Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
15.02.2012 - 20:00
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 15.02.2012 at 19:45

I recommend Hunter X Hunter. It's got a really nice story. A lot of different stories for each main character actually and I'm still waiting for the other stories. I've been waiting for ages, Yoshihiro Togashi! Please start making them!

I believe that Togashi had picked it back up in August of 2011 and hasn't stopped since then. At least according to this. Stuff's going in a completely different direction now.
15.02.2012 - 20:23
byng
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 15.02.2012 at 20:00

I recommend Hunter X Hunter. It's got a really nice story. A lot of different stories for each main character actually and I'm still waiting for the other stories. I've been waiting for ages, Yoshihiro Togashi! Please start making them!

I believe that Togashi had picked it back up in August of 2011 and hasn't stopped since then. At least according to this. Stuff's going in a completely different direction now.

Omg. I only got episodes until Greed Island and that's it. Have you seen the latest installment? Now that's a bummer if it's going in a different direction. I was hoping to see Gon finding his father, Killua passing the hunter exam, Kurapika killing all the other members of Genei Ryodan, well, except for Kuroro, who will be fighting against Hisoka, etc., etc. I'd like to see more of the Zoldyck family. damn
15.02.2012 - 20:40
byng
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.02.2012 at 20:23

Written by bj_waters on 15.02.2012 at 20:00

Omg. I only got episodes until Greed Island and that's it. Have you seen the latest installment? Now that's a bummer if it's going in a different direction. I was hoping to see Gon finding his father, Killua passing the hunter exam, Kurapika killing all the other members of Genei Ryodan, well, except for Kuroro, who will be fighting against Hisoka, etc., etc. I'd like to see more of the Zoldyck family. damn

Oh wait. I was talking about the animation/video so it's not Yoshihiro Togashi's fault. my bad.
15.02.2012 - 21:28
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 15.02.2012 at 20:40

Oh wait. I was talking about the animation/video so it's not Yoshihiro Togashi's fault. my bad.

Sorry, it's probably a bit of my fault as well. I thought you meant the manga by mentioning Togashi. Yeah, the first series stopped after Greed Island and I doubt they'll be continued because they've started over with the new anime series. I imagine that they'll get beyond Greed Island eventually . . . .

Seriously, though. After Greed Island, it does kind of go in a different direction. The story is still high quality, introducing a whole new field of characters and complexities. However, I'm almost up to date on the manga and Kurapika and Leorio have rarely shown up since the September and Greed Island arcs. (I hope that isn't to much of a spoiler, but I didn't want to raise your hopes for nothing.)
16.02.2012 - 06:21
byng
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 15.02.2012 at 21:28

Written by Guest on 15.02.2012 at 20:40

Sorry, it's probably a bit of my fault as well. I thought you meant the manga by mentioning Togashi. Yeah, the first series stopped after Greed Island and I doubt they'll be continued because they've started over with the new anime series. I imagine that they'll get beyond Greed Island eventually . . . .

Seriously, though. After Greed Island, it does kind of go in a different direction. The story is still high quality, introducing a whole new field of characters and complexities. However, I'm almost up to date on the manga and Kurapika and Leorio have rarely shown up since the September and Greed Island arcs. (I hope that isn't to much of a spoiler, but I didn't want to raise your hopes for nothing.)

Very well then. I'll just make my own Hunter x Hunter ending..hahahaha..I'll just wait for the next installment.."Nippon Amination I'm begging you." ...Thanks for the info bj_waters.
16.02.2012 - 20:09
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 16.02.2012 at 06:21

Very well then. I'll just make my own Hunter x Hunter ending..hahahaha..I'll just wait for the next installment.."Nippon Amination I'm begging you." ...Thanks for the info bj_waters.

I'm sure that Nippon Animation won't be doing any more Hunter x Hunter, especially now that Madhouse is redoing it. They're up to the final phase of the Hunter Exam (where the winners are removed and the losers advance), and I expect them to plow on through everything. Right now, they're available for free, streaming from CrunchyRoll.com, but I don't think they allow people outside of the US to watch them there. Anime companies are REALLY picking about what countries can watch their stuff. It's a shame, really.
16.02.2012 - 21:07
byng
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 16.02.2012 at 20:09

Written by Guest on 16.02.2012 at 06:21

I'm sure that Nippon Animation won't be doing any more Hunter x Hunter, especially now that Madhouse is redoing it. They're up to the final phase of the Hunter Exam (where the winners are removed and the losers advance), and I expect them to plow on through everything. Right now, they're available for free, streaming from CrunchyRoll.com, but I don't think they allow people outside of the US to watch them there. Anime companies are REALLY picking about what countries can watch their stuff. It's a shame, really.

