Metal Storm logo
Most Under Appreciated Metal Musician

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 25.03.2008 - 09:27
Metal has had its share of virtuoso musicians that have moved from band to band to band. In some rare cases said musician has rejoined the band that rejected them in the first place. in your opinion, who is the most under appreciated/ abused musician in metal today?
04.07.2009 - 14:44
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Let's take a poll on this message board to all the 'metalheads' out there and see exactly how many people know who chuck schuldiner is. i bet less than half. is he well known in the circle of the dm community that listens to old school tampa bay dm?-yes. but then again, dm is the most obscure form of metal today, ESPECIALLY brutal dm. probably like 20% of the metal population listens to it, and therefore that's how few people know who chuck is.

and yes i agree that towards the end of chuck's career, he turned the page for progessive dm but his music was nothing like modern melodic/progressive bands like arch enemy and the like. but no, i don't buy your conspiracy theory, he was not an asshole, and i'll leave it at this thought: if chuck was such a jerk, why did rozz and eric greif decide to work with him again after being fired once before?
04.07.2009 - 14:49
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Quote:

That's what I was thinking... but I usually just let fan boys/girls have their spills on their bands. Plus, I find their fanciful reasoning of why their beloved bands/musicians are so god-worthy amusing.

who the fuck are you? fan girl? lol okay. i'm literally one year younger than you so you must be waaaay past me in maturity and life experience, dumbass.
04.07.2009 - 14:52
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 03.07.2009 at 21:46

I am by no means a fan of Death Metal (ok, I like some of the melo-death bands) but I really dig Death. But then again I have bad taste in music.

you probably listen to death's later stuff, although the earlier albums are somewhat more digestible vocal-wise compared to other tampa bay bands of that time like cannibal corpse or deicide. and you should never put "death" and "bad taste in music" in the same sentence!
04.07.2009 - 15:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.07.2009 at 14:44

but then again, dm is the most obscure form of metal today, ESPECIALLY brutal dm.

I really do beg to differ on this one. Dm is far from the most obscure form of metal today and especially brutal dm is far from being obscure as well. Maybe wer'you're from in the States. But let me guarantee you that here that brutal DM is is far less obscure than doom metal black metal or even thrash metal. Brtual dm shows and also other dm shows easily sell out venues whereas when it comes to doom a band is extremely happy when more than 100 people turn up, same applies to black metal and thrash metal shows although those are less obcure than doom.
It is currently a trend to start brutal dm bands and organise brutal dm shows.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2009 - 17:13
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.07.2009 at 14:52

Written by Dane Train on 03.07.2009 at 21:46

I am by no means a fan of Death Metal (ok, I like some of the melo-death bands) but I really dig Death. But then again I have bad taste in music.

you probably listen to death's later stuff, although the earlier albums are somewhat more digestible vocal-wise compared to other tampa bay bands of that time like cannibal corpse or deicide. and you should never put "death" and "bad taste in music" in the same sentence!

Cannibal Corpse is from Buffalo, NY.
----
(space for rent)
04.07.2009 - 21:42
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

... dm is the most obscure form of metal today...

This is a joke, right?

... probably like 20% of the metal population listens to it, and therefore that's how few people know who chuck is...

What? Since I don't really listen to Death... I don't know who Chuck Schuldiner is? Your logic is flawed.

... but no, i don't buy your conspiracy theory...

What? How is this a fucking "conspiracy theory"? A 41 year-old metal head who has met the guy IN PERSON... TWICE (two more times than you ever did)... is telling you the guy's an asshole, and you question the legitimacy of his statement over your fanciful ideal of a guy who died when you were around the age of 13? What?! Who cares if the guy was a dick anyway? Mikael Åkerfeldt is an kinda an asshole, but I still really like Opeth.

Besides... I wouldn't fuck with Marcel. He's wise as shit when it comes to all things metal.

Written by Guest on 04.07.2009 at 14:49

Quote:

That's what I was thinking... but I usually just let fan boys/girls have their spills on their bands. Plus, I find their fanciful reasoning of why their beloved bands/musicians are so god-worthy amusing.

who the fuck are you? fan girl? lol okay. i'm literally one year younger than you so you must be waaaay past me in maturity and life experience, dumbass.

Yes... I believe your outrageously bias, comments grant you the label of fangirl... or boy, because your crude remarks are making you sound like a dick. But what would I know, because I'm obviously a dumbass, right?

