Metal Storm logo
Anime

17.05.2006 - 05:02
Daibh
Account deleted
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
17.05.2006 - 05:14
Telrédion86
Account deleted
My only experiences with anime have been with "Spirited Away" (confused me at first but the meaning is really deep once you understand it), "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" (if you call it anime I guess), "Escaflowne" (the film, not the TV show), the "Dragonball" series (yeah yeah, it's a kiddie show and isn't really a respected anime), "Ninja Scroll" (only the film), and "Wolf's Rain" (highly recommend it, very awesome show!).

I too would appreciate any recommendations from the anime experrts here!
17.05.2006 - 05:38
Alouqua
Account deleted
Akira! that is all I have to say... Katsujiro Otomo, master mind!!!! and also Ghost In the shell I and II both great movies...
Daibh so you like Hayao Miyazaki work! I love mononoke hime too...
Telrédion86: Escaflowne the movie is so much better than the TV show IMO, I grew up watching Dragonball and Saint Seiya and I never going to forget all that time I scream in front of the TV... About Wolf's Rain I have seen a few episodes and i really like it (wait till I see the end and I would tell you what I think!)
17.05.2006 - 21:18
Vunts
Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are awesome animes. When i first saw Mononoke, i was...a few years younger, not into anime etc, and my mom called me to watch it, because she knows i liked LOTR and in the tv guide, the anime was described by using LOTR in there. At first i was like naah. But then i died in a game and thought, why not. So i went there about 15 minutes after the show had started. Boy was i miserable after that. I spent a whole year looking for the anime in japanese version so that i could view it fully. When i at last found it...man was i happy. And for a good reason. The art-style is great and the story and music are beautiful. When it was on the tv that time and it ended, i was watching the credits with my mouth open cos the credits had awesome music and i had so much to think about the story.

So now you heard the tale of me getting into anime. Time to let you in on my favourite series. Yes, series. I don't know much anime movies. And Spirits Within wasn't an anime.
I have three series that i enjoy above all. And i will go through them shortly.

Fullmetal Alchemist:
It's my favourite show. It has everything: a story, good music, interesting characters, good style. There's one death that totally messed me up when i first saw it. As messed up as seeing animated people die can get a person. Damnet i CRIED. ME!!! Nothing big, but i did feel tears (that will be continued when i get to the next show). It's 50 episodes and one movie long. But the movie is heavily entwined with the anime's storyline, so good luck understanding anything if you watch the movie before seeing all the anime.

Well, the story revolves around to brothers (i think the older one was 15 and the younger was 13...it shows their age at the beginning anyways). They're alchemists and they both have a couple of odd characteristic. The older brother has one metal leg and a metal arm. And the younger brother is always in an armor. They journey to find the philospher's stone (and this anime doesn't present it in a childish form) to bypass the "equivilent trade" rule, where you have to give something yourself in order to get something of equivilent value. The principal of alchemy. That's the main point, but with all the twists, it is more interesting than it sounds. It does present a fair share of humour, but it classifies as a serious anime. A little bit psychological even. Not so much action in there.

Naruto:
A fighting anime with overly dramatic character bios, progressive folk metal/rock as a main fight theme music, comedy and drama.
It's about ninjas. They are about 11 years old, but other than their naivety, they could be older. This is the first series i watched and i got into it because i saw an anime music video about it (BG - Curse of Feanor was used. That's also how i got into BG :p). There are quite a few memorable quotes, like for example:
No you don't get it. You think you get it, which isn't the sameas actually getting it...get it?
By overly dramatic characters i mean:
#my whole clan was annihilated when i was small
#villagers hate me because the demon fox (kyuubi) is sealed in me
#everyone i cared about has died
You encounter such lines all over the anime, but guess what! They present it in a way that's entirely NOT annoying! Awesome isn't it? The main character is the one with kyuubi sealed in him and his name is Naruto. His quest is to become hokage (head ninja of the village) and make everyone acknowledge him. Plus i've cried more to this anime than in real world since the last time i was forced to do so (i was about 10 or so). Since i'm 18 now, it must show something...i just hope it's not a bad thing.
The music is totally awesome. The fight scenes ARE most of the time accompanied by metal. And that is folk most of the time. Japanese folk. And it has progressive elements in it...i think.
There is also a dubbed version, which SUCKS. The blood has been edited out a lot and the dialogue has been worsened beyond the normal. Definately get the japanese version with subs.

Bleach:
I will copy paste my post from another forum because i have to go soon (thus my short intro of Naruto) and that presents most useful stuff. O yea, fillers in Naruto=horrible, avoid them.

As for Bleach itself: i like it. The dialogue isn't as good as Naruto's (i mean, Naruto does have enough memorable quotes to make a top 10 list), but the action is cool. You know, there's swords, i'll like everything with swords (DoVG made up the general idea of my point about swords)
While the dialogue isn't all that great, i do like the characters. Ishida is probably my least favourite, but during the fillers i found some sort of respect for the boy (see, fillers aren't all that bad). As for my favourite...probably Ukitake or Kyoraku. Both of them are really cool laid back people, just like me. But when the situation calls for, they can shift the battle to their side, just like me. Yoruichi is also cool. The fact how she surprises Ichigo with...the thing, is entertaining no matter how much i've seen it.

The music is good. Intro musics are some of the best i've heard. I mean, i actually downloaded an album of High and Mighty Colour because i simply adored the song Ichirin no Hana which was used in the opening that came before the one currently used. And the one before that was one of my favourite intro animations. It was really well thought out and the music fitted the situations. Even the first intro had a great song even though i rarely listen that sort of music.
The outro with the 3 puppets singing was really powerful when they counted the numbers. I can't remember more outros that i particularily liked though.
The music withing the anime is also good. Dark and heavy for the battles, and sad themes for the sad parts. Naruto does do a better job at fixing the right song for the right moment, but Bleach isn't all that bad either.

OT: by far my favourite non-sad music-time in an anime (the one that comes to my head first) is from Fullmetal Alchemist, when Ed (or was it Al) made the hole in Wrath's room's ceiling and dropped down. Seriously, even as i'm writing now, i get slight shivers remembering that place (no, i don't shiver when i'm afraid. It works differently for me:
1. Either i'm cold or
2. Something in a song or movie or anime fell to place PERFECTLY)

The story is good. The battles are a little too much up front, but since the opening episode pretty much fixed that thing in place, then it makes sense. What the hell worth is a Shinigami if he/she can't defeat evil?? Combat anime and a good one at that, but still keeping the story advancement needed to make it interesting.

The fillers are not as good as the original storyline, but they do explain stuff a little and the new enemies mainly look really damn good (a few exeptions). Plus they bring back a few awesome memories of the beginning times, which i loved for mainly one reason:
Rukia: ICHIGO! It's a hollow. Turn Shinigami
Ichigo: Why should i? It's not coming straight to me
Rukia: Oh ffs *puts glove on and BAM*
Ichigo: Wtf just happened?? Why the heck is my body there??
Those times were just priceless.

The manga is one of my favourites. I rarely have as much fun reading manga as with Bleach. The artstyle in the early volumes sucked horribly though...Ichigo especially...well, pretty much only Ichigo, but that was enough for me to exxagerate.

An awesome show by far, but doesn't top Naruto at it's prime or Fullmetal Alchemist.

EDIT: the way of explaining things is altered to avoid using spoilers.
17.05.2006 - 21:19
AntaeusM
Elite
I am quite into animes, but generally I think movies are too short for an anime. Spirited Away/Princess Monnoko(sp?) were good animes, but it was just too short to feel a real attachment to the characters. Mostly I watch the series+movie.

My favourite series are:
-Chrno Crusade
-Gilgamesh
-Elfen Lied

Chrno Crusade because it is dark and colourful at the same time. Charming characters(Azmaria is so cute ), and it deals with interesting topics such as Satanism.

Giligamesh is very depressing and quite psychological. It is really dark(actually, there is only one scene in the entire anime with a bit of sunshine). I love it, especially the end is just amazing.

Elfen Lied because the anime is very addictive. Lucy/Nyu had a great development in the anime. It is very bloody and definitly a horror anime, but I can recommend it to anyone.

As for movies I can only recommend the Ah My Goddess, Ninja Scroll and Full Metal Alchemist movies. They are very entertaining, but only if you saw the series. So I don't think I can help you much with anime movies, it is just that I am not really into the movie side of the animes
17.05.2006 - 22:34
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I haven't really seen any series.

I used to dislike it but I'm getting quite interested in it. I don't really like all the happy-happy anime and stuff, it's all too exaggerated.
I've seen the movie Akira and that was very impressive! Someone gave Ghost in the Shell for my birthday and I still need to see that one, but I don't think it's bad.

