Metal Storm logo
Paganism

21.03.2008 - 05:20
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, the other one's reached over 500 posts, so I figured to open a new one before the old one is locked. I'll copy paste the old opening post from the thread, so that nothing is really different:

Paganism, often accepted as well as practiced by many metal heads around the world. Some for the sake of rebellion, others because they have found a sincere truth in it. Not only metal heads but people of all different kinds all over the world practice religions that may be described as "Pagan." I Personally would classify Paganism as being any religion that is not what would be considered one of the worlds three major religions. (I.E. Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) a few Religions that can fall under this category are Odinism,Wicca,Hiduism,Babolonian,greek, and roman. Unfortunantley many of these religions of have been weakened and almost decimated by other religions, mainly the catholic church,no offense to any catholics. I myself am a Pagan, and follow mainly Celtic and Norse ideals, with a cross of some asian Spiritual outlooks and philosophies. So basicly, what are your thoughts on paganism? Are you a pagan? Just add anything else you would like to say. Now go on, discuss, discuss.

Alright, enjoy guys.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
21.03.2008 - 08:20
Chaosgoat

I an Odinist. I have a lot of other beliefs as well, but I will save those for another thread. I found some decent PDFs of some Odinist/Asatru literature a few months back. PM me for the link.
21.03.2008 - 15:03
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Chaosgoat on 21.03.2008 at 08:20

I an Odinist. I have a lot of other beliefs as well, but I will save those for another thread. I found some decent PDFs of some Odinist/Asatru literature a few months back. PM me for the link.

Hey man, it's cool to share any beliefs that you might have. I mean, this is the paganism thread, right? So any pagan beliefs are cool to share, or anything else pertaining to the topic

Also, go ahead and post the links out in the open. No biggie.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.03.2008 - 06:49
Chaosgoat

Written by Arian Totalis on 21.03.2008 at 15:03

Hey man, it's cool to share any beliefs that you might have. I mean, this is the paganism thread, right? So any pagan beliefs are cool to share, or anything else pertaining to the topic

I'm not too sure of the legality, but I'll post it anyway:

http://www.divshare.com/download/2993374-f63
22.03.2008 - 17:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Chaosgoat on 22.03.2008 at 06:49

Written by Arian Totalis on 21.03.2008 at 15:03

I'm not too sure of the legality, but I'll post it anyway:

http://www.divshare.com/download/2993374-f63

Well, my computer is thoroughly retarded at times, so I wasn't able to download the file successfuly, BUT, I did see that it was about Norse Mythology, and that's perfectly acceptable.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.03.2008 - 09:36
Chaosgoat

I have a question. Is it just me or does the Wiccan goddess seem very similar to the christian god?
23.03.2008 - 17:22
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Chaosgoat on 23.03.2008 at 09:36

I have a question. Is it just me or does the Wiccan goddess seem very similar to the christian god?

Eh, some people might make that comparison, but others might make similar comparisons with other gods. Don't let a few similarities make you think that they're the same thing.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.03.2008 - 03:51
Chaosgoat

Written by Arian Totalis on 23.03.2008 at 17:22

Eh, some people might make that comparison, but others might make similar comparisons with other gods. Don't let a few similarities make you think that they're the same thing.

What other gods might those be?
24.03.2008 - 05:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Chaosgoat on 24.03.2008 at 03:51

Some might say Odin, and some might say Zeus, due to the fact that they are seen as "Father" figures of their pantheon, in a similar fashion to the christian god. They also retain other traits seen in the christian god, for example, Zeus is very wrathful at times, and his son, a great hero for his time for the people, died during his visit to earth. After his son died, he rose to olympous to join his father's side, similar to jesus. Odin is extremely wise, and generally gives very strong advice to his followers, but if not heeded, your path could be disasterous, also something that the christian god is known for. However, these are only small comparisons. When you look at the big picture, you'll see that they are seperate individuals from the christian deity, just like the mother is.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.03.2008 - 08:15
Chaosgoat

Written by Arian Totalis on 24.03.2008 at 05:23

Some might say Odin, and some might say Zeus, due to the fact that they are seen as "Father" figures of their pantheon, in a similar fashion to the christian god. They also retain other traits seen in the christian god, for example, Zeus is very wrathful at times, and his son, a great hero for his time for the people, died during his visit to earth. After his son died, he rose to olympous to join his father's side, similar to jesus. Odin is extremely wise, and generally gives very strong advice to his followers, but if not heeded, your path could be disasterous, also something that the christian god is known for. However, these are only small comparisons. When you look at the big picture, you'll see that they are seperate individuals from the christian deity, just like the mother is.

That makes sense.

