Release date: 2008

01. Einleitung
02. Herbstlied
03. St. Cuthbert
04. Erdmacht
05. Rache Der Kobolde
06. Ásatrú
07. Keltenschanze

"Nebelheim" is the second album of Slartibartfass. The German combo uses to play some kind of Viking Folk Black Metal. It could be good for sure but unfortunately the majority of the songs of this album are really simple and average and damn sometime the sound of the keyboards is just terrible and cheesy as hell. What's happening here?

I think that I understand what's happening with Slartibartfass, the band just lacks of maturity in its compositions. The general level of Slartibartfass is not so bad and some songs can be ok but all in all that's a bit weak, not really original, repetitive and boring in the end? The problem of "Nebelheim" is that the album really lacks of energy and only the bagpipes played by Jessica gives something catchy to the music of the combo. "St. Cuthbert" is probably the better song of the album with a good riff and a nice melody produced by the bagpipes, though one more time it's a bit long and messy with time and can be boring really? Damn it's hard to explain but this album is just monotonous, not catchy, this is not horrible but weak and not really interesting.

I like Folk and I use to listen to such music and I can tell you that the production of "Nebelheim" is really correct. It's easy to hear the Folk instruments but damn why did they have to choose this sound for the keyboards? It's a bit like with Finntroll but it's worst and when you know that the songs aren't so good you'll quickly have the feeling that you're listening to something out of date? Too bad?

What can I add? Slartibartfass is not a bad band in my opinion but the guys clearly lacked of inspiration with this release. This is not catchy and the album suffer of big problems, I can believe that some die-hard fans of Folk Metal will find some things for them in this release but if you want good Folk, believe me, there are a ton of better bands. Slartibartfass will have to be better next time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 15.03.2008

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 66 users
16.03.2008 - 19:09
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Why the hell is a folk band named after a character in a science fiction novel?
16.03.2008 - 19:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Spyroid on 16.03.2008 at 19:09

And if that ain't even weird enough they even misspelled the character's name...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2008 - 23:49
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2008 at 19:45

Written by Spyroid on 16.03.2008 at 19:09

And if that ain't even weird enough they even misspelled the character's name...

Maybe it's a pun? If that's the case I don't get it anyway...

Hits total: 4452 | This month: 13