Metal Storm logo
Heard any good albums from 2008 so far?

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 25.02.2008 - 09:33
Already 2 months have passed and a lot of albums were released. Question is, have you heard anything good?

i have only 10-12 albums from this year, and i can't say i'm overwhelmed. The new Mars Volta was pretty dull and i was bored by the new Ayreon as well. The new Averse Sefira and new Nåstrond both turned out to be mediocre, but the new Behexen was surprisingly good. The new Celestia is also a good record. Didn't have the time or the mood to listen to the new Nortt but i'll get around it soon.

discuss.
11.09.2008 - 18:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the new Iced Earth sounds pretty good tbh, i was disapointed with the new priest and metallica albums though
11.09.2008 - 19:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
My favourite albums so far:

Mar De Grises - Draining The Waterheart

Volition - s/t

Meshuggah - ObZen

Biomechanical - Cannibalised

Wrath Of The Weak - Alogon

Krisiun - Southern Storm

Highgate - s/t

Nachtmystium - Assassins

Darkestrah - The Silk Road

Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against Life

Behexen - My Soul For His Glory

Rigor Sardonicus - Vallis Ex Umbra...

A Forest Of Stars - The Corpse Of Rebirth

Kraken Duumvirate - From The Dying Soul To The Eternal Sea

Paganus - s/t

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale

Nortt - Galgenfrist

Tyr - Land
11.09.2008 - 23:47
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 11.09.2008 at 18:04

Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 14:19
A lot of people have complained about the vocals, I really don't see the problem though. They're pretty varied and I think the slightly higher pitched growl works with the music.

I think it's just hard to measure up to the performance on Scepter Of The Ancients. Take away the vocals and even that album isn't all that special; I for one lost interest in this band after the switch and giving Symbols Of Failure a few listens. It's amazing how one unique element can distract you from other elements that are comparatively mediocre.

To be honest I've never considered Psycroptic to be anything more than a good band, never a great one. On all their albums there's too much emphasis on technicality, rather than songwriting. Scepter of the Ancients shares this problem, and different vocals don't add or detract from the fact that a lot of their songs are just technical marvels rather than well written songs. Just look at Gorod, they know how to combine technicality with quality, well thought out songs. They're still pretty good though, even if I do tend to listen to them for the shameless wankery.
11.09.2008 - 23:49
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 19:44

Volition - s/t

Meshuggah - ObZen

Krisiun - Southern Storm

Highgate - s/t

Nachtmystium - Assassins

Paganus - s/t

Nortt - Galgenfrist

Tyr - Land

How does the new Darkestrah hold up against 'Epos'? I'd be surprised they even matched it to be honest, Epos was one damn good song.

Also, what's that 'Kraken Duumvirate' like? MA describes them as experimental black metal. I've been looking for that exact style recently to no avail. Experimental always seems to equal Urfaust style clean vocals etc whenever I get hold of so called stuff. Still looking for another Meads of Asphodel.

Must check out Mar De Grises. Heard nothing but good about them. I didn't think much of the new Nachtmystium and Biomechanical however :/
12.09.2008 - 02:55
totaliteraliter

Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 23:47
To be honest I've never considered Psycroptic to be anything more than a good band, never a great one. On all their albums there's too much emphasis on technicality, rather than songwriting. Scepter of the Ancients shares this problem, and different vocals don't add or detract from the fact that a lot of their songs are just technical marvels rather than well written songs. Just look at Gorod, they know how to combine technicality with quality, well thought out songs. They're still pretty good though, even if I do tend to listen to them for the shameless wankery.

I've never really had a problem with their songwriting, at least on Scepter it's very safe. Technical but within pretty conventional structures, obvious and almost singalong choruses, sort of like later more technical Cannibal Corpse songs where no matter how technical the riffs get the songs retain a familiar though unambitious musicality. I don't know if I'd consider that poor songwriting, it's just a focus on technicality within a very conventional death metal framework (as opposed to later Gorguts or Crimson Massacre, for example, where technicality is noticeable on a holistic level as well as at the level of the individual riff). Simple isn't really a bad thing for Psycroptic, it lacks the ambition of Gorguts but at least it doesn't take it too far into the realm of certain incoherent progressive/avant garde metal or math/spazcore.
12.09.2008 - 03:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 23:49

Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 19:44

Volition - s/t

Meshuggah - ObZen

Krisiun - Southern Storm

Highgate - s/t

Nachtmystium - Assassins

Paganus - s/t

Nortt - Galgenfrist

Tyr - Land

How does the new Darkestrah hold up against 'Epos'? I'd be surprised they even matched it to be honest, Epos was one damn good song.

Also, what's that 'Kraken Duumvirate' like? MA describes them as experimental black metal. I've been looking for that exact style recently to no avail. Experimental always seems to equal Urfaust style clean vocals etc whenever I get hold of so called stuff. Still looking for another Meads of Asphodel.

Must check out Mar De Grises. Heard nothing but good about them. I didn't think much of the new Nachtmystium and Biomechanical however :/

"The Great Silk Road" is imo much better than "Epos". It is straight epic black metal without wasting time in minutes and minutes of sounds of crushing waves and shit like that. And it has long songs, but with their proper length. By the minute 20 of Epos I get just bored.

I don't really know what does MA means with "experimental" in Kraken Duumvirate". Just black metal, with a very tight and opressive sound.
12.09.2008 - 03:57
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by totaliteraliter on 11.09.2008 at 18:04

Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 14:19
A lot of people have complained about the vocals, I really don't see the problem though. They're pretty varied and I think the slightly higher pitched growl works with the music.

I think it's just hard to measure up to the performance on Scepter Of The Ancients. Take away the vocals and even that album isn't all that special; I for one lost interest in this band after the switch and giving Symbols Of Failure a few listens. It's amazing how one unique element can distract you from other elements that are comparatively mediocre.

yeh, i think the great vocals on previous albums (scpeter vocals were amazing :metall: ) tend to make these new vocals seem like nothing in comparison
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
12.09.2008 - 05:47
thesabbathfan

Testaments new album fuckin owns
----
12.09.2008 - 12:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 10.09.2008 at 13:11

Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
Hello? Venetian Snares? Of course it'll be good.

i thought it was mediocre. the beats sounded a lot like the ones from Rossz csillag alatt született, and the album overall was too busy. i listened to it at 4 AM, so maybe that's why i couldn't keep up. but..
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.09.2008 - 21:28
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 12.09.2008 at 12:42

i thought it was mediocre. the beats sounded a lot like the ones from Rossz csillag alatt született, and the album overall was too busy. i listened to it at 4 AM, so maybe that's why i couldn't keep up. but..

Erm.. have you actually listened to any Venetian Snares? Firstly, Rossz Csillag Alatt Született is pretty much considered their masterpiece by anyone who knows them and secondly Detrimentalist is a totally different style. Rossz Csillag Alatt Született was classical based whilst Detrimentalist is more ragga, dance inspired and much more akin to the Pink + Green EP. Detrimentalist is a safe album from him, certainly not in the same league as Rossz Csillag Alatt Született but it's still better than all of his competitors.
13.09.2008 - 18:52
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 12.09.2008 at 21:28

Erm.. have you actually listened to any Venetian Snares? Firstly, Rossz Csillag Alatt Született is pretty much considered their masterpiece by anyone who knows them and secondly Detrimentalist is a totally different style. Rossz Csillag Alatt Született was classical based whilst Detrimentalist is more ragga, dance inspired and much more akin to the Pink + Green EP. Detrimentalist is a safe album from him, certainly not in the same league as Rossz Csillag Alatt Született but it's still better than all of his competitors.

i think it's obvious from my post that i listened to both albums. Detrimentalist is different, yes, but the beats are very similar to the ones on RCASZ. have you heard that album? even if it's classical based, it has a fair share of beats.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.09.2008 - 00:04
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 13.09.2008 at 18:52

Written by Guest on 12.09.2008 at 21:28

i think it's obvious from my post that i listened to both albums. Detrimentalist is different, yes, but the beats are very similar to the ones on RCASZ. have you heard that album? even if it's classical based, it has a fair share of beats.

