Metal Storm logo
Therion

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 04:56
....So, taking into account that I am feeling somewhat un-original right now, I shall start this thread with a description, stolen from Wikipedia.

"Therion is a Swedish symphonic metal band. Its name originates from Greek, where therion means simply beast; the name refers to the beast of the Christian Book of Revelation, however the band's name itself originates from the Celtic Frost album To Mega Therion. Therion was founded by Christofer Johnsson in 1987. Beginning as a death metal band, they later turned to combining orchestral elements with their metal music employing heavy use of choirs and classical musicians.

Therion's music takes its themes from different mythologies and is based on concepts ranging from occultism, magic and ancient traditions and writings. The majority of their lyrics are written by Thomas Karlsson, head and founder of the magical order Dragon Rouge of which Johnsson is a member. The band has seen many changes in line-up and style throughout its history"

This band to me, are absolutley sublime. The elements they combine are not only multifarious, but beautiful in the way they are placed and presented. Lemuria / Sirius B was an instant classic for me, so much more so than the bands previous endevours.

What do you all think of this terrific ensemble?
13.02.2007 - 01:33
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I thoroughly enjoyed Gothic Kabbalah. While it is by no means a masterpiece, the album contains some very catchy stuff. It is definitely not Therion's best work, music wise or lyrically. Lyrically is hard to determine though, seeing as a lot of their lyrics are mythological and/or pagan based. Der Mitternachtslöwe,Gothic Kabbalah,The Perennial Sophia,Wisdom and the Cage, and The Three Treasures were my favorite songs.
13.02.2007 - 15:41
Renessanss
Grand Gardener
GK is vocal oriented... and that is the main reason I place this album above their previous releases... I haven't heard such good vocals for a long time in any band (esp. the male vocals). Although vocals are really a matter of taste, its really hard to find a mix of a good and trained voice in metal lately.
----
14.02.2007 - 12:30
ylside
staff
Therion will be recording a new DVD for their upcoming show in Warsaw. Seems a bit weird, only one year after their other DVD.
14.02.2007 - 20:09
Bitch Boy
Written by ylside on 14.02.2007 at 12:30

Therion will be recording a new DVD for their upcoming show in Warsaw. Seems a bit weird, only one year after their other DVD.

That show is the "Therion goes symphonic" one??
14.02.2007 - 20:30
ylside
staff
I said "upcoming" It mean another one,I think it will be just a regular show promoting Gothic Kabbalah etc.
15.02.2007 - 01:33
Bitch Boy
@ ylside: got it dude, and do you know if the Symphonic is going to be released soon??
15.02.2007 - 02:03
ylside
staff
I'm sorry, no idea! Check www.megatherion.com and see if you find anything about it.
15.02.2007 - 23:07
Bitch Boy
I can't browse Therion's site because it requires a new explorer or something like that thanks anyway dude.
21.02.2007 - 10:20
Princ_Of_Horror
Therion was one of my fav. bands but after hearing this last album (Gothic Kabbalah) i have changed..This must be the worst album of Therion..I thought that this band could not make a bad album,so what is this?
They dont even soud operatic anymore..Out of 15 songs there are maybe 5 good songs..I mean wtf append to them..C.Johnnson has become so stuck up it is not funny and I even heard that he is gay..so with all thath I really changed my thoughts about Therion..
21.02.2007 - 10:54
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Princ_Of_Horror on 21.02.2007 at 10:20

Therion was one of my fav. bands but after hearing this last album (Gothic Kabbalah) i have changed..This must be the worst album of Therion..I thought that this band could not make a bad album,so what is this?
They dont even soud operatic anymore..Out of 15 songs there are maybe 5 good songs..I mean wtf append to them..C.Johnnson has become so stuck up it is not funny and I even heard that he is gay..so with all thath I really changed my thoughts about Therion..

Wait, you're homophobic? Man, you've got a long way to go 'til you mature

Just because he has different lifestyle preferences to what you have, doesn't mean you should be deterred in listening to Therion's music, that is, if what you say IS true. Please give us (the other MS'ers) evidence to prove this, before you go about making judgements about him...
22.02.2007 - 00:25
Bitch Boy
@ Princ_Of_Horror: and you still have Therion TWICE in your favorite bands list??
22.02.2007 - 23:04
I aM YoUr SiN
I haven't heart much from them, but this what i know i think it is really great... in my opinion the best their album is "Gothic Kabbalah" and the song "Gothic Kabbalah" is awesome "
----
My Lord, let me come to you, let me become what my child thinks I am
In you is the beauty of the world, of which death made me an artist
My Lord, let me come to you, let me become what my child thinks I am...
24.02.2007 - 02:17
Oracle
Orcinus
I have heard one song off the new album and i thought it sounded pretty good
24.02.2007 - 06:39
Princ_Of_Horror
Written by Guest on 21.02.2007 at 10:54

Just because he has different lifestyle preferences to what you have, doesn't mean you should be deterred in listening to Therion's music, that is, if what you say IS true. Please give us (the other MS'ers) evidence to prove this, before you go about making judgements about him...

nah,im not homophobic and Im not judging no body..let him do what he wanys..im just saying tht I don't like the last album and thats the reason why I chaned my thoughts abou Therion..not beause i heard tat he is gay..for what I know it could just be propaganda..
24.02.2007 - 06:44
Princ_Of_Horror
Written by Bitch Boy on 22.02.2007 at 00:25

@ Princ_Of_Horror: and you still have Therion TWICE in your favorite bands list??

even twice-woow!!
Im just saying about GK because I like Therion's other albums..
24.02.2007 - 07:04
Bitch Boy
I respect your opinion dude, but anyway, if Johnsson is really gay (something I don't judge), he didn't become gay after making this album.
24.02.2007 - 07:55
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Princ_Of_Horror on 24.02.2007 at 06:39

nah,im not homophobic and Im not judging no body..let him do what he wanys..im just saying tht I don't like the last album and thats the reason why I chaned my thoughts abou Therion..not beause i heard tat he is gay..for what I know it could just be propaganda..

