Metal Storm logo
Over Population

Original post

Posted by Soliloquy, 17.06.2006 - 19:39
is it a problem? or is it a good thing?

if its a problem, how do we fix it?

i personally think that at the rate the world population is going, we would cause our own judgement day before God planned to. i mean, look at countries like China, and India. sure, their economy is going high, but at the same time, the world pollution is going high. sure china put a limit on thier child birth, and they limited a couple to only have 1 child. if they exceed that limit, they would be paying tons of taxes. India on the other hand doesnt have that limit. its population is almost 1 billion(that is 1 sixth of the world population), and its still sky rocketing.

Kenya's population growth rate is at a 4.6(or was it a 4.8?) percent. what that means is that in the next 16 years, their population would double. and then it would take them 12 years to double that. and then 7 years to double that. Kenya's growth rate is by far, the fastest in the world. and has been the fastest in over the 100 years or so?

what does over population mean to the world? well, for one, the more people there are, the more land they take up. for example, 75% of the kenyan population is living on farmlands. if that wasnt bad enough, countries have to get rid of tons and tons of forests to make room for more people to live. since the government cant keep up with such a big population, people start to take matters in their own hand. they start cutting down woods for fire, or thier stove. and if they are hungry, they start hunting, which is bringing the animal population to a down low as well. and if you look at this in an economic point of veiw, if people start living on farmlands, than the country's government would have to increase their imports just to keep up with the population's demands. and what would happen if the government cant handel that demand? you can only imagine.

just imagine what the world would be like when its population doubles to 12 billion?. people would be fighting for the necsesities needed to live. stuff like water, food, shelter, clothing. and if everyone is cramped together, there would be a huge rise in the diseases(if you know your history, look what happend to athens when they build a wall around their city.). people would be living in their own filth.

and if that wasnt bad enough, if people contine to cut down the trees, then the greenhouse gases would contine to fuck our ozone layer, which would mean that the place would get hotter, and hotter still. is that bad? yes! for starters, the ice caps from the north pole, and south pole will melt. who cares? well, north pole, sure its no actual land, but it is just a huge chunk of floating ice that is around 3 miles deep. (wait..was it 3 or 2 miles deep?) and the ice on south pole is about 3 miles deep. you melt those, and you would get a major flood. the only living lands to survive that would be mountian peeks like mount everest, or those rocky pillars in south america. how can the world population live on those tiny islands? well, they cant. first reason being that it would be so close to the sun, that it would be series of heat strokes. on top of that, man cant survive with ocean water. but then again, our ocean water has been polluted. and we have killed about i think 75% of the fish that lived near coastal areas. so really, we cant live.

and if you think that that wont happen, or its impossible to happen....well they say(discovery channel. you gotta love it!) that the jungel as thick as the amazons has been loosing trees every day. people have been clearing about 1 to 1 and a half lenghts of football fields in trees alone. and with the african and indian population sky rocketing, their forests would be chopped down soon.

a cure? a solution? what, put a manditory ban on couples world wide? that wont work becuase a lot of third world countries need more than one child in the family to either work on the famrs, in facotires, or look after diseased family members. and on top of that, those families alose loose tons of kids becuase of diseases. on top of that, even if we were to put that limit on them, it wont work. reason ebing that people just dont listen.

sow hat is the cure to stop this from happening? shut down all the factories? people are money hungry. that wont happen. im sure someone like billgates can buy a country if he pleases. so that wont work

a war? creat a holocaust to sacrifice all the people in the world? humm...that would be WAY to ethical. and that would also cuase a huge riot, and racism would be on the rise becuase people would say 'who to kill?' anarchy would break down on the streets. no, anarchy is not a good thing becuase it would be that everyman is his own government. it just wont work...

so is over population a serious delema that people should worry about? is there soemthing that can be done to stop it? what should happen? your views and opinions
07.12.2006 - 23:41
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Global warming is made by humans there is no doubt. But... I must add that range of earth temperatures was changed through centurys. One correct temperature never exist. There were always changes up and down... sometimes spread of this changes was very wide...
I think population problem is tightly related with global warming but it is rather obvious...
If temperatures will be still raising - supplys of drinkable water (for example) will be drastically decrease. And this is a "perfect" reason for another war. Today this reason has a name - OIL...
08.12.2006 - 17:20
Anthem

With respect to Global warming, the earth has been in a warming process since the last ice age 10,000 years ago. Maybe we should blame past cavemen for leaning
how to make fire. One may say the humans contribute to warming. That would be an honest argument but we cannot say man is solely resposible for all warming.

