Metal Storm logo
What is the meaning of life?

Original post

Posted by Berfones, 24.04.2008 - 15:10
I have been looking the MS forum for this thread and I was amazed to find that the only matches to my search were Monty Pyton movie and some other thing that bearly mantion it, so I decided to open my own thread (hopfully this one will not be locked after one day) and to ask you what is the meaning of life for you, I know that this is a very abstract question, so everyone will have a different answer to it, and some will have several answers.
My meanings of life are music and my book, I think of them as my meanings of life because that if one of them will sieze to be I will probably kill myself.
This thread can also be a place for philosophical questions such as what came first, the chicken or the egg? (I have the answer to it if you want...), and one more thing, can someone tell me why do the mods hate Varg Vikernes threads so much?
25.10.2009 - 23:02
TheBigRossowski

Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.10.2009 at 10:25

Written by TheBigRossowski on 21.10.2009 at 23:30

Life is about coming home everyday and one day finding someone who mistakes you for someone else and then his buddy (Woo) pees on your rug. Then your life unfolds to go out and find the guy you were mistaken for, he should compensate you for your fucking rug, man. Then he doesn't want to help you, even though he's a millionaire... so you tell his assistant that he told you you can take any rug in the house. Eventually, you get called back to the millionaire's house, but not because of the rug, because his wife was kidnapped and he needs your help to be recover his wife. You give up the money to the bad guys, or at least try to, but your buddy fucks it up and you avoid calls from the guy because he wants to know how the drop went.

You start to find out more details and you start piecing the puzzle together, run into some nihilists, some fucking fascists, a guy named Jackie Treehorn and his goons, a fucking fifteen year old brat, and slowly everything in your life is clear.

But I'm not going to ruin your life and tell you how it ends...

The meaning of Life is to search what life means, then go to Metalstorm, I find this thread, I find out life is to read this thread to and gather good idea of what is meaning of life, and then I got the idea of a post that I quoted and find it is very funny and has its meaning to find the meaning of life, blah blah blah, and maybe someone this my post and find what is the meaning of life or to recycle the process blah blah...

Dude, I think your drunk

What in god's unholy name are you blathering about?
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
30.11.2009 - 19:20
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
I don't know, i don't care...Are the 2 sentences that pretty much describe the meaning of life. I live my life like it's a game i can pause/resume whenever i like or load from the last saved if i don't like the current situation and more importantly exit whenever i wish...
That's why when i care for some thing/one i myself get surprised. lol
It, by no means, equals being a good-for-nothing ass!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
01.01.2010 - 18:50
Immortal

It was Jean-Paul Sartre who said that that as humans "l'existence précède l'essence" or "existence preceedes essence". So if this is true it is up to us to create the meaning of our own lives. But what does it mean to give essence to our lives? If I choose to become a mechanic I create the essence of my life but does it give it meaning? I think not. I don't think you can give meaning to something that is intrisically meaningless and any attept at doing so can only be regarded as futile.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
03.01.2010 - 01:12
Replicant

Written by Immortal on 01.01.2010 at 18:50

It was Jean-Paul Sartre who said that that as humans "l'existence précède l'essence" or "existence preceedes essence". So if this is true it is up to us to create the meaning of our own lives. But what does it mean to give essence to our lives? If I choose to become a mechanic I create the essence of my life but does it give it meaning? I think not. I don't think you can give meaning to something that is intrisically meaningless and any attept at doing so can only be regarded as futile.

Yeah, pretty much agree. I never felt the need to search for "meaning" to my life. Doesn't mean that I don't have ambitions an things I want to do though. However, I think free will is a delusion too, so, when I talk about things I want to do, it's not really...yeah whatever.
04.01.2010 - 07:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." - Carl Jung

Spam or not, it gives you some food for thought and I believe it to be, ultimately, as close to the truth as one can get.
----
The force will be with you, always.
12.01.2010 - 00:56
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
The meaning is individualized per person because we're all individuals on our own paths. Like to be honest here, the only generalities that life shows out are that we all have "Trials & tribulations". What we do from there is all up to the individual reacting to said "Trials & tribulations".

