Metal Storm logo
Jason Newsted vs Cliff Burton

Original post

Posted by , 21.04.2008 - 16:20
I know that all metallica fans Love "Jason Newsted" And "Cliff Burton" Both. But all of us heard from eachother that cause "Jason" dont use his fingers when he plays guitar,Cliff was better. But after "Robert Trujillo" entered the band who uses his fingers on bass, I think a lot of us suddenly knew that what "Jason" was for "Metallica".if I want to choose one of them which is the hardest thing that i can do! I choose "Jason" cause he did somthing that would have made "CLiff" happy in my opinion.

I Know Both Are Legends, Vote For The Best

Poll

Which You Love Most?

Cliff Burton
Jason Newsted

Total votes: 160
16.05.2008 - 12:19
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i know this might be blasphemous, but i pick Newsted over Burton in terms of technique, but in terms of playing to be heard, Burton wins. Newsted got FUCKED during the making of "Justice", there is not one audible second of bass during the entire 60something minutes of that album. but overall i think Newsted is a better bass player than Burton. Newsted's stuff with Flotsam and Jetsam is ridiculous.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.05.2008 - 21:26
metalhead3

i prefer newsted.for me he is better than burton.thats it
19.05.2008 - 23:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by metalhead3 on 19.05.2008 at 21:26

i prefer newsted.for me he is better than burton.thats it

why he is better ? expalin it more
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.05.2008 - 00:40
Varegan
Hamranakara
the mighty Cliff Burton is my choise,true meaning what we called metallca many years ago.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
20.05.2008 - 11:15
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Varegan on 20.05.2008 at 00:40

the mighty Cliff Burton is my choise,true meaning what we called metallca many years ago.

as i know the lyrics and music were written by Jaymz and Lars at those times too! in the other hand metallica changed after they changed their producer. Cliff is the man but cause of his live performance not for music or lyrics. but when i compare him to jason (at lives) which is not a good compare, but jason rules too not?
didn see a bassist like jason in whole metal did u see? (exept steve harris and old ones like lemmy)
23.05.2008 - 12:26
Trinstar

CLIFF 'EM ALL! Seriously, in terms of technical playing, speed, heavyness, stage presence, soloing, and pretty much anything to do with bass and heavy metal, Cliff is better on all fronts. He was a virtuoso. And Jason got screwed on AJFA? Cliff's album work could be played by any studio musician, but live? He was the ultimate live bass player, even better than the likes of Flea and Les Claypool. He made everyone else look like chumps he was so good, and those weren't even his intentions. He was so amazingly true to metal, and played so well, and he died, and then Metallica... well, you know the story. As I've stated before, Cliff would not have allowed the "Black Album" or future Nu/Country projects. He was too true. And if you think Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) was the pinnacle of his playing, think again. He could've played that with one hand! Find some live footage with a bass solo, and you will see what I mean. He was undeniably better.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
23.05.2008 - 19:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Trinstar on 23.05.2008 at 12:26

CLIFF 'EM ALL! Seriously, in terms of technical playing, speed, heavyness, stage presence, soloing, and pretty much anything to do with bass and heavy metal, Cliff is better on all fronts. He was a virtuoso. And Jason got screwed on AJFA? Cliff's album work could be played by any studio musician, but live? He was the ultimate live bass player, even better than the likes of Flea and Les Claypool. He made everyone else look like chumps he was so good, and those weren't even his intentions. He was so amazingly true to metal, and played so well, and he died, and then Metallica... well, you know the story. As I've stated before, Cliff would not have allowed the "Black Album" or future Nu/Country projects. He was too true. And if you think Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) was the pinnacle of his playing, think again. He could've played that with one hand! Find some live footage with a bass solo, and you will see what I mean. He was undeniably better.

i have to say it again ? cliff wasn the musician at metallica and not songwriter! he wasn even frontman of metallica too ! i dont mean he wasn great but u said that "Cliff would not have allowed" !!! i dont know what he would not ! he didn have permission to would or would not ! (as jason didn)

i think if kirk was dead the sotry hasnt changed now!(as u know cliff and kirk have changed their positions at bus before the crash) guys like u would say that "kirk would not have allowed".

the most important funny thing is that what would happen if jaymz was dead? u should know that they wouldnt continue metallica for sure.
23.05.2008 - 19:48
Ferret
Account deleted
Cliff.
Obvious choice, imo.
23.05.2008 - 22:58
Metal_Militia

Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 19:32

i have to say it again ? cliff wasn the musician at metallica and not songwriter! he wasn even frontman of metallica too ! i dont mean he wasn great but u said that "Cliff would not have allowed" !!! i dont know what he would not ! he didn have permission to would or would not ! (as jason didn)

i think if kirk was dead the sotry hasnt changed now!(as u know cliff and kirk have changed their positions at bus before the crash) guys like u would say that "kirk would not have allowed".

the most important funny thing is that what would happen if jaymz was dead? u should know that they wouldnt continue metallica for sure.