Has its fair share of beats? That sounds kinda silly. It's breakcore, of course it has beats. Every single one of his albums has those kind of beats. Every breakcore album ever made has breakbeats of somekind. As far as busy breakcore goes Venetian Snares are pretty tame. You should try Xanopticon, Dr. Bastardo or Acrnym for some messed up beats.

Anyway, if you don't like it you don't like it. Though they're still pretty much respresentative of two different breakcore styles (or themes at least) that Aaron Funk does, they both comparitvely soft and relaxed and conform to a pretty conventional 7/4 time signature unlike some of his other albums 'Songs About My Cats' 'Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding' etc.
17.09.2008 - 04:29
sq_xeper

a few months ago I thought new Opeth's record was awesome but nowadays I think its Kolossus from Keep Of Kalessin, its a flawless album but we still dont listen to Enslaved's Vertebrae 'cause thats the only band that can overcome such a perfect record, we'll see at the end of the year
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
17.09.2008 - 04:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by sq_xeper on 17.09.2008 at 04:29

a few months ago I thought new Opeth's record was awesome but nowadays I think its Kolossus from Keep Of Kalessin, its a flawless album but we still dont listen to Enslaved's Vertebrae 'cause thats the only band that can overcome such a perfect record, we'll see at the end of the year

I loved the new Keep Of Kalessin as well. When listening to all my new albums from '08 it generally comes back to that one. Opeths was great the first few listens, I grew tired of it fairly quickly though. I can't quite understand why everyone dislikes the new Keep Of Kalessin so much.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.09.2008 - 07:14
sq_xeper

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 04:41

I loved the new Keep Of Kalessin as well. When listening to all my new albums from '08 it generally comes back to that one. Opeths was great the first few listens, I grew tired of it fairly quickly though. I can't quite understand why everyone dislikes the new Keep Of Kalessin so much.

I agree with you, after a few listens Watershed you feel like you've heard a great record but its definetely not as consistant as Kolossus, Keep of Kalessin's new album makes you wanna listen to it over and over again. But then again lets not make such a rush comment 'cause maybe Enslaved can surprise us
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
18.09.2008 - 11:33
Walter Iego
Author
I have to say I enjoyed Seventh Wonders "Mercy Falls" the best. A classy album with a lot of heart...
19.09.2008 - 12:12
FOOCK Nam

KYPCK - Cherno, a good doom album in Russia. Side project of an ex Sentenced.
19.09.2008 - 12:27
owl

Amon Amarth's "Twilight of the Thunder God".

Gotta love "Where's your God?".
----
20.09.2008 - 02:10
Bas
Retired Staff
for anyone into power metal i highly recommend
Falconer - Among Beggars and Thieves

really an absolutely fantastic power metal album, some very fast parts, some beautiful tranquil bits, really catchy chorusses, a lot of variation, superb musicianship, unique vocal work... it really has anything you could wish for in this subgenre
my album of the year! (behind Ayreon - 01011001 of course )
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
21.09.2008 - 11:36
FOOCK Nam

Woods Of Ypres - Woods III, very good stuff worth checking out. Their guitar is so cold and magnetic. Im sure you wont be dissappointed about then.
22.09.2008 - 14:44
Anathemani@c

I think I ll have to underline Opeth's and Septic Flesh's release... They were fucking great!:banger2:
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
22.09.2008 - 23:47
totaliteraliter

Weltenfeind (new Absurd/Grand Belial's Key/Sigrblot split) seems pretty good. Worth it just for the GBK tracks as expected, which are pretty good for Kosherat leftovers. "Yahweh's Charlatans" might be one of their better songs, and you have to love their punk covers. As for the rest of it Absurd's contribution isn't nearly as awful as some of the hype around this band suggests (I know they don't sound like Facta Loquuntur anymore but that aside their new material is hardly offensively terrible) and Sigrblot's aggressive yet esoteric/occult material has given me a reason to check out their previous release. All in all this seems pretty promising to me.
23.09.2008 - 00:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by totaliteraliter on 09.09.2008 at 20:48