And I'm really curious about Elfen Lied. I'm a fan of disturbed, psycho stuff. And Elfen Lied seemed like something like that when I saw a picture taken from the serie. So I might soon watch that.
18.05.2006 - 01:41
Kami-Sama
Account deleted
I highly recomend to see ghost in the shell, that's one awsome anime. Lots of philosophy, action and intresting concepts, besides the animation y exelent. The Film of Ghost in the Shell: Inocence was in the official cannes selection of 2004.
But I'm sorry to bring Twighlight bad news but I must say Elfen Lied is one disapointing anime, nothing but gore and naked women. Many people want only to se that but a good story is lacking.
18.05.2006 - 02:58
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 01:41

But I'm sorry to bring Twighlight bad news but I must say Elfen Lied is one disapointing anime, nothing but gore and naked women. Many people want only to se that but a good story is lacking.

You are so wrong. Okay, Elfen Lied doesn't have any deeper meaning, or some philosphical background, but overall it is one amazing anime. Mainly because the story itself is amazing.
Elfen Lied is one of the few animes were you really get attached to characters, mainly the main character Lucy/Nyuu. This girl is one amazing character, the split personallity, her emotions, her expressions as Nyuu, I can't see how someone can hate an anime with a main character with that much personallity.

Yes, it has a lot of nudity and it has a lot of gore, but I don't see that as a bad thing.
The nudity only shows how "beautiful" an anime girl can looks like. In a lot of animes they do "too much" feminine(too big breasts, unrealistic body forms), but in Elfen Lied Lucy/Nyuu's body is possible, and it looks very attractive. I see it as something artistic within the anime. The blood/gore is just for all people like Twilight, if you enjoy that kind of stuff..

Elfen Lied is good because of the storyline, the attachment with the characters. Maybe you didn't feel that when watching it, but I definitly did. I can really recommend to Twilight to watch it, you won't be dissapointed
18.05.2006 - 13:31
Eight
Shapeshifter
I enjoy watching anime for some reason, but onlyones that have much asskicking, swordthrowing, in one word only 'KnockleSandwitchAnime'
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
18.05.2006 - 20:47
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by AntaeusM on 18.05.2006 at 02:58

You are so wrong. Okay, Elfen Lied doesn't have any deeper meaning, or some philosphical background, but overall it is one amazing anime. Mainly because the story itself is amazing.
Elfen Lied is one of the few animes were you really get attached to characters, mainly the main character Lucy/Nyuu. This girl is one amazing character, the split personallity, her emotions, her expressions as Nyuu, I can't see how someone can hate an anime with a main character with that much personallity.

Yes, it has a lot of nudity and it has a lot of gore, but I don't see that as a bad thing.
The nudity only shows how "beautiful" an anime girl can looks like. In a lot of animes they do "too much" feminine(too big breasts, unrealistic body forms), but in Elfen Lied Lucy/Nyuu's body is possible, and it looks very attractive.

I definitely agree with that man. I've seen Akira. There isn't much nudity, but it is kind of explicit. But it has a meaning. It's not just shown just to show that kind of things, it has a reason most of the time.
Quote:
I see it as something artistic within the anime. The blood/gore is just for all people like Twilight, if you enjoy that kind of stuff..

Thanks, but it's not exactly bloody stuff that I'm interested in. More very disturbed and psychedelic things, like hallucinations or parallel dimension whatsoever. Just anything that's extremely weird. For example, I just loved the scenes in Akira in which the main character is hallucinating (His guts falling out and he's trying to put them back in, but his friends see nothing or the big toys walking up his bed).
Quote:
Elfen Lied is good because of the storyline, the attachment with the characters. Maybe you didn't feel that when watching it, but I definitly did. I can really recommend to Twilight to watch it, you won't be dissapointed

Thanks! I can't wait to watch it.

I'll gladly recieve any other recommendations. I've tried to describe what kind of things I like, so hopefully there are more anime movies/series like that.
19.05.2006 - 02:07
Kami-Sama
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 18.05.2006 at 02:58

Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 01:41

The nudity only shows how "beautiful" an anime girl can looks like. In a lot of animes they do "too much" feminine(too big breasts, unrealistic body forms), but in Elfen Lied Lucy/Nyuu's body is possible, and it looks very attractive. I see it as something artistic within the anime. The blood/gore is just for all people like Twilight, if you enjoy that kind of stuff..