//Ok, in my opinion Cliff would NEVER let the Black Album be a thought. It was just in Cliff's personality. He was very true to the exact type of music they played up until he died which was thrash metal. When he died, a huge part of Metallica died too. And there is no way that you can say he wasnt a song writer. He helped write 6 0f the 8 songs on ride the lightning, and 4 of the 8 off master of puppets. The only reason that he wasnt credited to any of the songs on Kill 'Em All except Anesthesia was because all of the songs were previously written by Mustaine and Hetfield before he even joined the band! Cliff i think would have stayed true to his roots in which metallica started no doubt. The term "sell out" would not be next to metallica under any circumstances if Cliff was still alive and in the band//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

24.05.2008 - 00:25
Varegan
Hamranakara

hey hey!!! dont you know who has writen "Orion" or "to live is to die"
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
24.05.2008 - 00:26
Gordon Freeman

Written by Metal_Militia on 23.05.2008 at 22:58

//Ok, in my opinion Cliff would NEVER let the Black Album be a thought. It was just in Cliff's personality. He was very true to the exact type of music they played up until he died which was thrash metal. When he died, a huge part of Metallica died too. And there is no way that you can say he wasnt a song writer. He helped write 6 0f the 8 songs on ride the lightning, and 4 of the 8 off master of puppets. The only reason that he wasnt credited to any of the songs on Kill 'Em All except Anesthesia was because all of the songs were previously written by Mustaine and Hetfield before he even joined the band! Cliff i think would have stayed true to his roots in which metallica started no doubt. The term "sell out" would not be next to metallica under any circumstances if Cliff was still alive and in the band//

First of all, if Cliff had lived and didn't like the direction the band was headed in musically he'd have left or been kicked out. You're crazy if you think he had enough influence to halt Lars's push for mainstream success.

Second, a lot of Burton's popularity has to do with one huge factor...his death. It's proven that when a musician dies his legend outshines his life. Kurt Cobain...not as good a song writer as he's made out to be. But he's dead so...he is the second coming of grunge jesus. Dimebag Darrell. Alive...good guitarist. Dead...greatest freaking guitarist ever!!!

Basically what I'm saying is Burton is considered the best bassist Metallica ever had because of his unfortunate death. In reality, as far as technicall ability goes he is dead last of the three. And only second in song writing ability.

Newstead wins in both categories. The important thing to remember (and I know it has been said before) is that Jason was probably allowed to help write maybe four or five songs his entire career with Metallica. Why do you think he left?
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
24.05.2008 - 00:29
Gordon Freeman

...and a better live bassist than Flea or Les Claypool.

Not bloody likely...!
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

24.05.2008 - 03:44
Trinstar

Written by Gordon Freeman on 24.05.2008 at 00:26

First of all, if Cliff had lived and didn't like the direction the band was headed in musically he'd have left or been kicked out. You're crazy if you think he had enough influence to halt Lars's push for mainstream success.

Second, a lot of Burton's popularity has to do with one huge factor...his death. It's proven that when a musician dies his legend outshines his life. Kurt Cobain...not as good a song writer as he's made out to be. But he's dead so...he is the second coming of grunge jesus. Dimebag Darrell. Alive...good guitarist. Dead...greatest freaking guitarist ever!!!

Basically what I'm saying is Burton is considered the best bassist Metallica ever had because of his unfortunate death. In reality, as far as technicall ability goes he is dead last of the three. And only second in song writing ability.

Newstead wins in both categories. The important thing to remember (and I know it has been said before) is that Jason was probably allowed to help write maybe four or five songs his entire career with Metallica. Why do you think he left?

