Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
04.08.2010 - 19:26
vezzy
Stallmanite
Yeah, sadly the whole "To each his own" argument stretched out to a micro-essay to make it look better doesn't quite pack a punch these days. =|
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.08.2010 - 00:54
RavenKing
Written by Daniell on 04.08.2010 at 16:33

There is no need to reconcile our different opinions - it's a wonderful thing that we don't agree on what's good/bad about Maiden, it says a lot about how good their music is. Also because we partially agree. I also think that the best Iron Maiden albums were released in the 80's. The last great one being "Seventh Son of A Seventh Son". The next very good album is "Brave New World", followed by substantially weaker "Dance of Death" (but even there there were great songs: "Montsegur", "Paschendale", "Dance of Death"). Everythign between SSoaSS and BNW is more or less crap, but even there one can find brilliant songs like "Sign of the Cross" or Fear of the Dark".
Their last so far, "A Matter of Life and Death" is a completely new enterprise in Maiden's career. Their music became much darker and progressive, and also hevier - "Brigther Than a Thousand Suns" has the heaviest riff in the history of the band. Songs like "Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" or "The Legacy" are VERY untypical for Maiden, as are like 70% songs on this album. On this album Iron Maiden took a new path, clearly wanting to expand their musical horizons. Good for them, because "A Matter of Life and Death" is their best since "Seventh Son..."

"The Final Frontier" will make many Maiden fans cringe, cry and wriggle in disgust. The first 4 songs, "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier", "El Dorado", "Mother of Mercy" and "Coming Home" are reportedly unlike their old songs - judging by people's reactions to the first two of those, I tend to suspect this to be true. The review I read in a Polish rock magazine today tells me that the second half of the album is more typical Iron Maiden.

I'd divide Iron Maiden fans into a few categories. The first category is people who only want the 80's songs, and nothing will convince them that Maiden's later stuff is also worthy of interest. You fall into that category and you have every right to do so. After all it's up to us what we like or not, and no one can tell us otherwise. To each his own The second category, which I'd humbly like to count myself in, remains open and friendly toward the band's more recent work and sees that although different, it's still good music. Let Maiden develop please, don't expect them to give you "Hallowed Be Thy Name" with every release...

Quote:
I'm used to clash with young people when it comes to Iron Maiden

Err, I'm THIRTY SEVEN, so unless you're 77, I don't quite get your point

I think I understand your point of view now. You see differences between their stuff but it doesn't bother you. And you admit that some of the stuff is weak, unlike the fanboys who believe everything this band release is pure gold. I respect this state of mind. Of course, I don't have the same feeling about some Maiden material but it doesn't matter. I'm the kind of fan (or ex-fan, I would say) you describe. For me, the 80s stuff is great but no living person on earth will ever convince me that their material after SSOASS is good. For me, it sucks and will always suck.

About age: it was a general observation not targeted at you specifically. I had no idea how old you were. We're the same age.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
05.08.2010 - 22:27
Storchillarn
I don't think there are too many Maiden newbies skulking these forums so this debate is quite pointless. It's a fact that their best stuff was made in the 80's, Seventh Son being their peak, and as daniell_p pointed out, their new stuff is indeed very different and might attract a different crowd who like them for that specific sound. I think it would be disastrous if they'd try to 'pull a Metallica' and release an album where they try to mimic their old stuff in so many ways it's almost parodical. I am, however, utterly disappointed with the 2 new songs.. but 2 songs don't make an album. Let's hope they're the 'Out of the Shadows' and 'The Pilgrim' of the album. ^^
06.08.2010 - 19:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Storchillarn on 05.08.2010 at 22:27

I don't think there are too many Maiden newbies skulking these forums so this debate is quite pointless. It's a fact that their best stuff was made in the 80's, Seventh Son being their peak,

Views on what can be considered their peak differ immensely. For some it's Sevtnh SOn for others Powerslave yet oother think it's The Number and I am of the clan that considers Killers their peak.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.08.2010 - 21:48
Elio
Red Nightmare
I consider their peak the debut itself, and I'm quite young. Lost interest in them from Dance of Death though, I probably won't even bother checking the new album.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.08.2010 - 10:38
Storchillarn
Peak or not, it was after 'Seventh Son' they started their decline musicwise, that's hard to deny for one who likes almost their entire discography. Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing some of their newer stuff live today, Dance of Death (the song) in particular.
12.08.2010 - 12:15
arwestromen
By peaking do you guys mean in songwriting or popularity? because I think they peaked during the somewhere back in time tour
I saw them last saturday and I liked what I saw...I always wanted to see a setlist with only material from the 00´s
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
12.08.2010 - 14:15
RavenKing
Written by arwestromen on 12.08.2010 at 12:15

By peaking do you guys mean in songwriting or popularity?

