‹‹ Back to the Recreation Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28
Users visited: 222  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by on 17.05.2006 at 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.

Page 25 of 28

Mr. Doctor
Skandino

30.09.2012 at 03:44
I feel weird. I like some CLAMP stuff like Tsubasa, xxxHolic... shit I even remember I enjoyed Sakura Card Captors! xD But somehow I don't like the design on Code Geasss either, it's too... extreme comapred to the others
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

30.09.2012 at 03:49
Written by Mr. Doctor on 30.09.2012 at 03:44

I feel weird. I like some CLAMP stuff like Tsubasa, xxxHolic... shit I even remember I enjoyed Sakura Card Captors! xD But somehow I don't like the design on Code Geasss either, it's too... extreme comapred to the others

Ah Card Captors. I remember watching the dubbed version many years ago back when they used to show Tenchi, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z and the like on morning TV. It was quite enjoyable but apparently lots of content was cut out from it like the boy who had teleiophilia.
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

30.09.2012 at 03:52
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.09.2012 at 03:49
It was quite enjoyable but apparently lots of content was cut out from it like the boy who had teleiophilia.

I don't remember that from SCC but I definitely remember the school girl who had quite a serious crush on her teacher.
I remember some kids thought it was gay to watch such anime... But hey, I learned that I liked girls thanks to that one!
----
Rod, let me love you.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

30.09.2012 at 03:54
Written by Mr. Doctor on 30.09.2012 at 03:52

I don't remember that from SCC but I definitely remember the school girl who had quite a serious crush on her teacher.
I remember some kids thought it was gay to watch such anime... But hey, I learned that I liked girls thanks to that one!

Did you have a crush on Sakura then? : P
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

30.09.2012 at 03:59
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.09.2012 at 03:54
Did you have a crush on Sakura then? : P

Hell yeah I did Also learned I generally dig somewhat shorter hair on girls. At least shorter than the regular long haired girls.
----
Rod, let me love you.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

30.09.2012 at 04:02
Written by Mr. Doctor on 30.09.2012 at 03:59

Hell yeah I did Also learned I generally dig somewhat shorter hair on girls. At least shorter than the regular long haired girls.

Hell, there's nothing wrong with finding anime characters hot. Amano Megumi from Urotsukidoji was probably my first anime crush.
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

30.09.2012 at 04:10
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.09.2012 at 04:02

Hell, there's nothing wrong with finding anime characters hot. Amano Megumi from Urotsukidoji was probably my first anime crush.

Just saw some pics of her (one of them NSFW) and yeah, I dig that hairstyle too. Sometimes lack of simmetry just rocks like that. :3

EDIT: did you write the anime name without copying it? Because it looks tough as hell. xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

30.09.2012 at 04:13
Written by Mr. Doctor on 30.09.2012 at 04:10

Just saw some pics of her (one of them NSFW) and yeah, I dig that hairstyle too. Sometimes lack of simmetry just rocks like that. :3

EDIT: did you write the anime name without copying it? Because it looks tough as hell. xD

Haha, yeah I know the name off by heart as I'm very familiar with the films : P

The pics on Google aren't that great really but she's pretty hot. She's a total perv as well and quite happy to receive tentacles in certain places...
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

30.09.2012 at 04:16
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.09.2012 at 04:13

Haha, yeah I know the name off by heart as I'm very familiar with the films : P
The pics on Google aren't that great really but she's pretty hot. She's a total perv as well and quite happy to receive tentacles in certain places...

The most decent one (Yeah folks it's NSFW)
Something I noticed about older anime (read: 80s) is how they weren't shooting for cuteness in terms of faces and stuff... It looked more serious. That's cool considering so many others nowdays.

(First time We've been posting so much without going off-topic... Holy shit)
----
Rod, let me love you.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

30.09.2012 at 04:20
Written by Mr. Doctor on 30.09.2012 at 04:16

Something I noticed about older anime is how they weren't shooting for cuteness in terms of faces and stuff... It looked more serious. That's cool considering so many others nowdays.