Alright, Cliff did help write some songs for Metallica, but he was not one of the "main" songwriters. He was "the musician at Metallica" however, and his influence was great with the band. They found HIM, they wanted HIM, and they relocated to recruit HIM because he was so amazing. Needless to say, if someone in the band was pushing for mainstream success, Cliff would have left the band or beat the crap out of the traitor and physically forced him to change his mind. Metallica was making money at the time, they were doing well, and they were at the peak of their playing when Cliff died. If Kirk had died instead, then I honestly believe Metallica would have made Master of Puppets II, III, IV, and V up all your asses because Cliff was TRUE to metal, much more so than the likes of James, Lars and Kirk. There would be no selling out with Cliff, for a true metal warrior cannot be bought at ANY price; no matter what BS Bob Rock fed all of them, Cliff would've wiped his ass with Rock's ideas and shoved them down Bobby's throat.

Also, I have seen Les Claypool, and he was dynamite. I have seen Flea, and he was insane. But Cliff Burton is on another level. After seeing him play live on video, he is the best. I am not saying he makes Les and Flea look like chumps, but he was much faster, and could sweep and shred the bass MUCH faster than anyone I've ever seen. Like I said, if you go by what you hear on studio albums and non-Cliff live footage, you will most likely think Newsted is the more skilled player. But if you catch 15 seconds of one of his famous post-For Whom The Bell Tolls Bass solos, you would change your mind in a heartbeat. He shreds like no other, and all this mess about posthumous fame and talent, etc. whatever, because only the BEST die young. SRV, Jimi, Jim Morrison, Ronnie Van Zandt, Randy Rhoads, and even Dimebag Darrell. These guys weren't just "good", or "great", they were the "best" at what they did. As in, no one in the world could do it better, and Cliff factors right in with these virtuosos. Newsted is small potatoes when compared with the mighty Cliff!
----
24.05.2008 - 06:59
Metal_Militia

//Some very nice points...Unfortunately people obviously wouldnt think of Cliff being the major rager that he was if he hadent died. I think thats unfortunate that he had to die for people to see how awesome he really was. If you just look and/or listen to his live solos, you can just see the incredible passion he had for his instrument. He wailed the hell out of that bass. It almost seemed that when he had it in him hands, it became part of hit body. I just didnt get that at all from Jason. Listen to the album master of puppets (im sure you already have) and try to just tune into the bass. Incredible lines and patterns. Steve Harris like IMO. Truly great! Good point about Lars's intention of going mainstream though. Another reason i cant think of Jason being any better was that he picks. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but i think Cliff played a lot faster and way more precise than Jason with just his fingers//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

24.05.2008 - 12:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Metal_Militia on 24.05.2008 at 06:59

//Some very nice points...Unfortunately people obviously wouldnt think of Cliff being the major rager that he was if he hadent died. I think thats unfortunate that he had to die for people to see how awesome he really was. If you just look and/or listen to his live solos, you can just see the incredible passion he had for his instrument. He wailed the hell out of that bass. It almost seemed that when he had it in him hands, it became part of hit body. I just didnt get that at all from Jason. Listen to the album master of puppets (im sure you already have) and try to just tune into the bass. Incredible lines and patterns. Steve Harris like IMO. Truly great! Good point about Lars's intention of going mainstream though. Another reason i cant think of Jason being any better was that he picks. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but i think Cliff played a lot faster and way more precise than Jason with just his fingers//

unfortunately we live in true world not fantasy world. metallica's ...and justice for all and black album r classics.

u said that metallica is sell out ? how can u say that ?
look at avrage of releasing studio albums:
1986-2008 (22 years)

and justice for all 1988
metallica 1991
load 1995
reload 1996
st.anger 2003
TBA 2008

22/6=3.666

everry 3.5 years.

speak with reasons!

if u think metallica likes money cause of napster thing, its nothin, even i dont like thiefs.
24.05.2008 - 12:36
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Varegan on 24.05.2008 at 00:25

thank u man! uve got the point. yes it is his ) thats why i say that back album is masterpiece. look at the songs at ...And Justice For All. the slowest song is to live is to die ) its the most equal song to black album's songs.
24.05.2008 - 17:23
Metal_Militia

//No its not about money. I didnt like the Black Album because it sounded way to simple to be anything metallica. I The songs i thought were just gay. I just dont think it was a very good idea to switch mainstream and simple, right when they were on top of their game. Just about every release got better and better from Kill Em All to Master of Puppets. Justice was, eh, acceptable. But by making music the way they did that long, i think they had no where to go but up with their thrash metal capability. but instead, i thought they totally dipped right at the peak of their potential with Black album. I dont think they stayed true to themselves. To me, thats selling out. And its not about how many albums you release per year, its all about the quality. What if Pantera after Vulgar Display of Power decided to do an acoustic album with ballads????//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

25.05.2008 - 20:50
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I chose Newsted. Yes, Burton was a great bass player, and definitly wrote some intresting riffs. However, I think that Newsted overall is more skilled and developed as a bassist. When he was with Metallica, they didn't let him write shit for the sake of his own creativity, and were total assholes to him. But if you listen to some of his solo projects or sidework he's done with his own or other bands, you'll realize he's an amazing musician. He's also got some live bass solos with metallica that were pretty awsome too.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
26.05.2008 - 01:13
Gordon Freeman

Written by Trinstar on 24.05.2008 at 03:44

Alright, Cliff did help write some songs for Metallica, but he was not one of the "main" songwriters. He was "the musician at Metallica" however, and his influence was great with the band. They found HIM, they wanted HIM, and they relocated to recruit HIM because he was so amazing. Needless to say, if someone in the band was pushing for mainstream success, Cliff would have left the band or beat the crap out of the traitor and physically forced him to change his mind. Metallica was making money at the time, they were doing well, and they were at the peak of their playing when Cliff died. If Kirk had died instead, then I honestly believe Metallica would have made Master of Puppets II, III, IV, and V up all your asses because Cliff was TRUE to metal, much more so than the likes of James, Lars and Kirk. There would be no selling out with Cliff, for a true metal warrior cannot be bought at ANY price; no matter what BS Bob Rock fed all of them, Cliff would've wiped his ass with Rock's ideas and shoved them down Bobby's throat.

Also, I have seen Les Claypool, and he was dynamite. I have seen Flea, and he was insane. But Cliff Burton is on another level. After seeing him play live on video, he is the best. I am not saying he makes Les and Flea look like chumps, but he was much faster, and could sweep and shred the bass MUCH faster than anyone I've ever seen. Like I said, if you go by what you hear on studio albums and non-Cliff live footage, you will most likely think Newsted is the more skilled player. But if you catch 15 seconds of one of his famous post-For Whom The Bell Tolls Bass solos, you would change your mind in a heartbeat. He shreds like no other, and all this mess about posthumous fame and talent, etc. whatever, because only the BEST die young. SRV, Jimi, Jim Morrison, Ronnie Van Zandt, Randy Rhoads, and even Dimebag Darrell. These guys weren't just "good", or "great", they were the "best" at what they did. As in, no one in the world could do it better, and Cliff factors right in with these virtuosos. Newsted is small potatoes when compared with the mighty Cliff!

I've seen the live footage...and yeah, it doesn't measure up, sorry.

Don't get me wrong, Cliff was a phenominal bassist. Just...not as good as his legend makes him out to be.
----

26.05.2008 - 02:29
JESTER576
Account deleted
Cliff. No contest. Jason can't play Anathesia. PLus, Cliff taught, James, Kirk, and Lars all about music theory, and gave them most fo their other influences. As James put it, 'If it wasn't for CLiff we wouldn't be here today.' Which is true because if Cliff was still alive, St. ANger, or any of the other albums including the Black ALbum would've never been made. Which would be a good thing in my book.
26.05.2008 - 10:40
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.05.2008 at 02:29

Cliff. No contest. Jason can't play Anathesia. PLus, Cliff taught, James, Kirk, and Lars all about music theory, and gave them most fo their other influences. As James put it, 'If it wasn't for CLiff we wouldn't be here today.' Which is true because if Cliff was still alive, St. ANger, or any of the other albums including the Black ALbum would've never been made. Which would be a good thing in my book.

true... jason newsted was just another guy because they needed a replacement
Cliff Burton on the other hand, was the so called mastermind behind the good albums metallica ever did
26.05.2008 - 11:24
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted

i know alot of ppl who play "Anesthesia" in home with cheap bass guitars ! its a joke that u think Jason cant play it.

