Metal Storm logo
Jason Newsted vs Cliff Burton

Original post

Posted by , 21.04.2008 - 16:20
I know that all metallica fans Love "Jason Newsted" And "Cliff Burton" Both. But all of us heard from eachother that cause "Jason" dont use his fingers when he plays guitar,Cliff was better. But after "Robert Trujillo" entered the band who uses his fingers on bass, I think a lot of us suddenly knew that what "Jason" was for "Metallica".if I want to choose one of them which is the hardest thing that i can do! I choose "Jason" cause he did somthing that would have made "CLiff" happy in my opinion.

I Know Both Are Legends, Vote For The Best

Poll

Which You Love Most?

Cliff Burton
Jason Newsted

Total votes: 160
10.06.2008 - 21:57
Gordon Freeman

Written by BitterCOld on 10.06.2008 at 20:51

the problem with this thread and most respondents is simply the comparison of metallica output.

if you're impression of Jason is his limited creative role within Metallica as Cliff's replacement, you are not doing him justice.

Exactly, I think that listening to Doomsday for the Deciever should be mandatory before your opinion on this subject is to be taken seriously.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
11.06.2008 - 11:55
+NoName+

Written by Guest on 09.06.2008 at 18:40

Written by +NoName+ on 09.06.2008 at 18:21

Written by Guest on 20.05.2008 at 11:15

Written by Varegan on 20.05.2008 at 00:40

the mighty Cliff Burton is my choise,true meaning what we called metallca many years ago.

as i know the lyrics and music were written by Jaymz and Lars at those times too! in the other hand metallica changed after they changed their producer. Cliff is the man but cause of his live performance not for music or lyrics. but when i compare him to jason (at lives) which is not a good compare, but jason rules too not?
didn see a bassist like jason in whole metal did u see? (exept steve harris and old ones like lemmy)

To make the long story short (i saw another post of you, not only this one)...You actually say that Cliff didnt write songs and lyrics during his life in MetallicA... Man, ARE YOU INSANE???????????
Who do you think that wrote Master of Puppets' riff, Creeping Death's riff, the whole Orion, the lyrics for To LIve is to Die etc etc etc
Come on now....
And I will stay to Master of Puppets... One of the most poppular songs in the metal history...A complete ANTHEM!!! Cliff wrote it...Cliff!! And if not all the song, then mostly!!
No, i won't compare Jason to Cliff.... ANY day... And not only in technic part but also in the music part!!! MUSIC!!! That is my opinion...

But seriously, if you think that Cliff hasn't written any lyrics or (even worse) MUSIC then I suggest you not to tell this to anybody else! Keep it for yourself... You are completely wrong....

Search your sourses better next time....

if uve seen my posts so uve seen that most of ppl accepted my words too ! i think no one is more important that james in metallica ever.

And I KNOW that James is the most important person in MetallicA, too!! We all know that... But the thing that Cliff Burton had never been songwriter in Metallica is completely wrong!! Just see in the 2nd and 3rd album... The small book with the lyrics... Cliff Burton is cretid for a lot of songs!! And even look in ..And Justice For All !! Sorry, man , but it's not my fault that Cliff Burton was indeed songwriter...He just WAS!!! That's it... End of story.. And seriously... Anyone who supported your words doesnt search his/her sources right either, ok?? Look everywhere you want! Cliff Burton has written AWESOME and FAMOUS metallica songs...

I found a site for you...read it and tell me what do you think now :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Burton

I'm listening to MetallicA 5 years now...Its not a long time, i know...They are obviously my favourite band...But within these 5 years I have read A LOT about metallica, and yeah i know quite a lot....
11.06.2008 - 12:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by +NoName+ on 11.06.2008 at 11:55

the mighty Cliff Burton is my choise,true meaning what we called metallca many years ago.

as i know the lyrics and music were written by Jaymz and Lars at those times too! in the other hand metallica changed after they changed their producer. Cliff is the man but cause of his live performance not for music or lyrics. but when i compare him to jason (at lives) which is not a good compare, but jason rules too not?
didn see a bassist like jason in whole metal did u see? (exept steve harris and old ones like lemmy)

