Metal Storm logo
Heard any good albums from 2008 so far?

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 25.02.2008 - 09:33
Already 2 months have passed and a lot of albums were released. Question is, have you heard anything good?

i have only 10-12 albums from this year, and i can't say i'm overwhelmed. The new Mars Volta was pretty dull and i was bored by the new Ayreon as well. The new Averse Sefira and new Nåstrond both turned out to be mediocre, but the new Behexen was surprisingly good. The new Celestia is also a good record. Didn't have the time or the mood to listen to the new Nortt but i'll get around it soon.

discuss.
25.07.2008 - 16:05
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by annodomini on 05.07.2008 at 14:26

Edenbridge - MyEarthDream
And yeas they back. "The grand design" was some kind of experimental Ep (i cant call it Album), but there was really something missing after brilliant "Shine". But now Edenbridge brought us real symphonic orchestra, but also are going in different way like "Shine" or even "Grand Desing", its more progressive, but still in Power metal, a lot arabic influences, very very powerfull and epic drums, and yes double guitar , which sounds heavier that ever, riffs are fantastic. Well one thin that really works well for me is that Sympho Orchestra is used just where it needs to, not everywhere just in case that "There will be areal symphonic orchestra" if you get what i mean. So there is still a place for Lanvall's keybord and programing ("Remember Me"). Well Sabrinna is better than ever, finally she sounds powerfull. Songs are diverse, with lots of catchy melodies and reminding choruses. Every song is a highlight.

First up, her name is Sabine

Why do you call The Grand Design an EP? I dont get it? Its a full length album.

I like MyEarthDream, but i never received that WOW feeling like from the other albums. The thing that annoys me most on the album, was the vocal layering (backing vocals). They make Sabines powerful voice fade away, and make the songs blander. I also miss Lanvalls harmonizing solos, yet i can understand why they didnt need to be on this album, after all, it was meant to be a heavier sound.

Its still a great album, definatly got good tracks, and for one of my favourite bands, they havent let me down.

I havent heard alot this year:
Ayreon - 0100110 ? (cant rem sequence lol)
Helloween - Gambling With The Devil
Eluveitie - Slania

are the ones i bought off the top of my head.

I liked all but Helloween. Very boring album compared to the others i have.
25.07.2008 - 16:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Slavigrom - Kraj Temny where the hell you get that CD, IMO its weary rear and unknown Slovakain band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.07.2008 - 17:24
annodomini
Written by Dark Cornatus on 25.07.2008 at 16:05

And yeas they back. "The grand design" was some kind of experimental Ep (i cant call it Album), but there was really something missing after brilliant "Shine". But now Edenbridge brought us real symphonic orchestra, but also are going in different way like "Shine" or even "Grand Desing", its more progressive, but still in Power metal, a lot arabic influences, very very powerfull and epic drums, and yes double guitar , which sounds heavier that ever, riffs are fantastic. Well one thin that really works well for me is that Sympho Orchestra is used just where it needs to, not everywhere just in case that "There will be areal symphonic orchestra" if you get what i mean. So there is still a place for Lanvall's keybord and programing ("Remember Me"). Well Sabrinna is better than ever, finally she sounds powerfull. Songs are diverse, with lots of catchy melodies and reminding choruses. Every song is a highlight.

I like MyEarthDream, but i never received that WOW feeling like from the other albums. The thing that annoys me most on the album, was the vocal layering (backing vocals). They make Sabines powerful voice fade away, and make the songs blander. I also miss Lanvalls harmonizing solos, yet i can understand why they didnt need to be on this album, after all, it was meant to be a heavier sound.

Its still a great album, definatly got good tracks, and for one of my favourite bands, they havent let me down.

Eluveitie - Slania

I am calling Grand Design 'EP" because there is only 8 tracks and 2 of them a ballads, i dont know why but when i am listening to it it sounds like b-side compilation to me.
----
the riddle wants to be...
25.07.2008 - 18:46
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 24.07.2008 at 23:33

Haha, yeah, I guess I throw the word 'awesome' around quite a bit. But like I said, it takes a lot for straight forward death metal to impress me, yeah there are some dry parts, but how 'bout I change my answer to "very good"?

i don;t want to change your opinion, i'm just saying the album just isn't that good.

are you familiar with Consuming Impulse from Pestilence, or Bolt Thrower? if you think Hail of Bullets is good, check these out if you haven't yet. you'll cream your pants.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.07.2008 - 19:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Damnated on 25.07.2008 at 18:46

Haha, yeah, I guess I throw the word 'awesome' around quite a bit. But like I said, it takes a lot for straight forward death metal to impress me, yeah there are some dry parts, but how 'bout I change my answer to "very good"?

i don;t want to change your opinion, i'm just saying the album just isn't that good.

are you familiar with Consuming Impulse from Pestilence, or Bolt Thrower? if you think Hail of Bullets is good, check these out if you haven't yet. you'll cream your pants.