Written by Dane Train on 04.07.2009 at 17:13

Written by Guest on 04.07.2009 at 14:52

you probably listen to death's later stuff, although the earlier albums are somewhat more digestible vocal-wise compared to other tampa bay bands of that time like cannibal corpse or deicide.

Really, ironfiststew, you should quite while you're ahead.
07.07.2009 - 06:43
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Quote:

chris barnes = cannibal corpse in my mind. he's in tampa now, so i associate old school CC (the only 'corpse' that matters) with the tampa scene.

Quote:

Really, ironfiststew, you should quite while you're ahead.

i should "quite"? marcel's opinion is literally a minority opinion of chuck's legacy. A LOT of people would beg to disagree with him, myself included, and i have no reason to deny anything. i honestly could care less if chuck was truthfully an asshole, but here's the thing... i don't believe he was one in the first place! why can't you get that through your fucking fat&sassy skull?

let me rephrase it so i can dumb it down for you: do you HONESTLY believe that chuck schuldiner, walked around and purposely fucked around with stage production so his opening bands would sound like shit? if you say yes to that, you are a complete and total dumbass. sorry, but you are. if some guy claims to have met him and witnessed this first-hand, he obviously has his own issues to hash out, but let's use some common sense here okay? really, just use your head on this one.
and yes, brutal dm is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more obscure than black metal, prog/melodic dm, or any other subgenre of metal i can think about (besides local label folk bands), and you either live in tampa bay or scandinavia if you beg to differ. black metal is HUGE right now, brutal dm is a thing of the 90s and whatever's left of the scene cannot even compare to the ticket sales of bands like opeth, arch enemy, and dimmu. to say that brutal dm is NOT obscure is laughable.
07.07.2009 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.07.2009 at 06:43

and you either live in tampa bay or scandinavia if you beg to differ. black metal is HUGE right now,

NO I don't live in Tampa Bay or Scandinavia, I live in The Netherlands and here (as in Belgium and UK as well) brutal dm is way bigger that black and doom. Old school dm is as small as doom and smaller than black. seeing you're saying brutal dm is something from the 90s it seems like you're mistaking it for old school dm. Death, Morbid Angel, Massacre, Obituary, Incubus etc are NOT brutal dm at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.07.2009 - 22:00
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.07.2009 at 17:38

Old school dm is as small as doom and smaller than black.

Were I live, most "extreme" types of metal aren't all that popular outside of the underground metal scene, ESPECIALLY old-school death metal. I went to my friends show last week. They were playing with Deicide (... DEICIDE), and there were maybe 30-40 people at the show. It was fucking pathetic.

But back on topic... I think Tilo Wolff from Lacrimosa is VERY unappreciated... at least here in the states. The guy is a fucking MASTER composer.
09.07.2009 - 09:41
Crème fraiche
It's ok, she's from New Jersey. She doesn't know any better
11.07.2009 - 17:28
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Written by Crème fraiche on 09.07.2009 at 09:41

what's that supposed to mean?! >:o north jersey= guidos, south jersey = rednecks, central jersey (where i'm from) = most culturally diverse and bipolar place in america. in central jersey, melodic and progessive death metal and folk black metal are huge right now.

and btw, no one can argue with my claim that old school dm ticket sales are nothing compared to progessive bands. it's a sad reality, but it's true and i honestly don't think it's ever going to change.
11.07.2009 - 21:38
Crème fraiche
Your lucky Symphony X is from New Jersey lol. One of it's only redeeming qualities.
11.07.2009 - 22:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Crème fraiche on 11.07.2009 at 21:38

Your lucky Symphony X is from New Jersey lol. One of it's only redeeming qualities.

We also have to remind ourselfs that Bon Jovi is from there too.
----
(space for rent)
11.07.2009 - 23:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.07.2009 at 17:28

Written by Crème fraiche on 09.07.2009 at 09:41

what's that supposed to mean?! >:o north jersey= guidos, south jersey = rednecks, central jersey (where i'm from) = most culturally diverse and bipolar place in america. in central jersey, melodic and progessive death metal and folk black metal are huge right now.

and btw, no one can argue with my claim that old school dm ticket sales are nothing compared to progessive bands. it's a sad reality, but it's true and i honestly don't think it's ever going to change.

You said brutal death metal instead of old school death metal, and that is a totally different thing
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.07.2009 - 09:45
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

central jersey (where i'm from) = most culturally diverse and bipolar place in america.