To make the long story short (i saw another post of you, not only this one)...You actually say that Cliff didnt write songs and lyrics during his life in MetallicA... Man, ARE YOU INSANE???????????
Who do you think that wrote Master of Puppets' riff, Creeping Death's riff, the whole Orion, the lyrics for To LIve is to Die etc etc etc
Come on now....
And I will stay to Master of Puppets... One of the most poppular songs in the metal history...A complete ANTHEM!!! Cliff wrote it...Cliff!! And if not all the song, then mostly!!
No, i won't compare Jason to Cliff.... ANY day... And not only in technic part but also in the music part!!! MUSIC!!! That is my opinion...

But seriously, if you think that Cliff hasn't written any lyrics or (even worse) MUSIC then I suggest you not to tell this to anybody else! Keep it for yourself... You are completely wrong....

if uve seen my posts so uve seen that most of ppl accepted my words too ! i think no one is more important that james in metallica ever.

And I KNOW that James is the most important person in MetallicA, too!! We all know that... But the thing that Cliff Burton had never been songwriter in Metallica is completely wrong!! Just see in the 2nd and 3rd album... The small book with the lyrics... Cliff Burton is cretid for a lot of songs!! And even look in ..And Justice For All !! Sorry, man , but it's not my fault that Cliff Burton was indeed songwriter...He just WAS!!! That's it... End of story.. And seriously... Anyone who supported your words doesnt search his/her sources right either, ok?? Look everywhere you want! Cliff Burton has written AWESOME and FAMOUS metallica songs...

I'm listening to MetallicA 5 years now...Its not a long time, i know...They are obviously my favourite band...But within these 5 years I have read A LOT about metallica, and yeah i know quite a lot....

Kill 'Em All

01.Hit The Lights (Hetfield/Ulrich)
02.The Four Horsemen (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
03.Motorbreath (Hetfield)
04.Jump In The Fire (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
05.(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth (Burton)
06.Whiplash (Hetfield/Ulrich)
07.Phantom Lord (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
08.No Remorse (Hetfield/Ulrich)
09.Seek & Destroy (Hetfield/Ulrich)
10.Metal Militia (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
-----------------
Ride The Lightning

01.Metal Militia (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
02.Ride The Lightning (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Mustaine)
03.For Whom The Bell Tolls (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton)
04.Fade To Black (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
05.Trapped Under Ice (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
06.Escape (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
07.Creeping Death (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
08.The Call Of Ktulu (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Mustaine)
------------------
Master Of Puppets

01.Battery (Hetfield/Ulrich)
02.Master of Puppets (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
03.The Thing That Should Not Be (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
04.Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
05.Disposable Heroes (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
06.Leper Messiah (Hetfield/Ulrich)
07.Orion (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton)
08.Damage Inc. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
-------------------
Source:
http://www.encycmet.com/songs/songs.shtml

but about lyrics i know that up to 90% of lyrics was from Jaymz and larz.

but again i think Jason is the greates metal bass player ever. thats it ! and everyone has an opinion. for example i dont care if Robert writes all metallica songs at this album! i dont like him. but i like burton but not more than Jason.

so plz calm down and dont use caps and respect other's opinions. and suppor MetallicA always not just the dead part of MetallicA

