Metal Storm logo
Most Under Appreciated Metal Musician

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 25.03.2008 - 09:27
Metal has had its share of virtuoso musicians that have moved from band to band to band. In some rare cases said musician has rejoined the band that rejected them in the first place. in your opinion, who is the most under appreciated/ abused musician in metal today?
05.11.2009 - 22:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by cold103 on 05.11.2009 at 21:29

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)

Under appreciated? I would even dare to say he is actually overrated.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.11.2009 - 22:59
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

My picks are:

Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)
Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)

I agree with Marcel. I think Arjen is a bit overrated, although I *do* enjoy most of his work. Also, Daniel Gildenlow is a master musician, but I's say that he isn't under appreciated at all. Anyone who appreciates prog usually seems to respect him and his work.
19.11.2009 - 02:03
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
!T.O.O.H.!'s Petr Svoboda. his bass work on Order and Punishment is fucking LEGENDARY.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.11.2009 - 03:02
Konrad
Mormon Storm
The guy I'm thinking of is SO underrated that I don't even know his name, or what band he's in.
----
Brujerizmo!
19.11.2009 - 05:47
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Konrad on 19.11.2009 at 03:02

The guy I'm thinking of is SO underrated that I don't even know his name, or what band he's in.

14.01.2010 - 16:40
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.11.2009 at 22:28

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)

I completely agree! How is Arjen under appreciated? I like Ayreon, I do. But his work is actually most of the times overrated.
----
14.01.2010 - 17:37
prk
Lanvall from edenbridge. imo he's the only person in any woman singer gothic/power band that does anything interesting, ever.
----
well that's just like... your opinion, man...
17.01.2010 - 14:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by prk on 14.01.2010 at 17:37

Lanvall from edenbridge. imo he's the only person in any woman singer gothic/power band that does anything interesting, ever.

can i quote your signature? of course i'm talking about Tuomas Holopainen from Nightwish, i don't listen to them anymore because i find them too cheesy, but that guy fucking knows his stuff.

anyway, when talking about stuff that happens outside of Germany(because in Germany he is actually almost overrated lol), my pick is Rolf Kasparek from Running Wild. to write such badass riffs(some of them are fucking tricky to play too like Port Royal), and sing some of the most glorious epic lyrics ever written, that guy is a fucking legend in my eyes. a terrible shame RW disbanded
18.05.2010 - 21:52
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Coming back to this thread after awhile:

I've come to realize that Uli Jon Roth (Scorpions, Electric Sun) and Alex Skolnick (Testament, Savatage, Alex Skolnick Trio, Trans-Siberian Orchestra) are probably a couple of the most under appreciated guitarists I can think of at the moment. They seem to understand guitar more than many "virtuosos" could even dream of.
19.05.2010 - 03:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I just think Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, Jesu, Grey Machine, etc.) knows what the fuck he's doing...a more "sludgy" Trent Reznor.
----
rekt
19.05.2010 - 03:44
Got Mayhem?
I'm tempted to say Luc Lemay here. Seriously, whenever people bring up the topic of "Great Metal Guitarists" how often does Mr. Lemay come up? Not often enough... This guy is not only very musically educated but does things to the guitar that most DM'ers these days can only dream of.
----
19.05.2010 - 03:47
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 19.05.2010 at 03:29

I just think Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, Jesu, Grey Machine, etc.) knows what the fuck he's doing...a more "sludgy" Trent Reznor.

Very true, most people will have no idea who you are talking about.
19.05.2010 - 04:46
susanta
Not a metal musician though but shaun morgan(seether) is a under appreciated musician.....
----
I am just a spectator
19.05.2010 - 21:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Introspekrieg on 19.05.2010 at 03:47

Thanks for the JK Broadrick plug Intro!

It amazes me that after 20+ years of making music, as the years go by, the music he releases feels fresh & new.
----
rekt
19.05.2010 - 23:58
Kennoth
Written by Irritable Ted on 14.01.2010 at 16:35

Tuomas Holopainen, genius, overshadowed by the whole Annette/Tarja debate.