Cliff the great was God im agree. but he is not (there r some differences btw Was An Is or Ever)!
but i even have problem with was too! he was the best that means that he was better thatn Steve Harris?
im not a maiden fan but i can say that he wsant even better thatn Steve.
26.05.2008 - 16:27
JESTER576
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.05.2008 at 11:24

i know alot of ppl who play "Anesthesia" in home with cheap bass guitars ! its a joke that u think Jason cant play it.

Cliff the great was God im agree. but he is not (there r some differences btw Was An Is or Ever)!
but i even have problem with was too! he was the best that means that he was better thatn Steve Harris?
im not a maiden fan but i can say that he wsant even better thatn Steve.

Uhhhhh....Steve Harris is good too man.
27.05.2008 - 08:33
Trinstar

Written by Gordon Freeman on 26.05.2008 at 01:13

I've seen the live footage...and yeah, it doesn't measure up, sorry.

Don't get me wrong, Cliff was a phenominal bassist. Just...not as good as his legend makes him out to be.

Then either you are not a bass player, or you watched the wrong videos. Sorry, but comparing Cliff Burton to Jason Newsted is like comparing Yngwie Malmsteen to Ross The Boss.
----
27.05.2008 - 10:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quote:

The both songs were co-written by Burton. In To Live Is To Die the band uses some of the riffs written by Cliff before he died, but they wrote some music for it as well...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.06.2008 - 23:06
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Cliff all the way. He was one of the best bass players of all time. Not many have his skill.
09.06.2008 - 18:21
+NoName+

Written by Guest on 20.05.2008 at 11:15

as i know the lyrics and music were written by Jaymz and Lars at those times too! in the other hand metallica changed after they changed their producer. Cliff is the man but cause of his live performance not for music or lyrics. but when i compare him to jason (at lives) which is not a good compare, but jason rules too not?
didn see a bassist like jason in whole metal did u see? (exept steve harris and old ones like lemmy)

To make the long story short (i saw another post of you, not only this one)...You actually say that Cliff didnt write songs and lyrics during his life in MetallicA... Man, ARE YOU INSANE???????????
Who do you think that wrote Master of Puppets' riff, Creeping Death's riff, the whole Orion, the lyrics for To LIve is to Die etc etc etc
Come on now....
And I will stay to Master of Puppets... One of the most poppular songs in the metal history...A complete ANTHEM!!! Cliff wrote it...Cliff!! And if not all the song, then mostly!!
No, i won't compare Jason to Cliff.... ANY day... And not only in technic part but also in the music part!!! MUSIC!!! That is my opinion...

But seriously, if you think that Cliff hasn't written any lyrics or (even worse) MUSIC then I suggest you not to tell this to anybody else! Keep it for yourself... You are completely wrong....

Search your sourses better next time....
09.06.2008 - 18:40
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by +NoName+ on 09.06.2008 at 18:21

Written by Guest on 20.05.2008 at 11:15

To make the long story short (i saw another post of you, not only this one)...You actually say that Cliff didnt write songs and lyrics during his life in MetallicA... Man, ARE YOU INSANE???????????
Who do you think that wrote Master of Puppets' riff, Creeping Death's riff, the whole Orion, the lyrics for To LIve is to Die etc etc etc
Come on now....
And I will stay to Master of Puppets... One of the most poppular songs in the metal history...A complete ANTHEM!!! Cliff wrote it...Cliff!! And if not all the song, then mostly!!
No, i won't compare Jason to Cliff.... ANY day... And not only in technic part but also in the music part!!! MUSIC!!! That is my opinion...

But seriously, if you think that Cliff hasn't written any lyrics or (even worse) MUSIC then I suggest you not to tell this to anybody else! Keep it for yourself... You are completely wrong....

Search your sourses better next time....

if uve seen my posts so uve seen that most of ppl accepted my words too ! i think no one is more important that james in metallica ever.
10.06.2008 - 00:37
Agaatho

This aint even an issue. Of course Burton was/is better. I have nothing against Newsted, but still who would even consider comparing these two. I mean just listen to the old Metallica live concerts. You can HEAR Cliffs bass loud and clear!!! He pretty much played bass like an guitar- loud and createvly.
Also song like Orion- I mean there are few bass players who can top/create it. Of course hes not the best bass player in the world, but in hes short life he came pretty close.
10.06.2008 - 20:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
the problem with this thread and most respondents is simply the comparison of metallica output.

if you're impression of Jason is his limited creative role within Metallica as Cliff's replacement, you are not doing him justice.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!