thanx
11.06.2008 - 14:00
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I actually don't see any obvious reason to pick one over the other, and that's why I haven't voted yet. Jason can apparently play anything that was written before him by Metallica. So how do you prove Cliff was a more skillful bassist? By saying that he was playing with his fingers? So what?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.06.2008 - 16:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
it was so hard for me to choose one too! but finally ive choosed Jason, and i wanted to see that here Jason and Cliff get equal votes but finally i knew that ppl cant think! they just vote by their Emotions. and i dont know why the hell ppl r Dead worshipers! look kirk hammet is here !!! he is legend ! but everyone here sais that " if burton hadnt been dead, he would never let MetallicA release Black Album"(the most fuckin funny thing ive ever heard)
so where is the Jaymz's, larz's, kirk's or mustain's importance in the first 3 albums ! all of them were written by Burton !
11.06.2008 - 16:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Having seen Metallica live with both bassists. And having seen Flotsam & Jetsam live with Jason Newsted, I still tend to go for Cliff, solely because he had much more stage presence than Jason. Don't get me wrong... Jason is a great bassplayer, but Metallica was stupid not to employ his writing skills but instead letting their producer write (and at times even record) the bass parts instead. Technically the two of them are not too much apart, so I had to go for the live aspect and that's where Cliff stands out.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.06.2008 - 17:24
+NoName+

Written by Guest on 11.06.2008 at 12:29

Written by +NoName+ on 11.06.2008 at 11:55

Come on now....

Kill 'Em All

01.Hit The Lights (Hetfield/Ulrich)
02.The Four Horsemen (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
03.Motorbreath (Hetfield)
04.Jump In The Fire (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
05.(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth (Burton)
06.Whiplash (Hetfield/Ulrich)
07.Phantom Lord (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
08.No Remorse (Hetfield/Ulrich)
09.Seek & Destroy (Hetfield/Ulrich)
10.Metal Militia (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
-----------------
Ride The Lightning

01.Metal Militia (Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine)
02.Ride The Lightning (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Mustaine)
03.For Whom The Bell Tolls (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton)
04.Fade To Black (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
05.Trapped Under Ice (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
06.Escape (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
07.Creeping Death (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
08.The Call Of Ktulu (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Mustaine)
------------------
Master Of Puppets

01.Battery (Hetfield/Ulrich)
02.Master of Puppets (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
03.The Thing That Should Not Be (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
04.Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
05.Disposable Heroes (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
06.Leper Messiah (Hetfield/Ulrich)
07.Orion (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton)
08.Damage Inc. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett)
-------------------
Source:
http://www.encycmet.com/songs/songs.shtml

but about lyrics i know that up to 90% of lyrics was from Jaymz and larz.

but again i think Jason is the greates metal bass player ever. thats it ! and everyone has an opinion. for example i dont care if Robert writes all metallica songs at this album! i dont like him. but i like burton but not more than Jason.

so plz calm down and dont use caps and respect other's opinions. and suppor MetallicA always not just the dead part of MetallicA

thanx

Man I didnt want to offend you or something...And OF COURSE everyone has his/her opinion and I absolutely respect it... I didnt blame you because you like Jason more than Cliff. The reason i replyed was to make clear that Cliff did write metallica songs...that's all...
And I do support MetallicA from their first album and I will 'till they stop making albums.... I also like some songs from St.Anger which everyone hate... But hey, thats my opinion and taste in music, right?
As I said earlier metallica is my favourite band... They wouldnt be if i only supported the dead part...
But really my point was to underline the fact that Cliff was one of the songwriters and not a bass player that was just filled the place... I believe I did the right thing by saying all this stuff, because we owe him quite a lot for the beloved songs he left behind for us....

And sorry again if I became overreacting or something and made you angry...I told you my one and only purpose for my reply....
11.06.2008 - 17:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ +MetalGirl+ i wasn angree but take a look at ur first post, it was u that shouted !
12.06.2008 - 08:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I think Marcel and the black god have got the point. If there is some difference, it's probably only in their stage presence. And how does any of you know that Burton wrote that-and-that song? If not, people, just give proofs of how much more skillful Burton was.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

13.06.2008 - 10:58
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
there is somthin that i cant forget about Jason, he has kind personality he doesnt think that he is god or somthin tak a look at "The Black Album Classical" DVD, look how he is talkin about his works at metallica. the other thing that made me to choose Jason is that he is a free man, i dont think that anyone would leave metallica like jason. he would made more money more fame and everythink by metallica, but he doesnt sell his soul to jaymz ! but dont get me wrong jaymz is the man and liked his action about jason (about his sideproject) but i liked jason's action too.
01.08.2008 - 21:19
freddie420666

