Metal Storm logo
Jeff Waters (Annihilator) vs Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 14.06.2006 - 14:52
A friend of mine and I were arguing one day about this. He says Waters is better, I think Loomis. But since we both don't really know what they can, besides what they show, we kinda got stuck. So, I need your help.

I think Loomis is better, his work on 'This Godless Endeavor' is mindblowing! His sweeps and solo's, also his riffing is great.. And he also contributed on my fav. songs from that album, so I vote him.

Who is better, on every area. So better song-writing, live performance.. etc.

Battle away!

Poll

Who is the better of the two?

Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
Jeff Waters (Annihilator)

Total votes: 85
11.03.2007 - 02:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, since Jeff Loomis will have a guest appearance on the new Annihilator album, maybe we will get to hear those two dudes duel out
26.04.2007 - 22:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Hey pyro, have you heard it yet? I haven't, I'll download it from somewhere.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.04.2007 - 23:16
APOHAKC
The Bard
ARE YOU SERIOUS??????
Jeff Waters is one of the most creative guitarists ever, I mean why do we compare these guys? Because they have same name? This is laughable...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
26.04.2007 - 23:49
Bitch Boy
@ Aronax Of Steel: that maybe a reason but I think it's because of thrash metal (although Nevermore is a mix of many genres).

I've voted Loomis anyway, his riffing is amazing and I think he's progressive technique is really cool.
27.04.2007 - 02:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Lucas on 26.04.2007 at 22:44

Hey pyro, have you heard it yet? I haven't, I'll download it from somewhere.

I heard part of one song, but I wasn't impressed. I've also read countless negative reviews on it. Jeff Waters just doesn't have it anymore...while Jeff Loomis is still tearing it up today.
27.04.2007 - 02:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Anorex. Yes, I am dead serious. Have to admit the name had to do just a little bit with it though.

But hey, for you it seems there is no comparison, but your fav. is losing.

@Pyro. He never had it for me, not too fond of his stuff. However, Jeff Loomis is always god.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.04.2007 - 11:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
@nervel So What? He is loosing on metalstorm, so it means that Loomis is better guitarist... How many of you people actually play your instrument, anyone tried to play Waters's songs?
God damn give me reasons why do you (not only you, everyone) find Loomis better and I will give you double of reasons why I find Jeff Waters better.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
27.04.2007 - 13:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Of course MetalStorm isn't the absolute source of knowledge, I am well aware of that.

How come this comparison is so laughable? You cannot deny Jeff Loomis has some awesome parts. Let me show you one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ESkM2e21I
----

27.04.2007 - 20:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Jeff Loomis shreds his 7 string like a madman and has made every Nevermore album good (he doesn't write everything, but he does write most of it), while Jeff Waters hasn't made anything interesting in years. Never, Neverland is a great album, and Alice in Hell is decent, but everything after those two albums has been crap.
27.04.2007 - 21:17
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Loomis or Waters. Tough question. While I am a fan of both I need to take a step back from who I like and just look at their playing ability.

Now I must make the disclaimer that I have seen Jeff Loomis in concert twice, but have not seen Jeff Waters live, so I can only base my vote upon studio work.

Technical Skills: I have to go with Jeff Loomis on this one. His extremely tight technical playing mixed with sweeping emotional parts is probably the best modern metal guitarist since John Petrucci. which leads me to my next point...

Originality: Jeff Loomis would have this one nailed, if Petrucci hadn't done it first. So this rank has to go to Jeff Waters. His originality is a little bit, well, more original.

Ability to play with others: Now this will be the tie breaker. After reviewing multiple albums featuring both of the artists, I have to say that Loomis does a better job. His ability to play the guitar riffs off of the drum beats is at the top with guys like deGarmo and Rockenfield. Hmm...it must be a Seattle thing. Waters tends to stand out too much at times when he really shouldn't whereas Loomis is always in his place.

So my vote goes to Jeff Loomis.
----
(space for rent)
29.04.2007 - 19:23
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Well I really hate everything about Nevermore, and I really like Jeff Waters playing in Annilators first few albums (sucks more now though), so overall i guess i vote for Jeff Waters.
29.04.2007 - 20:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Interesting, why do you hate Nevermore?
----

19.08.2008 - 12:31
BigBossBW
I think that jeff loomis could easilly be put above many guitarists in the world because to me listening to alot of his work i think some of his sweeps and soloing are extremely complex compared to many guitarists of today so my vote goes to loomis.
13.09.2008 - 23:42
Landry
Go Loomis go!
19.09.2008 - 04:03
MortalTheory
Account deleted
jeff waters all the way.
15.11.2008 - 08:57
Barbaydos
Account deleted
I reckon waters is better his riff work is really creative and so are his solos they kick ass.
17.12.2008 - 22:20
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
Holy crap, this isn't even a fair competition. Jeff Loomis by a long shot. Just watching his face remain perfectly still without a single sign of strain or anything during the sweeps at the end of This Godless Endeavor sends chills down my spine.
Closely related, if you guys have heard Miles of Machines off of Jeff Loomis' solo project Zero Order Phase, it's said that he wrote the synth intro to that when he was seventeen as his first piece of composed music. That takes some serious talent.
07.02.2009 - 20:57
JeffWaters
Account deleted
I love both, they are probably my favourite guitar players... anyway i find them different... they appeared in different moments, they represent different sub-styles...

-I WON'T VOTE, I WON'T VOTE, I WON'T VOTE-
19.08.2009 - 16:52
terrorist
Jeff Waters!!!!!Great guitarist.I am so disappointed because people doesn't pay much attention to the Annihialtor and Jeff.He is realy strong guitarist and i am not just saying this,if you listen to his solos you'll understand what is playing (at least for me) all abouth.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
15.04.2010 - 03:14
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Jeff Waters:

Jeff Loomis:

so, mmm.. both great guitarists, but if i have to pick one then my vote goes to; Loomis .. he's more "impressive" i guess
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
27.07.2010 - 16:00
MetalFist
Account deleted
Jeff Waters, because, in my belief, is more talented. He's just faster, better and can improvise like *click* that. Im sure loomis can, but for me, it's Waters.
27.07.2010 - 19:35
Got Mayhem?
Loomis is in a world of his own. He's easily one of the most accomplished metal guitarists of our time. That being said...I'd much rather have Jeff Water's guitar

RAN = SEX WITH STRINGS
----
17.10.2010 - 19:27
Sorgblad
Loomis for sure
20.10.2010 - 19:56
Hellish Star
Loomis indeed! He's able to put so much more emotions in his leads and riffs
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
09.04.2012 - 16:47
Loomis is better but Waters isn't bad.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter