Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
01.05.2014 - 01:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Anyone here is following Hunter x Hunter?
For me this current arc is the most epic thing I've ever saw. I can't wait for it to end so I can watch it all again uninterruptedly in a journey of epicness.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.06.2014 - 20:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Discussion moved to avoid further off-topicness.

Written by Guest on 02.06.2014 at 20:28

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.06.2014 at 20:25

Right next to Duvet, the first opening of Brotherhood, "Again" has to be one of my top 5 anime openings of all time. Surprisingly sexy voice. I usually dislike female japanese vocals as they go too highpitched but that song has a nice balance.

I don't think I've seen Brotherhood, just the 50 or so episodes of the first anime, (the last one I saw being where he ends up in the parallel world). Worth watching?

The thing goes like this: They made the first anime at the same time as the manga. Which resulted in the anime being a bit different. Different storylines got more developed than others and other stuff.

Then they decided to make Brotherhood which follows the manga much more closely. The opinion varies on which one is better but both parties agree that both are great for different reasons. Brotherhood looks better since it's newer, has a bit more action thrown into it as well. The first one has more... let's say personal stuff or whatever.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2014 - 20:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sounds all right. I'll give it a go.
03.06.2014 - 00:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.06.2014 at 20:20

Also.. Does anybody here have any love for Hunter X Hunter?

Hell yes. Damn, those sacred 20 minutes of episode on tuesdays are the highlights of my weeks.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
04.06.2014 - 01:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Speaking on HxH last week there was Gon x Pitou
And this week the manga restarts

My life couldn't be more complete now
----
- Reimu Hakurei
18.06.2014 - 00:40
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Just watched the first season of Gunslinger Girl, and it's pretty good.
Reading the reviews they say the second season ruins everything and that I shouldn't see it. Is it true?

EDIT: Fuck the reviews. The 2nd season is far better than the 1st
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.07.2014 - 05:13
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Well I'm not an expert on this. I just finished watching an anime called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and it is probably the best on its kind.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
06.07.2014 - 23:47
bj_waters
Written by Maco on 06.07.2014 at 05:13

Well I'm not an expert on this. I just finished watching an anime called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and it is probably the best on its kind.

I've been watching anime for quite a while, and I totally agree. Gurren Lagann is all kinds of amazing. I would recommend watching it again in about a year or two. You'll be surprised how much more you'll notice. In fact, I actually try to rewatch it on a yearly basis, usually around October (my birth month). I also highly recommend finding the soundtrack. So many feels, just on the music alone. Good stuff, all around.
07.07.2014 - 00:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^What's this about? Gurren Lagan?
----
- Reimu Hakurei
07.07.2014 - 00:23
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Karlabos on 07.07.2014 at 00:15

Mecha/action. Better than Evangelion.
----
07.07.2014 - 05:48
bj_waters
Written by Karlabos on 07.07.2014 at 00:15

It's a sci-fi/mecha series so full of manliness, you will grow a beard just by watching it. Basically, it's the Manowar/Amon Amarth of anime, but about big robots and drills, instead of swords and vikings and leather. You would be extremely hard pressed to find an anime series as epic as Gurren Lagann.

Written by Maco on 07.07.2014 at 00:23
Better than Evangelion.

While those might be considered fighting words in some places around the internet, I COMPLETELY AGREE!

For those who have seen Evangelion but not Gurren Lagann: it's also made by Studio Gainax, but it comes from a completely different mindset. Imagine if Shinji grew a pair, ran out of bubblegum, and starting facing all of his problems with the bravado of Evel Knievel. The result is absolutely amazing.
07.07.2014 - 15:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I suppose I'll have to watch Gurren Lagann then.
01.12.2014 - 03:50
Maco
Pvt Funderground
So I was watching this anime called Code Geass... Some people said that is one of the best anime ever. I really can't agree with that. But one thing is sure, It's totally amazing.
----
05.12.2014 - 11:31
musclassia
staff
Saw the movie Tokyo Godfathers the other day - very strange but enjoyable film
19.03.2015 - 08:22
Deathmaster
I'm a bit fresh concerning anime. With that said I enjoy it, mostly sci-fi like Ghost in the Shell, Serial Experiments, and... That's all I've seen atm. Still wanting to check out Gunadam, and Neon genesis evangalion.
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
03.04.2015 - 01:28
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
HiaifhraljghjASK
Monogatari Series is so good. *.*
I can't believe I was living without having seen it until now. I was surviving only. That's what I was doing
----
- Reimu Hakurei
02.05.2015 - 05:17
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Karlabos on 03.04.2015 at 01:28

HiaifhraljghjASK
I can't believe I was living without having seen it until now. I was surviving only. That's what I was doing

I was watching the series until Monogatari Second Season. I don't know if there is a sequel.
----
02.05.2015 - 05:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Maco on 02.05.2015 at 05:17

Written by Karlabos on 03.04.2015 at 01:28

HiaifhraljghjASK

I was watching the series until Monogatari Second Season. I don't know if there is a sequel.