I agree on the Consuming Impulse part but not on the Bolt Thrower one, not a singlke Bolt Thrower release comes close to Hail Of Bullets imo. Although they might have come close had they recorded anything with Van Drunen on vocals but unfortunatel that never happened.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2008 - 19:25
totaliteraliter
Written by FOOCK Nam on 25.07.2008 at 11:15

@totaliteraliter: can you indicate more about the genre of those stuff you mention. Why seems they all are not in english.

Mostly blackish metal, just bands writing in their native language mostly. Except Njiqahdda (more noise/ambient than black) who I suspect use some invented words.

New Arghoslent, Hornets Of The Pogrom, seems pretty good as well. Not sure if it's an improvement, sounds similar to Incorrigible Bigotry. Plenty of great riffing in any case.
25.07.2008 - 19:28
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.07.2008 at 19:12

I agree on the Consuming Impulse part but not on the Bolt Thrower one, not a singlke Bolt Thrower release comes close to Hail Of Bullets imo. Although they might have come close had they recorded anything with Van Drunen on vocals but unfortunatel that never happened.

vocal vise Bolt Thrower is inferior, that's true, but their music conveys war better imo.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.07.2008 - 20:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.07.2008 at 19:12

Hey now! I love Karl Willetts' vocals! Dare I say, I prefer them to MVD!

I like HoB, but prefer BT's mid-90's releases (before Karl left) and "Those Once Loyal."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.07.2008 - 20:16
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I think that the best 2008 album so far is Detrimentum - Embracing This Deformity. Seriously, this release is a fucking blast! Powerful voice, the solos are very nice and the lyrics too. The whole album is great, absolutely no fillers. I'm almost sure that this is going to be my favorite album of the year. Can't find it in Portugal though...
26.07.2008 - 09:23
selken
Irreligious
Well, I have to be honest
I listened to many brand new albums this year, like Kalma's For the revolution, Ayreon's 01011001 and Eluveitie's Slania
but none of these surpasses Ayumi Hamasaki's Guilty, a JPop album xD
----
27.07.2008 - 14:47
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by annodomini on 25.07.2008 at 17:24

Eluveitie - Slania

I am calling Grand Design 'EP" because there is only 8 tracks and 2 of them a ballads, i dont know why but when i am listening to it it sounds like b-side compilation to me.

That really doesnt make much sense though? Since when is 8 tracks short? Its almost the average amount on any album. 2 ballads? They have had two ballads on just about every album.
27.07.2008 - 14:52
k1tu
Soilent Green Has A Fucking Killer New Album. Love every second of it.
Arson Anthem made a good Debute Album this year.
And Kingdom Of Sorrow slays too.

So i can say that...yes i've heard good albums from 2008.
27.07.2008 - 18:59
VPeter

2007, my friend 2007.
28.07.2008 - 00:54
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by VPeter on 27.07.2008 at 18:59

2007, my friend 2007.

Ah bugger, i must have bought it late. Now my list is even shorter hehe.
28.07.2008 - 01:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Current top ten (can't remember if I've done one here already):

1. Biomechanical - Cannibalised
2. Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting
3. The Sword - Gods of the Earth
4. Hate Eternal - Fury and Flames
5. Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
6. Darkspace - Dark Space III
7. Warbringer - War Without End
8. Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted
9. Behexen - My Soul for His Glory
10. The Monolith Deathcult - Trivmvirate

Yeah I know, not a very diverse list. The only really big surprise in a positive way is Biomechanical - the rest were just surprisingly bad. September is filled with new album releases, so hopefully by then 2008 will seem less pathetic.
28.07.2008 - 04:20
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I finally got around to listening to Watershed...great album and I might add that it's a lot better than Ghost Reveries...I haven't listened to all the albums that you guys are talking about but after being in here and looking around at all the albums that are in this thread I will get to listening to them for sure...the Edenbridge and Ayreon album...I listened to the Ayreon album at least...
28.07.2008 - 11:42
annodomini

2007, my friend 2007.

what are you toalking about:D go to Edenbridge web site and check release date Its absolutely 2008.
----
the riddle wants to be...
28.07.2008 - 14:07
VPeter
Written by annodomini on 28.07.2008 at 11:42

2007, my friend 2007.

what are you toalking about:D go to Edenbridge web site and check release date Its absolutely 2008.

sorry a part of your quote came along as well, I mean only that Helloween album.
that Edenbridge album is pretty nice as well.
29.07.2008 - 13:05
Damnated
Churchburner
Just heard the new Benediction, it's pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. some of the riffs sound recycled, but they sound good anyways.
----

29.07.2008 - 13:58
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
On a second thought... there's some good things this year. I'm just listening to the new Soilent Green. It's really powerful, I'm liking it a lot more than the previous album. It's got more groovy moments than Confrontations, while keeping the aggression. Awesome stuff.
Oh, and also the new Melvins sounds pretty good. Still need to give it more spins, though. The title couldn't be better, though... Nude With Boots. And that dog staring on the cover...