Songwriting.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
12.08.2010 - 16:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I think Maiden have always been popular. At least in the UK. Their debut reached #4 over here. "Powerslave" was the album that really made them huge in the US. I think the only point after they hit the big time that their popularity dropped was during the Blaze era. Ive seen Maiden 5 times, and the only time Ive seen them play a hall instead of an arena, was when Blaze was in the band. Right now, Maiden are probably as popular as they've ever been. Although maybe not in the US.

As for songwriting, at least in terms of consistency anyways, their peak was the 80's. In the period between 1980-1990 they released 5 albums that I consider to be flawless as they have no filler whatsoever. And the others had hardly any either. Post 1990 the only album I could say that about is "Brave New World". I do think even most fans like me who can appreciate their whole discography would concede that the 80's was when Maiden were at their finest.
17.08.2010 - 13:43
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath

srsly, wtf ?
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
17.08.2010 - 13:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 17.08.2010 at 13:43

srsly, wtf ?

Late for the party, bud.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.08.2010 - 14:23
Angel Of Mercy
Just listening to the new album... It's really good but a strange lack of the famous harmonies that the band are known for.
----
Your time will come.
17.08.2010 - 22:29
Storchillarn
I don't like it. I know it's not going to grow on me like parts of A Matter of Life & Death did (the rest of it being instantly good) because there's basically nothing cool going on in the songs and the vocal melodies are really boring. Sounds like what I imagine a rehearsal of theirs might sound like, they just fool around with a couple of riffs, melodies and such. It doesn't sound like a polished and perfected album! I guess what I'm trying to say is it sounds like it could've been a good one if they replaced half of the album with something more memorable, and Bruce was 10 years younger.
23.08.2010 - 16:19
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Hey, yeah... um... I think I found the inspiration for the last track on the new album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV-of_eN2w

Seriously, I was listening to the album for the first time with a friend and when The Wild Wind Blows came on, we both were like, "Wow, this sounds like a Disney song." :O
23.08.2010 - 17:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Storchillarn on 17.08.2010 at 22:29

I don't like it. I know it's not going to grow on me like parts of A Matter of Life & Death did (the rest of it being instantly good) because there's basically nothing cool going on in the songs and the vocal melodies are really boring. Sounds like what I imagine a rehearsal of theirs might sound like, they just fool around with a couple of riffs, melodies and such. It doesn't sound like a polished and perfected album! I guess what I'm trying to say is it sounds like it could've been a good one if they replaced half of the album with something more memorable, and Bruce was 10 years younger.

Totally agreed about A Matter Of Life And Death. It did take a while for some of the songs on that to grow on me, but that was mainly because of their length, rather than the quality of the songs themselves. Overall, AMOLAD is a far better album than The Final Frontier, imo.
26.08.2010 - 13:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Listened to the new album, and I have no intention of doing that again.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.08.2010 - 17:56
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by K✞ulu on 26.08.2010 at 13:40

haha... same. It felt like dragging and dragging while there's an endless list of better things to listen to, including their own classics.

Love you new avatar btw
----
loves 小巫
26.08.2010 - 22:03
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Quote:
Written by Ag Fox on 26.08.2010 at 17:56

haha... same. It felt like dragging and dragging while there's an endless list of better things to listen to, including their own classics.

Yeah, it actually inspired me to listen to stuff off of their previous three albums... and X-Factor stuff too. No joke! :O I stopped the album... and put in Brave New World. XD
26.08.2010 - 22:08
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Love you new avatar btw

Thanks! It felt like it was time to change the old one, which had been on forever.

First impressions might often be misleading, but I just don't want to listen to it another time (especially when I recall the length of the album...)
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.08.2010 - 01:27
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Quote:
Written by K✞ulu on 26.08.2010 at 22:08

Love you new avatar btw

Thanks! It felt like it was time to change the old one, which had been on forever.