I have another question. What defines paganism? When people ask my religion, I tell them that I am Asatru. I see that as being completely seperate from other pagan religions. Is paganism just a collective term for the non-mainstream religions, or are there other defining characteristics? For example, Asatru and the american indian spiritual practices are as different as christianity and Buddhism. What makes them both paganism?
24.03.2008 - 14:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Chaosgoat on 24.03.2008 at 08:15

Written by Arian Totalis on 24.03.2008 at 05:23

That makes sense.

I have another question. What defines paganism? When people ask my religion, I tell them that I am Asatru. I see that as being completely seperate from other pagan religions. Is paganism just a collective term for the non-mainstream religions, or are there other defining characteristics? For example, Asatru and the american indian spiritual practices are as different as christianity and Buddhism. What makes them both paganism?

Paganism is a very broad definition, but that's because it's a term meant to encompass a variety of religions that fall under certain criteria. First of all, they are generall non-Abrahmic. This means that we must automatically consider them seperate from Christianity, Islam, or Judaism, because all three are dominant world religions, and all three are mono-theistic, AND all three lock into eachother. Pagan religions also tend to be Polytheistic, having more than one god most of the time. And lastly, yes, generally they aren't mainstream religions, even though there are a few (see hinduism) that have very large world followings. You're correct when you say that Native american and Astaru are two totally different religions, but they both are pagan, as they both fall under the required criteria.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

25.03.2008 - 05:33
Chaosgoat

Thanks for the explanation. I've heard it used by christians as a term for any religion that doesn't worship the abrahmic god. I've even heard the term being attached to muslims(by stupid fundamentalists). Luckily there aren't very many of those types in my area, and people have been accepting of my spirituality.
25.03.2008 - 15:09
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
good, very good. There are those who would scorn you for being different, so it is a blessing to have accepting people around you who won't shove the idea that you're "going to hell" down your throat.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.04.2008 - 04:55
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Thread revival attack number two!!!!

HYYYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.04.2008 - 05:13
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Arian Totalis on 10.04.2008 at 04:55

HYYYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Well I read a little bit about the Druids the other day and am reading a book on Norse religion. I guess that counts. I've always favored Paganism because it seemed to hit closer to home than any of the major world religions. I personally don't take divinity as fact, but the spiritual aspect I can see occurring, that being just life.
----
The force will be with you, always.
10.04.2008 - 16:28
Hangar XVIII

Written by Chaosgoat on 25.03.2008 at 05:33

Thanks for the explanation. I've heard it used by christians as a term for any religion that doesn't worship the abrahmic god. I've even heard the term being attached to muslims(by stupid fundamentalists). Luckily there aren't very many of those types in my area, and people have been accepting of my spirituality.

Wow, that's awesome.
I'm like, Christian(ish), but people say I'm a devil worshipper for playing dungeons and dragons and listening to metal.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
10.04.2008 - 18:57
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Hangar XVIII on 10.04.2008 at 16:28

Wow, that's awesome.
I'm like, Christian(ish), but people say I'm a devil worshipper for playing dungeons and dragons and listening to metal.

Gotta love those Satanic elements in D&D...
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
10.04.2008 - 19:11
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Clintagräm on 10.04.2008 at 05:13

Written by Arian Totalis on 10.04.2008 at 04:55

HYYYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Well I read a little bit about the Druids the other day and am reading a book on Norse religion. I guess that counts. I've always favored Paganism because it seemed to hit closer to home than any of the major world religions. I personally don't take divinity as fact, but the spiritual aspect I can see occurring, that being just life.

Yeah, I understand completely. It is very true that many pagan religions try to capture the essence of pure, naturalistic states, and thus the essence of life. An apreciation for life is seen in almost any of them, though they do differ from religion to religion. I suppose Wicca and Druidism would be two very major examples of pagan religions that do. As for Norse religion, the elements that they capture usually tend to be more harsh, normally more themed by frost and snow than sunlight and spring (Though that too, is amply illustrated) I dunno, I guess this post seems a little random, I'm just ranting I guess lol.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.04.2008 - 19:13
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Judas on 10.04.2008 at 18:57

Wow, that's awesome.

Gotta love those Satanic elements in D&D...

lol yep. I mean, in the dungeon masters handbook, it clearly states that you have to swear your alliegience to La'Vey and strive in life to satisfy your inner ego
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

17.05.2008 - 16:15
Sunioj

Haven't posted here in a while...

Does anyone have anything to share regarding festivals or symbolism for things in spring time? Personally, besides being my favorite season for the weather, it is indeed one of the true times during the year that a person can feel refreshed in a sense.

Lest it be from the progression of the wet gloomy weather to temperate or the full revival of vegetation, I look at these details as symbols for the individual or even spiritually that one can draw comparisons with Paganism, my knowledge in other geological areas regarding paganism during this time of is limited, but I do hold interst for my own roots, such as ancient festival called 'floralia', april 28 - may 3rd... or something like that.

