Metal Storm logo
You're a metal musician - would be a session member of a pop artist?

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 28.02.2008 - 13:17
You're a metalhead and you're a musician too (drums, bass, guitar, etc.); would you go to play for the recordings of a pop artist as a session member?
If you had an offer for just the recordings... no other info about touring, songwriting or joining the support musicians... just to play your instrument for the upcoming album of let's say Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Elton John... Would you do it?

Some examples:

Think carefully before you vote. Thinking as a now "tr00" metalhead you'd say no, but what happens in 10 years from now, when you still have no job and no successful metal band?

Poll

Would you play as a session member for the recordings of a pop artist?

It depends on the artist...
Yeah!
Hell no!
Only if I was in a need for money...

Total votes: 99
10.03.2008 - 01:12
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Sepulchre on 10.03.2008 at 00:56

Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 00:49

Written by Sepulchre on 10.03.2008 at 00:41

I have no interest in pop, so I would not be a session musician for a pop artist. I would only do music that I'm interested in.

And if you needed to earn the money to pay the mortgage? The real world comes knocking...

I guess thats true...

Also, what defines "pop" music these days? In all honesty, I consider Metallica and Slayer to be pop artists.
----
(space for rent)
10.03.2008 - 02:08
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by Dane Train on 10.03.2008 at 01:12

Written by Sepulchre on 10.03.2008 at 00:56

Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 00:49

Written by Sepulchre on 10.03.2008 at 00:41

I have no interest in pop, so I would not be a session musician for a pop artist. I would only do music that I'm interested in.

And if you needed to earn the money to pay the mortgage? The real world comes knocking...

I guess thats true...

Also, what defines "pop" music these days? In all honesty, I consider Metallica and Slayer to be pop artists.

Well, I assumed pop to be like Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears, that type of stuff.
10.03.2008 - 03:58
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Sepulchre on 10.03.2008 at 02:08

Well, I assumed pop to be like Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears, that type of stuff.

That is called "Bubble Gum Pop". Boy Bands are sort of a sub-genre of Bubble Gum, along with the "Girl Band" groups like the Spice Girls. There are all different kinds of Pop. And not all of it is the rather unsophisticated Bubble Gum style. Van Halen, Def Lepard, Guns n Roses, and even Metallica were all pop superstars at one point. Robert Plant just won the Grammy for best Pop Duet with Alison Krauss this year (an amazing album that everyone should buy!!!). There is a whole section of Country Pop, Rap Pop, Hip Hop Pop, Synth Pop.

Some very, very respected artists are/were pop artists like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, David Bowie, Queen, Styx, etc., etc., etc. How many Metalheads would love to play with David Bowie? I mean, Jordan Rudess has play keyboard for him before.

Yes, there is some horrid pop music out there, there always will be. At the same time, there is some atrocious Metal music out there as well. So non of us should try and stereotype any one genre of music. There are good and bad artists in all genres.
----
(space for rent)
10.03.2008 - 05:35
Harmonic
Account deleted
Pop is simply an abbreviation of popular, isn't it?
10.03.2008 - 14:06
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 05:35

So since metal is popular on the site, this means metal = pop?
----
Bitch! Please
10.03.2008 - 18:50
GT
Coffee!!
@iaberis: yes on MS metal is pop...but in the "real" world pop is just what the majority is told to like
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.03.2008 - 19:26
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by iaberis on 10.03.2008 at 14:06

Only if this site is popular, too!
10.03.2008 - 21:02
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 19:26

Written by iaberis on 10.03.2008 at 14:06

Only if this site is popular, too!

Actually Nightwish and many female fronted bands are playing pop metal today...
----
Bitch! Please
11.03.2008 - 06:55
Number Juan

It would depend on how much I respect the artist, whether it's pop or not.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
07.01.2009 - 04:47
Thrashard

For the money, yeah. It's not like it would be hard. All you need to know is about 3 power chords and you're good to go.
07.01.2009 - 18:56
Elio
Red Nightmare
It obviously depends on WHO is the guy to session with.
Actually if it's a nice person, I wouldn't have any problem.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.01.2009 - 19:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Thrashard on 07.01.2009 at 04:47

All you need to know is about 3 power chords and you're good to go.

I don't understand this...you mean that pop only has about three chords and that a metal guitarist simply only needs to know the three pop music chords to team up with a pop artist?

I'd team up with a pop musician if I was a kickass guitarist only to put blazing solos or chunky downtuned riffing in his songs...
07.01.2009 - 21:14
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 07.01.2009 at 18:56

It obviously depends on WHO is the guy to session with.
Actually if it's a nice person, I wouldn't have any problem.

Like Michael Jackson?
But I have a free advice for ya: if you want to work with him, take care of your little sister or brother if you have some..
08.01.2009 - 01:40
Thrashard

Written by Guest on 07.01.2009 at 19:28

Written by Thrashard on 07.01.2009 at 04:47

All you need to know is about 3 power chords and you're good to go.

I don't understand this...you mean that pop only has about three chords and that a metal guitarist simply only needs to know the three pop music chords to team up with a pop artist?

I'd team up with a pop musician if I was a kickass guitarist only to put blazing solos or chunky downtuned riffing in his songs...

I'm implying that pop songs with guitars typically don't involve much skill(in comparrison to metal). Basically I was over exaggerating.
08.01.2009 - 01:59
thesabbathfan

If i was REALLY in a bind for money and had nowhere else to turn, sure.
but i'd ask them NOT to credit me xD

but otherwise, fuck no.
----
08.01.2009 - 02:18
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Blood Red Moon on 08.01.2009 at 02:06

It depends on who I am, If i'm Shagrath then we are doing a split with the backstreet boys!