Still waiting for Under Saturn Retrograde, the new MDB and Intronaut, as well.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
29.07.2008 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 29.07.2008 at 13:05

Just heard the new Benediction, it's pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. some of the riffs sound recycled, but they sound good anyways.

I agree one of rear DM band what I like in nowdays
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.07.2008 - 18:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff

Ah, no opinion was changed, I generally do sometimes throw the word "awesome" out there for albums I find enjoyable, sometimes theres a little more emphasis on that word than I intend. Ive heard of Pestilence and Bolt Thrower, not Consuming Impulse though, I'll check it out in a few seconds
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.07.2008 - 00:27
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 29.07.2008 at 18:18

Ah, no opinion was changed, I generally do sometimes throw the word "awesome" out there for albums I find enjoyable, sometimes theres a little more emphasis on that word than I intend. Ive heard of Pestilence and Bolt Thrower, not Consuming Impulse though, I'll check it out in a few seconds

if you haven't heard Consuming Impulse, you haven't heard Pestilence tbh.
----

30.07.2008 - 00:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Damnated on 30.07.2008 at 00:27

Written by Doc G. on 29.07.2008 at 18:18

if you haven't heard Consuming Impulse, you haven't heard Pestilence tbh.

I've only listened to Pestilence in my friends car, so I can't say I got a good listen to them. He played me quite a bit of Bolt Thrower (hes quite excited about Party San in Germany this summer and I got him into HoB so he got really enthusiastic about showing me Bolt Thrower and Pestilence.)
----
- George Carlin
30.07.2008 - 00:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 30.07.2008 at 00:32

I've only listened to Pestilence in my friends car, so I can't say I got a good listen to them. He played me quite a bit of Bolt Thrower (hes quite excited about Party San in Germany this summer and I got him into HoB so he got really enthusiastic about showing me Bolt Thrower and Pestilence.)

definitely check out Pestilence then, and more Blot Thrower if you can. all their albums are a bit similar, but since they have a good, heavy sound, it's just a good thing.
----

30.07.2008 - 00:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Damnated on 30.07.2008 at 00:37

definitely check out Pestilence then, and more Blot Thrower if you can. all their albums are a bit similar, but since they have a good, heavy sound, it's just a good thing.

Definitely. I like what I heard from Bolt Thrower, so that'll probably be the first one I get into.
----
- George Carlin
30.07.2008 - 01:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Doc G. on 30.07.2008 at 00:39

Written by Damnated on 30.07.2008 at 00:37

Definitely. I like what I heard from Bolt Thrower, so that'll probably be the first one I get into.

"For Victory", "Those Once Loyal" or "IVth Crusade" would be my top recommendations, in order. "Those Once Loyal" might be the easiest to find as it was only released a couple years ago.

now back to 2008...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.08.2008 - 10:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Ihsahn . angL

In Mourning - Shrouded Divine

Well, I wasn't familiar with Ihsahn first solo album, but I was reading some metal magazine I bought (I think it is Metal Maniacs, not so good as I might've think) and they had a cd with some of the songs they thought were the best of the year. And there it was "misanthrope" and instantly I thought, I have to have this cd and so I did and I quite liked it. I was familiar with Emperor works, at least with two of them, I was never a fan but I did enjoy the albums I listened to. Ihsahn is something I will listen to more in the future, I quite liked what he did with the songs.

Another new band for me is In Mourning which I discover thanks to a MS review, as so many other bands. And there I was listening to Shrouded Divine, thinking "this is impressive". And there it was. I quite liked the versatility of the songs and the album as a whole is very cohesive. It is a lot to explore.

Both part of the good albums I have listened so far this year.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.08.2008 - 16:31
FOOCK Nam
Gloria Morti - Eryx. I like the cover and their music are not bad, labeled as extreme mixed with melodic metal. The band is very young with this is their 2nd album.
03.08.2008 - 07:32
thesabbathfan
I seem to be the only one I know of who was perfectly satisfied with A Sense of Purpose by In Flames
----