‹‹ Back to the Melodic metal forum Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29
Users visited: 510  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by GT on 25.03.2008 at 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here

Page 27 of 29

Iamawalker

01.12.2012 at 04:20
Written by JÄY on 30.11.2012 at 22:31

Differing opinions..... I'm a huge fan of the first 7 but the new ones, while good albums, are just lacking power and its very common for songs to go on too long. Bruce's vocals also dont sound great to me... not bad ...just without the power of when he was young (no surprise). I would really like to see them lose the prog thing theyre trying to pull off and stick to what theyre good at - catchy and straight forward

I realize it's a matter of taste. No disrespect, apologies if it was percieved as such.

I just feel a lot of fans are too hung up on what or how a band should sound like, if you know what I mean (not talking about you though or anyone else in particular). I feel the same way about the last Priest offering "Nostradamus". Underrated as heck in my opinion, overlooked, etc, maybe because people want the good old Priest singing about metal, partying, motorcycles from hell and whatnot. I also realize this may not be true, but I do believe that preconcieved notions and expectations can really twist your mind a bit if you recieve something out of the ordinary. Good as it may be, the quality passes by somewhat unnoticed simply because it doesn't gel well with what the person had in mind beforehand of how this was going to be or sound like (though I realize it may not be the best argument in this case, nor the proper place for it either?).

If we think about it, Maiden has always done these long progressive tunes, it's just that lately they've been doing more of them. Bruce, wether we like the sound of his voice or not, is still technically very good I'd say. The range, power, emotion, control, his trademarks... It's all there in abundance. I actually think he has more power these days when compared to the 80's, especially in a live-setting. His vocals are fuller and wider than before. Yes, he may never be perfectly able to hit the highest of the highest notes in "Number Of The Beast" or "Aces High" again in the very same manner as he once did on the studio recordings (back in those days, he didn't pull them off the same way live either).

One of the things I completely understand whenever I see negative comments about recent Maiden is their choice of production. Now, I don't mind it one bit as I quite enjoy that less-than-perfect old-shool feeling they've got going in the sound department but it's not hard to see that this may put a lot of people off.
Jaeryd17‍
Desert Mouse

20.01.2013 at 01:45
I like Iron Maiden, but I've been dying to ask this question:

Am I the ONLY one who can hear how horribly off-key Bruce Dickinson is in this song?

----
"It is not your sin—it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!

Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated?"

Chriwalker

22.01.2013 at 14:26
Written by Iamawalker on 01.12.2012 at 04:20

Written by JÄY on 30.11.2012 at 22:31

Differing opinions..... I'm a huge fan of the first 7 but the new ones, while good albums, are just lacking power and its very common for songs to go on too long. Bruce's vocals also dont sound great to me... not bad ...just without the power of when he was young (no surprise). I would really like to see them lose the prog thing theyre trying to pull off and stick to what theyre good at - catchy and straight forward

I realize it's a matter of taste. No disrespect, apologies if it was percieved as such.

I just feel a lot of fans are too hung up on what or how a band should sound like, if you know what I mean (not talking about you though or anyone else in particular). I feel the same way about the last Priest offering "Nostradamus". Underrated as heck in my opinion, overlooked, etc, maybe because people want the good old Priest singing about metal, partying, motorcycles from hell and whatnot. I also realize this may not be true, but I do believe that preconcieved notions and expectations can really twist your mind a bit if you recieve something out of the ordinary. Good as it may be, the quality passes by somewhat unnoticed simply because it doesn't gel well with what the person had in mind beforehand of how this was going to be or sound like (though I realize it may not be the best argument in this case, nor the proper place for it either?).

If we think about it, Maiden has always done these long progressive tunes, it's just that lately they've been doing more of them. Bruce, wether we like the sound of his voice or not, is still technically very good I'd say. The range, power, emotion, control, his trademarks... It's all there in abundance. I actually think he has more power these days when compared to the 80's, especially in a live-setting. His vocals are fuller and wider than before. Yes, he may never be perfectly able to hit the highest of the highest notes in "Number Of The Beast" or "Aces High" again in the very same manner as he once did on the studio recordings (back in those days, he didn't pull them off the same way live either).