Yeah that's a good pic Actually a lot of the ones on Google are from some of the later seasons and version of the series where the art style (and general quality of the show) really plummeted, so she doesn't look the same.

Yeah I think the whole Kawaii thing must have come much later. Urotsukidoji is anything but cute... fairly sure it was the first anime to feature tentacle rape.
----
bj_waters

30.09.2012 at 07:44
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.09.2012 at 04:20

Something I noticed about older anime is how they weren't shooting for cuteness in terms of faces and stuff... It looked more serious. That's cool considering so many others nowdays.

Yeah I think the whole Kawaii thing must have come much later.

Anime is not immune to trends, that's for sure. Most of the 70s and 80s were very sci-fi focused, probably brought on by influential films (2001: Space Odyssey & Star Wars) as well as successful anime series (Space Battleship Yamato, Mobile Suit Gundam), none of which was particularly kawaii. It started to pick up in the 90s, mostly brought on by the explosion magical girl shows thanks to Sailor Moon's success. However, the whole "cute" wave really picked up around 2002, thanks to Azumanga Daioh, and we've had to suffer "cute girls doing things" for the past ten years. It's always a bit of a shame to see something good propagate a bad wave of mediocrity.

However, I imagine some might argue that Japan has always had a "culture of cute," considering that Sanrio (the makers of Hello Kitty) started in the freaking 60s. Who can say?
R'Vannith
Spiralmind

30.09.2012 at 14:44
Written by InnerSelf on 29.09.2012 at 19:45

Baccano is brilliant, don't hesitate and go watch it now. (there's a Hollywood movie that ripped of the concept but I won't mention its name so I don't ruin it for you, although I suspect the concept and the story is derived from some book but I haven't really looked through this) Anyway, check it out now.

In that case I'll give it a go right away, it looked like something a bit different especially the setting judging from the trailer I saw.
nana.MD
Star-Queen

02.10.2012 at 19:59
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.09.2012 at 04:20

Yeah that's a good pic Actually a lot of the ones on Google are from some of the later seasons and version of the series where the art style (and general quality of the show) really plummeted, so she doesn't look the same.

Yeah I think the whole Kawaii thing must have come much later. Urotsukidoji is anything but cute... fairly sure it was the first anime to feature tentacle rape.

I guess it's because the audience is different now...girls and children are getting into anime early and maybe before it was guys and there was nothing cute about them.
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
BudDa

11.10.2012 at 16:50

Baccano is brilliant, don't hesitate and go watch it now. (there's a Hollywood movie that ripped of the concept but I won't mention its name so I don't ruin it for you, although I suspect the concept and the story is derived from some book but I haven't really looked through this) Anyway, check it out now.

I got it recently together with Fate Zero and Steins Gate. Started with Fate Zero. Baccano is next on my list. :-)
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
InnerSelf
R.I.P Syria

11.10.2012 at 17:20
Written by BudDa on 11.10.2012 at 16:50

I got it recently together with Fate Zero and Steins Gate. Started with Fate Zero. Baccano is next on my list. :-)

Both are on my to-watch list.
I'm watching Hellsing Ultimatum now and I'm liking it a lot, I'm still on episode 2 so I hope the gore will escalate more next I'm probably going to watch Black Lagoon or continue from where I stopped in Monster
----

He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
BudDa

11.10.2012 at 17:26
Written by InnerSelf on 11.10.2012 at 17:20

I'm watching Hellsing Ultimatum now and I'm liking it a lot, I'm still on episode 2 so I hope the gore will escalate more next I'm probably going to watch Black Lagoon or continue from where I stopped in Monster

Ooh ooh, Hellsing Ultimate. I gotta get that as well. I enjoyed Hellsing. Is it a continuation? Never watched Black Lagoon
----
InnerSelf
R.I.P Syria

11.10.2012 at 17:33
Written by BudDa on 11.10.2012 at 17:26

Written by InnerSelf on 11.10.2012 at 17:20

Ooh ooh, Hellsing Ultimate. I gotta get that as well. I enjoyed Hellsing. Is it a continuation? Never watched Black Lagoon

Hellsing Ultimate (OAV)
"It follows the manga storyline more closely than the anime series."