As for factories, last I read that we are resposible for about 10% of all CFCs. Volcanic activity produces mostly the rest. It again is not to say humans so not interact
with nature because even 10% is a large number.

Reality check here....we are stuck in the world we live. so all one can do is to advance science to help solve some of these overpopulation ideals. but science itself
is producing medicines to keep humans alive longer. At the turn of the 20th century man lived to about 50 or 60. now he lives to nearly 75 or 80. Therin lies
a large problem. Do we euthenize??

For my money the cinic in me says that a nuclear blast within 50 years will solve the overpopulation problem.
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
09.12.2006 - 01:02
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
@Bluescaponne -
Nuclear blast has "one defect": people who survive will have "fun" with irradiated nourishment and water... I don't think that is a good solution...
There should be other ways to stop population growing. Maybe "traditional" war is a better solution? Or "classical" influenza?
I can't agree with You that global warming is not caused by human technology, in twentieth century. This a mainly made by this process of global industrialization! USA is one of the most polluting country in the world! (and China for example)
I think everyone who tells that global warming is natural process not made by (or increased by) humans or industry is a liar and ignorant.
This is very dangerous thinking because our Mother Earth can't stand permanent devastating! It has no future! It is genocide! If we want to live on this planet and share space with trees and wild animals (and other human beings of course ) we should be more responsible and foreseeing...
Hail Mother Earth!
09.12.2006 - 02:21
Soliloquy

true, volcanoes may be a huge part of it...yet volcanoes have been around every since the world was made. wait, they were around even before earth had water on it. at first, all what earth was was just an ever errupting piece of land. sure, the earth cooled down since...but still, it wasnt until the last 100 years when the global tempuratre has been going higher...and higher....and higher....and...well, sky rocketing

i think its a whole lot more than just that lil 10% that we pollute.

humm...this may be a lil off topic, but wont it be interesting to see that if evolution is true, and if humans did indeed evolve from 'lucy'...then wont it be cool to see if 'lucy' broke into two chains of humans, or similar things. like there would be homo sapiens, and then there would be soemthing else, equally, or perhaps of the same intelligence, and same capabilities
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
09.12.2006 - 07:37
Anthem

Ulven

I did not claim a nuclear was a population control option, I ,mearly stated it as my personal feeling of future humans. I have no faith in more that half of mankind
to self preserve.

I also did not claim humans were not part of the warming cause. I claimed that we are only a portion of the cause.You see it is one thing to say that humans
contribute to global warming, it is quite another to claim that humans are the SOLE reason.!!! Please do not call me ignorant, I realize mans
contribution, it is just nieve to attribute the entire warming process since 10,000 years ago to modern man.Youve seen to many Al Gore Videos

Lastly..... "Mother Earth" will outlast our species anyhow. It does not need our help..... We need our help.

Do not mistake my observations for indignance or non caring. I just realize man is what it is and it will take a great sea change mentally to
change western civ and the up and coming eastern aisa.

Soliloquy.... I shall ask you a simple quesion since you seem to be sure. Since there were no records earlier than 100 years ago how can you make your statements
with cetainty?? There were no scientists to verify??
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
09.12.2006 - 11:33
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
@Bluescaponne: I don't want to call You "ignorant"!
When I was writting it I rather think about people who are "commanding" worldwide industry... with no respect for Mother Earth!

"...Since there were no records earlier than 100 years ago how can you make your statements
with cetainty?? There were no scientists to verify??" <-- I can't tell You exactly and precisely (when I remind it - I send PM). I remember now only some research results take from some kind of fossils and research of ice on Arctic or Greenland. Within this samples they found something that "tells"scientists about range of temperatures in the past...

"...Lastly..... "Mother Earth" will outlast our species anyhow. It does not need our help..... We need our help". <--- Indeed! But I like to think that we are connected with our Mother! If we can help eachother then we can be able to help our planet... anyway!
09.12.2006 - 17:51
Soliloquy

/\ that is exactly what i was going to say. we have had droughts, ill Ninos, tornadoes and tons of other stuff that we have proof of. sure they happen once in a while, but if we have evidence of them, we surely have evidence of tempurature incline. we dont even need documented proof. we can just 6 feet below earths surface and we can find whatever happend from 1000's of years to last 200 years.
----

-Zakk Wylde
09.12.2006 - 23:27
Anthem

I remember back in college that sociology courses were teaching that the world would overpopulate and be unable to sustain its food supply. Now years later that
date is being revised. Science is doing wonders to provide the globe with food to feed the people science is keeping alive ie: the eldery and the ill.

that was not a commentary but rather a statement.

This topic covers quite a range of ideas from atmosphere, to war, to science and food tampering and also medicine. Man must battle these on all fronts. Which one do
you think is most important
----

John Galt
10.12.2006 - 00:22
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Many things can be revisioned in future - this is good task for science.

One thing is for me important: we can't destroy our planet because we rather destroy ourselfs earlier! If human race want to live here the longest it can - must choose. But one nation choose - this, another nation - that... Contradictions makes wars... The "luckiest" (even not "strongest") survived...
Do I want to die for somebodys "mistakes" or "ignorancy"?
I don't think so but... some things are "greater" than I.
16.12.2006 - 12:21
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Like some members said, wars(which are a result of conflict, and have been occuring since the beginning of civilization) are almost natural, and they, together with plagues (think of 'black death') and natural disasters (remember the tsunamis that swept in 2005(?))have helped to balance population to some extent.
But if over-population growth rate is not controlled by humans, then it will be controlled by nature! Scarcity of various resources and pollution will certainly balance the population, this is inevitable, and also, evrything must decline one day...
----
that which shines without names and forms...
02.01.2007 - 05:13
Soliloquy

in war, or rather total war, there is no winners and losers. sure, in order for one to be victorious, there has to be a loser. but in total war, there is only the 'survivor'. and being the survivor, chances are that that surviving nation would become a tad bit too arrogant to really do anything. that arrogance, in return would break off into civilwars, and thus, that surviving nation would fall to pieces.

interesting how war works, huh?
----

-Zakk Wylde
11.01.2007 - 22:22
DL-Lauri
Account deleted
Well Finland has the opposite problem, there are too few people. Because of that you would think that Finland would take alot of immigrants to increase the population, but no, there are some stupid rules (like speaking both finnish and swedish to get job) that reduces the amount of immigrants getting to Finland. But also the politcians who decide about it have probably thought about racism (usually done by skinheads around here) which has been a problem especially for somalians.

The over population problem is due because of many people living in a too small area, and on the other hand, some places in the world are getting more and more empty, because the people there are moving somewhere where there are more people.. Some humans should shortly spread out in a wider area. I also like the idea of one couple getting only one child, because due the large of amount of people and their needs, the nature is being used too much all the time, pollution grows and species are dying in the planet for humans food, clothing or other accessories. But I'm pessimistic about all this, because world is already facing too much problems, so I guess there is only to wait till humans over populate the whole world just before it gets entirely destroyed.
12.01.2007 - 22:03
APOHAKC
The Bard
Everyone who have problem with population just extract them here we have big poblem with popuation, people don't want to ake more then one or two child/ren cause they want to live quality life so we have big problem, every year population is drasticaly falling and in 100years we will be under one million if nothing change.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
24.01.2007 - 06:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
i feel im helping contribute to the solving of the overpopulation problem by smoking and drinking alot, and not donating to charitys.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.02.2007 - 06:32
Danny Thomas

Written by Doc G. on 24.01.2007 at 06:52

i feel im helping contribute to the solving of the overpopulation problem by smoking and drinking alot, and not donating to charitys.

