03. Tribal By Blood
04. Immortal
05. One Life
06. In The Dark
07. Strength
08. Freedom
09. Never Yield
10. The Yellow Brick Road

Ricardo Confessori cleaned up the house in 2006, remaining the only active member of Shaman due to "musical differences" with former band mates André Matos, Hugo & Luis Mariutti and Fabio Ribeiro. After posting two studio releases since their previous split from Angra, could the Brazilian scene handle another split? Well, 2007 brought us the answer with a new lineup and a new fantastic album, Immortal.

With Léo Mancini filling in on guitars, Fernando Quesada on bass and Thiago Bianchi on vocals, the band struck gold to recreate the golden years of Brazilian Metal. Obviously oriented more progressive than ever due to Ricardo's drumming, this Immortal brings furious heavy tunes and power ballads back to life.

Sure, the vocal style is very similar to André Matos but why complain? After all, that is what we would expect as Angra did the exact same thing when André left the band and replaced him by Edu Falaschi. The accentuated progressive edge of the songs renders this album the best thing coming out of the diverse projects created from the ashes of the original Angra lineup since 1996's Holy Land. With enraged guitar work and epic compositions, this new Shaman has seduced my musical senses like never before. Songs like 'Strength' and 'Freedom' embody the essence of the new Shaman, fast, catchy and technical.

It remains Power Metal by all aspect as it is clear on the opener 'Inside Chains', and a handful of songs might be perceived as too cheesy. However, I strongly believe that this album is the start of something bigger. The band is younger and the new musicians all have something new to offer.

If you liked the previous Shaman albums, I strongly encourage you to check out André Matos solo project instead. On the other hand, if the thought of hearing great prog power appeals to you Immortal is definitely for you. You are standing in front of one of 2007's best progressive metal albums, and surely one of the surprises of the year. Now, we know what musical differences arose between Confessori and his former band mates.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 08.03.2008 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 190 users
08.03.2008 - 09:02
Evil Chip

Great album, it sounds a lot like Holy Land and Ritual the best albums of Shaman and Angra in my opinion, but it still lacks of the surprise element. Andre Matos will always be a eternal shadow of the bands he left.
08.03.2008 - 11:35
wrathchild

I don't really know what to say of this album. I was very impressed when they released One Life on their website, as a demo version, but apart from that song I guess I still need time to fully appreciate the record.
But yeah, André Matos' new album is probably a better choice for me, it's growing on me actually.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
08.03.2008 - 13:11
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I listened to the demo versions like 6 months ago, I remember that I liked them but I don't know what I would think today. But Shaman remain one of the best power metal bands there is, so I guess I should hear it.
It's just that... replacing Matos and Hugo Mariutti should be almost impossible. I'll see.
08.03.2008 - 14:47
GT
Coffee!!
Hmm sounds like I have to give this album a listen. Have only heard One Life and didn't find it anything special but still quite nice
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.03.2008 - 03:16
b0000mst1ck

i downloaded this album last night to give it a try. to be honest, i listened to the first three tracks and turned it off. i didn't hear anything ground-breaking or innovative (although the opening track was really good), but i know i have to listen to the entire album before forgetting about it altogether. the most disappointing factor was the vocalist. there's no special aspect to his voice, or his range.

maybe my opinion will change in the next week because i plan on listening to the entire album a few times. but ATM i'm not in any hurry to get on that.
10.03.2008 - 22:13
Rating: 7
BlankFile

This album is very good, it deserves the credit that has receveid. Ricardo Confessori has the whole merit, for not giving up of this excellent band. I honestly think that this member change that happened in the band was for the better for all the parts involved, no doubt about it. All the songs are extremely catchy, lots of tecnique and strong riffs, beautifull environments, and amazing vocals. Songs like Immortal, In the Dark, Tribal by Blood or Strenght are hard to forget. Indeed this band has a lot to give, lots of talent and magic.

Stay Metal people |m|
03.04.2008 - 07:08
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
i've waited too much to buy this album.. have to get it very soon, im crazy to listen.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.04.2008 - 02:06
Rating: 9
juanopereira

Absolutely agree! Iwould give it a 9. I think this is an excellent album and like you said, this is the beginning for something bigger. For me, it's their best one. Matos it's an excellent musician but his voice it's too melodic and sweet for me. I prefer something more aggresive like this new Shaman.
08.05.2008 - 23:02
Rating: 7
BlankFile

I´ve Heard both André Matos new album "Time to Be Free" and this one of Shaman "Immortal". I have to say that this album appeals way more to me than the album of André Matos. This album by Shaman is excellent in every term and for me has more quality than André Matos new band, debut album.
27.05.2008 - 02:02
SolMusic Manag.
Account deleted
Hello to all,

Tiziana Hurd here, SolMusic Management Inc. from Canada, and Shaman international agent.

I want thank all people comments and I really I hope to give you as soon as I can a great European tour for the next year...It will be a very special tour, something new ... please you stay in tune...and thanks again loving Shaman.

We love you all.
Tiziana Hurd, Shaman's agent
SolMusic Management Inc.
Canada
20.06.2008 - 22:18
Arçaliz
Account deleted
Good work, good debut and a new era begins of Shaaman.
01.08.2008 - 21:49
SolMusic Manag.
Account deleted
Hello to all,

Tiziana Hurd speaking, SolMusic Management Inc. Canada, and Shaman's Intern. Agent.

First, thanks to all SHAMAN fans loving the band.

I start to tell that the band name is anymore SHAAMAN but changed in SHAMAN and I think its very important to spell right the NEW BAND NAME.

IMMORTAL CD had good reviews in worldwide, and for that I want thank all medias, Shaman and management appreciated it very much.

But, the best SHAMAN news its that WE ARE READY TO BACK IN EUROPE NEXT YEAR 2009 in MARCH/APRIL with an amazing project that I put together by myself.

Shaman will be touring in SYMPHONY, in fact Musa Gocmen Symphony Orchestra of Turkey will be touring with Shaman to present IMMORTAL CD and also the best Shaman songs from their old discography.

I want thank Orchestra's conductor Musa Gocmen working with my band to arrange all songs for this important European tour 2009.
To share the stage there will be 40 musicians and the tour will be moved by 2 professional cameramen for our DVD LIVE.

I started the booking in these days, and I'm very happy to hear back from many promoters and I'm sure it will be an amazing tour.

If you are a promoter and you are interested for a show in your country, please contact me back to discuss all terms together. You can leave your message in my profile here in metal storm link.

Thanks very much all our fans that were waiting so long time to see back their PREFERRED BAND...

SHAMAN is ready to rock!

Love you all.

SolMusic Management Inc. Canada
Tiziana Hurd, Shaman's Agent.
www.SolMusicManagement.com
01.07.2009 - 07:37
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Found it worse than the other works. I was surprise when they released, but now I get a little dissappointed.

It is decent, its Shaman after all. But in comparison with Reason and Ritual this one is mediocre.

Don't know if its just me, but the production also seemed a little poor. Got to find another cd.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 8197 | This month: 12