Absolutely agree
----
*insert something deep and profound*
19.05.2010 - 23:58
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
The most under appreciated musician would surely be someone i didn't hear of yet

but, among the ones i do know, ex-Vital Remains "Dave Suzuki" is.. the guy is one of the world's fastest drummers, and he's a fucking amazing lead guitarist, and he can scream like fuck too !!
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
21.05.2010 - 16:42
Got Mayhem?
^ Dave is a good one. Very talented at both guitar and drums.
----
29.05.2010 - 21:35
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I think Vorphlak just gets better with time. Samael has come a loooong way from the sounds started from. Granted, he's not the fastest drummer in the world or a sick ass lead guitarist necessarily but his ability to build the music is awsome!

I also think that Adrian Smith from Maiden should get more praise (I will think that forever though).
----
29.05.2010 - 21:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 14.01.2010 at 16:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.11.2009 at 22:28

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)

I completely agree! How is Arjen under appreciated? I like Ayreon, I do. But his work is actually most of the times overrated.

Keep in mind that user is from the US, that name isn't really big over here...well, in the grand scheme of things.

...Yes, he is overrated. Ayreon is about as fluffy un-metal as you can get.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.05.2010 - 13:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'd say... Erilyne of Raggradarh.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.06.2010 - 10:42
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by tea[m]ster on 19.05.2010 at 21:50

Written by Introspekrieg on 19.05.2010 at 03:47

Thanks for the JK Broadrick plug Intro!

It amazes me that after 20+ years of making music, as the years go by, the music he releases feels fresh & new.

Agreed, Justin Broadrick surely an underrated mastermind. Also I think Miika Tenkula (R.I.P.) the guitarist of Sentenced doesn't quite get enough praise perhaps.
11.07.2011 - 17:15
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

My picks are:

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)

Gildenlow no, Lucassen yes. POS bores me a bit, but Arjen is genius. And by that I mean that he aims targets that not only cannot be hit by others, but he hits targets that others don't even know exist.
11.07.2011 - 18:03
rekkuza-
Written by Irritable Ted on 14.01.2010 at 16:35

Tuomas Holopainen, genius, overshadowed by the whole Annette/Tarja debate.

I agree as well. It is pathetic, really. Vocals can only do so much in music...
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
11.07.2011 - 18:44
diaminder
Written by Guest on 11.07.2011 at 17:15

My picks are:

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon)

Gildenlow no, Lucassen yes. POS bores me a bit, but Arjen is genius. And by that I mean that he aims targets that not only cannot be hit by others, but he hits targets that others don't even know exist.

Don't agree, I think both are equally appreciated, but of course every man to his taste

I guess musicians playing with the well-known musical persons (such as Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Madonna etc.) or members of the bands who have one or two strongly pronounced creative leaders, musicians who stays through the long years in the shaddows of their frontmen and frontwomen deserve to be basic part of this discussion.
11.07.2011 - 19:17
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Kratos on 26.10.2009 at 03:44

ICS Vortex, great bassist and fucking awesome voice and way underrated.

I do agree, Vortex is to some extent quite underrated. He has his fanbase, but in Dimmu Borgir he was overshadowed by the other pricks, I mean, guys, and that's the act most people know him (since DB managed to become such lovely MTV youth BM band). He's one of my top 5 vocalists and the only reason I enjoyed seeing DB live (they are one of the worst live metal acts I have ever seen) is when his part kicked in. Gosh, listening to Borknagar's Ocean's Rise or Arcturus's Hibernation Sickness Complete gives me the shivers.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
17.09.2011 - 23:46
moe5512
Petri Lindroos, He does a good job in Ensiferum but people keeps pushing him down because of Jari...
18.09.2011 - 00:20
Misfit74
Wacław "Vogg" Kiełtyka - Guitar, Decapitated
Mike Sifringer - Guitar, Destruction
18.09.2011 - 00:57
Void Eater
Account deleted
Fred Durst lololololol.

But seriously now people, Phil Fasciana of Malevolent Creation and Jontho of Ragnarok. Phil has been the only member of Malevolent Creation to fearue on all of their albums, and continues to pump out great riffs, while Jontho is the only original member of Ragnarok left and an underrated drummer.
21.09.2011 - 20:15
arwestromen
Ian Hill maby? He and KK started Judas priest but somehow he hasn't really got the attention like KK, Glen and Rob
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
04.10.2011 - 09:57
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 18.09.2011 at 00:57

Fred Durst lololololol.

Close. Maybe Wes Borland.
Fred Durst apreciates himself enough so we don't have to.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"