Hmp. That's annoying. But I still hope I'll be able to watch it.
21.02.2012 - 04:52
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Just finished "Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom." It was an action packed assassin tale. Now I'm trying to decide what's next. Possibly Blood+
17.05.2012 - 02:01
bj_waters

After an April Fool's Joke took on life and a Twitter trend exploded, it's official: Toonami is back!

http://www.adultswim.com/shows/toonami/index.html

I, for one, am particularly excited for this. Not necessarily because I prefer to watch my anime on TV (I don't even have Cartoon Network anymore), but because it's an opportunity for other people to be introduced to anime, just like Toonami did for me over ten years ago (geez). While I'll understand if it starts out as a nostalgia block (I believe Nickelodeon's been doing something like that), I'd kind of like to see it pick up new shows to bring in the new kids, like Gundam AGE, Fairy Tail, or Digimon Xros Wars. If we want anime to continue to succeed, then we need new blood, a new generation who has gotten tired of Pokemon and Bakugan and need something meatier. I want to see Toonami take chances again. Maybe that's asking for lightning in a bottle, but lightening can strike twice.

Other thoughts? (inb4 "dubs are lame/watch anime online" and other narrow-minded thoughts from diehard sub fanatics who don't want to see things change and grow.)
17.05.2012 - 03:11
InnerSelf
proofread free
Finished episode 490 of One Piece and was really impressed, Oda is a genius !
What I have on my PC and need to watch (after my exams) : Ergo Proxy, really psyched about it after reading nothing but great reviews for it
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.06.2012 - 00:53
BreadGod
Account deleted
11.06.2012 - 21:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 01:54
Serial Experiments Lain

I finished the series an hour ago I think, started watching it yesterday. MIND STATE: FUCKED
But, I don't know man... The ending left me quite depressed. I hardly even know where that feeling came from or why. I guess it's because Lain's fate is so cold and abrupt, almost a desperate vibe at times. At some point I thought "well, shit will get back to normal, right? a better future for her? everyone happy?"... But nah, the series were all "nah dude, we are going to FUCK your mind all the way and leave you with the feeling that nothing will ever matter!" in my ass.

But yeah... the bottom line is: It's quite a masterpiece. I really loved it even though I felt (feel) like shit afterwards. I knew about it for a few years ago and you reminded me to check it out so thanks... I think I got something in my eye.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.06.2012 - 04:47
bj_waters

Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.06.2012 at 21:13

Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 01:54
Serial Experiments Lain

I finished the series an hour ago I think, started watching it yesterday. MIND STATE: FUCKED
But, I don't know man... The ending left me quite depressed. I hardly even know where that feeling came from or why. I guess it's because Lain's fate is so cold and abrupt, almost a desperate vibe at times. At some point I thought "well, shit will get back to normal, right? a better future for her? everyone happy?"... But nah, the series were all "nah dude, we are going to FUCK your mind all the way and leave you with the feeling that nothing will ever matter!" in my ass.

But yeah... the bottom line is: It's quite a masterpiece. I really loved it even though I felt (feel) like shit afterwards. I knew about it for a few years ago and you reminded me to check it out so thanks... I think I got something in my eye.

I know that you weren't necessarily asking for recommendations, if you like that . . . . . . feel . . . . then maybe you'd like Kino's Journey and Now and Then, Here and There. Both of these series don't do the visual mind-trippiness that Lain did, but they're still some gut-wrenching and thought-provoking series. I understand that Paranoia Agent has much of the same thing, but I've never seen it. Anyways, check those out if you want . . . . . more . . . . . . of that. Yeah.
12.06.2012 - 11:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by bj_waters on 12.06.2012 at 04:47

I know that you weren't necessarily asking for recommendations, if you like that . . . . . . feel . . . . then maybe you'd like Kino's Journey and Now and Then, Here and There. Both of these series don't do the visual mind-trippiness that Lain did, but they're still some gut-wrenching and thought-provoking series. I understand that Paranoia Agent has much of the same thing, but I've never seen it. Anyways, check those out if you want . . . . . more . . . . . . of that. Yeah.

There's nothing like feeling like shit during vacations! So I will check those out. I know Kino's Journey since my sister has the DVDs, I haven't seen it befor though so that's gonna be the first one to check. Thanks for the recommendations!
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.09.2012 - 16:02
InnerSelf
proofread free
Watching Monster, a psychological thriller based in 90s Germany. Pretty intense and really intelligent. plus, the ending theme is chilling
----
is not bold enough
28.09.2012 - 01:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Seeing as the woman is still away for another 12 weeks I've downloaded an absolute mass of anime to try and catch up on the medium. Past few days I've watched through both Boogiepop Phantom and Paranoia Agent. Both very enjoyable, Boogiepop is somewhat rather complex, particularly as I wasn't familiar with the backstory. Very enjoyable nonetheless. The style and non-linear story telling was well done on the whole. I probably enjoyed Paranoia Agent more though. Both are similar in the sense that each episode quite often focuses on different characters and has strong psychological and social underpinnings. Paranoia Agent was somewhat more approachable given its humour and less oppressive visual style (no vignetting or muted colours) and whilst it did frequently veer off the rails of reality it had a satisfyingly clear ending, whereas Boogiepop is something I'm going to have to revisit again sometime.

Currently just over the halfway point of Ergo Proxy and am loving it. Very nice, dystopian/cyberpunk/post-apoc sci-fi with some nice philosophical undertones, though nothing that warps the mind; focusing more on a linear story which is very enjoyable. Characters aren't necessarily the best but it doesn't seem to matter too much as each episode so far has been very compelling.

At any rate I've got a crapload to get through: Gantz, Steins;Gate, Haibane Renmei (will finally watch it properly), Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Tatami Galaxy, Gankutsuou, Ghost Hound, Darker Than Black, Mononoke, NieA_7, Kaiba, Gurren Lagann and a whole bunch of random classic OVAs of various stuff like FLCL, Battle Angel etc.

Still open to suggestions of anything that has an intelligent and sci-fi oriented approach and setting such as Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Planetes, Ghost In The Shell etc. Nothing kiddy or cliche.
28.09.2012 - 05:21
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 28.09.2012 at 01:45

Seeing as the woman is still away for another 12 weeks I've downloaded an absolute mass of anime to try and catch up on the medium. Past few days I've watched through both Boogiepop Phantom and Paranoia Agent. Both very enjoyable, Boogiepop is somewhat rather complex, particularly as I wasn't familiar with the backstory. Very enjoyable nonetheless. The style and non-linear story telling was well done on the whole. I probably enjoyed Paranoia Agent more though. Both are similar in the sense that each episode quite often focuses on different characters and has strong psychological and social underpinnings. Paranoia Agent was somewhat more approachable given its humour and less oppressive visual style (no vignetting or muted colours) and whilst it did frequently veer off the rails of reality it had a satisfyingly clear ending, whereas Boogiepop is something I'm going to have to revisit again sometime.

Currently just over the halfway point of Ergo Proxy and am loving it. Very nice, dystopian/cyberpunk/post-apoc sci-fi with some nice philosophical undertones, though nothing that warps the mind; focusing more on a linear story which is very enjoyable. Characters aren't necessarily the best but it doesn't seem to matter too much as each episode so far has been very compelling.

At any rate I've got a crapload to get through: Gantz, Steins;Gate, Haibane Renmei (will finally watch it properly), Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Tatami Galaxy, Gankutsuou, Ghost Hound, Darker Than Black, Mononoke, NieA_7, Kaiba, Gurren Lagann and a whole bunch of random classic OVAs of various stuff like FLCL, Battle Angel etc.

Still open to suggestions of anything that has an intelligent and sci-fi oriented approach and setting such as Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Planetes, Ghost In The Shell etc. Nothing kiddy or cliche.

Yu-Gi-Oh!

(Actually, can you believe that they're on their FOURTH spin-off? And I thought playing cards on motorcycles was bad enough!)

I only watched the first few episodes but Durarara! might be up that alley. Blue Submarine No. 6 is another I'd recommend. Of course, if you need a break from all that seriousness and need a nice parody, check out Irresponsible Captain Tylor. It's a typical space opera, but the hero is a complete slacker, who seems to luck his way through everything (including becoming captain!).
28.09.2012 - 15:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 28.09.2012 at 05:21

Yu-Gi-Oh!

(Actually, can you believe that they're on their FOURTH spin-off? And I thought playing cards on motorcycles was bad enough!)

I only watched the first few episodes but Durarara! might be up that alley. Blue Submarine No. 6 is another I'd recommend. Of course, if you need a break from all that seriousness and need a nice parody, check out Irresponsible Captain Tylor. It's a typical space opera, but the hero is a complete slacker, who seems to luck his way through everything (including becoming captain!).

I actually didn't mind Yu-Gi-Oh! in its first series, but yeah, I can imagine it's a dead horse now.

I'll have a look-see at dem recz.
28.09.2012 - 18:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

I must assume that you don't like Evangelion at all considering how well known it is and you never mention them. Unfortunately I have zero recs for you, I know so very little anime these days... I used to be quite a huge fan but music takes so much of my time already.

Also... There's a fat chance you'll see Kino's Journey sooner than me (my sis has the series box and I still haven't watched them) so tell me what you think about it when you get to it. I recall it's the same director as Serial Experiments Lain, cool.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.09.2012 - 18:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.09.2012 at 18:23

I must assume that you don't like Evangelion at all considering how well known it is and you never mention them. Unfortunately I have zero recs for you, I know so very little anime these days... I used to be quite a huge fan but music takes so much of my time already.

Also... There's a fat chance you'll see Kino's Journey sooner than me (my sis has the series box and I still haven't watched them) so tell me what you think about it when you get to it. I recall it's the same director as Serial Experiments Lain, cool.

Actually it's probably tied for my favourite anime along with Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments Lain

I'll make a point of watching Kino's Journey soon then, maybe next.
28.09.2012 - 18:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 28.09.2012 at 18:36
Actually it's probably tied for my favourite anime along with Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments Lain

Weird! For some reason I thought you didn't like it... Probably because I've never read any of your anime-related post with any mention of Evangelion. Got their latest two movies of the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy, quite enjoyable although to me the series has always been the original anime + end of evangelion, anything else is just the creator not satisfied with himself and that's it. Nowdays I would say my favorite anime are a tie between Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain and Hunter X Hunter.

I find myself enjoying some Tsubasa and xxxHolic stuff too.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.09.2012 - 19:03
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Japanese anime Death Note was ine of the most interesting series I have watched
28.09.2012 - 20:47
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 28.09.2012 at 19:03

If you liked Death Note, the stereotypical recommendation is Code Geass. It is a bit sillier, has big robots, and revolves around political intrigue, but the hero is very similar to Light Yagami: an intelligent guy who gains a supernatural advantage and proceeds to scheme his way to changing the world. (I've always kind of felt that Code Geass was a mashup of Death Note and Gundam.)

But if you're more interested in battles of wit than big robots, then check out Spiral. While I'll admit some of the scenarios are a bit contrived, it's pretty hard to think of an anime that's quite like it, making it a pretty unique gem.

However, if you quite liked the gothic aesthetic, then you might want to look at D. Gray Man. It's more of an action series, but it takes place in a fictional Victorian Age, so the series is filled with goth fashion and design.

Forgive me if you weren't asking for recommendations, but Death Note is kind of considered an "entry level" anime series; people quite often watch it and like it because it isn't like anything they've seen before, but are hesitant to watch more because they don't know what else there is to watch. Hopefully, this helps mitigate the barrier of entry into a truly unique field of entertainment. If not, then pardon my arrogance.
29.09.2012 - 00:48
InnerSelf
proofread free

Ergo Proxy is something else, I probably finished it last month and I keep thinking about how much I enjoyed it, the Atmosphere plus the music are great. I'm not gonna ruin it for you so we'll discuss it once you finish it
----
is not bold enough
29.09.2012 - 14:23
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I thought Ergo Proxy was great too, haven't seen many anime series but that one is a favourite. I've been considering watching one called "Baccano", anyone seen it?
29.09.2012 - 18:25
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 28.09.2012 at 20:47

Written by Guest on 28.09.2012 at 19:03

If you liked Death Note, the stereotypical recommendation is Code Geass. It is a bit sillier, has big robots, and revolves around political intrigue, but the hero is very similar to Light Yagami: an intelligent guy who gains a supernatural advantage and proceeds to scheme his way to changing the world. (I've always kind of felt that Code Geass was a mashup of Death Note and Gundam.)

But if you're more interested in battles of wit than big robots, then check out Spiral. While I'll admit some of the scenarios are a bit contrived, it's pretty hard to think of an anime that's quite like it, making it a pretty unique gem.

However, if you quite liked the gothic aesthetic, then you might want to look at D. Gray Man. It's more of an action series, but it takes place in a fictional Victorian Age, so the series is filled with goth fashion and design.

Forgive me if you weren't asking for recommendations, but Death Note is kind of considered an "entry level" anime series; people quite often watch it and like it because it isn't like anything they've seen before, but are hesitant to watch more because they don't know what else there is to watch. Hopefully, this helps mitigate the barrier of entry into a truly unique field of entertainment. If not, then pardon my arrogance.

Yeah I really liked Death Note and I should mention especially the character light. I always wanted to know more anime like DN and I also watched Vampire BloodLust which I didn't like it that much and also had recommendation to watch Nurato,so I watched the first episodes but it didn't make me that interested that DN did. Then thank you so much for the other ones you have let me know.I'm gonna watch them if I come to find them.I think I'm gonna be more interested in Spiral and D.Gray Man if they were able to use macabre elements well in their stories
29.09.2012 - 19:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think I whined about this before, but I couldn't get past the first two episodes of Code Geass. I don't know why, but I'm quite sensitive to the art style of anime and I find that if the way the characters are drawn unappealing then I find it impossible to buy into it and invest emotions into characters that don't look remotely human. Code Geass for me is probably the worst designed in terms of characters: super triangle chin faces and giant eyes. Generally put off by giant eyes these days as it just makes me think it's made for children and has a rather tacky feel. Naturally I like some disproportion as its indicative of the medium but yeah, style is quite important for me.
29.09.2012 - 19:45
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by R'Vannith on 29.09.2012 at 14:23

I thought Ergo Proxy was great too, haven't seen many anime series but that one is a favourite. I've been considering watching one called "Baccano", anyone seen it?

Baccano is brilliant, don't hesitate and go watch it now. (there's a Hollywood movie that ripped of the concept but I won't mention its name so I don't ruin it for you, although I suspect the concept and the story is derived from some book but I haven't really looked through this) Anyway, check it out now.
----
is not bold enough
30.09.2012 - 00:59
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 29.09.2012 at 18:25

Yeah I really liked Death Note and I should mention especially the character light. I always wanted to know more anime like DN and I also watched Vampire BloodLust which I didn't like it that much and also had recommendation to watch Nurato,so I watched the first episodes but it didn't make me that interested that DN did. Then thank you so much for the other ones you have let me know.I'm gonna watch them if I come to find them.I think I'm gonna be more interested in Spiral and D.Gray Man if they were able to use macabre elements well in their stories

I don't think those two are as macabre as Death Note was. Spiral is rather colorful compared to DN. If you want stuff that has darker content, you might want to look at what !J.O.O.E.! is planning to watch: Paranoia Agent, Kino's Journey, Tekkon Kinkreet (maybe).

Written by Guest on 29.09.2012 at 19:29

I think I whined about this before, but I couldn't get past the first two episodes of Code Geass. I don't know why, but I'm quite sensitive to the art style of anime and I find that if the way the characters are drawn unappealing then I find it impossible to buy into it and invest emotions into characters that don't look remotely human. Code Geass for me is probably the worst designed in terms of characters: super triangle chin faces and giant eyes. Generally put off by giant eyes these days as it just makes me think it's made for children and has a rather tacky feel. Naturally I like some disproportion as its indicative of the medium but yeah, style is quite important for me.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Code Geass's character design (maybe from you). I really didn't have a problem with them, but then I'm a big fan of CLAMP. If you can get past that, the story is pretty complex. What turned me off was the heavy reliance on plot twists, almost one per episode, making it overly melodramatic at times.
30.09.2012 - 03:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I feel weird. I like some CLAMP stuff like Tsubasa, xxxHolic... shit I even remember I enjoyed Sakura Card Captors! xD But somehow I don't like the design on Code Geasss either, it's too... extreme comapred to the others
----
Rod, let me love you.