Black Lagoon is about modern pirates I guess, I've been told it's one of the best fiction-less animes around
----

He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
BudDa

11.10.2012 at 17:37
Written by InnerSelf on 11.10.2012 at 17:33

Hellsing Ultimate (OAV)
"It follows the manga storyline more closely than the anime series."

Black Lagoon is about modern pirates I guess, I've been told it's one of the best fiction-less animes around

I have just checked out Black Lagoon. Looks like something I'll enjoy. Lemme get that first. Thanx
----
BlueMobius
Ronin

30.10.2012 at 05:38
Any Gundam fans out there?
I'm currently re-watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam and I'm about to start watching Gundam Seed. My favorite Gundam series is Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team.
bj_waters

30.10.2012 at 08:54
Written by BlueMobius on 30.10.2012 at 05:38

Any Gundam fans out there?
I'm currently re-watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam and I'm about to start watching Gundam Seed. My favorite Gundam series is Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team.

I'm kind of a Gundam fan, mostly because of Toonami, where I watched Gundam Wing and 08th MS Team. I've since seen Gundam 00, the first Gundam series, Zeta Gundam, and Gundam F91. I've also seen bits of Gundam Seed, ZZ Gundam, Gundam AGE, and Gundam Unicorn. I intend to watch all of them, because I like how they're very much "plot first," for better or for worse. I tend to find the UC timeline a bit too angsty for me (especially Zeta!), so my favorite is Wing, followed by 00.

I know that Gundam isn't for everyone, but I'd rather take melodrama with huge mechs than anything that takes place in a high school these days.
BlueMobius
Ronin

25.12.2012 at 18:15
Written by bj_waters on 30.10.2012 at 08:54

I'm kind of a Gundam fan, mostly because of Toonami, where I watched Gundam Wing and 08th MS Team. I've since seen Gundam 00, the first Gundam series, Zeta Gundam, and Gundam F91. I've also seen bits of Gundam Seed, ZZ Gundam, Gundam AGE, and Gundam Unicorn. I intend to watch all of them, because I like how they're very much "plot first," for better or for worse. I tend to find the UC timeline a bit too angsty for me (especially Zeta!), so my favorite is Wing, followed by 00.

I know that Gundam isn't for everyone, but I'd rather take melodrama with huge mechs than anything that takes place in a high school these days.

I'm not too big on Wing. It was the first Gundam series I watched back in the late '90s, so it has a special place, but it's just missing some of the depth and a lot of the characters are hard to relate to.

I'm in the second season of Gundam 00 right now and I'm liking it a lot. Seed was OK, but it draws a little too much of the plot from the original Mobile Suit Gundam for my taste.

I just acquired Zeta and Unicorn so I will watch those soon.
LordHypnos

24.01.2013 at 20:49
Recently, I've watched Blade Of The Immortal, Yu Yu Hakusho (best anime ever), Death Note, Fairy Tail, Shaman King, Gundam Wing, and the first Yu-Gi-Oh! (uncut and japanese w/ portuguese subtitles). But I'm still looking for some great animes, could anyone recommend me any? ps: Don't recommend me Evangelion, One Piece or Naruto (I hated OP and Evangelion, and I already know Naruto).
bj_waters

24.01.2013 at 21:29
Written by LordHypnos on 24.01.2013 at 20:49

Recently, I've watched Blade Of The Immortal, Yu Yu Hakusho (best anime ever), Death Note, Fairy Tail, Shaman King, Gundam Wing, and the first Yu-Gi-Oh! (uncut and japanese w/ portuguese subtitles). But I'm still looking for some great animes, could anyone recommend me any? ps: Don't recommend me Evangelion, One Piece or Naruto (I hated OP and Evangelion, and I already know Naruto).

