Metal Storm logo
American Rock vs. British Rock

Poll

read the text then vote which country is stronger in Rock music?

British Rock
American Rock
They both suck

Total votes: 22
29.03.2008 - 17:24
Hamird
Lieutenant
During 90's, rock was a war between UK and US
in early 90's was the time for American bands to show themeselves. bands like Nirvana and Guns n' Roses were the best examples for this era. then some bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains followed the way and made the American Rock, mainstream in rock music...
But in the mid-90's the table had turned. this time Enlgish bands started to make some movements... Blur and Oasis were their leaders... and then some bands like Radiohead and Travis started to release albums. Also Kurt Cobain's suicide made American Rock weaker...
This was the summary about some parts of Rock music in 90's.
So my question is that which country's rock you prefer to listen???
Cheers

p.s
if you are not in 90's rock music you can vote about previous decades. like 70's, 80's and even 60's ...
29.03.2008 - 18:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well both us and uk rock have been in a gay state since the advent of grunge, pop-rock and gaydiohead, though there are some good bands still like U2(i'm counting them as british) and Nickelback.. i think i choose UK for having better classic era bands such as ac/dc, thin lizzy, uriah heep, deep purple, zeppelin etc.
29.03.2008 - 19:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Huh hard but generaly more hard rock are in USA how in UK, UK are metal and such crappy brit pop bands
Well Deep Purple, and sucj we count it in metal family , in UK was strong punk rock and Oi music but not hard rock, so in UK hard rock are more common
LA Guns, GnR, and so on
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.03.2008 - 20:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 29.03.2008 at 18:18

well both us and uk rock have been in a gay state since the advent of grunge, pop-rock and gaydiohead, though there are some good bands still like U2(i'm counting them as british) and Nickelback.. i think i choose UK for having better classic era bands such as ac/dc, thin lizzy, uriah heep, deep purple, zeppelin etc.

ac/dc are Australian ;-)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.03.2008 - 21:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.03.2008 at 20:00

ac/dc are Australian ;-)

shit i forgot that anyway you get my point..
30.03.2008 - 07:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Tough choice, the US had some great rock, and still does to some extent, but the UK has my favorite band of all time - Motorhead. But I also hate Radiohead more than any other object or action on the face of this planet. For me I either despise or love whats coming out of there, whereas with the US the only thing I actually hated was the grunge thing and a bit of Nu Metal, and maybe a few other bands, but for the most part the worst thing I find in American rock is boring bands. Overall I think more of my favorite bands are from the US, and england is also responsible for that vomit inducing band known as Duran Duran.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.03.2008 - 07:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

And that bland jock rock band Nickleback Im ashamed to say are actually canadian.
----
- George Carlin
30.03.2008 - 11:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 30.03.2008 at 07:31

And that bland jock rock band Nickleback Im ashamed to say are actually canadian.

well, true they are on the pop side now, but their silver side up and curb albums are quite heavy at times(like the song 'where do i hide')
30.03.2008 - 13:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well snap. If you were talking about old school Rock, this would be tough, but seeing as I'm not a huge fan of either of these, I'll go with US just for Alice in Chains. Even though some could argue they were borderline Metal, but oh well. I also went through my Nirvana phase in 8th grade, and still enjoy them from time to time.
----
The force will be with you, always.
30.03.2008 - 15:33
owl

If you put it as something like "Guns n' Roses vs Oasis", I'll definitely say USA wins. I can't stand Oasis.

But I can't put Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains in the same bag as Guns n Roses. One thing is Rock, another is grunge.

Still I won't vote, for the whole thing is much more complex than I can say in just a couple of minutes. To each country its own good and bad stuff.
----
30.03.2008 - 17:04
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by owl on 30.03.2008 at 15:33

If you put it as something like "Guns n' Roses vs Oasis", I'll definitely say USA wins. I can't stand Oasis.

But I can't put Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains in the same bag as Guns n Roses. One thing is Rock, another is grunge.

Still I won't vote, for the whole thing is much more complex than I can say in just a couple of minutes. To each country its own good and bad stuff.

Um...just to let you know, Grunge is a form of Rock music.
----
(space for rent)
30.03.2008 - 21:36
owl

I agree, but I was being a little more specific, since grunge was such a big scene when it first appeared, trying to make the difference from everything made before.
----
31.03.2008 - 00:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2008 at 11:58

Written by Doc G. on 30.03.2008 at 07:31

well, true they are on the pop side now, but their silver side up and curb albums are quite heavy at times(like the song 'where do i hide')

Im aware, I live unfortunately in the same province (probably no longer than a 3 hour drive) away from where Nickleback comes from, so all the rednecks in my city constantly play Nickleback, so Ive probably heard the entire discography inside and out. Like I said, its all the jocks and rednecks that listen to them here.
----
- George Carlin
31.03.2008 - 09:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@dr rock 'just for' fuckin kicks ass though
31.03.2008 - 10:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Cursed
Yeah, it makes a good soundtrack for getting threatened to have a pool cue broken over your head at a bar by a big chongo in a cowboy hat and a t-shirt thats 3 sizes too small. I just don't like them because they sound exactly the same as about 50 other bands, you know, that 'Theoryofanicklecreed' sound.
----
- George Carlin
31.03.2008 - 10:44
Harmonic
Account deleted

Amen to that. Oasis is fucking horrible. I am hard pressed to think of a more irritating band. (Pearl Jam comes to mind, but they're nowhere near as grating.) Didn't the Gallagher brothers claim at one point that Oasis would be the next Beatles? What a joke.