Still, one album shouldn't deter you from liking an band's other works... eg. I like Megadeth, despite hating their album "Risk"...

"Gothic Kabbalah" only had three good tracks in my opinion... although that doesn't deter me from liking their other works more, of course it's no "Deggial" or Secret Of The Runes":p
24.02.2007 - 10:52
Princ_Of_Horror
Written by Guest on 24.02.2007 at 07:55

Written by Princ_Of_Horror on 24.02.2007 at 06:39

Still, one album shouldn't deter you from liking an band's other works... eg. I like Megadeth, despite hating their album "Risk"...

"Gothic Kabbalah" only had three good tracks in my opinion... although that doesn't deter me from liking their other works more, of course it's no "Deggial" or Secret Of The Runes":p
[/quote
Yeah..ok..well i ll still listen to them just dont like GK..and like you said it's far from "Deggila" or "Secret Of The Runes"..I've got your point..
25.02.2007 - 08:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Princ_Of_Horror: You obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about...have you even listened to the new album? It's still gothic and operatic! I trusted your word, dude, and went to download the album to listen to it, and you were wrong, wrong, wrong! The album is still heavy, still symphonic, still gothic, still operatic, still brilliant! Still another incredible Therion release! They haven't lost it at all...I guess you aren't able to appreciate the artful occult magnitude that is laced into the heavy metal of this band...go and listen to the album and come back and give us another opinion...

Oh, yeah...being a metalhead isn't about being homophonic and outrightly mentioning it in lue of new information about certian metal characters coming out of the closet and then basing an opinion of said individual in light of new material being released...totally uncool!
25.02.2007 - 08:07
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Im still waiting for the album to come, its on order, ive heard samples of all the songs, sounds decent to me.
25.02.2007 - 08:32
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Dark Cornatus: You will not be dissapointed!
26.02.2007 - 10:56
Damned-In-Black
I really love the new album. I'm not sure why people are trying to compare it with the likes of Deggial, though. Makes little sense, in my opinion. It's something completely different, fresh and interesting, not to mention very good. I doubt they've left behind the more Symphonic/Operatic material permanently. But hey, this album is good enough that I wouldn't complain overly much if they do continue with a similar styling... (nor would I complain with them reverting back to their more traditional stylings, of course).
26.02.2007 - 19:28
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Well, after a few months of listening to the new Therion discs, I'm still ambivalent to it, except for the track "The Perennial Sophia." I don't find it to be a bad release at all, but, for reasons I can't explain yet, the music just feels distant emotionally. Perhaps it's an effect of the vocals here, as I don't care for the female vocals on Gothic Kabbalah. But I think it's deeper than that, as it's rare that female vocals bother me too much. I personally think that it's because the music was written so many years ago and the true inspiration for actually recording and playing the music has been lost in the translation, and in the years gone by. I can feel a bit of emotion in the first track, "Der Mitternachtlowe," but of course, that's one of the newly written tracks, so go figure!

It all just seems so controlled and predictable on this CD. Like I said, though, I don't dislike the albums, I just don't love them either. The production is tight and crisp, and every instrument has its space... but many of the melodies just seem like something Therion has done before. I'm looking forward to newly written material, hopefully sooner than later...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
28.02.2007 - 17:39
Pearle
Account deleted
"Gothic Kabbalah" is cute, nothing strikingly new is even for good. But the thing I really do not understand - how can they be so careless about the content? I thought Johnson would be more prudent in mixing the creeds from absolutely different epochs and countries. It looks like a stupid schoolboy's guide to occultism with graffiti vocabulary incorporated!
01.03.2007 - 02:44
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Just got my hands to Secret of the Runes album just awesome , some of the vocal harmonies are too perfect recently I said that best album is Deggial but now I'm not that sure
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
01.03.2007 - 18:37
Pearle
Account deleted
Secret of the Runes is probably the most operatic. In Deggial there ius a perfect Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" cover. It's a pity there occurred copyright scandal that banned them from making the full version.
01.03.2007 - 20:07
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
To choose the most operatic Therion album, I'm betwwen Deggial and The Secret of The Runes. Each one has its own style imo, so, it's a difficult choice for me
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
02.03.2007 - 00:31
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Deggial has Via Nocturna though, my favourite song

The thing about TSOTR, i find the ending of the album quite weak, the last 3 songs do not compete with the first 3 at all. It is still my 3rd fav album though.

Nothing beats Theli though for me.
02.03.2007 - 05:15
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Yeah, just because of Via Nocturna Deggial would the most symphonic one, how could I forget this masterpiece
Besides, there are other great songs, such as Eternal Return, Ship Of Luna, Emerald Crown, and of course O Fortuna
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
05.03.2007 - 00:05
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Received the new albums 3 days ago, listened over and over again. Well i find it to be another great for Therion, for the first time there is noted filler, i wont deny that, but when the good songs come, you know your in for it.

My biggest complaint is the fact there is 2 cds, i think they should have picked their fav 10 tracks or whatever and put on one album, the second disc is far less interesting because of filler.

I love the new progression though. It seems they are Progressive Metal now, leaving their Symphonic side as only an element, in line with Heavy and Gothic elements too.

My fav songs:
Gothic Kabbalah
The Wand Of Abaris
Der Mitternachtslowe
Tuna 1613