I didn't say that there is gore and nudity in an anime means it's a bad anime. I like gory animes
but also I like at least a good story line. And Elfen Lied lacks one. And I'm sorry but the characters are too cliche. nyuu/lucy is a mere copy of the chii character of Chobits
19.05.2006 - 05:14
Antidote4
Account deleted
The Anime you must see are in this order
1. Fullmetal Alchemist (because of the great story)
2. Trigun (because, well its a great show with some good humor and some good story driven ephisodes)
3. Cowboy Bebop (because its the anime that has everything and more. This show has some major class)
4. Hellsing (very short show, but its the best vampire anime ever made in my opinion)
5. Samurai Champloo ( because its got the best characters out of any show ive seen)

These are the best five shows. matbe this will change when I see neon Genesis as I havn't seen it yet. but for now you have to watch these.
19.05.2006 - 09:24
Coté
I love Anime, especially
Tsubasa
Evangelion
Sakura Card Captor
D-N Angel
Inuyasha
Shaman king
and many more
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
19.05.2006 - 13:04
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Besides all the ones that are named here already, you should check out the following ones:

- Berserk (series): I loved the anime, and the manga as well, with many thanks to Ylside hahah. Its about Gutts, a warrior in medieval times. He goes his way among armies of hired mercenaries and finds hiw way to a man who he admires, but that man has plans of his own to get as big as possible. Its a really interesting setting and a story which you cant lay down for a minute. Its also quite bloody and a bit old, so it may seem a bit low budget like, but to me it really adds something to the mood and atmosphere. The manga is really one of best drawned ones around.

- Ghibli: The Ghibli Studio, I really liked pretty much all the movies they released, how childish some may seem I still enjoyed them a lot. The ones you mentioned, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away en Howls Moving Castle are from their hand as well.

- Samurai Champloo (series): Really cool, it may be labelled as hip-hop like, but dont let that scare you away! If you do you will miss out on some really cool stuff. Its damn entertaining and its setting is in old Japan, samurai's and stuff, but it has his own twist into the days of today. It makes me laugh even thinking about it hahaha.

- Haibane Renmei (series): A really tranquil story, a story which is damn interesting. One of my favorites because it is so relaxing to. Its about a girl who gets reborn in a society where she lives with a group as a Haibane seperate of the normal people. When she is reborn she doesnt remember anyhting from her previous life, she goes wandering around with questions like "who are the Haibane and what is their purpose", "what lies beyond those massive walls". And so she begins her journey of self-discovery and amazement.

- Kino's Journey (series): Also a really tranquil serie, with a deep phylosophical inlay. A young girl goes around with her trustworhty motorcycle, Hermes, as an traveller visiting different cities with totally different societes and understandings of moral. One of my favorites and stands right next to Haibane Renmei.

- Last Exile (series): Want more action, this is the serie to check out! It is in a setting in a world which goes around an industrial revolution where the world is mostly air and big flying ships rule the skies. It has a touch of Victorian settings. 2 young childhood friends fly around trying to make it through the Grand Stream in a flyship left by the young boy's father. But while trying to do so they get mixed up in an all out war against the mysterious Guild. Exciting, thrilling and extremely entertaining, it mixes up some CGI elements as well and it result is brilliant.

EDIT
- Rahxephon (series): Forgot about this one, it may be a bit tough to see it through as I found it getting a bit dull in some episodes, but when you pull yourself through you wont be dissapointed. Its a thrilling story and it looks gorgeous.

- Vampire Hunter D (movie): Duh, its even my avatar, which I need to change to a better one, but anyway. Its a cool movie about a vampire like being and vampire hunters trying to hunt down the big catch. Really cool atmosphere, but I'm a bit tired typing this stuff, so google around for it hahah. Its this movie that got me into anime and the likes.
19.05.2006 - 21:47
Dragonheart
Account deleted
@headbang: I like Bleach, too, and I agree about the music. I've heard several anime openings which are just lame, but Bleach's are not. The current one in particular - very nice rock tune. My favourite character is Hitsugaya because he's level-headed, upstanding and cool (literally, he's got an ice dragon for bankai after all ^^). Second would be Yoruichi.

As for other recommendations:

Seven Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki)
A girl getting transported to another world doesn't sound like a revolutionary plot (especially if you've seen Fushigi Yuugi), but this one is different, and it is very worth watching. I had my doubts during the first few episodes mainly because I found the main character not very likable, but that changed drastically. This series is a novel adaptation and not complete, meaning it stops at the end of an arc without actually resolving all plotlines. This may be somewhat disappointing, but I still think it highly recommendable.