If you liked YuYu Hakusho, you might like Bleach. It's another long-running action series, but it's by the same director and it has a similar punky/scrappy hero. If you liked Gundam Wing, you might like Gundam 00. It's newer, and takes place in a different timeline, but it has a lot of similar ideas, so it's worth a look if you want more mecha. Other recommendations off the top of my head would be some classics (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Big O, FLCL, Outlaw Star) and a few underrated gems (Scrapped Princess, Shangri-La, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Mezzo DSA, Level E).

In any case, you might want to check out Anime Planet, which is a website that provides recommendations based on other shows you've seen. Just look up a show you like and check out what the users there recommend.
LordHypnos

24.01.2013 at 21:40
Written by bj_waters on 24.01.2013 at 21:29

Written by LordHypnos on 24.01.2013 at 20:49

If you liked YuYu Hakusho, you might like Bleach. It's another long-running action series, but it's by the same director and it has a similar punky/scrappy hero. If you liked Gundam Wing, you might like Gundam 00. It's newer, and takes place in a different timeline, but it has a lot of similar ideas, so it's worth a look if you want more mecha. Other recommendations off the top of my head would be some classics (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Big O, FLCL, Outlaw Star) and a few underrated gems (Scrapped Princess, Shangri-La, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Mezzo DSA, Level E).

In any case, you might want to check out Anime Planet, which is a website that provides recommendations based on other shows you've seen. Just look up a show you like and check out what the users there recommend.

Fullmetal Alchemist, fuck yeah! I've watched it on TV, but it was censored. All the bloody scenes were cut (worse than 4kids' cuts), but it was still great! All the episodes were shown. Didn't miss any of them. Oh, and thanks for the recommendations. I've already watched Bleach, but only a few episodes (I watched the first two sagas, and then I jumped to Ichigo vs Grimmjow fight, then Ulquiorra vs Ichigo, then I stopped ).
LordHypnos

24.01.2013 at 21:46
Did anybody watch Captain Tsubasa? Here in Brazil, I suspect it suffered from censorship, because the episode that shows the Japan vs Brazil match NEVER aired on TV (possibly because Japan wins the match).
bj_waters

25.01.2013 at 02:08
Written by LordHypnos on 24.01.2013 at 21:40

Fullmetal Alchemist, fuck yeah! I've watched it on TV, but it was censored. All the bloody scenes were cut (worse than 4kids' cuts), but it was still great! All the episodes were shown. Didn't miss any of them. Oh, and thanks for the recommendations. I've already watched Bleach, but only a few episodes (I watched the first two sagas, and then I jumped to Ichigo vs Grimmjow fight, then Ulquiorra vs Ichigo, then I stopped ).

I don't blame you for quitting Bleach. The story really does meander around a lot, and the filler side-story arcs don't help things.

If you liked Fullmetal Alchemist, you should look into Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Technically, it's a retelling that's more faithful to the original manga, but it's still totally worth checking out. You also might like D. Gray Man.

Written by LordHypnos on 24.01.2013 at 21:46

Did anybody watch Captain Tsubasa? Here in Brazil, I suspect it suffered from censorship, because the episode that shows the Japan vs Brazil match NEVER aired on TV (possibly because Japan wins the match).