It depends on which seasons you watched before that.
In order of release there's Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari, 2nd season, Hanamonogatari then Tsukimonogatari, it's also the order I watched
But it's not the chronological order of the facts. In fact the chronological order is impossible to watch because the first part of the manga never got released in anime version =p
So the best thing is to watch on this order, I believe.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
02.05.2015 - 05:50
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Karlabos on 02.05.2015 at 05:38

Hanamonogatari then Tsukimonogatari

Those two are the ones that I have to watch. So it really doesn't matter the freaking order? Welp, fuck me. How is the story going to end?
----
02.05.2015 - 16:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Maco on 02.05.2015 at 05:50

Written by Karlabos on 02.05.2015 at 05:38

Hanamonogatari then Tsukimonogatari

Those two are the ones that I have to watch. So it really doesn't matter the freaking order? Welp, fuck me. How is the story going to end?

In fact it's not really that important, I think. All the seasons have a distinct start and ending point and can be a story by itself, although it would help watching Bake before Neko because of some references here and there, as well as would help watching everything you already did before Tsuki for the same reason

End? I'm more waiting for the beginning, that they didn't release xD
----
- Reimu Hakurei
12.05.2015 - 20:29
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I don't really say this kind of stuff. But Kaiji is the best anime ever.
----
13.05.2015 - 03:42
bj_waters
Written by Maco on 12.05.2015 at 20:29

I don't really say this kind of stuff. But Kaiji is the best anime ever.

That's a strange way to spell "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann".

(Seriously, though, I actually haven't gotten to Kaiji, yet, but I understand it's amazing.)
13.05.2015 - 04:35
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by bj_waters on 13.05.2015 at 03:42

That's a strange way to spell "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann".

(Seriously, though, I actually haven't gotten to Kaiji, yet, but I understand it's amazing.)

Tengen Toppa is the best Mecha Anime ever, but Kaiji is the best anime in general. It's so fucking amazing. :]
----
06.06.2015 - 05:00
Sentinel65
I used to be much more into anime, my favorite was Fullmetal Alchemist, although I also watched Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. Nowadays the only one I still follow, which I started sometime last year, is Attack On Titan. I find the storyline to be really unique and it hooked me in.
06.06.2015 - 07:26
ixsetf
I am a fairly casual anime fan, I've completed a bit over 100 series, and there are 50 some more that I haven't bothered to finish. Its hard for me to say what my favorite series are, but some that I particularly like include the Monogatari series, Higurashi, Nichijou, Paranoia Agent, and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.
13.06.2015 - 02:46
Mad Arab666
I just finished watching samurai champloo again. It's pretty darn good and I highly recommend it. Trying to find my next anime to watch. Might try Blood+.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
06.07.2015 - 02:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Currently watching "Welcome to NHK" and what a touching show

And each time I feel the main character is an anime version of myself. Most of the time I keep thinking "This guy is pathetic, what is he doing?" then I remember "Oh, I already did that before"

EDIT: And finished. And the ending was sooo good. And I feel like I lost my best friend now. It's over
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.07.2015 - 10:24
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Karlabos on 06.07.2015 at 02:26

Currently watching "Welcome to NHK" and what a touching show
And each time I feel the main character is an anime version of myself. Most of the time I keep thinking "This guy is pathetic, what is he doing?" then I remember "Oh, I already did that before"

So, you are a paranoic that thinks everything happens because of a conspiracy?

I watched the show too, it was very nice and somehow teached me to appreciate a little bit more the people that surrounds me.

You should watch the manga too, the story is different there.
----
10.07.2015 - 04:05
bj_waters
Written by Maco on 09.07.2015 at 10:24

watch the manga

Sorry to get all English Major on you, but this makes my head hurt a little if I think about it too much. I know what you mean, and I'm sure I've made several similar mistakes myself. Still, I figured I should allow you to be proud of what you've done.
10.07.2015 - 04:10
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by bj_waters on 10.07.2015 at 04:05

Written by Maco on 09.07.2015 at 10:24

watch the manga

Sorry to get all English Major on you, but this makes my head hurt a little if I think about it too much. I know what you mean, and I'm sure I've made several similar mistakes myself. Still, I figured I should allow you to be proud of what you've done.

Well
You can watch how well designed the characters are...
----