Metal Storm logo
Anime

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 05:02
This topic is for the discussion of Anime - The Japanese animation which is either loved or hated by the majority of movie-going individuals.

My experience of the art form is limited however, only being familiar with the films "Princess Mononoke" "Spirited Away" & "Howls Moving Castle".

So if there are any Anime experts out there, please feel free to jump straight into this thread and recommend me some movies that I can't live without!

Cheers.
26.07.2006 - 01:05
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Anime is a large genre, like Drama or Comedy and what not.
Which as in those genres, there is a lot of bad, most of it actually.
I've seen some really horrid anime like the Final Fantasy movies and such.
But not everything can be as beautiful as "Spirited Away" and "Akira".
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
26.07.2006 - 05:56
Gathering Storm
Account deleted
I'm confused... can anyone tell me the name of spirited away in spanish?? I think I saw it and loved it but I'm not sure
26.07.2006 - 06:27
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
It had a girl whose parents turned into pigs and came to a place ran by frogs?..really simplifying here, not giving spoilers or real plot details
Cos that's the movie.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
26.07.2006 - 10:02
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.05.2006 at 05:14

The Anime you must see are in this order
1. Fullmetal Alchemist (because of the great story)
2. Trigun (because, well its a great show with some good humor and some good story driven ephisodes)
3. Cowboy Bebop (because its the anime that has everything and more. This show has some major class)
4. Hellsing (very short show, but its the best vampire anime ever made in my opinion)
5. Samurai Champloo ( because its got the best characters out of any show ive seen)

I would also agree with all these recommendations except for Full Metal Alchemist, only because I Haven't seen it as of yet... However, I'll hopefully be able to see it when i get the opportunity.
26.07.2006 - 12:08
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Guest on 26.07.2006 at 05:56

I'm confused... can anyone tell me the name of spirited away in spanish?? I think I saw it and loved it but I'm not sure

El viaje de Chihiro?
08.08.2006 - 22:35
Alouqua
Account deleted
Eddie yeah, that's right!
Right now i'm addicted to Get Backers and is all Kazuki fault! and well I saw again the movie "X" and I cry at the end... as always! I love the movie but I'm not sure about the anime-- I prefer the movie
09.08.2006 - 01:05
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
The record of lodoss war, the best anime ever.
I don't like much the anime because it could be very stupid (this only for anime like love hina) but i like some of them like FlCl, Trigun, cowboy bebop...
10.08.2006 - 22:05
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
@Alouqua, ah, thanks for confirming it

I recently saw Vampire Hunter D again, still like it, even after so many times And I also started again with Kino's Journey. Thats really something to check out as well if you like tranquillity, but a story (or stories) that draws you in completely.

This is the opening sequence for Kino's Journey, for whats it worth well, at least you will have an idea what it looks like, there are also some parts of episodes on youtube that you can check out.
12.08.2006 - 10:17
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Full Metal Panic,DBZ,Trigun,Berserk,Hellsing just some of my favorites;D
20.08.2006 - 14:28
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I can really agree with Berserk. The anime is good, but it can't hold a candle to the manga.
More than 10 years running and it hasn't dampered one bit. And the cool thing is, it's still going.

Ya just gotta read the manga
20.08.2006 - 14:55
Vintervarg
Account deleted
My favorite animes are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing, Appleseed...

If you can recommend me some great anime MOVIE (not series), I'll be gratefull.
20.08.2006 - 16:19
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.08.2006 at 14:55

My favorite animes are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing, Appleseed...

If you can recommend me some great anime MOVIE (not series), I'll be gratefull.

The movie of Cowboy Bebop is excellent. And well, if you like the stuff from Studio Ghibli, all the movies of them are great, take a look at this thread.

I will get back to you a little bit later for more recommendations.

EDIT
Here I am again, well, other movies you can check out are Steamboy, Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. I enjoyed those ones.
21.08.2006 - 21:42
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.08.2006 at 14:28

I can really agree with Berserk. The anime is good, but it can't hold a candle to the manga.
More than 10 years running and it hasn't dampered one bit. And the cool thing is, it's still going.

Ya just gotta read the manga

I too have read the manga.It is really good,god Berserk kicks ass.I must also add another favorite Anime of mine,and that anime is Case Closed.
21.08.2006 - 22:36
ylside
Staff
Anybody into Gantz ? I saw three or four episodes and it seemed really interesting, Is the manga different/better than the anime ?
22.08.2006 - 09:21
Basso
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 21.08.2006 at 22:36

Anybody into Gantz ? I saw three or four episodes and it seemed really interesting, Is the manga different/better than the anime ?

The gantz anime is horrible stop watching it NOW! Find the manga instead it is 1000 times better and actually really good, I really recommend the MANGA to you.

I would also like to recommend you all HAJIME NO IPPO! It is an anime about Ippo a boxer, and his life as a pro boxer. It is really really awesome, both the anime and manga is pure genious, in the same class as Berserk way up there!
22.08.2006 - 16:31
ylside
Staff
Excellent, thanks, I already found torrents to Gantz's manga so it's great
24.08.2006 - 03:47
Alouqua
Account deleted

Well I have seen some epis but not the whole anime, and I haven't read the manga neither... i like it but I have to admit that I didn't understand the end... may be just because i haven't seen all the episodes... But I like that they are "normal" people, like Kei Kurono,... and i hate that BIG boobs... (just my opinion..)
24.08.2006 - 12:09
ylside
Staff
I like them *bouncing*.
24.08.2006 - 22:22
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.08.2006 at 11:19

Written by Guest on 24.08.2006 at 03:47

Well I have seen some epis but not the whole anime, and I haven't read the manga neither... i like it but I have to admit that I didn't understand the end... may be just because i haven't seen all the episodes... But I like that they are "normal" people, like Kei Kurono,... and i hate that BIG boobs... (just my opinion..)