I beg to differ. Where have you been outside of Jersey?
12.07.2009 - 11:12
Hellkommando
Well ill try bring this back on topic a little, lol. In terms of talented muscians that are underrated or forgotten I think Reb Beach from Winger is a quality guitarist. Also George Kollias from Nile is a very good drummer as well.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
13.07.2009 - 09:09
Galar
Wicked Mung
Gylve Nagell, Fenriz, ladies and gentleman. This guy does it all. Literally. Much love for the Fendog.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
14.07.2009 - 00:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.07.2009 at 09:45

central jersey (where i'm from) = most culturally diverse and bipolar place in america.

I beg to differ. Where have you been outside of Jersey?

I agree. I was born in Jersey. That is one place that is going nowhere fast.
----
(space for rent)
14.07.2009 - 16:17
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.07.2009 at 22:00

But back on topic... I think Tilo Wolff from Lacrimosa is VERY unappreciated... at least here in the states. The guy is a fucking MASTER composer.

+1 on that. Tilo Wolff is an amazing musician, but IMHO he'll never get the ''glory'' he deserves in the metal scene, since most people associate him with darkwave or EBM movement. Which is a shame, because Lacrimosa's album are essential in the sympho/gothic/darkwave scene and all the product of Wolff's amazing talent.

I would like to expose Ronny Thorsen also as not appeciated as he should be. I think Trail of Tears are one of those bands who never get enough credit (except from the fan base, of course), but they are a really quality band, probably one of rare gothic metal bands that never sold out, never played the cards as femme fronted (cause the femme vox are equal to male) and cause Ronny didn't give up on ToT when the ''bands mates'' all left him, but he went on and created one of the best bands of ToT up to date. Go Ronny!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
16.07.2009 - 16:39
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Quote:

if you don't like suburban culture you'll hate central jersey. and the only local music i've ever heard from the entire east coast that i think has serious potential (or for that matter, doesn't suck major ass) is from central jersey. www.myspace.com/eliminatorus

so many shitty bands signed on major labels and these guys go under the radar. it's sad actually. and if you think these guys are 'nothing special' you have no standards in life, end of story.

Fun band, but indeed nothing special since this has been done to death in the Eighties by many a European and US thrash band. Eliminator suffers from the same disease as almost all the retro thrash bands these days, no original ideas and sound of their own. Good for half an hour live or to play at parties, but that's it.
20.07.2009 - 17:45
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Wtf did someone hack in to my account and post this? i didn't post this...
20.07.2009 - 19:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.07.2009 at 17:45

Weird, cause I am sure I posted it.

So... to everyone here... Ironfiststew didn't post that but it was me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.07.2009 - 19:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.07.2009 at 19:30

Are we being hacked by terrorists?
----
(space for rent)
20.07.2009 - 19:54
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Lol, Marcel is a hacker
20.07.2009 - 22:26
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.07.2009 at 19:30

I was wondering why that comment actually made sense... >:[
21.07.2009 - 02:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
While we sort out what sort of bug caused this weird display of events, let us continue.

I personally find M. Dragonfly & K. Angylus underrated musicians. I know The Angelic Process gets quite a bit of love from those that know 'em, but honestly, the sound that TAP produces... worthy of a lot more praise imo.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.07.2009 - 23:10
Stigmatized
Written by Lucas on 21.07.2009 at 02:50

While we sort out what sort of bug caused this weird display of events, let us continue.

I personally find M. Dragonfly & K. Angylus underrated musicians. I know The Angelic Process gets quite a bit of love from those that know 'em, but honestly, the sound that TAP produces... worthy of a lot more praise imo.

The sound produced by TAP is astonishing to say the least, and will probably never be appreciated as much as it should. I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one.
07.10.2009 - 03:56
ToMegaTherion
Two names really come to mind in this case
Ihashn - The former emperor frontman as well as Peccatum and of course his own solo project along with the numerous side projects. This guys is in no uncertain terms musical genius (not just in BM circles). He is a musical revolutionary writing unorthodix compositions that work very, very well. Anyone who doubts me should listen to the song "The Pain is Still Mine" on his solo album "The Adversary". This guy really can play guiatr/piano and sing as well, and he dose them all incredibly well.

The next name that rings a bell in my mind.
Hellhammer - This guys has done so many projects over the last ten years it is scary with Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir and Arcturs being his main three. He is another one of those individuals that I would consider musical revolutionarys. Unothodox rhythems as well as being a very fine drummer he has a great ear for music and sonic illusion. One great example is "Nightmare Heaven" on the Arcturus album "The Sham Mirrors".
26.10.2009 - 03:44
Kratos
ICS Vortex, great bassist and fucking awesome voice and way underrated.
05.11.2009 - 21:29
cold103
My picks are:

Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)
Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)