Record of Lodoss War
If you're into fantasy, this anime is for you. Its creator was influenced by Dungeons and Dragons, and it shows. There is a TV series and an OVA, which is generally considered better. Both have wonderful opening themes.

Slayers
Slayers is GREAT. Absolutely. The story revolves around Lina Inverse, a greedy, gluttonous sorceress, and is extremely hilarious most of the time. There are three seasons, the last of which (Slayers Try) is somewhat weaker than the first two. A truly magical (in every sense) action/comedy series.
21.05.2006 - 17:48
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Last night I've seen all the episodes of Elfen Lied in a row. And my God, that was superb!
Blackgir, you were right about getting so attached. Lucy/Nyuu is a great character. I really started to feel for her, even though she had killed loads of people. One think that I didn't understand or what I found rather strange was that Kouta got in a relationship with his cousin. :/ [add:] Oh, never mind. I read that it isn't that strange in the Japanese culture.

All in all a great anime, as far as I've seen any series. The ending is great too. And the melody keeps sticking in my head.
22.05.2006 - 01:47
AntaeusM
Elite
@Kami-sama,

The only unoriginal thing I can say about the characters is the "Nyuu" of Lucy. One of the twins from Please Twins, and the main character of AIR, also said Nyuu a lot of times(does it have a meaning?). But besides of that, she has an orginal personallity. I haven't seen much of Chobits, but she didn't remind me about that anime in any way.

@Eddie

Last Exile. That anime is great! It has a bit of this "fairytalish" feeling in it and I simply loved the main characters. I really like the exploring and sky theme in this anime. Nice one for mentioning this one

@Twilight

Exactly like me. I also watched them all in one row. It was excellent eh? The ending was good, and I really hope they are going to make more episodes. I mean, there are still so many things possible, and personally I found 13 episodes just too short for this great anime
22.05.2006 - 02:22
Icewings
La Luna
Hey this is a pretty cool thread , I really liek watching anime movies , and well my brother has always to do with anime so it's easy to get them ...I like some of the movies mention before liek Akira and some others but I really like Vampire Hunter D ..I don't know why but it calls my attetion so much , the iamges and everything ...uhmm I really liek it , it might be slow and boring but I think is cool ...
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
22.05.2006 - 04:54
Laevos
Account deleted
Great thread indeed. Well, I used to like more animes, but I still like some, such as Ranma 1/2, because it's fuckin' funny; Love Hine, for the same reason; Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya, because are part of my childhood; and ELFEN LIED, just because it's great! Well, I agree that most scenes are butchery and nudism, but hell, animes are made to distract us! I don't think everything has to be a deep 'meaning' or 'message'. We have the right to think in nothing for a while! And Elfen Lied is, as said before, an anime which you have an emotional relationship with the characters. I bet that you who watched it were praying for Lucy/Nyuu stick together at the end! Animes were done to amuse us, and definitely EL amuses me.

Cheers.

P.S.: I accept some suggestions of animes for me to try, too!
22.05.2006 - 17:17
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Icewings on 22.05.2006 at 02:22

(...) I like some of the movies mention before liek Akira and some others but I really like Vampire Hunter D ..I don't know why but it calls my attetion so much , the iamges and everything ...uhmm I really liek it , it might be slow and boring but I think is cool ...

No its not! Yeah, perhaps it is, but it does the same for me as for you. It just has a really cool vibe, which I love.

@Blackgir, yes it is a really great anime, definetly a recommendation for all of you anime fans

About Samurai Champloo, yesterday night I started with volume 5 (dont know exactly wich episode that is, 13 or something I guess). And man, that is really a great anime. The characters are brilliant, perhaps quite stereotypic, but nonetheless extremely fun to watch. And the drawings its looks so good, its amazing.
22.05.2006 - 21:29
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I'm listening to just the music of Elfen Lied now. It's so beautiful.
23.05.2006 - 03:50
Icewings
La Luna
Written by Eddie on 22.05.2006 at 17:17

Written by Icewings on 22.05.2006 at 02:22

(...) I like some of the movies mention before liek Akira and some others but I really like Vampire Hunter D ..I don't know why but it calls my attetion so much , the iamges and everything ...uhmm I really liek it , it might be slow and boring but I think is cool ...

No its not! Yeah, perhaps it is, but it does the same for me as for you. It just has a really cool vibe, which I love.