I'm kind of used to the whole big boobs thing..and well mostly every anime there are girls with big boobs..it's just how most anime girls are .. and most of the time it's also done on purpose ..just for being funny ^_^

well actually he was probably reffering to a chick called "Tits" or "Biig boobs" in the Gantz manga / anime.

On a sidenote : Everyone intressted in manga and is willing to learn how to use IRC for filetransfers (or already know) should check this site out:
http://gotlurk.net/

This site has huuuge amounts of manga for thoose intressted!
26.08.2006 - 18:19
Eight
Shapeshifter
Anyone seen Trinity Blood ? I think new series are coming soon well anyways, one of the best animes ive ever seen.

Heres something from IMDB bout it:
The background is in the distant future after the destruction brought about by Armageddon. The war between the vampires and the humans continue to persist. In order to protect the humans from the vampires, Vatican has to rely on other allies to counter the situation. The protagonist, a priest called Peter Abel Nightroad, travels through the countries as a representative for the Vaticans. However, he is also part of "Ax", a special operations group controlled by the Cardinal Catherina. His encounter with a young girl called Esther will determine the struggle and survival between the human race and the vampires.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
26.08.2006 - 19:05
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Eight on 26.08.2006 at 18:19

Anyone seen Trinity Blood ?

I have seen Trinity Blood. The art of this anime is amazing. The only small complain I have is that the main character looks has been used like a million times before(Alucard of Castlevania, Sephiroth of Final Fantasy VII etc.) Also, the storyline lacks a bit. The storyline is just a standard vampire storyline. It failed to really impress me. Also, they tried to safe the story with certain events(I am not going to say which events, since that would mean I am spoiling something), but that didn't really work either. The soundtrack of this anime is great though, especially the epic "Cain & Abel".

It is an enjoyable anime, but that is mostly because of the amazing art and animations. Also, beside of it lacks, it is pretty addictive. I hope they will release new episodes soon
27.08.2006 - 16:20
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
This anime is almost unheard of, but it's hillarious, it's called goldenboy, and it's about this dudes quest to get laid, only seven episodes were ever made, but i'd suggest it to anyone who likes a good laugh.
Anyone Else ever see it?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
27.08.2006 - 21:58
ylside
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 27.08.2006 at 16:20

This anime is almost unheard of, but it's hillarious, it's called goldenboy, and it's about this dudes quest to get laid, only seven episodes were ever made, but i'd suggest it to anyone who likes a good laugh.
Anyone Else ever see it?

Unheard of ? Are you sure ? This was like the first anime I saw. And one of the best, 6 episodes of pure 120% cheesy naughtiness Golden Boy is Gold indeed !
27.08.2006 - 22:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by ylside on 27.08.2006 at 21:58

Anyone Else ever see it?

Unheard of ? Are you sure ? This was like the first anime I saw. And one of the best, 6 episodes of pure 120% cheesy naughtiness Golden Boy is Gold indeed !

well, in my country it's practicly unheard of, I don't know about other places
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.08.2006 - 00:00
Faggot the Llama
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 27.08.2006 at 22:34

Written by ylside on 27.08.2006 at 21:58

Anyone Else ever see it?

well, in my country it's practicly unheard of, I don't know about other places

I saw it at a friend's house, it's hilarious.

"Does she really want me to teach her how to ride the love salami?!?!" Gold, indeed.
28.08.2006 - 18:28
Basso
Account deleted

Anyone Else ever see it?

Golden boy is NOT unheard of. it is one of the most famous "guy" animes ever made.
28.08.2006 - 23:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 28.08.2006 at 18:28

Anyone Else ever see it?

Golden boy is NOT unheard of. it is one of the most famous "guy" animes ever made.

*Sighs with frustration* I feel like the whole danm site is laying siege on me, read higher up man, I said that it is at least in MY country, But hey, I could even be mistaken on that as well, because where I live I'm one of the few true anime fans, and one of the few true musicians, and I don't know what's famous outside this little sports obbsesed town except for what the GOD DANM MEDIA gives me. So I'm sorry for the error, I'll try to be a little more vigilant with my info, thanks.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.08.2006 - 23:54
Basso
Account deleted
Hahah im sorry mate, didnt mean to offend you ^^. I just took for granted that USA has a rather welldeveloped animeculture in comparision to Europe and such. Sorry one again if I offended you.
31.08.2006 - 19:16
Telrédion86
Account deleted
I have been getting into anime a bit since I last posted in here. I've seen FLCL, also known as Foolie Coolie. While the show is only six episodes long and very strange at first glance/viewing, I think it was great. I liked how it would randomly switch to a manga in the first and last episodes. I've heard it's not a good anime for a beginner to start with though because it makes referenes to other animes (I caught one aimed at Gundam though).

Another one that has been mentioned a bit before that I liked a lot is Cowboy Bebop. It is definetly well-written and the characters are very likeable (especially Ed). It reminds me of Firefly in a way, except they are bounty hunters and not smugglers. Trigun is an anime I have been meaning to check out but haven't had the time before; I understand it is similiar as well. The thing is though I didn't like the Cowboy Bebop movie as much as the series; I found parts of it to be boring, really. And yes, I saw it before I saw the last few episodes. There were some funny scenes in it though.
31.08.2006 - 23:00
Baz Anderson
Staff
i started a Hayao Miyazaki thread quite a while ago now, but not many people have bothered going in it which is a shame seeing as i spent ages typing up the post with all the links and stuff
if you feel like being nice, go and have a look please. hahaha thank you!
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=2264