First impressions might often be misleading, but I just don't want to listen to it another time (especially when I recall the length of the album...)
I quite like the old one too, though I have no idea what it meant. But Grin sure is great
I know what you mean about first impressions, but I felt exactly the same way. I just want to enjoy my music, not like doing homework or something XD

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.08.2010 at 22:03

Yeah, it actually inspired me to listen to stuff off of their previous three albums... and X-Factor stuff too. No joke! :O I stopped the album... and put in Brave New World. XD

I started playing the track "For The Greater Good Of God" instead. Don't know why but I just like it
----
loves 小巫
27.08.2010 - 12:03
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Ag Fox on 27.08.2010 at 01:27

I started playing the track "For The Greater Good Of God" instead. Don't know why but I just like it

Definitely the best track in AMOLAD, dark progressive song, quite unlike typical Maiden.
27.08.2010 - 21:35
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Daniell on 27.08.2010 at 12:03

Definitely the best track in AMOLAD, dark progressive song, quite unlike typical Maiden.

Yeah, the last three tracks are only ones I really listen to off that album... when I'm in the mood. Lord of Light kinda packs that punch I feel the rest of the album lacks, and the Legacy is EPIC.
28.08.2010 - 22:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.08.2010 at 16:13

I do think even most fans like me who can appreciate their whole discography would concede that the 80's was when Maiden were at their finest.

yup, i do appreciate most of their discography and the only albums that to me are uninteresting are the 90s albums(but only them as a whole, because individual songs like Fear Of The Dark obviously or Sign Of The Cross and The Clansman are still great)

from BNW onwards i'd say they have kept the same moderately high standard of quality throughout their albums throughout the 2000's.. which is still shit compared to pretty much any of their 80s albums, including the not-so-obvious-favorites like Piece of Mind or Somewhere In Time.
30.09.2010 - 11:57
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well Maiden's greatest album is Seventh Son according to me...but one is greatest and then there can be number of "also great" albums - and this covers most of their disco according to me...only a very few real letdowns for me...oh, and oddly enough - i dont like their very beginings too much...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.12.2010 - 13:19
Aristarchos
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.08.2010 at 21:35

Written by Daniell on 27.08.2010 at 12:03

Yeah, the last three tracks are only ones I really listen to off that album... when I'm in the mood. Lord of Light kinda packs that punch I feel the rest of the album lacks, and the Legacy is EPIC.

Strange, I find these three tracks the least good of that album; even if they have some great parts I find them too long and not interesting all the way. To me "Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" has really grown, and I find it to be maybe the best song on that album, even if I love all the first 7 songs. I really love AMALAD, and put it as their fourth best after SSOASS, BNW and TNOTB.
01.05.2011 - 14:07
FinnishSammich
I don't get why everyone thinks they're so great. I think they're mediocre and I hate the singer's voice. Unfortunately, I'm in the same class with bunch of Iron Maiden fanboys what has made me to hate that band.
10.05.2011 - 02:35
mortjoyeux
Haha. They're great because they ARE great for what genre they represent. They are the core and one of the main influences in the NWOBHM scene.
They are the esscence of heavy metal, just like Angel Witch, Tank and like Saxon. Sure they're overrated but that's no reason to hate something.
What does that show if you hate something because everyone loves them so much? You sure are a rebel! OI OI OI.

Calling Iron Maiden mediocre is blasphemy, and to hate Bruce's voice is hilarious.
To each their own of course, but I think your rating of them is flawed to the fucking max.
ALL IMA SAY.
10.05.2011 - 03:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Meh. All depends on what era you're talking about. Their new stuff is so unbelievably boring - mediocre would be a compliment. It's a band surviving entirely off it's name now.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.05.2011 - 05:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Okay.. so lets just put this straight. No Iron Maiden is not releasing anything good since a long time... true.

but seriously you can't say a band ain't good based on its last few releases... I mean comon
All the 9 first albums are classics.. Lol the reason why everyone thinks they're great is because of that and bc they still play the old classics
in shows. -_- Iron Maiden's great, they're just old, thats the thing... Inspiration is going away slowly.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.05.2011 - 18:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guib on 10.05.2011 at 05:12

All the 9 first albums are classics..

The first 7 No Prayer For The Dying and Fear Of The Dark aren't classics by any stretch of the imagination.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996