Metal Storm logo
Jason Newsted vs Cliff Burton

Original post

Posted by , 21.04.2008 - 16:20
I know that all metallica fans Love "Jason Newsted" And "Cliff Burton" Both. But all of us heard from eachother that cause "Jason" dont use his fingers when he plays guitar,Cliff was better. But after "Robert Trujillo" entered the band who uses his fingers on bass, I think a lot of us suddenly knew that what "Jason" was for "Metallica".if I want to choose one of them which is the hardest thing that i can do! I choose "Jason" cause he did somthing that would have made "CLiff" happy in my opinion.

I Know Both Are Legends, Vote For The Best

Poll

Which You Love Most?

Cliff Burton
Jason Newsted

Total votes: 160
28.04.2009 - 09:58
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
This is not fair! , ppl talks about metallica's best words: Kill Em All, Master of Puppets And Ride the Lightning! but dont forget that Mustain was so more important in Kill Em All than Cliff was, what cliff did in Kill Em All musically was 05.(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth, and nothing more. 3 songs in Ride the Lightning and 3 songs in Master of Puppets, so dont make it so high for him!

why you dont open your eyes and see Jason Newsted's skills? , as BitterCOld said, Jason Newsted was big before he came to Metallica, this is very important. so how can you erase his works with F&J ?! and if you dont know that band why you vote for somthin that you dont have information?

I know a lot of ppl who loves Jason Newsted's works and himself instead of his works, but when we start to compare him with cliff (oftenly-even if someone doesnt know enough about cliff) , they strongly talk about that Cliff is the man! and I say why, and I absolutely belive in my words, "just casuse he is dead", "just cause he was in metallica in the very 3 first albums". I dont say that he was nothin! he was adorable and very nice bass player and I didnt expect Jason to win him over here but I expect ppl to vote with openmind and rational, then I think votes was almost equal right now! Metallica were international after jason entered metallica, at least 70 or 80% of metallica fans over the world started to listen to metallica with "Black Album", I strongly say it. so where the fuck jason gone? , why we are all all dead worshipers?, its a very philosophical and social question, hehe
28.04.2009 - 21:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Just give up, TBG. people are stupid. most are going to compare both bassists work in Metallica and won't take anything else (F&J, Voivod) into account, even though F&J is the only real indicator of how well Jason played, as well as wrote.

frankly, this thing should be closed.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.04.2009 - 10:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 28.04.2009 at 21:57

Just give up, TBG. people are stupid. most are going to compare both bassists work in Metallica and won't take anything else (F&J, Voivod) into account, even though F&J is the only real indicator of how well Jason played, as well as wrote.

you want me to remove this topic?
01.05.2009 - 07:22
ToMegaTherion

Written by BitterCOld on 28.04.2009 at 21:57

Of that is where the comparison will majority come from. And rightly so because most people probably havn't heard a lot of the work Jason has done outside of metallica and since Cliff has been dead for 23 years i don't think you will ever hear Cliff do anything other than what he did with metallica.

Now for my vote in this poll which even though it would appear that most people who have voted for jason simple prefered the older metallica style which isn't answering the question. Anyway back on topic, My vote is for Cliff Burton not because i prefer the first 3 metallica albums over the rest, which i do but that is beside the point. I choose Cliff because everytime i have watched footage of the guy he has so much presance on stage, as well as an awesome technique and great sound. Jason is a very good bassist also, and i do agree that metallica is not his best work in fact it is far from it. Jason's songwritting style i have never been a huge fan of, as he writes almost entirely with the bass guitar as the prominate sound in the song. Which can be good but not all the time, he dosn't have the same level of charisma as Cliff however technique wise both are very close.

In short my vote is for Cliff Burton for reasons stated above.
07.05.2009 - 02:54
soadbyob
Account deleted
There isnt any competition, newkid is good ill give him that, but Burton was the freakin god of bass! Metallica shouldve only had one bassist-burton
07.05.2009 - 22:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 07.05.2009 at 02:54

There isnt any competition, newkid is good ill give him that, but Burton was the freakin god of bass! Metallica shouldve only had one bassist-burton

so they just should have been without a bass for the last 20+ years?

well i guess "...And Justice" didn't have any, thanks to Lars.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.05.2009 - 05:16
soadbyob
Account deleted
Ok, they should,ve made one, and then stopped. i would give up all 3 or 4 good songs to make the history of metallica's downfall not exist.
12.05.2009 - 08:24
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
One word: "Anesthesia"

But I have to say thas Newsted gave Metallica "something", a special sound that belongs just to them, but surely Rob can fill both shoes, hard work, yes, but someone has to do that job. BTW with this Im not saying that Cliff was better than Jason.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
18.08.2010 - 13:44
JD
Account deleted
I like both of them, but voted for Cliff because of this song "Anesthesia"
30.08.2010 - 10:35
Metalmunky17

Its kinda unfair cause jasons bass was turned down most of the time, plus he seems kinda cocky and all...just watch the metallica behind the music thing, but i think cliff is better in my opinion, cliff has to be one of the greatest bassists ever if you ask me, he has beautiful melodies (orion for example) and just really fits with the band better than newsted. when i think of metallica kicking ass, i think of metallica with cliff.
23.10.2010 - 18:05
MetalFist
Account deleted
Cliff was a huge influence in in their albums, and i think is *one* of the *many* things that made their first 4 albums great.
30.10.2010 - 16:14
MetalFists

Written by Guest on 23.10.2010 at 18:05

Cliff was a huge influence in in their albums, and i think is *one* of the *many* things that made their first 4 albums great.

cliff was only alive for the first 3 albums, proves how much u know
30.10.2010 - 16:18
MetalFists

Cliff was more influential on the band then jason was and probly better. but i reckon rob trujillo is a better bassist than both of them
31.10.2010 - 07:34
MetalFist
Account deleted
Written by MetalFists on 30.10.2010 at 16:14

Cliff Burton co wrote "To Live Is To Die', so i question your knowledge.
03.11.2010 - 12:07
MetalFists

Written by Guest on 31.10.2010 at 07:34

Written by MetalFists on 30.10.2010 at 16:14

Cliff Burton co wrote "To Live Is To Die', so i question your knowledge.

If you think 'To Live Is To Die' made '...And Justice For All' "great" i question your musical taste
03.11.2010 - 12:41
MetalFist
Account deleted
Infact, he influenced all of their albums, as without him Metallica wouldnt have released things like MoP and RtL (which IMO got them known *the black album just sold alot* RtL and MoP got them better known), which are theyre best albums, and considered as some of the best metal albums ever. And i didnt say the song by itself made '...And Justice For All' great, im just saying he had an influence on the album, even if it was just a little bit. And my musical taste, i think, is quite developed, as i like a wide variety of genres and bands.
09.04.2012 - 16:58
Infernal Eternal

Cliff wins. He was a better bassist than Newsted and he influenced many bassists.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
09.04.2012 - 22:08
edgethrasherx

My vote has gotta go for Jason. His work in Flotsam And Jetsam was amazing, and he got the crowd pumped up like no one else.
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
06.10.2012 - 01:11
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I don't listen to much Metallica anymore, but I've always respected Cliff the most out of all the members. He wins.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).