3 Arghoslent - Hornets Of The Pogrom

What's it like? I'm assuming it doesn't sound much different from Incorrigible Bigotry...
23.09.2008 - 01:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by sq_xeper on 17.09.2008 at 07:14

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 04:41

I agree with you, after a few listens Watershed you feel like you've heard a great record but its definetely not as consistant as Kolossus, Keep of Kalessin's new album makes you wanna listen to it over and over again. But then again lets not make such a rush comment 'cause maybe Enslaved can surprise us

From what I heard of the new Enslaved it sounds interesting, probably something I should be checking out. But yes, I think Kolossus is very consistent, my only complaint about the album is the way the bass drums sound like typewriters and they kind of cut through everything (IE-The outro of 'The Rising Sign')
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.09.2008 - 01:32
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 23.09.2008 at 00:39

What's it like? I'm assuming it doesn't sound much different from Incorrigible Bigotry...

Incredibly awesome. Very melodic and easy going. Has grown on me a lot the past few weeks.
23.09.2008 - 01:40
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 22.09.2008 at 23:47

Weltenfeind (new Absurd/Grand Belial's Key/Sigrblot split) seems pretty good. Worth it just for the GBK tracks as expected, which are pretty good for Kosherat leftovers. "Yahweh's Charlatans" might be one of their better songs, and you have to love their punk covers. As for the rest of it Absurd's contribution isn't nearly as awful as some of the hype around this band suggests (I know they don't sound like Facta Loquuntur anymore but that aside their new material is hardly offensively terrible) and Sigrblot's aggressive yet esoteric/occult material has given me a reason to check out their previous release. All in all this seems pretty promising to me.

Heh, I wouldn't mind hearing the Absurd stuff, their last two full lengths were most enjoyable high pitched black metal.
23.09.2008 - 01:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.09.2008 at 01:32

Incredibly awesome. Very melodic and easy going. Has grown on me a lot the past few weeks.

It is very enjoyable but such a crowd-pleaser it is unbelievable.
Totally not a challenge at all. More of the same as they've done before with some slight nuance differences. And as anyone who has heard them before could guess... the title track is an instrumental.
And those riffs, hell, those are the melodic death metal's equivalent of European Flowery Power Metal, but enjoyable nonetheless (unlike EFPM) so that is an achievement in itself. Music like this has me prancing aorund my house with a wide grin from ear to ear like a retarded 7-year-old.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2008 - 01:46
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2008 at 01:42

Written by Guest on 23.09.2008 at 01:32

It is very enjoyable but such a crowd-pleaser it is unbelievable.
Totally not a challenge at all. More of the same as they've done before with some slight nuance differences. And as anyone who has heard them before could guess... the title track is an instrumental.
And those riffs, hell, those are the melodic death metal's equivalent of European Flowery Power Metal, but enjoyable nonetheless (unlike EFPM) so that is an achievement in itself. Music like this has me prancing aorund my house with a wide grin from ear to ear like a retarded 7-year-old.

I completely agree, more or less, it's pretty much the closest you can get to melodeath without actually becoming melodeath. I don't think it's a bad thing seeing as most bands are concerned with being br00tal. It's nice to just listen to some catchy hooks without having to bust a nut.
23.09.2008 - 01:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I totally agree, nowadays I totally hate those bands who are trying to be as brutal as fuck. Nowadays most of it seems to be to be brutal just for brutality's sake and tus forgetting how to write good songs without any hooks.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2008 - 01:57
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Animus Mortis - Atrabilis (Residues From Verb & Flesh)

Awesome new black metal album from my homeland. Great songwriting, great production which makes it sound rotten as hell... good shot to listen loud in a dark room with a beer at hand.