Written by K✞ulu on 11.06.2008 at 14:00

I actually don't see any obvious reason to pick one over the other, and that's why I haven't voted yet. Jason can apparently play anything that was written before him by Metallica. So how do you prove Cliff was a more skillful bassist? By saying that he was playing with his fingers? So what?

i agree with this. he obviously could do what cliff could do plus what he came up with for metallica. i voted cliff because he was their first. but they are both very good. honestly though, im not blaming jason for it, but i think that if cliff wouldnt have died, metallica wouldnt have sold out. he wouldnt allow it. but i could be wrong.
03.08.2008 - 17:09
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 21:19

i agree with this. he obviously could do what cliff could do plus what he came up with for metallica. i voted cliff because he was their first. but they are both very good. honestly though, im not blaming jason for it, but i think that if cliff wouldnt have died, metallica wouldnt have sold out. he wouldnt allow it. but i could be wrong.

but ur avator reminds me jason's first album with tallica.
03.08.2008 - 23:12
freddie420666

Written by Guest on 03.08.2008 at 17:09

yeah. its my fav. album by metallica. why does that matter??
14.09.2008 - 15:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by freddie420666 on 03.08.2008 at 23:12

Written by Guest on 03.08.2008 at 17:09

yeah. its my fav. album by metallica. why does that matter??

u voted cliff but ur fav album released after his death! it was a little interesting for me that how could u love cliff but not love his works.
there is story about my vote:

when i opened this poll, i havent been choose one of them and didnt wanted to! cause it was so hard for me to choose one of them. but "Baz Anderson", blocked my poll cause of the act (not saying which ive voted myself, it is a rule for oppening a poll) so i forced to choose, and when i forced to choose i wanted to choose cliff, but i thinked twice and i saw that it was just somthin commercial that i think i like cliff more than jason!! i thinked and i realized that i love jason more! cause i see him more than cliff and he was who played cliffs songs live and it was him who brought metallica on top (with the other band mates). i remembered that i cant never forget his head bangings on the stage but i cant remember somthin about cliff exept some short low video captured clips(Cliff em all) so how could i choose cliff?
its so important for me to be loyal. and to choose somthing is a very important thing in the human's life. and if im not wrong its the most important thing of the life. cause the only different btw human and animals is will of choose, but animals cant.

thats why im a follower of Jean Paul Sartre

dont lie to urselves and others cause u noone will give somthin cause of this.
05.10.2008 - 16:56
Piere
Account deleted
they're both excellent bass players. But Cliff is a legend, so I voted for him. But i really like Jason to be honest, I mean he's gone through so much during his time with Metallica and he always stood up as a person, despite him being hazed so hard by James and Lars. I miss Jason with Metallica. He was great live and he should have been given more chances to employ his writing skills, because he was a good songwroter as well.
05.10.2008 - 18:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.10.2008 at 16:56

they're both excellent bass players. But Cliff is a legend, so I voted for him. But i really like Jason to be honest, I mean he's gone through so much during his time with Metallica and he always stood up as a person, despite him being hazed so hard by James and Lars. I miss Jason with Metallica. He was great live and he should have been given more chances to employ his writing skills, because he was a good songwroter as well.

thanks for ur honest words. nowadays hardly u can find honest words about metallica and specially new metallica!!
11.10.2008 - 22:43
Piere
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.10.2008 at 18:23

Written by Guest on 05.10.2008 at 16:56

thanks for ur honest words. nowadays hardly u can find honest words about metallica and specially new metallica!!

Np, it's just my opinion, think Jason should get more credit
04.11.2008 - 11:53
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Taken from http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/rob-trujillo-speaks-about-cliff-and-jason/

"Rob Trujillo Speaks About Cliff And Jason"

Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo has spoken exclusively to Metal Hammer about the two men whose shoes he stepped into when he took the job as Metallica bassist - Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted.