Hey , well is it a little slow but I love it too , the vibe is so beautiful and D he is such a beautiful creature ..I liek it a lot and the story is really cool , I'm glad someone else likes it because everyone tells me ahh that movie is so boring ...but I love it
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
24.05.2006 - 00:46
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
I also am an otaku (anime fan), and my absolute favorite series is Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. It's basically a spin off of the regular series, and it's about 13 episodes long and is usually about Sousuke's idiocy. It's really crazy, but the originally series of Full Metal Panic is also really good. The animation was well done and the characters were really cool (except Kaname, I hated her....).

Golden Boy is another anime that is mostly for guys because it's extremely perverted. It's 6 episodes long about a guy named Kintaro Oe who travels around Japan on a bicycle studying life. It's definitely a guy's anime though.

Well other animes I like are: Scryed, Naruto, Noir, Akira, and of course Rurouni Kenshin.
25.05.2006 - 07:31
HI!

I don't know about Anime, but I can say tha I like Saint Seiya, for those that they like this series I recommend them the saga of Hades.... very good
----
♪♫ I never seem to understand. The time, the place and who I am.

Define a way to stay alive. It's like I'm living a lie ♪♫
25.05.2006 - 12:53
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Bloody Rain on 24.05.2006 at 00:46

I also am an otaku (anime fan) (...)

Don't be too quick with calling people otaku. It may have a negative charge to it to some people. In Japan it certainly has a negative charge to it. People who are so obsessive with anime/manga (though the term is used also for fanatics of any sort of theme, in english it is only referred to anime/manga) that they know every tiny detail, as far as costume changes, favorite food, anything to impress other otaku that doesnt know of that detail, are usually called otaku. And again, thats usually in Japan, in Western countries it has a more flexible meaning. Though some people may also not like it to be called otaku in Western countries, particularly those who are aware of the negative connotations the term has within some subcultures.
25.05.2006 - 17:42
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I've seen Ghost in the Shell this morning.

Wow that was very impressive! It was hard to understand and to follow while I was watching it. But right now I understand it better and all those huge questions that are asked in the film are very interesting, but scary as well. The animations and the scenery was great!
25.05.2006 - 17:59
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Twilight on 25.05.2006 at 17:42

I've seen Ghost in the Shell this morning.

Wow that was very impressive! It was hard to understand and to follow while I was watching it. But right now I understand it better and all those huge questions that are asked in the film are very interesting, but scary as well. The animations and the scenery was great!

Ah cool. Did you see 'Innocence', or the first movie? I liked 'Innocence' more when looking at the animations, and somehow it left a bigger impression on me. But the story of both the movies are really good, though you need to have a certain appetite for phylosopical matters. So, you should watch 'Innocence' as well, its really good as well. And of course you should not forget about the series

EDIT
Twilight, you should definetly as well check out Berserk, I think you will like it a lot
25.05.2006 - 18:17
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Thanks for the tips.

I guess I will need to see Innocense too then. I read that Oshii used CGI technology combined with usual drawn animation in that one. Sounds very interesting.
I'll think about the series. I've only seen one serie till now (Elfen Lied) and I'd rather first try series that people I know already have seen and own (So that I won't need to download it all).

And what about Berserk? Why do you think I will like it? (In other words; please tell me more about it. )
25.05.2006 - 18:42
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Here are some links you can check out about Berserk:

- http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=57
- http://www.animetric.com/abc/berserk.html
- http://server1.animenfo-radio.com/animetitle,70,pimdxv,berserk.html <- basic info
- http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=328

And this site you should keep at the back of your head (or you bookmarked list ), I find it really quite useful to see whether an anime is liked or not:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/

And to quote my own opinion about it:
'I loved the anime, and the manga as well, with many thanks to ylside hahah. Its about Gutts, a warrior in medieval times. He goes his way among armies of hired mercenaries and finds hiw way to a man who he admires, but that man has plans of his own to get as big as possible. Its a really interesting setting and a story which you cant lay down for a minute. Its also quite bloody and a bit old, so it may seem a bit low budget like, but to me it really adds something to the mood and atmosphere. The manga is really one of best drawned ones around.'
26.05.2006 - 00:45
Bardiel13
Account deleted
I've been into anime for a while. Hell, I even go to a charter school for movies, so if I get the right creds, I might as well persue a job in it. At least animation for that matter.

Wel my favorites at the moment are:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (duh)
Gundam (my gateway drug to anime)
GunGrave
Ranma 1/2
Full Metal Panic!
and I like Kannazuki no Miko so far.