Metal Storm logo
Heard any good albums from 2008 so far?

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 25.02.2008 - 09:33
Already 2 months have passed and a lot of albums were released. Question is, have you heard anything good?

i have only 10-12 albums from this year, and i can't say i'm overwhelmed. The new Mars Volta was pretty dull and i was bored by the new Ayreon as well. The new Averse Sefira and new Nåstrond both turned out to be mediocre, but the new Behexen was surprisingly good. The new Celestia is also a good record. Didn't have the time or the mood to listen to the new Nortt but i'll get around it soon.

discuss.
26.12.2008 - 01:13
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.12.2008 at 18:32

Written by LeChron James on 25.12.2008 at 01:40

... (... and Exodus to a bigger degree).

what Exodus album? They only released re-recorded OLD songs (yes, Hell's Breath is as old as the other songs on this album)

mmm i didnt find either of the "Atrocity Exhibit" albums to be particularly impressive, though ive only heard a few songs from exhibit B. i forgot exhibit A was released in 07.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
26.12.2008 - 08:02
Shadowcross
The Summoner
The albums ive enjoyed most have suprised me this year. Theres been quite a few disappointing/not so good albums in my opinion they include Kalmah, Children of Bodom and Revolution Renaissance.

Albums that would def make my top 10:
Cor Scorpii - Monument
To-Mera - Delusions
Thy Majestie - Dawn
Psycroptic - Ob(Servant)
Nachtmystium - Assassins - Black Meddle Part 1
Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy

Also very good but not really amazing:
Serenity, Opeth, Cradle, Within Temptation (live release), HIM (live release), Haste The Day, Pod People, Amaseffer, Grave, Mord, Eluveitie, The Black Mages, Mercenary

Everything else I found a bit average
27.12.2008 - 10:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeChron James on 26.12.2008 at 01:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.12.2008 at 18:32

Written by LeChron James on 25.12.2008 at 01:40

... (... and Exodus to a bigger degree).

what Exodus album? They only released re-recorded OLD songs (yes, Hell's Breath is as old as the other songs on this album)

mmm i didnt find either of the "Atrocity Exhibit" albums to be particularly impressive, though ive only heard a few songs from exhibit B. i forgot exhibit A was released in 07.

Exhibit B hasn't been released yet, will probably hit the store in 2009. I agree that Exhibit A wasn't too impressive, but for me it was at least better than the ultra boring Shovel Headed Kill Machine, but like has been said exhibit A is from 2007
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2008 - 10:53
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Ive heard alot of good albums this year and the nicest album ive heard was Forest of Shadows's Six Waves of Woe.
other albums which I liked were, Haggard:Tales of Ithiria, Metallica:Death Magnetic, Opeth:Watershed, Tiamat:Amanethes, Amon Amarth: Twilight of Thunder Gods, Moonspell: Night Eternal, Soulfly: Conquer ...
31.12.2008 - 17:45
In Bone Factory

Twilight Of The Thunder God by Amon Amarth was pretty nice.
also like: Moonsorrow's EP and albums of: Nachtmystium - Haggard - Motorhead - Kalmah - Moonspell - ....
big disappointments were: albums from: C.O.B. - Iced earth - Evergrey - In Flames - Mudvayne.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
01.01.2009 - 14:40
annodomini

This year was quite good, especially for doom releases so much good doom, that i cant even put them all in my top list. But however, 2006 still is my best year musical ever. I hope 2009 will be in some category similiar to 2006.

So here are my top 20:

01. Equilibrium - Sagas (Epic Metal)
02. Draconian - Turning Season Within (Gothic/Doom Metal)
03. In Mourning - Shrouded Divine (Progressive Metal)
04. Akphaezya - Anthology II (Avantgarde Metal)
05. Dawn of Destiny - Rebellion in Heaven (Symphonic Power Metal)
06. Edenbridge - MyEarthDream (Progressive Power Metal)
07. Swallow The Sun - Plague of Butterflies (Doom/Death Meatl)
08. Enigma - Seven Lives/Many Faces (New Age)
09. Opeth - Watershed (Progressive Metal)
10. Isole - Bliss of Solitude (Epic Doom Metal)
11. Amberian Dawn - River of Tuoni (Power Metal)
12. The Cyan Velvet Project - The Towers of Blizzard (Industrial Gothic Metal)
13. Cor Scorpii - Monument (Black/Death Metal)
14. Remembrance - Silencing the Moments (Funeral Doom Metal)
15. Unshine - Enigma of Immortals (Atmospheric Gothic " Druid " Metal)
16. Saatue - Jaahyvasti (Doom/Death Metal)
17. Todesbonden - SLeep Now, Quiet Forest (Folk Doom Metal)
18. Doom:Vs - Dead Words Speak (Doom/Black Metal)
19. Mourning Beloveth - A Disease for Ages (Doom/Death Metal)
20. Venturia - Hybrid (Progressive Rock/Metal)

And the best songs:)

01. Equilibrium - Mana
02. Draconian - Earthbound
03. In Mourning - By Others Cosidered
04. Moonspell - Scorpion Flower
05. Ayreon - Liquid Eternity
06. Dawn of Destiny - Days of Crying
07. Amberian Dawn - River Of Tuoni
08. Unshine - Gathering The Kindred Spirits
09. Akphaezya - Beyond The Sky
10. Todesbonden - Ghost of the Crescent Moon
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.01.2009 - 17:57
grey_gecko

Of all 2008 albums ,testaments formation of damnation was the most satisfactory to me
04.01.2009 - 17:25
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Apart from the obvious ones like Opeth - Watershed, my favourite albums of 2008 were:

Cor Scorpii - Monument

Windir resurrected!! Absolutely fantastic album, with possibly the best opening track i've heard all year, Il Fane Svart! Majestic, moving, fast, complex and intelligent...just that way all music should be.

Mirrorthrone - Gangrene

Stupendous album....this one-man band has more talent and diversity than many 5-man bands altogether. Extremely epic avantgarde and surreal album full of anger, melody and range. Only slight draw back is that the music is so intense that its difficult to listen through the entire album in one sitting - the songs are extremely long. Other than that it's fantastic.

Miseration - Your Demons Their Angels

Best Melodic Death album of the year - period. Took the technicallity and melody and heaviness of Scar Symmetry and multiply it by 100. Excellent musicianship and brute force on this album...

Falconer - Amongst Beggars and Thieves

Very surprised by this album, after the success of Northwind I thought they wouldnt be able to bring out an album of such grace and beauty for a few years to come. I was wrong though, ABaT is equal to Northwind and exceeds it in many ways. Best album of its genre for 2008!

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

Not as good as their previous effort, "Waiting in the Wings" mostly due to the terribly annoying spoken parts in several of the songs....If i wanted an audio-book I'd buy Stephen King's "Dark Tower". I quickly deleted these annoying songs and it greatly improved the listening experience. Awesome band with an insane amount of talent and, if you ask me, the premier melodic progressive band in metal today!