Metal Storm logo
Ion Dissonance

15.06.2006 - 23:08
Daibh
Account deleted
Okay. I've given this thread the sub-category of "metalcore" -despite the fact that I think it's a silly term.

This band I have been familiar with for a long time, it seems. Only upon listening to their music earlier today, in full -with no distractions- did I appreciate it fully for what it is.

So ~from Wikipedia:

"Ion Dissonance is a metalcore/mathcore band from Montréal, Québec, Canada. They have often been compared to The Dillinger Escape Plan, Gorguts and Meshuggah. They are known for their technical riffs which played one over another, groove-like drum patterns and extremely heavy atmosphere"

I ask you all now, what you think of this more interesting of bands, not too well known among the masses?

Here is a link to their homepage, for more info: http://www.id357.com/

Cheers
16.06.2006 - 16:00
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
first album is excellent, second album seems a bit unadventourous. they seem to have become less original between albums
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
21.06.2006 - 15:52
Thryce
Retired Staff
Ion Dissonance - Part Ways With Vocalist :

Ion Dissonance vocalist Gabriel McCaughry has announced his departure from the group with the following statement:

"It's over... and it's probably the hardest decision I had to take in my entire life. There are so many reasons... to be totally honest with you, I don't even know where to begin with this. Basically the Passion was slowly slipping away, but of course its not that simple. Over the years, several concerns (problems) began to spawn in my mind and concerned only me I guess, my personal views on how I was picturing myself doing in the band. And therefore my views on how I perceived Extreme music in general which differed from what Ion Dissonance would become. And I cannot deny the fact that it also had to do with some intra-social issues within the band itself.

Let it be known that I hold no grudge whatsoever and will always be eternally thankful for those years spent with Ion Dissonance, touring, rocking hard and having a blast. Yet I feel like now is the time for me to move on and step aside... I need to find myself other means of expressions. Its time for me to concentrate more on different styles of music, different artistic mediums and focus more on personal issues for instance. There are so many things I wanna achieve in life that were impossible for me to undertake and still be a 100% committed to the band. Hopefully some of you guys will still follow my evolution as a writer, lyricist, graphic designer and conceptualist... This won't be the last time you'll hear about me, I promise.

I will miss you all, and you have no idea how grateful I am to have met so many quality individuals and friends on the road and throughout the years. I am speechless for all the fans we've acquired along this harsh path and especially for the support you've showed us and showed me. I sure hope I was a source of inspiration to some of you and know that in return you were my main source of motivation. I always tried to be completely genuine and honest through both my lyrics and performance and I hope you cherished those moments and those shows as much as I did.

I wish all the best to my brothers in Ion Dissonance I know everything they're gonna release is gonna be nothing short of amazing for lack of better words, don't even doubt it."

(Source : here)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
22.06.2006 - 05:11
SepulchralOath
Account deleted
Another example of that technical metalcore genre...not a huge fan of that stuff.
25.06.2006 - 06:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 05:11

Another example of that technical metalcore genre...not a huge fan of that stuff.

Nah, they're not technical. They're just random.
30.06.2006 - 00:23
Nathan Lurker

This is a band that needs top be seen LIVE. They played a couple of time here with Despised Icon and everytime is a blast. The vocalist is just crazy. Him leaving the band is a great loss. Their music at first didn't get to me, but it grew on me with every show I saw. I think their latest album sounds better than the first.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
19.07.2006 - 23:24
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 25.06.2006 at 06:55

Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 05:11

Nah, they're not technical. They're just random.

Try to play their songs.

Ion Dissonnance are not AVERAGE guys, they are top quality metalcore and have one of the most brutal sound you can get live. Yes, it sounds like a bunch of riff thrown together and played with no specific order, BUT that's just grow on you the more you listen to them. I personaly know no other bands like them.

Plus the mosh pits at their hows are insane.
27.08.2006 - 08:19
helofloki
Account deleted
These guys are propably my favorite of the technical hardcore sounding bands. And they are certainly the heaviest. Their use of poplyrhythms, interesting guitar work and insanely intense breakdowns is absolutely perfect. They write songs that fucking work. The vocals are great too, not just the typical scream stuff, real bad ass. The music has real balls and I like that.
18.10.2006 - 12:14
Thryce
Retired Staff
Ion Dissonance announces new singer:

Montreal's Ion Dissonance has announced the permanent addition of vocalist Kevin McCaughey (Shaolin, The Last Felony) to their line-up. McCaughey replaces frontman Gabriel McCaughry, who left the band earlier this year. The band has issued the following statement:

"We are really proud to welcome our really good friend Kevin McCaughey to the Ion Dissonance family. Things are going really well so far with him on vocals, Kevin played a few shows with us already and his vocals fit perfectly with our music and what we were looking for. We would like to thank everyone who tried out for us and would like to wish them good luck in their projects. Otherwise, we are currently writing our third album right now and it's going really well so far, we have a lot of new stuff already and all we can say is that we feel it's some of the best stuff we have ever written. We just announced our final tour dates for 2006 and after that we'll finish tightening things up to record it next spring. More updates coming soon about the recording."

(Source: http://www.lambgoat.com)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
28.10.2006 - 07:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think that the new singer is better. I've heard some of his stuff with The Last Felony and he seems like his voice is a wee bit stronger. It's been a while since I've listened to both though...
05.11.2006 - 11:46
Apophallation
Account deleted
Ion Dissonance - Substantial Guilt Vs. the Irony of Enjoying
Because of the part at 0.13 minutes i keep listenting this song! so awesome

but for some reason they sound better throu speakers, than with headphones
dont know why :/
12.02.2008 - 09:34
Zombie, M.D.

I really enjoy this band, Solace is one of my all time favorite cds. At first Minus the Heard was kind of disappointing but its starting to grow on me. It's lost a bit of the chaos and added way more oddly timed palm muted "chuga-chug" which I was really pissed about at first but I think it adds more atmosphere overall. My only real complaint is the new vocalist. This new guy isn't even close to being on the same level as Gabriel. The new guy sounds more hard/metalcore influenced whereas Gabriel just sounded like a lunatic. I miss his deep spoken word voice too, this new dude doesn't quite cut it.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
15.02.2008 - 10:30
b0000mst1ck

i used to dislike ion dissonance because of the grindcore elements in their music, but minus the herd quickly became one of my favorite hardcore cd's. i really hope they stick to that style for their next release.