To which celebrated the revival of life, and in an agricultural sense went a long way because peoples living conditions depended on the seasons, of course this deity was very synanomous with other figures such as Ceres ( earth goddess ), and towards a more occult example like the Eleusinian mysteries which included rites which enacted the return of Persephone to the earth to which symbolized revival of life... Which these are iMO, a true reflection of the characteristics of Paganism universally. Often mirroring the needs, hardships, and time for celebration of the most common people.

One thing I would conclude with, is that I read a source saying that festivals that started on even numbered days were considered bad luck, ( referencing change of date for spring festival, Floralia from 27 to 28 ). Does anyone know why this is?

Cheers.
18.05.2008 - 07:59
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Actually, I have no idea how that would have happened. I mean, I wouldn't think that it would make a difference whether it landed on an odd or even date. It sort of sounds like an unneceserry superstition as opposed to most Pagan beliefs that I know.

As far as spring time goes though, well, I love it too. Nature in itself, and in it's seasons, reflect the cycle of life. The spring time is my favorite time in those Cycles, for it is a representation of new begeinings, new life, and new love. I feel so alive looking at the trees and flowers blossom, and the smell of nature in the air. I can feel the living energy of everything around me, and I must say, it feels great.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.05.2008 - 05:53
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I support the emotion ov paganism, like how it remembers its roots and how much of it doesn't allow christianity to bully it into thinking otherwise, When I listen to Moonsorrow, i feel good for (i guess) politically connecting with them.......But really, the worship of many gods is superstition........why worship many gods if there's no proof ov their existance? Then the reverence could be all in vain.
24.05.2008 - 05:57
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted

Wow, that's awesome.

well you should get the hint then
Christianity is not for you my friend.
If you are a self respecting person, why would you put yourself in position for others to judge you? Abandon that shit man, i did and I am most satisifed! Those (christians) who judge you must answer to their god for being a stumbling block to another being.....but the path you choose is your own, think about that.
24.05.2008 - 09:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

You mean this
http://avalon.albuquerque.nm.us/wicca/goddess.htm
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2008 - 09:50
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Bad English on 24.05.2008 at 09:51

You mean this
http://avalon.albuquerque.nm.us/wicca/goddess.htm

Ah, here we go again.

Yes, there may be similarities, but the same could be said of many different pagan gods with the christian god, and even with eachother. However, there are fundumental differences that seperate them and make them individual entities. It's just like different people, we all have something in common, but we're all different.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

25.05.2008 - 09:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
about that think, sorry CHRIATISANS neve rknow about that statua ttill archelogs discovere it in 19th century and there nonconecetion between that and chrsitianity
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2008 - 10:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Bad English on 25.05.2008 at 09:54

about that think, sorry CHRIATISANS neve rknow about that statua ttill archelogs discovere it in 19th century and there nonconecetion between that and chrsitianity

All I'm saying is that there are distinct differences
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.07.2008 - 03:59
Wintermute

I am not a pagan, nor do claim to be, but I am interested in the ways of the pagans
----
Life is a waste of time.... time is a waste of life.
02.07.2008 - 07:05
Rade66
Account deleted
I'm an atheist, but i am very interested in paganism, and even considering some form of it as my religion.

What i like about it is that it is that it seems far more open and less forceful than most popular religions. I was raised christian, but i just cant agree with any popular religion or the bible.

The believers in many of the popular religions are just terrible. Ive met many religious people who've spoken strongly against me and my beliefs, some going as far as insults and threats. Ive never said anything against any of them or their beliefs, but deep believers in a religion that promotes you to treat others equaly go against me for no reason other than differing beliefs. My own mother has accused me of being a satanist. My cousin(who is also an atheist) when his son was killed he looked to our grandpa for support. Roughly what he said was: Your don't beleive in god, and neither did the mother. You never had your child baptized. Your son is in hell right now.

Another thing, they could write a book on how to and not to get into heaven, some of it is just crazy. No matter how good a person is they cant get into heaven for numerous reasons, ranging from being gay to to not going to church often enough.

And one god controls the entire world and everything that happens? If that true then that's a f'ed up god with the state the worlds in. Gods ways couldn't possibly be that mysterious could they? A countless number of people shape this world together, not any single god.

I don't mean any disrespect to christians, catholics, etc. though many may hate me for calling god f'ed up. But from my view on life these religions give nothing to the world but hope that everything will be good in the end. Which is one reason i can understand them being so popular, but its just false hope IMO.

Well that ends my rant on the dominant religions, but i still believeve there has to be some form of higher power other than human beings. Which is why some form of paganism would be far more more suited to my personal beleifs.
05.07.2008 - 03:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Wintermute on 02.07.2008 at 03:59

I am not a pagan, nor do claim to be, but I am interested in the ways of the pagans

Do you have any questions that you would perhaps like to ask?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko