Metal Storm logo
Bobaflex

10.04.2008 - 19:23
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
This little band from the backwaters of West Virgina has really surprised me. I first discovered these guys on the original Gigantour (remember when it was actually a cool thing?) and found them to be rather entertaining. Their style was sort of Nu Metal, but a tad bit more sophisticated. Sure, they still looked like idiots with those hair cuts, and their stage moves (while fun to watch) were reminiscent of Munky and Head. Overall, they were a somewhat entertaining opening act, and come on, they were opening up for Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Fear Factory and Symphony X, so lets give them some props there.

Well anyway, a few weeks ago I was walking through a music store and saw one of their albums. Hey! I remember these guys. So, me being the OCD music freak that I am, bought it. There latest album Tales From Dirt Town was not only a huge surprise for me, but a good solid album. Driving from North Carolina to New York with two buddies of mine, we popped it in and listened to it. My initial reaction to this album still stands; this is what happens when Pantera and Korn have a bastard child who is allowed to listen to Genesis. It still had a bit of that Nu Metal Pop swing to it, but with the muddy crushing guitars tones of Dimebag with some nice little alternative/progressive additives to it.

Musically, it is nothing fancy, and why would it be, these guys are from West Virginia (for those who don't live in the USA, West Virgina is kind of a joke of a state). But they still had some hard driving tunes backing up with intense vocals. One really cool aspect is that all the members sing, and not the whiny Pop Punk gang vocals either. Also brothers Shaun and Marty McCoy trade guitar and lead vocals, depending on the song add some nice little surprises to the mix. Lyrically, it is what I would have expected from these guys, not some deep Chris deGarmo/Geoff Tate material, but not the I-Got-Rape-When-I-Was-Little-And-Still-Cry-About-It-In-Every-Song Johnathan Davis type either. The lyrics are more centered on despair and bitterness from growing up in (haha) West Virgina.

If your looking for something new, rather unknown and just good old fun dirty Rock/Metal, check of Bobaflex.
----
(space for rent)
10.04.2008 - 19:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The first time I heard this band was when I saw them live at GIGANTOUR 2006 and I enjoyed them...they were a tad abstract and a little weird in terms of presence and ability but it's not like that's a negative thing...I think it was because they were a little bit different from all other generic nu metal bands that I enjoyed them so much...a lot better than Dry Kill Logic...the other band on the docket that might have been similar in terms of genre...
11.04.2008 - 19:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Maybe I'm just spoiled with the goody-ess of my Metal, Hip Hop, and Dead Can Dance, but this definitely isn't to my taste. One thing that I can stand is the band gives off, at times, a Lynyrd Skynyrd times, but also, unfortunately a Nickleback one too. I wouldn't call this Nu, more like contemporary Rock. Unluckily for me, most, if not all, modern Rock I've heard just plain sucks. Too trendy for me I guess. Thanks for the head's up though.
----
The force will be with you, always.
13.04.2008 - 05:13
Metal_Militia

//Me and my friend got into Bobaflex a long time ago when they first came out. We liked Apologize for Nothing and Primitive Epic. I'm a little annoyed to see them put out what the did with Tale From Dirt Town. They totally commercialized and sold out to all their die hard fans. If you wanna get into them, listen to their first 2 albums//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

17.04.2008 - 16:47
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Myspace url, please?
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.11.2008 - 01:09
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 17.04.2008 at 16:47

Myspace url, please?

http://www.myspace.com/bobaflex
----
(space for rent)
02.12.2008 - 06:33
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Sorry not a fan.

Heard "Home" the other day.

No thanks.
28.12.2008 - 02:23
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 02.12.2008 at 06:33

Sorry not a fan.

Heard "Home" the other day.

No thanks.

Is that the only song you heard?
----
(space for rent)
16.01.2009 - 13:54
palacemaster

I've seen these guys a few times in PA with Solegion if you havent heard of them give them a listen either at there site www.solegion.com or there myspace www.myspace.com/solegion I think they kinda have a better sound then Bobaflex
----
20.01.2011 - 22:07
MordecaiHexagram

These guys are great. They come to my town a lot however I'm one year short of seeing them since they play a lot of bar shows.