Metal Storm logo
Woods Of Ypres

Original post

Posted by Detric, 15.06.2006 - 18:16
You either hate or love this band, I love it. They are from Canada and well known of playing melodic 'summer black metal'. I know it sounds really stupid, but I think it works out pretty well. They released a demo called Against The Seasons in 2002 which was re-released in 2005. Then they released a full-length called Pursuit Of The Sun & Allure Of The Earth, great album in my opinion. The debut is more black metallish and has a more raw sound to it, while their full-length is far more melodic with alot of clean vocals, but still good, I cant decide which one I like the best. Most people Ive talked to about this band, usually say the music is fantastic, but the vocals are boring and unsteady. But thats actually what I like about David Gold's vocals, they are unique, and I think his vocals fits the music perfectly! Have anyone lisnted to Woods Of Ypres, if you have, what are your thoughts about them? For those who dont know, they will release a new album this year called Woods III.

Taken form their website:

"The new record will mark a return to the harsher, colder sound of the original demo, while also pushing new boundaries and exploring new musical ideas"

Im really looking forward to this. For those of you who havent heard Woods Of Ypres go to www.woodsofypres.ca there are some songs you can streame directly from the website.
13.01.2008 - 11:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.01.2008 at 11:08

Written by Bad English on 16.06.2006 at 18:01

Written by AntaeusM on 16.06.2006 at 17:48

I move this topic to the extreme metal forum..since it is a black metal band. No matter it is melodic and about summer

"Wnter, my home
kill summer
darkness rulles
snow kill south'

Which are these lyric words from? or you made it?

man its old post , I dunno ,maybe I wrote tham whan listened band, realy dunno
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.09.2008 - 01:46
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Pursuit of the Sun & Allure Of The Earth has been re-released .

It can be bought direct from the band - for info email David Gold : woodsofypres@hotmail.com
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
21.06.2009 - 16:33
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Oh boy! I just can't stop listening to Wood III (=
too bad Jessica Rose has left the band >: hope their upcoming release won't disappoint
----
loves 小巫
04.12.2009 - 01:18
Sonsofsabbath
I thinks it is intersing that they can truly reporduce norwegian black metal sound. I had thought that it was something in the water in norway, that mde there music so depraved. I love this stuff !
04.12.2009 - 12:57
TheBigRossowski
I always make a little list or a note of bands that I want to check out. This one keeps crossing my path, but I've somehow always forgotten about it!

Now is the time! Dude powers, activate!!!!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
05.12.2009 - 13:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This is really great band! i dont know why it took me so long to give them a try
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.12.2009 - 22:31
Misha_76
The "Green Album" is fucking great! Among the Top-3 albums of 2009!

Cheers!

"Life is just pain and piss, it's nothing that I will miss"
20.12.2010 - 14:27
Joker
When i first heard this band it was like what the fuck with the vocalist, he's sick or bored to sing...
then it turned out to be one of my best bands EVER... this guy David Gold is a genius musician and lyricist.. i can't pass a day without listening to this band, The Will to Give, Your Ontario Town, Deepest Roots Darkest Blues, Iron Grudge, Distractions of living alone, Shards of Love, I Was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetary, Wet Leather, Suicide Cargoload, Natural Technologies, Retrosleep, Mirror Reflection, Move On...etc
Fucking legendary songs, congratulations...This band made something new in metal
21.12.2010 - 00:28
bif91
Against the Seasons is one of my favorite album, really love it!
Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth is quite good too, over average atleast.
The Deepest Roots and Darkest Blues...BIG let down. They put on way too many songs. I only found "The Northern Cold" "Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground" "Years of Silence (and the Private Joke)" and "Song of Redemption" worth listening to.
Woods IV: The Green Album - How funny, at this very moment I got to change my opinion about this record, for a bit atleast. I tried to listen to this one for half a year (from the date of release to the summer), but just couldn´t (bored the hell out of me every time). But now when I was about to write a couple of lines about how bad I think it is, I think I will have to change my mind. Just gave it another try and...well, think I will give it a couple of more spins, maybe the time has come, maybe I will be able to enjoy it now. Not that I think it suddenly sounds great, but I will give it another try. This might end up with a higher score than the previous album.
Still, my thoughts on Woods of Ypres has changes with the last two albums.
----
"It's the team that matters. Where would The Beatles be without Ringo? If John got Yoko to play drums the history of music would be completely different"
- David Brent
22.12.2011 - 09:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Based on their new song, I have a feeling these guys won't be sticking around in the extreme section of this site for much longer...

They seem to be aiming for an Anathema-esque atmospheric alternative progressive rock thing, but to me it fails in literally every aspect. I'm not a huge fan of the band so it's not like I'm terribly upset over this direction, but yikes. Hopefully this isn't a taste of things to come...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.12.2011 - 00:48
ß
Problem?
It most likely is, sadly. They've been on a downward spiral since The Deepest Roots And Darkest Blues.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
23.12.2011 - 02:24
Savopipo
Sucks!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
23.12.2011 - 11:59
The Turbanator
What the fuck??

David I. Ypres apparently passed away just now, involved in car crash.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
23.12.2011 - 12:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by The Turbanator on 23.12.2011 at 11:59

According to his girlfriend (wife?) on Facebook this is indeed true.

Funeral proceedings to be carried out on the 28th.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.12.2011 - 12:42
The Turbanator
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.12.2011 at 12:04

Written by The Turbanator on 23.12.2011 at 11:59

According to his girlfriend (wife?) on Facebook this is indeed true.

Funeral proceedings to be carried out on the 28th.

