03. The Huntmaster
04. Nancy The Tavern Wench
05. Death Before The Mast
06. Terror On The High Seas
07. Set Sail And Conquer
08. Of Treasure
09. Wenches & Mead
10. Flower Of Scotland [The Corries cover]

Alright! Finally a concept band that steps away from the cliché Viking metal theme. A theme that has scarcely been shown since Running Wild, but unfortunately, Alestorm is no Running Wild.

The album opens up with no warning, trumpets and chugging guitars right from the start. Sounds like some epic fun right? Well, yes, if you are six years old. This album is about as predictable and unbearably cheesy as one band can be. First of all, the keyboards do create the sound the band was probably trying to achieve but it just becomes patronizing. We understand, you are pirates, now lay off the overused hooks with accordion synthesizers. As far as the guitars go, there is very little to say, 90% of the time they are so deeply buried by overproduced trumpet or accordion synthesizers they seem to be there just to make the sound a little beefier, or so the album doesn't get mistaken for the "Muppet Treasure Island" soundtrack. The overall song structure is the predictable part, I don't think there is a single riff on this album I haven't heard somewhere else. Lastly lets take a look at these lyrics; icing on the cheesecake. For the most part, these lyrics are (like a lot of other aspects of the album) completely predictable, most songs being dominated by stupidly facile rhymes like these: "There lived one man who was true/ Guardian of secrets that only he knew/Condemned for a crime that he did not commit/ Sentenced to die in the depths of the pit".

The album is not entirely bad though. There are two songs on the album that I actually enjoyed, mostly because they weren't entirely smothered in synthesizers. The first of these two songs being 'Death before the Mast' - which has a very nice build-up starting with just bass & drums, then guitars and vocals coming in in a solid pumping rhythm, a good sound that is carried out throughout the song while actually being balanced out with the synthesizers. The second decent song is 'Terror On The High Seas' - this song has a neat little drum intro before a decent chugging intro riff with a cool solo layered over top comes in, once again balancing the synthesizers out nicely through the entire song. That sums up the good part of the album.

This album partially bothers me because all the musicians seem to have great skill but unfortunately being a novelty band is a dead-end road, I can't imagine them successfully repeating this for three or four albums, or offer much change without dropping the gimmick.
I highly recommend against this album unless you can stomach heavy synthesizers, boring guitars and childish lyrics.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Doc G. | 20.04.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 57   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 240 users
03.11.2008 - 14:21
annodomini

Im the big, very big fan of Pirates of Caribbean, and this album really creates Piratish atmosphere, and the lyrics, that few are based on POC, are really powerfull, still funny. It was an experiance to hear word like: Barbossa, pieces of eigyt... etc.
----
the riddle wants to be...
11.11.2008 - 22:27
Rating: 8
StratoDan1990

I love korpiklaani and turisas, but Alestorm are my most favourite. Their Terror on the high seas EP was amazing, since they released that in 06 ive been a huge fan.
23.11.2008 - 20:16
Rating: 6
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
In the same vein as Terasbetoni... Incredibly cheesy, yet makes me smile. Not great music, but a lot of happiness in there!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
24.11.2008 - 09:51
Rating: 2
Talvi

The rating is too generous. This album is nothing but crap.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
24.11.2008 - 09:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Talvi on 24.11.2008 at 09:51

The rating is too generous. This album is nothing but crap.

Yes, I had that same feeling, the only regret I have about this review (despite the 95% negative feedback about it ). Occasionally there are times when I can listen to a song or two every now and then, but even when I'm in that type of mood theres usually something better I want to listen to.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.11.2008 - 19:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Doc G. on 24.11.2008 at 09:54

Occasionally there are times when I can listen to a song or two every now and then, but even when I'm in that type of mood theres usually something better I want to listen to.

I can't do that... I just feel fucking embarassed when I hear the vocals... that's the point when I know "I have to stop this NOW"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2008 - 21:20
Janne
Hugin
Hey guys, have you ever seen Alestorm live?! I bet you haven't because you wouldn't say such things if you had...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.11.2008 - 07:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Janne on 24.11.2008 at 21:20

Hey guys, have you ever seen Alestorm live?! I bet you haven't because you wouldn't say such things if you had...

This is an album review and not a live review.

I have seen bands that are brilliant live yet on cd they are shit, so when reviewing their cd's I will say they are shit. No matter how brilliant they are live.

Hell, I enjoyed Korpiklaani live because I was drunk but still say their music on album is mediocre at best.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2008 - 01:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And i like Korpiklaani both live and studio

about Alestorm i dont know, because i missed them live
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.01.2009 - 17:13
Elio
Red Nightmare
I think the vote Dr.Rock gives is too high, considering what he says the review. If I thought this about an ablum, I would give it way less then 7-
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.01.2009 - 01:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Elio on 01.01.2009 at 17:13

I think the vote Dr.Rock gives is too high, considering what he says the review. If I thought this about an ablum, I would give it way less then 7-

Because despite terribly lame and overall being bad song writers, they are very good musicians, the musicianship in the album is what earned it the rating I felt was appropriate. That, and there were 2 songs I enjoyed the entire way through, and there are actually a few ok riffs and solos dispersed amongst the shit.
----
- George Carlin
02.01.2009 - 01:28
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 02.01.2009 at 01:25

Because despite terribly lame and overall being bad song writers, they are very good musicians, the musicianship in the album is what earned it the rating I felt was appropriate. That, and there were 2 songs I enjoyed the entire way through, and there are actually a few ok riffs and solos dispersed amongst the shit.

Mmh. But you also said most of them were similar/already heard.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.01.2009 - 01:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Elio on 02.01.2009 at 01:28

Most
1. in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number: to win the most votes.
2. in the majority of instances.
3. greatest, as in size or extent.

Not all. Understand?
----
- George Carlin
02.01.2009 - 01:34
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 02.01.2009 at 01:32

Written by Elio on 02.01.2009 at 01:28

Most
1. in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number: to win the most votes.
2. in the majority of instances.
3. greatest, as in size or extent.

Not all. Understand?

There's no need to mock me.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.02.2009 - 00:39
Feng

I agree with this review. The entire sound of the album is too cheesy for me really. I can see the appeal though, I have a few friends who love this album.... but personally it just does not do it for me.
31.07.2009 - 12:32
Kurimus
Account deleted
5 From me. cheesy keyboard jerking off.
07.08.2009 - 08:27
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Doc G. on 22.05.2008 at 03:50

Written by Daggon on 13.05.2008 at 06:49

if you didn't like it who cares.

If that were true every review on this site would be a 9.9/10.

Sorry man, I was an idiot back then, now I understand what you said on your review, I now find this album cheesy, boring, vomitive and mediocre. Just two songs are quiet good, and they are the ones you mentioned. Still I find it funny at times but surely I won't be listening to this frequentlly.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
08.08.2009 - 10:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And i still find it good though new release is even better for me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.08.2009 - 15:19
Njord
njord
Yes, it's a cheesy album, but I think the band suffers much negative comments because it's associated with the viking scene when for me they are more similar to the symphonic/power sound. I say this because they have all: almost same structure in every song, keyboards all the way, choirs, fast solos, etc..

Maybe because I prefer the symphonic scene I enjoyed what this album brought (the inclusion of the accordion, more agressivity, no female voice or lyrics without drama), so it's a good finding for who's a bit tired of nightwish, angtoria or sonata arctica.
11.09.2009 - 11:45
rockmachine
Account deleted
Like the album, lively music what ever the critics says, lyics do make sense...more over i think the review is way too rhetoric...cheers Alestrom!!! we love you....:)
12.09.2009 - 03:06
Lord_Regnier

This album is nothing but crap.

Agreed. And I totally agree with the review about boring guitars, childish lyrics and unbearable cheesiness.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.01.2010 - 05:14
MegaTheJester

But if you don't like cheese, you'll never know how great a ham sandwich can be.
Don't be so hasty to dismiss this kind of thing. It's a lovely piece of fictional indulgence.
06.07.2011 - 12:32
Rating: 5
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.09.2009 at 03:06

This album is nothing but crap.

Agreed. And I totally agree with the review about boring guitars, childish lyrics and unbearable cheesiness.

it is worse than crap i hate the vocals one of the worst i've ever heard
04.09.2011 - 11:48
Rating: 5
Slayer666

Yeeeah.... no.
A band that relies solely on a (very cheesy) gimmick to propel their music forward will never click with me.
05.09.2011 - 16:48
Moosh666

I'm an Alestorm fan (prepares for shitstorm of abuse), but I have to partially agree here, this is mediocre compared to their later releases, but if it weren't for this captain feathersword release I probably wouldn't have found them in the first place. Not a bad album at all, but not a good one either. Rather like GWAR's existence...
13.09.2011 - 03:10
Rating: 9
Future Warrior

I don't know, I liked it...
15.09.2011 - 18:58
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by MegaTheJester on 27.01.2010 at 05:14

But if you don't like cheese, you'll never know how great a ham sandwich can be.
Don't be so hasty to dismiss this kind of thing. It's a lovely piece of fictional indulgence.

Agreed. I'm a fan of this band.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 8266 | This month: 23