Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
26.05.2006 - 02:12
Alouqua
Account deleted
Ok, now my fav. ones: I love Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the shell I and II, Blood the last vampire, vampire hunter D, Blue Suubmarine Nº 6, Cowboy Bebop, Saint Seiya, Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin (my always beloved Kenshin )...
Mi sins: Bronze and Utena
29.05.2006 - 12:08
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Last weekend I've seen Angel's Egg. This is a very old movie by Oshii (Ghost in the Shell). It's kind of abstract with a LOT of symbolic things. But the environment and the characters are drawn very well! Everything is so beautiful, and the atmosphere is very desolate and strange.
Everything is strange in that movie, but it's one hell of a movie! Very good! It's also very rare, so don't try to buy it somewhere (unless you live in Japan or know people who you think might be able to get it for you). The easiest way to see it is to download it. The movie was made in 1985, but it definitely doesn't look like it's that old.
29.05.2006 - 16:10
Soul less
Account deleted
Hi there!
Well like most of the people on this forum, I like complex anime with multifaceted characters and deep plot lines. My favourite anime series are:

Neon Genesis: Evangelion - Well possibly the most controversial anime ever due to the extreme psychoanalysis (not sure if its topographical or structural model here - my friend's doing psych). Every single character including Shinji's classmates who have a couple of lines, have so much depth to them. Anno sort of had a mental break down during the making of this series which explains some of the 'bizzare moments' of Evangelion. My favourite characters are Shinji, Asuka and Karwou.

RahXephon - I love Rah but too many people pass it off as an Evangelion clone. It has a completely different meaning / message than evangelion (whose could be interpreted as everyone dies) but I must achnowledge that there are several Evangelion moments. If you like Evangelion for its story, check this excellent anime series out.

Last Exile - Well this is an action / fantasy anime that has some very interesting characters. Although it might not compare to Evangelion, manages to captivate the viewers with intense action sequences that are so spectacular, it will make you drool. It has an awesome plot that progresses as you learn more about the characters.

Other anime titles that I enjoy (they all have great stories):
-Escaflowne
-Nadesico
-Ghost In The Shell (a complex story)
-Full Metal Panic
-Fullmetal Alchemist
-Haibane Renmei
-Lain
-Cowboy Beebop

Well let me know which ones you like and which ones you dont guy!!!
29.05.2006 - 22:06
Eddie
Retired Mod.
@Soul less
- I've actually never seen Evangelion Somehow it never appealed to me a lot to go and watch it, its like a sin I know, but screw it hahah. I will watch it someday though probably.
- RahXephon, its a great series, though a bit tough to get into, check my post a page ago.
- Last Exile, great series, its good to see that in your list. Check my post as well a page ago. Blackgir will agree with me hahah.
- Escaflowne, I have only seen a couple of episodes and I own a couple of mangas from that serie, its a good enjoyable serie, but it doesnt really stand out for me.
- Nadesico, I've never heard of it. Whats it about??
- Full Metal Panic, really enjoyable, though I havent finished it. I should start over with that again. Also own 2 manga of it. Really fun serie, though a bit weird hahah. Not as weird as FLCL though ...
- Fullmetal Alchemist, never watched the anime, though I follow it closely on the manga, volume 8 will be releaesed in July. I really enjoy it a lot. I bet the anime is great as well.
- Haibane Renmei, good to see this one on your list as well. Its really tranquil to watch and really good. If somebody hasnt seen it yet, they should check it out. I've also mentioned this one at my post a page ago.
- Lain, I have this one waiting for me to be watched, though I'm in exam period and stuff, really busy and stuff, I have heard a lot of good stuff about this one and see it mentioned quite a lot.
- Cowboy Bebop, an awesome series, missing out on this one means missing out on something really good. I still watch an episode from to time altough I've already seen it a billion times.

I can recommend you to check out Kino's Journey, it has about the same atmosphere as Haibane Renmei. Check out my post a page ago
31.05.2006 - 11:12
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I've never really been much of a fan of the Neon Genisis series.
Don't get me wrong the animation, characters and allround design of the show is topnotch stuff, i guess it's all a bit too religious for me, I'm a fan of the classics where a show was finshed with a happy endiing and didn't leave you wondering what the hell was going on.
Even if most anime fans will say it is the greatest anime of all time, it just didn't pull me in like animes do eg. Last Exile, Hellsing (probably not a HAPPY happy ending but I still enjoyed it) etc.

Yeah, that's right I'm old fashioned, what of it?
02.06.2006 - 16:39
LeDruide

Bleach : both action and humour, pretty good
Naruto : the current eps are awful
Fullmetal Alchemist (series and movie) : quite good, the movie gives some answers to what not explained in the series
Full Metal Panic : action & humour
Full Metal Panic Fummofu : loool, laughing during the whole time, Full Metal Panic without action
Full Metal Panic The Second Raid : 2nd season, more dark and complex than the first one
Ghost in the shell movies and series
Blood The Last Vampire and the Blood+ series : currently on Japanese tv, very good series, with a beautiful soundtrack
RahXephon : didn't understand everthing but good anyway
Saint Seiya : the last 6 eps and the last movie are not good, but The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary is awesome
Gun X Sword : action & humour with mechas, not so far from Cowboy Bebop (didn't watch CB so don't know if it's that true)
The Gundam series : Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny (GS is really good especially the endings but with no real end in order to make more eps in GSD which is a GS bis), Gundam Wing : not bad, Gundam Evolve : absolutely no story but nice 3D drawing
Bakuretsu Tenshi : why not
Kenrai Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak : not bad
Sagikage, Cromartie High School : lol in a High School
Hare + Guu : lol in the jungle
Gunmm : beautiful movie
Samurai Champloo : awesome series in the Edo period, at the beginning of the 18th century, mixes (meaning of "champloo) medieval times with Hip-Hop music (I don't like that kind of music but it goes very well here)

Many more but don't know them.
03.06.2006 - 18:43
AntaeusM
Elite
About Neon Genesis Evangelion;

I never understood how this anime could become so popular. Because it is really really difficult to access. The storyline is highly philosphical. Also, I don't think anyone whould understand a bit of Shinji's thinking unless they have Shinji's personallity too. Shinji is a really complicated person, and definitly not someone that could be understood by everyone.

Same goes for the storyline. A lot of the episodes are the typical "fight the bad guy"-type of episode. With angels being the bad guys. The deeper meaning behind it is very difficult to understand. Especially because the anime doesn't tell us that. You have to figure that out on your own.

To me it really helped to see the movie of Neon Genesis Evangelion, because it completed the storyline. After the 26 episodes it is pretty unclear what happened to Shinji etc. I did understand it after a long time thinking, but my first thought was "what a vague end..".

Anyway, I don't understand the popularity, because it is such a complicated and philosphical anime. Most people rather see more "relaxing" animes such as Bleach, Cowboy Bebop or Last Exile. This type of anime also sells much better than the complicated/philosophical animes. I would say Neon Genesis Evangelion would only be enjoyable for the people who are really deep into the topics that Neon Genesis Evangelion deals with.
04.06.2006 - 13:19
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Blackgir, have you ever seen Angel's Egg? It's an Anime movie by Oshii (director of Ghost in the Shell). It's also a very strange movie, but the artwork is amazing. This movie also has a lot of philosophical and hidden meanings, most things are more about Oshii himself but I'm not sure. There are a lot of references to the Arc of Noah and Christianity.

And what you're saying about this Neon Genesis Evangelion really sounds interesting as well. I might try to get those episodes and maybe the movie too.
04.06.2006 - 20:45
AntaeusM
Elite
Well, not yet. I will see it pretty soon probably. I was planning to watch that movie on a small "anime-party" I have with a few friends in the holidays. Sounds interesting, even kinda similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion. I will post it here when I have seen the movie.

Yeah you should, I hope you will enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion
10.06.2006 - 05:29
Kami-Sama
Account deleted
Has anyone here seen "Le portrait de la petite cossette"? In english it means "The protrait of little cossette", It's suposed to be a very dark (and even gothic for some) anime. It's really unknow. If someone has seen it, please tell me if it's worth seeing it.
On the other hand, @: Twilight, neon genesis evangelion has become a classic anime, almost every anime fan has seen it and recongnize it's quality, I really recomend it.
10.06.2006 - 06:27
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Why on why haven't I seen Gravitation fans over here?! *sobs*
You really really really should see it! it is the funniest anime ever >.<
wahh...
And you should all go vote on my jrock/pop/visualk poll since it's likely you've all listened to them genres right now!! >.<;;
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
10.06.2006 - 12:33
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
But Jrock and Visual Kei is something completely different than Anime right? o_O
I mean, most of those Jrock guys dress themselves as Anime people or girls, it's just too weird for me.

I'm sorry if this offends you. I know a girl who likes this Visual Kei stuff and bands that you like too, and she has shown me some pictures of that and it just doesn't appeal to me. Probably because I'm a guy.
10.06.2006 - 13:02
AntaeusM
Elite
@Twilight, that isn't true, I like some Visual Kei bands..the more serious bands are quite enjoyable, and since these bands play something between gothic rock, dark wave, industrial and gothic metal, it could be enjoyable for a metalhead. Just give Moi Dix Mois a try, that is a Visual Kei band who play some sort-of gothic metal

Oh yeah, I have the Angels Egg DVD, I am going to watch it tomorrow

@Linak

Well, because Gravitation has a storyline that most people will dislike? I guess you must be a girl to fully enjoy that anime, plus not all girls are open for that kind of themes. To be honest, it doesn't surprise me that Gravitation hasn't been mentioned yet
10.06.2006 - 20:43
Linak
I Own You Bitch
@Blackgir:

Well that will change the moment you watch it
I promise you'll looove it
Just look at my sig, is it not the most romantic, adorable thing you've ever seen?? ^^'
----
10.06.2006 - 23:42
Bardiel13
Account deleted
Ah, Gravitation... Is that what the fangirls are into nowadays? I lot of people don't liek it, because it's shounen-ai, but I'll tell you this... For all I care, they're heterosexual, because that pink-haired dude is a travesty to the Y Chromozone!

Plus, it lacks giant robots
11.06.2006 - 01:00
Linak
I Own You Bitch
He is not a trasvesty"!!!!! >.< HE IS JUST A VERY BEAUTIFUL BOY!!!!! GRRR....
----
11.06.2006 - 01:09
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Linak on 10.06.2006 at 20:43

@Blackgir:

Well that will change the moment you watch it
I promise you'll looove it
Just look at my sig, is it not the most romantic, adorable thing you've ever seen?? ^^'

I am not that sure of that..and to be honest, because only fangirls like Gravitation, I didn't have the motivation yet to download a few episodes of it I did read a bit of the manga, didn't really like it Too much shojo thingies

Uhm no, it doesn't give me a feeling of romance to be honest I kinda like the art of Onegai Teacher or Chrno Crusade when it comes to romance, but that is an entire different topic I prefer to see two anime girls in a romance, that would look MUCH better than two guys..
11.06.2006 - 03:53
Linak
I Own You Bitch
@Blackgir, I say it again, once youw atch it, you'll love it I rest my case
and well, Shuichi does look like a girl sometimes ^^ and Yuki is just HOT so there's no escaping that, like my gackt, he will threaten your heterosexuality, oh by the way, LOOVE the sig
----
12.06.2006 - 04:55
AntaeusM
Elite
@Twilight, I have seen Angel's egg today. That movie is amazing! It was really religious and I just kept on puzzling what the girl, egg, water and the guy meant. The movie was full with metaphors. I first thought the egg had something to do with fertility, but I guess it was not after the whole bird story. I have to think some more about it to fully understand this anime, but it is definitly a great anime. I also like the fact that there were only a few conversations, but still the movie had a lot of strong parts, and it kept your attention for the full 90 minutes.(I even felt sad for the girl in a certain scene, don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't seen this great movie)

I have also seen Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart and Tokyo Godfathers today. Howl's Moving Castle was definitly the best movie out of these three, but what can you expect after Spirited Away and Princess Monoke? This time the theme was a bit darker, but great nonetheless. Whisper of the Heart was closely to shojo, but still kinda enjoyable for a guy. I am just not really into the whole romance thing. Tokyo Godfathers was a strange movie, but I can recommend it if you want to see an enjoyable easy-to-access movie.

@Linak, Hm..I don't think so.. Today's sig is uhm..bad. You drew a moustache on Mana, how cruel can you be :
12.06.2006 - 14:43
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Glad to hear that you liked it.

For me most of the symbolism is still a mystery. But yeah, it has a lot to do with religion. The guy carrying the cross and stuff. It seems to me that it has something to do with oppression or something.
12.06.2006 - 16:16
Almar
Account deleted
my fav:
Inuyasha
Full metal alchemist
great theacher onizuka
Trigun
Cowboy bebop

My fav movies are Princess Monanoke and ghost in the shell
12.06.2006 - 18:49
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Twilight on 12.06.2006 at 14:43

Glad to hear that you liked it.

For me most of the symbolism is still a mystery. But yeah, it has a lot to do with religion. The guy carrying the cross and stuff. It seems to me that it has something to do with oppression or something.

[spoiler warning, do not read this if you are planning to watch Angel's Egg]
Oppresion? Hm, that thought crossed my mind, especially in the scene with all the shadow fishes. Humanity were hunting on those fishes, and since a symbol of Jesus is a fish, it could be that humanity were struggling against the power of religion. At the end religion won because of the flood.

However, the egg represents the bird who saved all living beings in the story of Arc of Noah. The guy with the cross destroyed the egg, and probably killed the bird with it. Because of that humanity couldn't survive. The girl died too, or at least, turned into stone. The girl searched for water, and water is a metaphor for life. So the girl represented life, or at least fertility or the ability to reproduce.

So I guess the "idea" behind the movie is that religion (will) kill the humanity? Yes, I have seriously thought about this, this movie was just so fascinating
13.06.2006 - 07:33
Bardiel13
Account deleted
Written by Linak on 11.06.2006 at 01:00

He is not a trasvesty"!!!!! >.< HE IS JUST A VERY BEAUTIFUL BOY!!!!! GRRR....

Very beautiful boys are a travesty. I rest my case.
(oh, and on top of being beautiful, he has a pink bunny fetish and wears dresses and school girl uniforms more than often.)
13.06.2006 - 22:26
Linak
I Own You Bitch
aw come on he did that ONCE! And the bunny fetish is not him its Ryuichi, he has a thing for Ryuichi, not his bunny
And beautiful boys aren't transvestites that's a silly thing to say, do you even know what at transvestite IS? because so far from what you've said, I don't think you have a clue
----
14.06.2006 - 04:25
Bardiel13
Account deleted
I never called beautiful boys transvestites...
14.06.2006 - 04:47
vallhalen
Account deleted
what about saber marionette j? i think it's a very original story, beatiful girls, and the thing i like the most, it's about this kind of fantasy about having more than one gorgeous women for each us. but don't think is a sort of sexist anime, it has a deeper content than that
14.06.2006 - 19:01
ylside

I'm not a BIG anime fan, however there are some that make my day any time :

Berserk, the best thing that Japan sent to the rest of the world IMO lol. It has absolutly everything I need. The anime is great, the manga is better.The first volumes were quite badly drawn, but then it has improved with time. The story, well, the issue of this manga isn't really clear to my eyes...in the actual volumes (30,31) it really became hazardous, the end is quite hard to figure out, I love that. o_o. I've read the manga two times and I still can't remember everything that happened...I love that too...When I rediscover things I forgot.

Next comes Full Metal Alchemist, the manga and the anime are COMPLETELY different in the middle of the adventure. Since the manga is still published and it reached many new things that took initiatively a different road from the anime (the death of the Homonculus, the philosopher's stone mainly). I didn't see the movie.

Then comes Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO, where is Eddie lol). Saw only the anime, I completely love it, it's pure genius Definitly the most chilling of the anime I'm listing right now. I still have to read the whole Onizuka adventures from the beginning !! (Bad Company --> Young GTO --> GTO )

Another one now, thanks to Blackgir I've discovered Elfen Lied, I've fallen in love with the anime from the first seconds...The only problem is that not only it is a wonderful anime, it is also VERY ADDICTIVE... I was fighting fatigue and sleep to finish it... I don't conceive the end of the anime as bad, as most opinions clame... in fact I don't really enjoy happy endings.

Wolf's Rain Good anime. By that I mean it is not outstanding but enjoyble. The main thing that I liked there is that fights aren't just like that, and that they are quite rare, good to see an anime without too much slaughtering.. It's end sucks. I didn't see the movie.

Gilgamesh (courtesy of blackgir again haha) I feel very unconfortable towards this anime for I didn't gave it enough time, mainty because I began it in a bad period of my schedule..I've seen up to episode 6, it does seems GREAT. That post-apocalyptic athmosphere is just great. I'll re-watch it from the beginning.

Movies = Ninja Scroll, Mononoke (forgit its name) and the one with Shihiro (my memory is definitly bad )

I've completely lost interest in Naruto, especially after discovering FMA and Berserk.It isn't interesting to my eyes no more.
15.06.2006 - 03:01
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by ylside on 14.06.2006 at 19:01

Gilgamesh (courtesy of blackgir again haha) I feel very unconfortable towards this anime for I didn't gave it enough time, mainty because I began it in a bad period of my schedule..I've seen up to episode 6, it does seems GREAT. That post-apocalyptic athmosphere is just great. I'll re-watch it from the beginning.

You are only at episode 6? It must been months ago since I recommened you to try this anime
I am glad to hear you like it
15.06.2006 - 16:29
Eddie
Retired Mod.

Then comes Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO, where is Eddie lol). Saw only the anime, I completely love it, it's pure genius Definitly the most chilling of the anime I'm listing right now. I still have to read the whole Onizuka adventures from the beginning !! (Bad Company --> Young GTO --> GTO )

Holy craaap!! I completly forgot to mention GTO. I will make up for it a little bit later today.

*crawls in dark corner with deep shame*

EDIT
ok, here we a go, a day too late, but well. GTO, I'm a main fan of the manga, have seen some episodes of it, but the anime doesnt make it to the manga in my opinion. Its a really hilarious series about a ex-gangmember who goes teaching, he wants to the best in the world, but with his character and a lot of 'enemies' he gets in a shitload of trouble, always getting out of it somehow though. Yeah, Great Teacher Onizuka is the best of the best. Its the series I have enjoyed the most out of all.
15.06.2006 - 17:06
ylside

Written by AntaeusM on 15.06.2006 at 03:01

You are only at episode 6? It must been months ago since I recommened you to try this anime
I am glad to hear you like it

You recommended it to me when I was re-reading Berserk Bad schedule I told you lol. But now that I'm up-to-date, I'll look forward to it.

I would be glad if anyone could recommend me some non-violent and psychological animes, or some humorous ones, or both. Gah.

I also forgot the Golden Boy OVAs !! A recommendation for every perv out there.