26 users:
Band: Noekk
Album: The Minstrel's Curse
Release date: February 2008

01. The Minstrel's Curse
02. Song Of Durin
03. How Long Is Ever
04. The Rumour And The Giantess

Prophecy is one of the few labels with big balls? Their team takes a lot of risks and signs really atypical bands, Noekk is one of them. I've never heard anything about this German combo before that I receive their last release "The Minstrel's Curse" (a EP) but damn I happy to know them. I love Heavy Metal, I like Doom (Doom Metal and classic Doom), I love the bands which include progressive stuff in their music and Noekk is like that!

"The Minstrel's Curse" is a superb surprise for me! This album is an incredible mix of Doom Heavy Metal with big heavy riffs and really cold ambiances. Though, it's not so dark in reason of the really good operatic voice of the singer Funghus Baldachin. The songs are all really long complex with a lot of variations with arpeggios like real Heavy Metal riffs. This is progressive Doom for sure and this is cool to see that Savatage can meet Candlemass. It's special though and I think that some people will not like the really special voice of Funghus Baldachin (I personally think that it's original and really good!). But if you like Heavy Metal and classic Doom, if you like long songs with tons of break and different passages, I'm sure that you'll like "The Minstrel's Curse".

This release is just a EP but it's promising for the upcoming albums of the combo. They have good lyrics a good general ambiance in their music and in their attitude, I don't see why this band couldn't find success. The production of this release is excellent and this is one of the most original album that I've heard lately so? As I said already you just have to like Heavy Metal Doom and Progressive music and for sure you'll like this album.

Let's see what will happen in the future of Noeek but I'm ready to bet some money on this band. They will never be mainstream, their songs are catchy but not easy of access and commercial, though this band is really original and they have something special in their music, something unique. Be sure to check this release, this is fresh and you'll have a lot of good suprises!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 03.03.2008

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 124 users
03.03.2008 - 16:49
FOOCK Nam

All this band's members are ex-Empyrium, by the way, their previous stuff also is good. This one is promising expected for me.
03.03.2008 - 20:19
Rating: 9
Varegan
Hamranakara
I haven't checked this album yet.but I'm curious to know which Turin they meant,because I know two Turins:one in Tolkien's novels(as the king of dwarves) and another one in Norse myth.
I just listened to first track, that was a special song because Markus stock and Thomas Helm and Konstanz sing together on it
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
04.03.2008 - 06:05
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I hope this is as good as The Water Sprite!
04.03.2008 - 11:41
annodomini

This album was a big surprise for me, because i am a fan of Noekk for about two years, and their previous two albums was a mirracle in a music scene, but this album is another fresh breath, heavier and darker, Noekk did it again
----
the riddle wants to be...
22.04.2010 - 21:17
Noekkk

Don't talk about this band in public
----
Night...
Long...
Obscured...

Hits total: 5495 | This month: 7