One of the things I completely understand whenever I see negative comments about recent Maiden is their choice of production. Now, I don't mind it one bit as I quite enjoy that less-than-perfect old-shool feeling they've got going in the sound department but it's not hard to see that this may put a lot of people off.

(I'm not trying to argue just to argue, just interested in hearing different perspectives. Sometimes, you know, I'm a little over-cautious when discussing with others as I generally think people have thinner skin than they do, plus I don't wanna be looked upon as an a-hole who thinks he's right and those who don't agree are wrong. )

I do agree with you! As much as I like the old records I really love the new ones as well. But I really think people are too hung up on how they did sound and still wants them to stay that way, the problem is that if they had stayed in the 80's people would have complained about how they never change. Its the same for alot of bands out there and I can't make anyone change their mind about it, but remember that it will never be the fans who decides what their should sound like. Hate or love the albums, the band decides what they do and what style they will play. Imo the new Maiden is just as good as the old Maiden and that will stay soo
----
Music is Art
In the world of Epica, there is a Black Halo in the Ghost Opera where Poetry for the Poisoned is written, The Silverthorn of the rose is The Fourth Legacy!
Iamawalker

22.01.2013 at 16:49
Written by Chriwalker on 22.01.2013 at 14:26

I do agree with you! As much as I like the old records I really love the new ones as well. But I really think people are too hung up on how they did sound and still wants them to stay that way, the problem is that if they had stayed in the 80's people would have complained about how they never change. Its the same for alot of bands out there and I can't make anyone change their mind about it, but remember that it will never be the fans who decides what their should sound like. Hate or love the albums, the band decides what they do and what style they will play. Imo the new Maiden is just as good as the old Maiden and that will stay soo

Right on, brother!

Yes it must be frustrating for bands every once in awhile, whenever fans claim they have sold out or are no longer similar-sounding to how they were in their classic heydays, or claiming they're just churning out the same suff all the time and not experimenting enough or broadening their musical horizons. I think you really nailed it there. Whatever a band does, they won't be able to please all of their fanbase. If they're lucky, the majority will be left walking away with satisfaction and even that scenario is not automatically a given either. It's really a whole different issue alltogether, wether or not the recent material of a band is downright bad music or not. This should in theory have nothing to with consistency in style or experimentation beyond their tried-and-true formula. Although we all (I presume) let this affect one way or the other, we should try getting rid of these expectations of how a band should sound. The day a band let their fans dictate the terms of their musical destiny is the day the band sell themselves to the music-machinery instead of keeping "in-spirit" with their love and passion for the music. However, I think you basically said it there in your post, and we seem to agree on all fronts.
Req

27.01.2013 at 03:53
I basically registered to post in this topic.

I have seen so much bs written about Iron Maiden's latest releases that, for a time, I lost my faith on the current fanbase of the band. Going to a Maiden gig proved me wrong though, I realised that still the majority of the fans are enjoying Maiden's releases it's just they are just not that vocal. So it is nice to see people who can appreciate their very early stuff AND their latest work at the same time.

The thing is, Maiden is one of those bands, a band that can change greatly, yet still retain that "thing" that makes them "them". Their first two albums with Di'anno, I can't get enough of them. That slight punkish attitude under the heavy metal flag they were doing was unique still in this time. That simple, raw and aggresive sound was incredible and I loved that. After that, with Bruce's arrival, they changed and became the Maiden that we all know and I loved that too. Now, they are slightly progressive or whatever, I love this too. I mean, I can fucking listen to Prowler then change to 2 Minutes to Midnight then finish with Coming Home and I can call it a day with great satisfaction. This variety with that same familiarity is the thing I most adore.