““I have the utmost respect for (former Metallica bassists) Jason and Cliff,” Trujillo said as part of My Life Story in this month’s Metal Hammer magazine. “What I love about Cliff is where he was coming from as a bass player in this genre of music, metal, he had a real voice and he was speaking with his instrument. Very melodic, this wonderful stage presence…he was just a very unique individual and very talented obviously.”

“Jason offered a more meat and potatoes kind of vibe to the band. Jason’s a leader in his own way and I think that’s captured live, but I think that can be a critical thing when it comes to his contribution to the music. I wasn’t there, I don’t know how it played out, but we’re all different, and none of us, me or Jason, are trying to be Cliff. I’m not trying to be Jason. We’re our own entities, I just try to give everything I’ve got.”
04.03.2009 - 12:12
dunkelheit_13

Written by Guest on 04.11.2008 at 11:53

Taken from http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/rob-trujillo-speaks-about-cliff-and-jason/

"Rob Trujillo Speaks About Cliff And Jason"

Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo has spoken exclusively to Metal Hammer about the two men whose shoes he stepped into when he took the job as Metallica bassist - Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted.

““I have the utmost respect for (former Metallica bassists) Jason and Cliff,” Trujillo said as part of My Life Story in this month’s Metal Hammer magazine. “What I love about Cliff is where he was coming from as a bass player in this genre of music, metal, he had a real voice and he was speaking with his instrument. Very melodic, this wonderful stage presence…he was just a very unique individual and very talented obviously.”

“Jason offered a more meat and potatoes kind of vibe to the band. Jason’s a leader in his own way and I think that’s captured live, but I think that can be a critical thing when it comes to his contribution to the music. I wasn’t there, I don’t know how it played out, but we’re all different, and none of us, me or Jason, are trying to be Cliff. I’m not trying to be Jason. We’re our own entities, I just try to give everything I’ve got.”

I dont care about what Robert said! cause I dont like him.

but I choose jason, the era which I listened to metallica was about Jason times! and like them more than early works.
----
war is over if you want
05.03.2009 - 01:34
ForeverDarkWoods

Pretty much all the good Metallica material was from the Burton era. I wasn't born when Burton was still alive, and as such I wouldn't try to compare the two since I wasn't even alive when Burton was. I just know that the recorded material with Burton sounds a lot better than the recorded material with Newsted. Therefore I choose Burton.

I recall reading that Hetfield credited Burton as being miles ahead of everyone else in the band when it came to musicianship and songwriting abilities though. That would also speak in Burton's favor (even if it's very easy to praise dead the hell out of people since they won't have to live up to the high standards you associate with them).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
05.03.2009 - 23:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.03.2009 at 01:34

Pretty much all the good Metallica material was from the Burton era. I wasn't born when Burton was still alive, and as such I wouldn't try to compare the two since I wasn't even alive when Burton was. I just know that the recorded material with Burton sounds a lot better than the recorded material with Newsted. Therefore I choose Burton.

The major issue here is that Newsted had about next to no influence in the direction of Metallica.

As I said several pages ago in response to another similar post, you cannot compare the two based solely upon their work with Metallica. In order to compare the two, take Jason's Flotsam and Jetsam and Voivod work into account as well.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.03.2009 - 23:36
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by BitterCOld on 05.03.2009 at 23:21

The major issue here is that Newsted had about next to no influence in the direction of Metallica.

As I said several pages ago in response to another similar post, you cannot compare the two based solely upon their work with Metallica. In order to compare the two, take Jason's Flotsam and Jetsam and Voivod work into account as well.

Well, I never quite got into Voivod. Flotsam and Jetsam though are awesome and I listen to them more often than the classic Metallica releases.

I wouldn't go comparing Flotsam and Jetsam to Metallica though. It's just not the same thing. They're both thrash, but they're still very different to eachother.

I can say that for Metallica, Burton was a better bassist, as for Flotsam and Jetsam, Burton never played with them so I couldn't say if he'd have outdone Newsted in that area as well or not.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
06.03.2009 - 00:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.03.2009 at 23:36

Well, I never quite got into Voivod. Flotsam and Jetsam though are awesome and I listen to them more often than the classic Metallica releases.