Word.. And if I'm Gaahl then we are doing a split with George Michael (joking)
08.01.2009 - 15:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
That's a great question. One friend of mine asked me this question about two years ago when I just started with the electric guitar, and I said, "Hell, no!" Now I'd say this: I wouldn't offer my services myself. If I liked an artist I'd do that (if he/she asked me). If it was some crappy, ass-shaking stuff, I'd never do that on principle - because of cognitive dissonance.

By the way, pop doesn't mean bad. There are good quality pop artists, so I'd play for them if I liked them.

Another great example of rock musicians playing on a rap song is Steve Tyler singing the chorus on Eminem's "Sing for the Moment," and Joe Perry playing a kick-ass solo on that song. The song is kind of a cover of Aerosmith's "Dream On," but the solo is just amazing.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.01.2009 - 17:16
Luciferion

I'd probably do it. Especially if it was for a musician who wasn't pure garbage heh. Guess that havinga guest appearence would boost whatever project I was currently working on popularity, and that would be a great help to the band.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
13.01.2009 - 20:14
benvolent

I'd rather do it! Just imagine the fun to mess around in Michael Jacksons studio, while he or any producer tries to explain the word groove to you...
or being the bassist of an extreme death metal band you come to Christina Aguileras studio in a suit and smash all their chlichees!

Another example: Jimmy Page on Puff Daddy's 'Come with me'!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
23.01.2009 - 17:39
JayEstonio
Account deleted
I'll do it! I am a musician and I'll do it but only for one condition: If it is Katy Perry!
24.01.2009 - 12:14
ForeverDarkWoods

It all depends who it is really, and how bad I needed to do it in order to pay for my living expenses. I imagine some people would be really fun working with, while others would just be a pain in the ass. I could really imagine working with a pop musician if he or she wasn't afraid of doing something different than the standard bubblegum pop. It could potentially turn into an interesting experience. I wouldn't want to work with the likes of Madonna or Britney Spears though. I'd like to work with something a little less standardized.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
21.02.2009 - 20:48
Endoftherainbow

As long as there willing to fork out the money... metal dont pay the bills. However with that being said I would only be a session artist I would never tour for them so I would still be dedicating all my time to playing metal. Easy way to make quick good money.
22.02.2009 - 17:40
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Guest on 23.01.2009 at 17:39

I'll do it! I am a musician and I'll do it but only for one condition: If it is Katy Perry!

lol I'm listening to Kary Perry right now! xD
I'd love to bang her
----
Bitch! Please
24.02.2009 - 00:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 01.03.2008 at 03:21

Only if I was in need of money....like I am now. I mean, if I was totally rich I wouldnt see the point. It also depends on the artist as well, for example, Id totally play for Prince.

yeah, those are my thoughts on this too, i'd totally fucking play a guitar solo for U2 or Madonna or Lenny Kravitz or something, i mean like GOOD pop music people.. but mainly for the money. in the case of RBD or Coldplay the check would have to rise a bit
24.02.2009 - 02:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 24.02.2009 at 00:18

Written by Doc G. on 01.03.2008 at 03:21

Only if I was in need of money....like I am now. I mean, if I was totally rich I wouldnt see the point. It also depends on the artist as well, for example, Id totally play for Prince.

yeah, those are my thoughts on this too, i'd totally fucking play a guitar solo for U2 or Madonna or Lenny Kravitz or something, i mean like GOOD pop music people.. but mainly for the money. in the case of RBD or Coldplay the check would have to rise a bit

Actually scratch what I said. I'd play for anybody as long as they made the right offer, but preferably I'd love to play for someone like Prince or Billy Idol.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.02.2009 - 02:36
Galar
Wicked Mung
Hell no. I have to much pride to do any of that shit, and nothing is more un-metal than pop. I would rather be sacrificed to lucifer almighty.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
24.02.2009 - 04:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Galar on 24.02.2009 at 02:36

Hell no. I have to much pride to do any of that shit, and nothing is more un-metal than pop. I would rather be sacrificed to lucifer almighty.

Your telling me even if you were offered like $300 000 you'd turn it down? I mean, its not like your a famous musician with a reputation to ruin or anything.
----
- George Carlin
24.02.2009 - 04:51
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 04:42

Your telling me even if you were offered like $300 000 you'd turn it down? I mean, its not like your a famous musician with a reputation to ruin or anything.

Pride is more important than money. For me personally, ya I would turn it down. No im not crazy, I choose to listen to the music that I listen to. I'm not going to pretend to be something that I am not, and I would not want to put my name on garbage like pop. Money is just a number, money isn't as important to me as the way people perceive me.
----
24.02.2009 - 04:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Galar on 24.02.2009 at 04:51

Pride is more important than money. For me personally, ya I would turn it down. No im not crazy, I choose to listen to the music that I listen to. I'm not going to pretend to be something that I am not, and I would not want to put my name on garbage like pop. Money is just a number, money isn't as important to me as the way people perceive me.

Meh, you wouldn't need to put your name on it, you just walk into the studio lay down a riff, walk out cash your check. I like money.
----
- George Carlin
24.02.2009 - 04:55
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 04:52

Written by Galar on 24.02.2009 at 04:51

Meh, you wouldn't need to put your name on it, you just walk into the studio lay down a riff, walk out cash your check. I like money.

Even if I did not have to put my name on it, I would still be associated with it one way or another. Ultimetly not worth it.
----