You know, that never came to North America (not really a surprise; we've never been as big on soccer as I would have liked), but I did know that it lit up some of the European and South American countries. In fact, cartoons about sports never work in the US. You'd think it would given how ingrained sports are around here, but even Eyeshield 21 couldn't get any traction. The only reason Space Jam worked was because it was the Looney Tunes AND Michael Jordan.
Seita
Account deleted
  31.01.2013 at 02:53
I am not overly familiar with anime although I own and absolutely adore the show Mushishi which is, in my opinion, a beautifully imaginative and pagan experience unlike anything else out there. Is there anyone here that could recommend me something comparable, perhaps?
bj_waters

31.01.2013 at 09:56
Written by Guest on 31.01.2013 at 02:53

I am not overly familiar with anime although I own and absolutely adore the show Mushishi which is, in my opinion, a beautifully imaginative and pagan experience unlike anything else out there. Is there anyone here that could recommend me something comparable, perhaps?

Mmmm. Not the usual entry point for anime; recommendations from there would be quite the challenge. I admit that I haven't seen Mushishi, but I am generally aware of what it's about and that the anime is lauded for its pacing and animation. If you want something that's visually striking, you might want to go with the anime adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo, also known as Gankutsuou. If you want something that's a little more in tune with Japanese creatures and mythology, you might want to try Tactics or Natsume's Book of Friends (also known as Natsume Yujin-cho).

Anime tends to be full of spastic characters and dynamic scenes that it can be quite the challenge to find something with more deliberate pacing that isn't horror. At this point, what's left tends to be called "slice-of-life" dramas, but they tend to boil down to "cute girls doing something/nothing" (the only one of this type that I could possibly recommend is Moyasimon, which is just weird in general.)

One website that might be worth your time is called Anime Planet, which offers recommendations based on any anime series. Here's the page for Mushishi; scroll down a ways to find other people's suggestions.

I hope that, somewhere in my walls of text, you find something helpful.
Seita
Account deleted
  31.01.2013 at 14:43
Written by bj_waters on 31.01.2013 at 09:56

Written by Guest on 31.01.2013 at 02:53

Mmmm. Not the usual entry point for anime; recommendations from there would be quite the challenge. I admit that I haven't seen Mushishi, but I am generally aware of what it's about and that the anime is lauded for its pacing and animation. If you want something that's visually striking, you might want to go with the anime adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo, also known as Gankutsuou. If you want something that's a little more in tune with Japanese creatures and mythology, you might want to try Tactics or Natsume's Book of Friends (also known as Natsume Yujin-cho).

Anime tends to be full of spastic characters and dynamic scenes that it can be quite the challenge to find something with more deliberate pacing that isn't horror. At this point, what's left tends to be called "slice-of-life" dramas, but they tend to boil down to "cute girls doing something/nothing" (the only one of this type that I could possibly recommend is Moyasimon, which is just weird in general.)

One website that might be worth your time is called Anime Planet, which offers recommendations based on any anime series. Here's the page for Mushishi; scroll down a ways to find other people's suggestions.

I hope that, somewhere in my walls of text, you find something helpful.

Hey, thanks a lot for the thorough response here! Gankutsuou looks pretty fantastic just based off of the screenshots I saw online - the animation seems to have a very unique, creative quality about it. It looks like Natsume Yujincho is one of the series they recommend on Anime Planet for Mushishi fans as well so I think that's the next one I will go with. Horror anime, you say? I absolutely love horror films and wasn't really even aware that there were horror animes out there - recommendations, haha?
bj_waters

31.01.2013 at 22:35
Written by Guest on 31.01.2013 at 14:43

Hey, thanks a lot for the thorough response here! Gankutsuou looks pretty fantastic just based off of the screenshots I saw online - the animation seems to have a very unique, creative quality about it. It looks like Natsume Yujincho is one of the series they recommend on Anime Planet for Mushishi fans as well so I think that's the next one I will go with. Horror anime, you say? I absolutely love horror films and wasn't really even aware that there were horror animes out there - recommendations, haha?

I admit that I'm not a fan of horror. In terms of anime, the closest I get to is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which is more horror/action. Looking down the list of horror anime on Anime Planet, I'm sure you'll find something. Just bear in mind that "Higurashi" and "When They Cry" is part of the same franchise.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Login or register to post here.