wonders of christ...

sure it's not that complex as Funeral Mist or DSO but this is from their The Essence of Black Purity EP, from '99.
----

25.02.2008 - 18:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Great lyric, I concede you, but don't you think it is rather Dissection-esque? I mean, Dissection lyrics are simpler but I think they follow the same philosophical line, take for example "The Somberlain"

I fell deeper and deeper as light now was gone
I could feel the dark embrace my soul
Agony was no more, and so was pain
At this point of solitude I knew I was there
There where I belong
Thus far a long journey through my souls infinity
It has been a journey far beyond mortality
I have found what I wanted, tranquillity
I'll thrive on evil, eternally

I flew over crystal ground
My existence, numb
Over orchards of grievance,
sorrow and tears
This beautiful silence
calls me now
Black fog devours me but I can see it all
The monument of my past,
this land of seven horizons before my eyes
I reach the land of spiritual rest

Its the dawn of descending
- I am the Somberlain
down to evil divine domain

Lord of infernal, gather my strength
Carry me through the gates

Its the dawn of descending
- I am the Somberlain
down to evil divine domain

For I'm eternal night
- I'm the Somberlain
Precede my evil divine domain

I still think the lyric you showed me is better, but quality doesn't make you pioneer in something.
25.02.2008 - 18:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 25.02.2008 at 18:19

I still think the lyric you showed me is better, but quality doesn't make you pioneer in something.

there are similarities, i agree.
as i said earlier, i wasn't talking about the lyrics. i mean not just about the lyrics. Watain's music reflects their lyrics. the music itself reflects devotion and worships evil. that is what makes them pioneers.
----

26.02.2008 - 06:42
NOИ

Dissection had a long history, with two amazing albums in the beginning, musically and not lyrically so much evil. then Jon was in the jail and bla bla bla... but Watain are exactly what you said, the music reflects their lyrics, and offcourse their image! so I vote Watain because they were satanic from the beginning and also, they have a future, Dissection is dead, RIP.
01.03.2008 - 15:53
Charcharoth

this was a hard one but i think i have to go with Watain. Both band are really great but i do prefer watain. Its true that Dissection have done more for extrem metal and is more classic and everything but nevertheless i dont like there music quite as much, they are to melodic. Watain on the other hand have recorded some of the darkest records ever. Also worth mentioning is that both Watain and Dissection have some of the greatest black metal lyrics out there but once again i must say that watain has a tiny bit better.

However i dissagre with every one saying that Watain is the new dissection and that they are so similar. They are not completely different but they are still 2 totaly diferent bands with diferent sounds.
17.04.2008 - 20:03
Agaatho

Dissection all the way! Nothing beats "The Somberlain" and "Storm of the lights Bane".
17.04.2008 - 20:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Excuse if I don't have so much knowledge about it...
But what that hell is Orthodox Black Metal?...
Can you describe it for me? I mean both musically and lyrically
Please.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.04.2008 - 22:57
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.04.2008 at 20:26

Excuse if I don't have so much knowledge about it...
But what that hell is Orthodox Black Metal?...
Can you describe it for me? I mean both musically and lyrically
Please.

damn, i should stop saying orthodox black metal here i'll get back to you later, through pm. tomorrow.
----

23.04.2008 - 23:04
Nazgal
Account deleted
I agree with Damnated's first post. Watain, for me, is a lot better than Dissection. The riffs are really catchy. Their lyrics are really good, and I'm very much into Orthodox Black Metal.
24.05.2008 - 18:57
ASiema113

While I find Watain to be a pretty good BM band I stil think they fall in comparison to what Dissection has given to the musical world. And I also don't find them to be that overrated TBH, I find that "overrated" is used here as much as "tyrant" during the Middle Ages. But while I find Dissection to be the better choice at the moment, Watain still is capable of creating material that could increase their status in the BM scene. Whereas if the original lineup(minus Jon) came together to make an album chances are they would fall sort of anything great.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
24.05.2008 - 19:13
TheBigRossowski

I voted for couch too, haha! I truly have to sit this one out! Great thread man! Watain and Dissection are both two great bands!!! While I love the fresh sound of Watain's music, I could never get over Storm of the Light's Bane. It must have been groundbreaking back then (much like Bathory in its time). I just don't know...

But to be honest, if I was leaning in a certain direction, I would LEAN towards Watain, but I can't vote against the other...

Again, Damnated, well done-thought out thread! I have heard that a lot about Watain being today's Dissection. It reflects only a bit in the riffs, but not enough to be called "the new Dissection".
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.05.2008 - 22:15
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Dissection, come on, their first two albums were great.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
24.05.2008 - 22:22
Varegan
Hamranakara
I vote for Watain,its lyric themes are more influential and better sound surely
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
25.05.2008 - 15:21
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.05.2008 at 19:13

I have heard that a lot about Watain being today's Dissection. It reflects only a bit in the riffs, but not enough to be called "the new Dissection".

also notice how much Casus Luciferi resembles to DMDS. some riffs are really similar, but the atmosphere is way thicker and definitely more devoting.
----

31.05.2008 - 18:12
Rituale_Satanum

voted for dissection cause they have the better lyrics and music in my opinion even though i dont listen to neither of the bands
----
No-one is closer to the Devil than me
03.06.2008 - 14:17
TheBigRossowski

Written by Rituale_Satanum on 31.05.2008 at 18:12

voted for dissection cause they have the better lyrics and music in my opinion even though i dont listen to neither of the bands

What do you mean, you don't listen to the bands? As in you previously listened to some of it and now listen to something else? Or you heard a few songs on myspace and read the lyrics? What?

That makes no sense then, that's like me going into a poll with Children of Bodom and In Flames...I don't listen to that crap.

I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just trying to rationalize where you're coming from with your point?

And now my wife loves "Where Dead Angels Lie", awesome!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
03.06.2008 - 23:25
Rituale_Satanum

Written by TheBigRossowski on 03.06.2008 at 14:17

Written by Rituale_Satanum on 31.05.2008 at 18:12

What do you mean, you don't listen to the bands? As in you previously listened to some of it and now listen to something else? Or you heard a few songs on myspace and read the lyrics? What?

That makes no sense then, that's like me going into a poll with Children of Bodom and In Flames...I don't listen to that crap.

I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just trying to rationalize where you're coming from with your point?

And now my wife loves "Where Dead Angels Lie", awesome!

I listened to both of them 2 years ago but now i dont listen to them any more so i know theyr music and dissection is a better band than watain...thats why i can tell my opinion
----
No-one is closer to the Devil than me
04.06.2008 - 00:21
Metal_Militia

//This one was easy for me. Im a really big fan of Dissection and fell in love with a couple of their albums. I just plain dont like Watain//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

20.06.2008 - 18:30
Edija
Account deleted
Both are among my favourites.
But Nothing can beat the mighty Dissection if you are asking me.
Watain is pretty good , but I dont even bother comparing them too Dissection.
Sure they have some similar things,but I dont see a reason to call them "New Dissection" or anything like that.
For me, even if they are on of my favourites, lack the Melodys and Emotions that I feel when Listening to Dissection.
But thats just me,but I guess it should be that way , they are doing their own thing.