Britain is automatically disqualified because of Oasis. American rock wins!
31.03.2008 - 11:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 31.03.2008 at 10:44

Amen to that. Oasis is fucking horrible. I am hard pressed to think of a more irritating band. (Pearl Jam comes to mind, but they're nowhere near as grating.) Didn't the Gallagher brothers claim at one point that Oasis would be the next Beatles? What a joke.

Britain is automatically disqualified because of Oasis. American rock wins!

I used to find Oasis tolerable. Until I started working at Petcetera, our store radio goes on a loop of about like 2 hours, so I'd hear 'Wonderwall' literally 5 times a shift. It got to the point where that song actually made me physically ill. So I'll agree, with the combination of Radiohead & Oasis, Britain is disqualified.

By the way, if I were that Gallagher fellow, I wouldn't have said that comment about the Beatles, then its obvious how hard they were trying to knock them off.
----
- George Carlin
31.03.2008 - 17:43
Damnated
Churchburner
the uk had and still has a strong shoegaze scene, but the us is stronger when it comes to post-rock. so it's a hard choice.

still, the uk was the cradle of bands like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, so my vote goes for the uk.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.04.2008 - 05:45
PetSat

I like my rock a little more on the heavy side (and I love grunge) so I went with American but honestly, what a tough choice. British rock is incredible in its own right.
02.04.2008 - 06:05
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
American Rock. UK rok tens to be a bit soft IMO.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.04.2008 - 01:19
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
well i would in first thought go to america, reasons r many, guns n roses, one of most successive band in hard rock industry, then skid row, i always liked this band and Bach..... Ugly Kid Joe one more funny rock band from california thats is big points to us rock, and yeah thrs Grunge and bands from that genre should be rock too,then also offspring was great band in early days thogther whit green day, etc.............

and in brtish rock hmmm let's say deep purple , and yeah who else, oasis is band i liked a lot.. but beside those too in my Cd collection thr nothing really special from brit

so yeah i'll go for USA
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
25.09.2008 - 19:26
Agitatore
Account deleted
After well 5 months, may i disturb the slumberous air here a little bit?

As I am definitely not a native of either country, theories or ideas online or some books serve as the great part of my perception. Please, guys, especially the natives, clarify these for me. Thanx in advance

"A clear difference between USA rock'n'roll and British rock'n'roll was that USA rock'n'roll had a relatively rural (Mid-western and Southern) origin, whereas British rock'n'roll was strongly urban and industrial from the very beginning. London, in particular, was experiencing a rebirth. Just like all other European capitals, the "swinging London" was awash in money and enthusiasm. But, unlike most European capitals, London (and all the other British industrial cities) had a vast reservoir of poor, alienated youth, the price that Britain paid for being the most industrialized country in Europe. "

"In the USA, rock music had been perceived as a revolutionary event, very much related to a generation gap (between the "great" generation and the "hippy" generation) and to an ideological gap (between the Establishment and the underground). In Britain, rock music, while not reneging on those premises, morphed them so that they became popular icons, comparable to the miniskirt and the long hair, icons that could appeal not only to juvenile "delinquents" but also to the bourgeois masses. In other words, rock music in the USA was antagonistic, hostile, conflictual, whereas, in Britain, rock music made peace with society at large."

From Scaruffi, respectively http://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt14.html and http://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt24.html

What are your kind opinions? This topic is one of my many concerns for quite some time and this is the very first time I raise it in MA. Thanks a lot.
25.09.2008 - 20:19
marillionfan
Account deleted
In terms of 90s works, neither American, nor British (I don't like bands such as Travis, Oasis, Blur - I do like Radiohead's work in the 90s, except for the debut which is really weak; never liked grundge that much, except for Pearl Jam's debut, Alice in Chains and some Soundgarden, Guns'n'Roses - Use your illusion albums, I find them boring these days, but then again i listened to them too much back in the 90s). As for the 60s, 70s and 80s, I go for the UK rock. I won't vote just because the question is (initially) about the 90s.
30.09.2008 - 04:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I vote for American Rock...Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, King's X, Aerosmith...those bands helped to form the blueprint for one kickass set of bands to come...
30.09.2008 - 09:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 04:43

I vote for American Rock...Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, King's X, Aerosmith...those bands helped to form the blueprint for one kickass set of bands to come...

Deep Purple are from UK man , and van halen was real only in firts 4 album era, afte rit thay becaime so boring pop band, who think more howget pussy each night how compose song and write some lyrics , totaly dislike this band after I grow old
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2008 - 16:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Bad English: Oops....in my haste I included them in my post...and I only would've been talking about their career in the 70s anyway...
30.09.2008 - 19:58
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 04:43

I vote for American Rock...Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, King's X, Aerosmith...those bands helped to form the blueprint for one kickass set of bands to come...

yet, you have British rock with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, UFO, Thin Lizzy (Irish i know), not to mention the british 70s progressive rock scene, so not taking into consideration the 90s (I've already explained), I enjoy and appreciate British rock more. That does not mean I don't enjoy 60s, 70s and even 80s American rock bands.
30.09.2008 - 20:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@marillionfan: You are right but posters in here were posting more about the hard rock scene and grunge so I thought that I would leave the whole progressive thing out...if it was progressive American rock verses British, I would obviously choose British...Black Sabbath? less rock, more heavy metal...
30.09.2008 - 20:53
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.09.2008 at 20:37

@marillionfan: You are right but posters in here were posting more about the hard rock scene and grunge so I thought that I would leave the whole progressive thing out...if it was progressive American rock verses British, I would obviously choose British...Black Sabbath? less rock, more heavy metal...

you're right; when Black sabbath released their debut album in 1970, the term heavy metal did not even exist, so... for that time their sound was a kind of avantgarde rock, it's correct to say they were ahead of the times.