Anyway that's my two cents. I feel good when I think that, whatever happens, they are out there performing.
Mattybu
crusty juggler

30.01.2013 at 00:24
Written by Req on 27.01.2013 at 03:53

I have seen so much bs written about Iron Maiden's latest releases

yeah opinions are so BS
----
"Marcel saw 1th Ron Jeremey movie when it was out on VHS" -K7
Guib

24.02.2013 at 05:24
Written by Mattybu on 30.01.2013 at 00:24

yeah opinions are so BS

How many times do we have to say it right ? I loved the sarcasm in this but you know man, some people will never accept other's opinions
on visual or musical arts... Some will always think they are better and what they think is ''THE'' way to think. Poor things really.
----
- I love my technical, melodic, my thrash, agressive and fast paced, my sludge, well thought, my heavy, heavier and my metal, ever-growing -
Mattybu
crusty juggler

24.02.2013 at 10:12
Written by Guib on 24.02.2013 at 05:24

yeah opinions are so BS

How many times do we have to say it right ? I loved the sarcasm in this but you know man, some people will never accept other's opinions
on visual or musical arts... Some will always think they are better and what they think is ''THE'' way to think. Poor things really.

It took me a little while but honestly, nowadays I have pure, unadulterated apathy towards most people's opinions... ain't got time to care about it really lol. you could be listening to Slipknot ft. Drake ft. The Backstreet Boys and honestly I'm ok with that Then again if I know someone to have similar tastes or interesting opinions then I'll hold theirs in a certain higher regard.

I also find if you don't judge other music genres and tastes too much you can actually find some good stuff... I think a lot of metal listeners could benefit from a little bit of branching out, but that's just my opinion xD
----
"Marcel saw 1th Ron Jeremey movie when it was out on VHS" -K7
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

24.02.2013 at 11:31
Written by Mattybu on 24.02.2013 at 10:12

I think a lot of metal listeners could benefit from a little bit of branching out

i second that...

and imo there is nothing worse than narrow minded metalhead...because narrow minded fan of Justin Bieber is not worth attention anyway, but from a metalhead you kinda expect something more
----
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
Become dust in the wake of the hymn
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
No more than a breath on the wind

Bad English
nobody

25.02.2013 at 02:20
Written by Ellrohir on 24.02.2013 at 11:31

I think a lot of metal listeners could benefit from a little bit of branching out

i second that...

and imo there is nothing worse than narrow minded metalhead...because narrow minded fan of Justin Bieber is not worth attention anyway, but from a metalhead you kinda expect something more

hahahahha metalheads who likes maiden is OK, but metalheads who LIKES only maiden are narrow mindet... they cant see that there is good other bands
I like maiden, but I like other genres to
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

25.02.2013 at 11:13
Its not just about Iron Maiden and another metal...its also about metal and other genres...especially metalheads should be able to judge music according to its quality, not by looking to genre labeling...and have some respect towards other ppl opinion and music tastes...but some of them are not...
----

Req

11.03.2013 at 15:51

Written by Guib on 24.02.2013 at 05:24

yeah opinions are so BS

It took me a little while but honestly, nowadays I have pure, unadulterated apathy towards most people's opinions... ain't got time to care about it really lol. you could be listening to Slipknot ft. Drake ft. The Backstreet Boys and honestly I'm ok with that Then again if I know someone to have similar tastes or interesting opinions then I'll hold theirs in a certain higher regard.

I also find if you don't judge other music genres and tastes too much you can actually find some good stuff... I think a lot of metal listeners could benefit from a little bit of branching out, but that's just my opinion xD

Wow I don't remember being misunderstood this hard before. I meant bs as in "bad things, negative things, insulting things". I never intended to say that their opinions are bs but that was a mistake on my part, the phrase was badly written and it suggests just that.

What I meant was, I have read bad things about Maiden's latest releases and I was glad to find people who can enjoy all of their releases at the same time because I was one of them. This doesn't suggest those who find them bad are wrong or stupid or inferior or whatever. Also there was nothing in my post that implied loving Maiden all around is something "right" or "superior" it's wrong to assume that.

