Metal Storm logo
Geocaching

11.03.2008 - 10:35
Fuath

pretty much like hide and seek. or treasure hunting

pretty much, someone hides a cache somewhere, gives people the coordinates,(and sometimes some puzzles) and other people go and find it
a cache is another word for a stache (or so im told)
inside the cache, there is a logbook, to sign and to see how many people have been there
and sometimes there are items
anything from rare coins, to rocks, to toys (that you can trade for with another item)

caches can be anything like a gumnut, or a bolt, and acorn, or a container
but musnt be on private property
and must contain a logbook

other times a cache can be a natural thing, like a rock, that you take a picture of and post it here
http://www.geocaching.com/

is anyone else just as insane as i am?
does anyone else want to learn more?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

12.03.2008 - 09:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol an acorn containing a logbook
12.03.2008 - 11:42
Fuath

Written by Valentin B on 12.03.2008 at 09:12

lol an acorn containing a logbook

beleive it or not, yes
same goes with a bolt we found one time
it had a long peice of paper attached to the end of it when we pulled it out of its hole
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

12.03.2008 - 11:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
sounds like fun, though i can't imagine a geocaching trip up here, it would be much more fun in australia with the huge wild landscapes and etc.
12.03.2008 - 11:53
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I have a geocache challenge for you Fuath (Hint: Sandstone)

LAT (DD MM) -25 20 LONG (DD MM) 131 01

Honestly this sounds pretty cool, imagine going on vacation to another country and logging in the book, then going back 40 years later to see your name there and sign your kids up... (if it hasn't been vandalized yet...)
12.03.2008 - 14:40
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
My brother and I spent a good part of our summer a few years back doing Geocaching. I have to say, it was a great time. Both of us being outdoor adventure leaders, it was right up our ally. If anyone likes going for walks in the woods and wants a bit of a challenge with out having to go backpacking or anything like that, I'd recommend doing this.
----
(space for rent)
15.03.2008 - 10:10
Fuath

Written by Dane Train on 12.03.2008 at 14:40

My brother and I spent a good part of our summer a few years back doing Geocaching. I have to say, it was a great time. Both of us being outdoor adventure leaders, it was right up our ally. If anyone likes going for walks in the woods and wants a bit of a challenge with out having to go backpacking or anything like that, I'd recommend doing this.

do you still do it now?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

16.03.2008 - 05:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Fuath on 15.03.2008 at 10:10

do you still do it now?

Sadly, I don't. I am just so busy these days I don't have the time to do it. Also, my brother lives about 12 hours from me now.
----
(space for rent)
17.03.2008 - 12:02
Fuath

Written by Dane Train on 16.03.2008 at 05:35

Written by Fuath on 15.03.2008 at 10:10

do you still do it now?

Sadly, I don't. I am just so busy these days I don't have the time to do it. Also, my brother lives about 12 hours from me now.

i can sort of understand that
ive given up alot of hobbies and interests
mostly for other people

you should call him up for a weekend or something, when/if you get the time
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

22.07.2014 - 14:24
JD
Account deleted
I have been Geocaching for a while now, I found some crazy uniqe caches in Germany. Looking forward to build my first cache in the next few months.
22.07.2014 - 17:49
ANGEL REAPER

Ha! I had academic project to built Android app for that ... (as part of my Mobile Systems and Services course)
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"