That's why it's a simple question with a wacked out answer. The answer's not general hence it's impossible to answer generally.
----
24.01.2010 - 22:24
Mikyz

"We, sons of the water, earth and sun, are no more than small straw, foetus of the cosmic diaspora, scraps of solar existence, insignificant sprouts of the earth's existence." - E. Morin

Life is a vicious cycle filled with more hardships then happiness that ends with our death, this is our only sure fate, we live so that we can die, if we don't live then it's impossible for us to die. However, despite the incomprehensible nonsense that I just wrote, I'm still thankful for being alive for various reasons, but I still believe that on a universal scale we are as worthless as an ants' poo. But on a human scale we live to be hopefully happy, make our loved ones happy, and die peacefully with no regrets.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
25.01.2010 - 14:29
FOOCK Nam

An ant is not bad. Do not know if an ant feel pain when being bited.
10.02.2010 - 11:12
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by FOOCK Nam on 25.01.2010 at 14:29

I think what he was getting at is that an ant is something which is alot smaller than most living things on the planet, and so on the grand scale of things, appears insignifigant, and so we appear thus in the eyes of the universe. However, I personally believe an ant holds just as much signifigance as any other living thing. That does not, however, alter the metaphor.

According to Existentialism, we all create our own meaning in this life. I guess for years when I would describe my outlook on the meaning of life, that's what I was trying to get at. We all have our passions, our duties, and our thoughts. It's how we choose to pursue these things, how we alter them, that determines what meaning life truly has. In short, just do your best with what you have, and you are truly alive. If you live your life isolated away from what you feel is important, then you merely exist. There is a difference, imo between existence and true living.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
26.02.2010 - 03:37
whatsacow

Written by Arian Totalis on 10.02.2010 at 11:12

Written by FOOCK Nam on 25.01.2010 at 14:29

According to Existentialism, we all create our own meaning in this life. I guess for years when I would describe my outlook on the meaning of life, that's what I was trying to get at. We all have our passions, our duties, and our thoughts. It's how we choose to pursue these things, how we alter them, that determines what meaning life truly has. In short, just do your best with what you have, and you are truly alive. If you live your life isolated away from what you feel is important, then you merely exist. There is a difference, imo between existence and true living.

I agree. We live by own outlook, for our own purposes. The meaning of life is what you make of it, what you want it to be.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
26.02.2010 - 20:25
Candlemass
Defaeco
It's a very pretentious question (was the universe created with a meaning for us? are we the in the center of it?) which suits religious people, no one has the answer but them.
A more humble (and hopefully practical) question is - what can I do with life?
How can I get the maximum out of it?
03.03.2010 - 16:13
nehrodwarf

The meaning of life it's too much money and chicks

heheheheheheheheeeheheeeheheeeheheeheee
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
13.03.2010 - 06:41
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Drink beer, smoke pot, have lots of sex, work sometimes and party as much as possible...
05.04.2010 - 16:03
Krachyon
Account deleted
"When the universe looks upon you in indifference shout back 'fuck you!' in defiance" Found this quote on the Internet a few weeks ago and really agree with it. Life is ultimately meaningless, no matter what you did in your life, it will fade out with time. On a philosophical level that's all there is to it. But just as well is the "fuck you"-part is hard coded into our genes.

So let's try to make that time as long as possible, create the best world we can for generations yet to come and have a good lot of fun while doing so. For all we know we could be wrong about our inevitable downfall, if not we still have a few millennia until the heat death of the universe and in both cases I wish for humanity to let itself to be dragged off the stage by brute force alone.
06.04.2010 - 10:02
Berfones

Written by Guest on 05.04.2010 at 16:03

"When the universe looks upon you in indifference shout back 'fuck you!' in defiance" Found this quote on the Internet a few weeks ago and really agree with it. Life is ultimately meaningless, no matter what you did in your life, it will fade out with time. On a philosophical level that's all there is to it. But just as well is the "fuck you"-part is hard coded into our genes.

So let's try to make that time as long as possible, create the best world we can for generations yet to come and have a good lot of fun while doing so. For all we know we could be wrong about our inevitable downfall, if not we still have a few millennia until the heat death of the universe and in both cases I wish for humanity to let itself to be dragged off the stage by brute force alone.