well ok, thats a start, but drinking leads to random sex(actually how i was made, thank you budweiser) which makes babies, so if you start spawning illagitamite children do i have permission to hunt you down? : P
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
27.02.2007 - 06:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Danny Thomas on 27.02.2007 at 06:32

well ok, thats a start, but drinking leads to random sex(actually how i was made, thank you budweiser) which makes babies, so if you start spawning illagitamite children do i have permission to hunt you down? : P

absolutely, ill even pay for your plane ticket, and the weapon of your choice.
----
- George Carlin
27.02.2007 - 08:24
Danny Thomas

Written by Doc G. on 27.02.2007 at 06:45

fantastic!! well, being the wannabe american viking that i am, i have always wanted to slay someone with battle axe. also i have been taught several interesting kill techniques by my sensai, perhaps i could try those out. but hey, if i botch it up, and fail to execute properly, i'll take you out for a beer.
----
27.02.2007 - 08:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Danny Thomas on 27.02.2007 at 08:24

fantastic!! well, being the wannabe american viking that i am, i have always wanted to slay someone with battle axe. also i have been taught several interesting kill techniques by my sensai, perhaps i could try those out. but hey, if i botch it up, and fail to execute properly, i'll take you out for a beer.

Deal. Thus continuing the cycle.
----
- George Carlin
27.02.2007 - 08:34
Danny Thomas

Written by Doc G. on 27.02.2007 at 08:26

risking getting hunted down by a moderater for asking unrelated questions on this thread, what did you do to get so many damn restrictions? you must of come out of the computer screen and teabagged some unsuspecting metalstormer to get all the bans you have lol
----
27.02.2007 - 08:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Danny Thomas on 27.02.2007 at 08:34

risking getting hunted down by a moderater for asking unrelated questions on this thread, what did you do to get so many damn restrictions? you must of come out of the computer screen and teabagged some unsuspecting metalstormer to get all the bans you have lol

Well I got banned from voting for rating all the HIM albums 2/10, and as far as that warning goes it was actually a misunderstanding, in my sleaze/glam rock thread me and my bassist/vocalist were talking and then I told him his band sucks out of a joke....I guess it wasnt obvious that were actually in the same band so we got in trouble for that, I explained it to the moderator and he said if he let it slide then all hell would break loose on metalstorm.

Anyways, staying on topic, I'll elaborate on the first post I made on this thread, humanity needs to stop looking for a solution/prevention of every type of fatality that occurs on this planet, yes war and that type of thing is sort of out of hand and shouldnt happen. But im talking about little things like how (in canada at least) they took those merry-go-rounds out of play ground because kids were falling under and killing themselves, yes it is tragic when a child dies but at least he/she died havin a helluva good time. but that is just an example as to fatality prevention getting a little ridiculous.
----
- George Carlin
28.02.2007 - 00:09
Danny Thomas

Written by Doc G. on 27.02.2007 at 08:42

Written by Danny Thomas on 27.02.2007 at 08:34

Well I got banned from voting for rating all the HIM albums 2/10, and as far as that warning goes it was actually a misunderstanding, in my sleaze/glam rock thread me and my bassist/vocalist were talking and then I told him his band sucks out of a joke....I guess it wasnt obvious that were actually in the same band so we got in trouble for that, I explained it to the moderator and he said if he let it slide then all hell would break loose on metalstorm.

Anyways, staying on topic, I'll elaborate on the first post I made on this thread, humanity needs to stop looking for a solution/prevention of every type of fatality that occurs on this planet, yes war and that type of thing is sort of out of hand and shouldnt happen. But im talking about little things like how (in canada at least) they took those merry-go-rounds out of play ground because kids were falling under and killing themselves, yes it is tragic when a child dies but at least he/she died havin a helluva good time. but that is just an example as to fatality prevention getting a little ridiculous.

