Metal Storm logo
String Theory and M Theory

19.06.2006 - 14:49
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Well, as I don't have much time, I will start this topic and then leave it to all of you to elaborate on.

In physics, M theory is actually the master theory that unites the five different versions of string theory. It presents itself as a possibility to explain mysteries of the universe that did not formerly make sense, and unite quantum physics with older laws of the universe - which formerly clashed. String theory explains that matter is actually made of little tiny loops of vibrating "string", which move freely through ten dimensions - M Theory rests on the idea that there are actually 11 dimensions. M Theory goes on to state that the universe acts as a sort of membrane of string, and also explains the possibility of parallel universes (membranes), lying one beside the other, an infinite amount. Also, it says that the weak force of gravity may actually be leaking through into our universe from some other place.

M Theory explains the Big Bang in context of these parallel universes.

All right, my time here is up. Please use this thread to discuss these relatively new, exciting theories kicking around in the physics community, to ask questions, and use your brain!

Cheers.
19.06.2006 - 15:08
marinBG

I think it is a very interesting theory. There was a very good trilogy of science movies on it - The Elegant Universe that I found very interesting and explainatry... Quite frankly I'm a bit sceptical towards this theory(ies) but I think there a great leap towards the dream of Einsteing - a universal unifiead physics theory that explains everything and combines the clashing laws of the small (quantum mechanics) and the big (Newton and Einstein's theories for example).

very very interesting actually

P.S.: I think this topic is for the Serious discussions forum tough, not for this one...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
19.06.2006 - 15:43
CrematorY
Account deleted
This theory is called The Quantum Suicide Theory...
Very nice i hope you read it (quite interesting!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide
20.06.2006 - 12:47
eleftheria
Account deleted
Well I'm highly interested in those new physics theories, but I'm not sure I understand them :

I have read 'A Brief History of Time' and 'The Universe in a Nutshell' by Stephen Hawking and I can say that they excited my interest in M theory, even is beyond my conception! I've always wonder; why 11 and not 10, 12 or 1000 dimensions?

I'll be glad if someone could recommend me a book related to M theory, (written in ordinary language, similar to the style of the "nutshell" if possible - I hate complicated formulas and operations)
20.06.2006 - 14:30
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
@eleftheria - well, although my understanding of the technical aspects of string theory is a little tattered, right now (it's been a while since I read about it), I might be able to answer you. In the original five variations on string theory, there were 10 dimensions because that's how many were mathematically possible in their complex equations. The new math developed for the M theory required that there be 11. Now, this isn't to say that people weren't convinced before that there were 11, it's just that after M theory came into the limelight, the idea of 11 dimensions became far more acceptable.

I don't personally know any books on M theory. After reading many on string theory, with but short chapters on M theory (because, well, even the physicists didn't really get it yet until just recently!) I have not understood it very well until a recent show I caught a very short glimpse of on television. And, within about fifteen minutes, I got it. The basic premise, anyways.

However, I don't know what show it was.
20.06.2006 - 14:43
Daibh
Account deleted
My dear Proud Autumn...I will return to this topic soon; to what we both feel is a very important one in the modern world.

Right now, I must work, however! I how your new thread gos well, baby! I really do! 'Tis a truly unique one indeed.
20.06.2006 - 21:24
eleftheria
Account deleted
@Proud Autumn - That show was probably a good one to make you got the M theory in 15 minutes

I think I must read again more carefully the books I have and do a search of my own...

Anyway, whatever the conclusions may be, all these are very interesting. Thank you for this topic btw, I hope to inform us of many new exciting theories.
24.06.2006 - 21:01
evlgt85
Account deleted
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleArchive/jun2006/notevenwrong.php

A book is coming out/is out depending on where you are...that discusses how string theory is possibly wasting the time and effort of many brilliant physicists that could be making actual progress in the field. It contends that no real progress has been made in the realm of physics in some thirty years. I think the book is going to touch on some very good points and that it will make for a very interesting read.
25.06.2006 - 00:41
pox
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.06.2006 at 21:01

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleArchive/jun2006/notevenwrong.php

A book is coming out/is out depending on where you are...that discusses how string theory is possibly wasting the time and effort of many brilliant physicists that could be making actual progress in the field. It contends that no real progress has been made in the realm of physics in some thirty years. I think the book is going to touch on some very good points and that it will make for a very interesting read.

who know what'll happen when this baby gets switched on
http://press.web.cern.ch/public/Content/Chapters/AboutCERN/CERNFuture/WhatLHC/WhatLHC-en.html
01.07.2006 - 16:12
jizzlord
like a fox
i wish i could leave an informed comment, but i cant. I'm going into the second year of a physics degree, and from now on the people who were taking physics for no reason shall be weeded out!
Bring on the abstract (i.e interesting!) physics.
----

03.07.2006 - 09:38
CrematorY
Account deleted
http://www.whatthebleep.com/trailer/DS_sm2.wmv
Well its sort of a cartoon 10 min show, but it gives a small, yet interesting peek into the world of quantum mechanics