I agree with you, just one question, god=i ?
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
07.04.2010 - 02:25
Krachyon
Account deleted
Written by Berfones on 06.04.2010 at 10:02

Let's just say Im(god) >> Re(god)
07.04.2010 - 13:20
Berfones

Written by Guest on 07.04.2010 at 02:25

Written by Berfones on 06.04.2010 at 10:02

Let's just say Im(god) >> Re(god)

nice, Eintsein tried to find an equasion to proove the existance of a god, I think you have just found one to disproove...
----
07.04.2010 - 18:28
Roro

...and after 2 years we still discussing the meaing of life ( which no one really knew :p )
08.04.2010 - 12:49
Berfones

Written by Roro on 07.04.2010 at 18:28

...and after 2 years we still discussing the meaing of life ( which no one really knew :p )

well, people discuss a god for five thousand years...why should we not enjoy a discussion over the meaning, or lack of meaning of life?
----
10.04.2010 - 00:10
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Candlemass on 26.02.2010 at 20:25

It's a very pretentious question (was the universe created with a meaning for us? are we the in the center of it?) which suits religious people, no one has the answer but them.
A more humble (and hopefully practical) question is - what can I do with life?
How can I get the maximum out of it?

Exactly !
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
10.04.2010 - 18:30
JohnWayneGacy666

ALRIGHT listen to my view as a Misanthrope disgusted by the ways humans behave illogically, arrogantly, stupidly. No i dont try to say i am not a human as well but I accept that humans are scum that is the way we are, if we are ever going to be a "superior" race than animals people should understand this. The meaning of life is to put in 110% and put yourself before others cause you will never live beyond the grave. Be wary not paranoid that people kill/ assault and sexually abuse in communities Understanding this as a misanthrope NOTHING can be gained by pathetic barbaric acts, but defend yourself. dont be paranoid about the illogical morons who live in your community but be on your guard DONT TAKE CRAP from ANYONE Be True to yourself AND DO NOT GIVE A a CRAP ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK OF YOU BE YOU AND DONT TRY TO BE SOMETHING YOUR NOT
25.04.2010 - 02:06
Krachyon
Account deleted
Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 10.04.2010 at 18:30

ALRIGHT listen to my view as a Misanthrope disgusted by the ways humans behave illogically, arrogantly, stupidly. No i dont try to say i am not a human as well but I accept that humans are scum that is the way we are, if we are ever going to be a "superior" race than animals people should understand this. The meaning of life is to put in 110% and put yourself before others cause you will never live beyond the grave. Be wary not paranoid that people kill/ assault and sexually abuse in communities Understanding this as a misanthrope NOTHING can be gained by pathetic barbaric acts, but defend yourself. dont be paranoid about the illogical morons who live in your community but be on your guard DONT TAKE CRAP from ANYONE Be True to yourself AND DO NOT GIVE A a CRAP ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK OF YOU BE YOU AND DONT TRY TO BE SOMETHING YOUR NOT

Well for the "not giving a crap" part, I strongly disagree. Humans are cultural and social beings that could neither have come to exist without others caring for them nor will it do them any good if everyone expects everyone to be antisocial. True, a huge chunk of humanity would actually deserve your attitude towards them, but only a minority of those that act like assholes are really fundamentally so but because they can get away with it in an environment where everyone puts himself before others.
In fact we are already superior to every other animal out there, in the sense that we can reflect upon our behaviour and check if what our instincts and inclinations tell us does in fact make sense. But we will also waste most of our potential if we limit ourselves to discovering problems and writing them off as fundamentally evil human nature instead of getting our asses moving and actually solving them.
02.05.2010 - 23:08
I_Die_Often

Life is to get through everyday until you die...
Enjoy it as much as possible and don't make it any harder on others.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
06.05.2010 - 22:41
TheBigRossowski

The usual-drive around, go bowling, the occassional acid flashback. Living life as a dudeist, is definitely a great way to make it through this all.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
08.05.2010 - 16:32
Baz Anderson

It's a very human thing to assume that something has to have a meaning.
09.05.2010 - 13:54
Berfones

Written by Baz Anderson on 08.05.2010 at 16:32

It's a very human thing to assume that something has to have a meaning.

I agree, however, I did not say that there is meaning, or that I look for it, I wanted the opinions of other people about life and their views
----
09.05.2010 - 21:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yes...it is human and we are all humans here...so what's going on there?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.05.2010 - 21:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Ellrohir on 09.05.2010 at 21:42

and we are all humans here...

Who told you that?
10.05.2010 - 15:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Sounds like quote from some romantic movie...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.05.2010 - 11:00
Mikyz

Sounds about right imo, we work are ass off everyday for years for a dream which to be realized requires a considerable amount of sacrifice but what we are striving for is at the end of the road happiness, if our dream doesn't give us happiness then what can? Life is a roller coaster (ups and downs) which will take us to our final destination or Death. Life exists so we can die.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.