Sad news man, really.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
15.02.2012 - 01:51
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Savopipo on 23.12.2011 at 02:24

Sucks!

Good constructive post.

(I would say what I really want to say, but I would most likely be banned for it, so I'm going to close my lips.)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.02.2012 - 02:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.02.2012 at 01:51

Sucks!

Good constructive post.

(I would say what I really want to say, but I would most likely be banned for it, so I'm going to close my lips.)

But Savopipo is right...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2012 - 02:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2012 at 02:11

Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.02.2012 at 01:51

Sucks!

Good constructive post.

But Savopipo is right...

>.>
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.06.2012 - 19:50
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I somehow stumbled upon David Gold's last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/DavidGold.
Stuff like this creeps me out.
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.06.2012 - 20:27
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Milena on 25.06.2012 at 19:50

I somehow stumbled upon David Gold's last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/DavidGold.

There are quite a few artist personal profiles on last fm. I remember seeing Dan from HANL.
If i'm not mistaken there used to be a group with a list of artists that were on last fm
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
25.06.2012 - 22:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 25.06.2012 at 19:50

I keep going to his YT page and watchign all of his studio updates. He had a really good sens eof humour

I don't listen to him as much as I used to, but he is still one of my favourite musicians, and by far, my favourite lyricist.

"It's so easy to get your fill...

...When the engine turns and pushes in the dirt...

It's too easy to be satisified...

...When all you want to do is lay down and die..."
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.06.2012 - 08:14
The Turbanator
For me their best work was "The Deepest Roots and Darkest Blues".

After that it's just downwards.
----
26.06.2012 - 15:01
Good band. I really like them. Although i did think Woods IV wasn't very good but everything else is quite good.
26.06.2012 - 15:08
Pinnacle was Grey Skies & Electric Lights for me by a longshot. And Boxcar Willy is right. I can't think of any better lyricist in the entire genre of metal.

"We are confined, to the nature of reality
Where the failure of our system, will be the end of our dream
Between the fields of darkness, before and after we exist
Earth is a spiritual place, but there is nothing after this

We were nothing... for a billion years before our time
And we will be... nothing more again, for an eternity yet to come..."
26.06.2012 - 16:51
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by deathexhortation on 26.06.2012 at 15:08

I can't think of any better lyricist in the entire genre of metal.

I can think of ten, but he's pretty good
----
26.06.2012 - 17:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 26.06.2012 at 16:51

His lyrics (especially his earlier ones) Deal with Northern Onatrio quite a bit.

And I live in the Hellhole that is Northern Ontario, so I connect a great deal with what he's writing about, some times he even talks about places I've been, or roads I've travelled on.

His recording studio was about an hour away from my house, His oth BM project is actually labelled under "Thunder Bay" on Bandcamp.

I'm sadden and extremely dissapointed in myself for not going to any of his shows, as he's been to Thunderf Bay 9 times. I'm not really sad about missing the concert, I'm sad about not getting to meet him. I watch his videos, and live footage of concerts from random dive bars, and I see this care-free guy, who likes to joke and talk with his fans. He really cares about the music, and he cared about the fans.

His sense of Humour is awesome

This is my favourite song by him, the part when the distorted guitars come in is simply fantastic.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.06.2012 - 20:11
The Turbanator

They're definitely way better lyricist than him in metal. Atmo BM bands do write good lyrics for me. It's a very subjective thing to talk about.
----
27.06.2012 - 08:14
Written by The Turbanator on 26.06.2012 at 20:11

They're definitely way better lyricist than him in metal. Atmo BM bands do write good lyrics for me. It's a very subjective thing to talk about.

100% subjective. I'm sure Woods of Ypres' lyrics sounds "emo" and "lame" to some ("lame") people, but for me they strike to the core and I can make startling comparisons between Gold's philosophies and my own.

"Better" in terms of actual skill? Theory? Is there any "qualified" poets on the metal scene these days? God knows. I don't believe in all that shit anyway.
27.06.2012 - 11:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by deathexhortation on 27.06.2012 at 08:14

100% subjective. I'm sure Woods of Ypres' lyrics sounds "emo" and "lame" to some ("lame") people, but for me they strike to the core and I can make startling comparisons between Gold's philosophies and my own.

"Better" in terms of actual skill? Theory? Is there any "qualified" poets on the metal scene these days? God knows. I don't believe in all that shit anyway.

It is subjective. Willy said "there's no one better", I said that I personally prefer others and then I-can't-remember-who-it-was agreed with me and mentioned other writers. That's all no one said anything about David Gold's lyrics being emo. Calling stuff "emo" just because it's sad is pretty... 2006. So you have a good reason to mock anyone who says that
----
27.06.2012 - 16:01
Written by Milena on 27.06.2012 at 11:10

Written by deathexhortation on 27.06.2012 at 08:14

It is subjective. Willy said "there's no one better", I said that I personally prefer others and then I-can't-remember-who-it-was agreed with me and mentioned other writers. That's all no one said anything about David Gold's lyrics being emo. Calling stuff "emo" just because it's sad is pretty... 2006. So you have a good reason to mock anyone who says that

I agree. I just thought up a rather extreme hypothetical label. In reality any time a person calls something "good" or "bad", it's subjective, along with most of the other adjectives we commonly throw around. So saying "David Gold's lyrics are the best" can only actually mean "I believe David Gold's lyrics are the best". I can think of some people who would call his lyrics emo, but none of them are metalheads, and most of them are idiots. Wait, I mean most of them are idiots in my opinion. ;-)