I wouldn't go comparing Flotsam and Jetsam to Metallica though. It's just not the same thing. They're both thrash, but they're still very different to eachother.

I can say that for Metallica, Burton was a better bassist, as for Flotsam and Jetsam, Burton never played with them so I couldn't say if he'd have outdone Newsted in that area as well or not.

Point sailed right on over your head.

Don't think of it as comparing Metallica bassists. Think of it as comparing bassists. Limiting your rating of Jason strictly to his studio work in Metallica is doing him a massive disservice. It's not like Lord Lars or King James let him have any degree of creative input... hell, Lars even had the bass neutered from "...And Justice."

In order to compare the two, you need to take in their whole bodies of work. Jason's time in F&J is a much greater indicator of his ability and his songwriting than his stint in Metallica.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.03.2009 - 00:18
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by BitterCOld on 06.03.2009 at 00:06

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.03.2009 at 23:36

Point sailed right on over your head.

Don't think of it as comparing Metallica bassists. Think of it as comparing bassists. Limiting your rating of Jason strictly to his studio work in Metallica is doing him a massive disservice. It's not like Lord Lars or King James let him have any degree of creative input... hell, Lars even had the bass neutered from "...And Justice."

In order to compare the two, you need to take in their whole bodies of work. Jason's time in F&J is a much greater indicator of his ability and his songwriting than his stint in Metallica.

I like Jason Newsteds bass in F&J much better than anything Metallica ever did with the bass. I'm not at all sure that kind of playing would fit Metallica at all though.

If we judge F&J versus Burton era Metallica when it comes to basslines, F&J rips Metallica to little bloody shreds. Burton did nothing to match the relentless bass in Doomsday For The Deceiver. My point though is that it's not the same thing at all. It's just hard comparing the bands when they don't even do much of the same thing and make a somewhat fair judgement.

Burton WAS much better for Metallica though IMO. Wether or not Newsted could have done anything about that whatsoever I really can't say (Lars was probably in full control by the time Newsted joined the band and as such Newsted probably didn't have much say as to what they'd sound like).
----
06.03.2009 - 00:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
One thing I have noticed is several people trying to use the "Jason used a pick" reasoning to say he wasn't that good. What does that have to do with anything? Do you know who else used a pick? Chris Squire!
----
(space for rent)
08.04.2009 - 09:46
Shangri-la

Both were good in Metallica but Cliff gets my vote because he set the bar high for being a bassist in Metallica and Jason never did have a major bass solo like Anesthesia which showed what he could do. In the end Cliff will probably be better remembered just because of how he died regardless of if it was a result of drunk driving or black ice
27.04.2009 - 22:34
IronBlackZepp

Of course Cliff, because he played on Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets. Jason was good but the band began to slowly decline once Cliff died. Jason Played on ...And Justice For All, which owns, and the Black album which is also pretty good. But then again he also played on Load, Reload, and St. Anger, yuk. Cliff played with Metallica when they were able to write perfect songs.
27.04.2009 - 23:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by IronBlackZepp on 27.04.2009 at 22:34

Of course Cliff, because he played on Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets. Jason was good but the band began to slowly decline once Cliff died. Jason Played on ...And Justice For All, which owns, and the Black album which is also pretty good. But then again he also played on Load, Reload, and St. Anger, yuk. Cliff played with Metallica when they were able to write perfect songs.

excuse my nerdiness, but Jason didn't play on St. Anger. The bass legend Bob Rock did.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.04.2009 - 23:36
IronBlackZepp

Written by K✞ulu on 27.04.2009 at 23:22

Written by IronBlackZepp on 27.04.2009 at 22:34

excuse my nerdiness, but Jason did play on St. Anger. The bass legend Bob Rock did.

Oh yes, you are right.
28.04.2009 - 01:47
BuzzPhil

I will not repeat all the reasons that the other have said so I will just say that I vote for Cliff Burton.