Seems like this "opinion" topic is exhausted enough in these boards to trigger some overreaction. Sometimes you should take somebody elses opinions and look at them under the light of ctiricism to spawn some fruitful arguments. There is nothing wrong about that as long as you don't insult them. You can try to support that your way of thinking is a better way of thinking in a mature environment. Although in music this would be unneccesary as liking a kind of gentre or a particular work is rarely an indication of superiority or being moral or more intelligent or whatever.
Abattoir

21.03.2013 at 18:37
Just to inform you, I have added a couple of new dates to their summer European tour. Plus I've added all of the support bands to the events. Check it out!
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

21.03.2013 at 23:21
Voodoo Six? wtf is that?
----

renai

22.03.2013 at 02:40
Read few last pages on this thread.
Still I missed Iron Maiden in their mayhem days. I mean, their later works are too generic.

Only few songs as my 'Best of Beast' after the Fear of the Dark era.
- Man on the Edge
- The Clansman ... the only 'long' song that a real deal
- Futureal
- Virus
- The Wicker Man
- Brave New World
- Wildest Dream
- Rainmaker .... how can this high energetic song missed by the band..
- Different World
- The Final Frontier ... take out the intro
- El Dorado

and that's basically all their first or second tracks in each album

then the second line up that also nice, but very tired to listen for its too long for some
- Sign of the Cross
- Blood on the WOrld's hand
- Ghost of Navigator
- Blood Brother
- Dance of Death
- The Journeyman
- New Frontier
- These Colours
- Brighter than a thousand Sun
- Out of the Shadows
- The Alchemist ... one of oldies sounding song

and all the rest is just too filler... Take a look most of the songs in Virtual IX, actually they are good songs but suffered from too long song arrangement. And see the last song we have When The Wild WInds blows, hey they are not Dream Theater who can 'prog' their way to kill those five minutes solos. WTHWWB is a good song yet same situation there.

I apologized this maybe too provocative, but I just miss them...miss them. I mean they are not like Deep Purple who just a different persons writing new song under the band name. IM is the same f*)*+ guys from 20 years ago. They are one of richest heavy metal band in history, they should no worry about their income and do something more solid for the fans.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

22.03.2013 at 15:06
I am just pretty sure about one think - they dont do new stuff because they are worried about their income...like what Bruce said in their biography - they wanted to do accoustic song, so they fckin did "The Journeyman", regardless they didnt do anything like this in previous 25 years

they just do what they want and say what they want and noone can take it away
----

renai

28.04.2013 at 01:31
Just want to share this blog, it has one of most complete list of Iron Maiden cover and tribute albums, as well an 'individual' song such as Testament' Powerslave, Stryper's The Trooper, Reinxeed's Aces High, Rhapsody of Fire's Flash of the Blade listing out.

If you see the right panel, there is a 'live' statistic about which song is most covered, The Trooper had been on the top for a moment.

http://coveringthebeast.blogspot.com/
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
SuicidalCyco
Jay Boy

28.04.2013 at 03:22
I've liked Iron Maiden for a long time and almost everywhere in the metal community they seem to be put on some kind of pedestal, as being one of the if not the greatest metal band ever. And I had the chance to see them live in the state of Utah which I live in. And they were just okay to be honest, I guess I expected a lot more out of them, but they've been so played out in my mind and they've also released the same album for 20 years. Not that they weren't influential or a good band, its just that they are way too overrated in my opinion.
----
The sun may never set on the British empire, but it never sets on my asshole either.
Lord_Regnier

29.04.2013 at 02:35
Written by SuicidalCyco on 28.04.2013 at 03:22

I've liked Iron Maiden for a long time and almost everywhere in the metal community they seem to be put on some kind of pedestal, as being one of the if not the greatest metal band ever. And I had the chance to see them live in the state of Utah which I live in. And they were just okay to be honest, I guess I expected a lot more out of them, but they've been so played out in my mind and they've also released the same album for 20 years. Not that they weren't influential or a good band, its just that they are way too overrated in my opinion.

I think we kinda feel the same way.

In my mind, their old albums (until SSOASS) are timeless classics and will always be. I almost never listen to Iron Maiden nowadays but I will always consider those albums as great.