i agree with you, we spend way to much time trying to prevent every possible incedent. iv'e come to the realization that you can die a million interesting ways, and if you spend all your time doing so, you really aren't enjoying life much. as far as my contribution to this subject, we could limit the amount of children families in any country could have to 3 or less. i know many families that have 6,7 and even 8 kids, that seems rediculous to me, but then again, who am i to say? also, many people are smoking at an alarming rate, which seems to already be regulating the population. maybe they should increase cigarette supporting campaigns lol. oh, i meant to mention it earlier, i would have ratedn the him albums a 2 also, but i didn't find it worth my time. very overrated band, and not even metal really.
----
28.02.2007 - 03:01
darksymphony
Account deleted
As illogical as this is , I think that God , in all the power he has , should at some time end the results of sex . In other words , since people will never not desire sex , it would be smart if more humans would not result from the intimate contact . But since this idea will never be and people will always either bring more people into this world or abort , I agree that it certainly can become a problem .
06.03.2007 - 04:43
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
@Reaper, ya I was born in Romania too and there isn't much of an issue with over population over there as far as I know.

In other countries there are, for example in China there are 1.8 billion people! It's the same with a lot of asian countries. So over population is obviously a potential problem because while some nation populations arent growing, some are, and some of those are growing rapidly. If that happens there will be more people meaning more polution and the other bad habbits that humnas have so there will be problems.
19.04.2007 - 16:41
iaberis
Advice Troll
I would say that the overpopulation will eventually destroy this planet. Imagine if our planet is full of problems with the today's amount of humans on earth, what would happen if this number got double... The planet will die... So I found a site that is against this problem and it actually inspired me to create the following picture and print it on T-Shirts.

*** WARNING! The site contains EXPLICIT CONTENT not suitable for people that are easily-offended and adult material !!! ***

And this is the site Church of Euthanasia

*** WARNING! The site contains EXPLICIT CONTENT not suitable for people that are easily-offended and adult material !!! ***

Yo! I've warned you, don't come back winning about the site, just like Whinny Dick does...
----
Bitch! Please
19.04.2007 - 19:12
NECURATU

Ahahaha...nice one Iaberis...but they can kill themselves first
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
12.07.2007 - 05:20
Cassandra
Account deleted
yeah, it tends to annoy me when people have too many kids they cant afford, and my taxes pay for their welfare.... but its a touchy subject... people would be completely enraged if government tried to limit human reproduction. people seem to be having less kids now, but some birth rates go up and others down.
19.08.2007 - 06:07
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Guest on 12.07.2007 at 05:20

yeah, it tends to annoy me when people have too many kids they cant afford, and my taxes pay for their welfare.... but its a touchy subject... people would be completely enraged if government tried to limit human reproduction. people seem to be having less kids now, but some birth rates go up and others down.

But overpopulation doesnt have nothing or very little to do with the amount of kids a family have. Because if we take a look in the past families used to have many many more kids than what todays familes have. The problem is that people are living longer, so too many people are born, and not enough people are dying so we end up with a surplus of people. Its all science/medicine's foult and not the number of kids each family have.
----
23.08.2007 - 10:22
Ellie
Account deleted
Okay so I used to be scared of over population. Actually I still am really scared of over population. 2007 is the first year in history where 50% of the world's population is living in cities and the other 50% are living in rural areas. If you ask me that's kind of creepy. Of course that percentage of the people living in cities can only grow. Anyways having said that..I remember reading once that the world's entire 6 million people could live comfortably in an area the size of Texas. I mean I don't know what to believe. Statistics are rarely true and the same goes with predictions. All I know is that having 15 kids is pretty unhealthy for a woman and not having kids is also pretty unhealthy for a woman. We just have to live our lives sensibly even though that obviously won't happen. So everyone enjoy your vacations to the Dominican Republic. Just remember the walls that you are staying in at your resort have people dying from starvation and over population on the other side. Drink your champagne and eat your shrimp; obviously no one cares enough.
29.08.2007 - 07:45
Fhuesc

@ellie: why its bad for women not have children?
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
25.09.2007 - 19:52
?Master?
Account deleted
hmm overpopultation?
take all the imbeciles and idiots in the world
stick em in secluded place n blow them all up
or execute them whatevers clever
haha