However, I think they released nothing worthwhile after SSOASS, so they're extremely overrated nowadays.
Sometimes, I can't help but wonder what this band could have become if they progressed and evolved after SSOASS, instead of taking the downward spiral. They had the potential to become something even greater, Imo. I mean, if they had incorporated other elements or went a bit more extreme or complex.
For me, Iron Maiden after SSOASS is a missed opportunity, a waste of potential. They sounded as if they didn't care at all anymore for their music in the 90s.

They were a great band in the 80s, that I will always give them.
----
"Society failed to tolerate me
And I have failed to tolerate society"
Jtbmetal123

07.05.2013 at 14:29
I can never have enough Iron Maiden!
PeterFranks

10.05.2013 at 11:44
Some of you are a little hard with Maiden.
I don't think a band can have the creativity to release masterpieces like TNOB to SSOASS during 40 years!
For me, Brave New World and Final Frontier are good albums.
Fritillaria
Account deleted
  10.05.2013 at 13:52
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 07.05.2013 at 14:29

I can never have enough Iron Maiden!

This !
Metal|Bleed

22.05.2013 at 01:38
Iron Maiden was my first teenage band, I started listening to metal

with Iron Maiden. Best heavy metal band of all time. I remember the

time when I first buy my Iron Maiden T-shirt, I thought i was king of

the world. Today , everything is easy , you can always order on

the internet. I ordered my latest Iron Maiden T-shirt from

http://www.metal-shop.eu/bands/.
----
Metal T-shirts, Metal accessories, Metal Pants, Metal posters.... For true metal fans only on http://www.metal-shop.eu/bands/
Valentin B
Iconoclast

25.07.2013 at 22:44
I saw Iron Maiden the other night on this new tour of theirs celebrating Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. The show was great, the setlist for me at least was near-perfect (I would have dropped The Prisoner for Hallowed Be Thy Name to close the show), but the biggest surprise was that I had no idea that Dickinson can still sing so well that my hair would stand on my forearm. Especially on Seventh Son, he was pretty much without breath the whole first 6 minutes, singing the guitar melodies, blasting out superb notes that never seemed to end, perfect delivery and theatricality like I've rarely seen. I had forgotten how much I love Maiden, but they reminded me of that last night, and they even played my favorite song of theirs (The Evil That Men Do) the first Maiden song I really heard (on VH1) and the one that made me fall in love with this titanic band. to think I actually thought I might lose this show and not feel bad about it fortunately that did not happen
----
Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil.
Azarath

25.07.2013 at 23:39
As great as the current setlist is, I can't believe they don't play "Infinite Dreams". Instead they pull out "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" which doesn't belong to the time-period (neither does "Fear of the Dark", but apparently they can't not play that one). And I would have liked to hear more from Somewhere in Time.

Minor quibbles aside, overall it was a great show.
DyingWorld

26.07.2013 at 06:53
Written by Azarath on 25.07.2013 at 23:39
And I would have liked to hear more from Somewhere in Time.

This! Somewhere in Time is too good for an album to brush aside. Wasted Years is cool but I'd kill to hear Sea of Madness or just about anything else off that album. Still, I saw the same show last year and it was like a religious experience.
7thSON

09.08.2013 at 17:47
Maiden was my first concert...they put on a great live show and they still sound great. I can't wait for new material.
Bad English
nobody

28.11.2013 at 20:55
IRON MAIDEN Golf Balls Now Available

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-golf-balls-now-available/

what the hack, what next a porno movie?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

29.11.2013 at 00:24
Written by Bad English on 28.11.2013 at 20:55
what the hack, what next a porno movie?

That escalated quickly.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Ancient Dreams

30.11.2013 at 15:25
I found 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers' an odd choice for the set I must confess. Both the time period and the fact it didn't really flow that well either I didn't think. Not sure how true it is, but apparently on the actual SSOASS tour they only played 'Sanctuary' extra and obviously didn't play Afraid or Fear so maybe it was just the songs they thought best to fill the time.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29

Login or register to post here.