01. Prophecy Of Severance
02. Progeny Of Adam
03. Bitter Nectar
04. Fault Of Filth
05. Flame And Hammer
06. Across The Dead Night Sky
07. Rabid Wolves
08. Above Me, She Bleeds

Bound By Entrails is from the notorious USBM scene, Iowa to be more exact. It seems to be one big family over there, as the three bands Bound By Entrails, Envenom Ascension and AX have all shared at least one band member at one point or another. Bound By Entrails originated the first of these three, in 2004, and after a demo in '06 saw their sweat and tears rewarded with a labeldeal with Runefire Records, also shepherd of the other aforementioned bands.

BBE's music is quite repetive and of the typical 'no bullshit, just keep blasting and blaspheming' type. Every once in a while they slow down for a moment or two, but 90 percent of the time they are relentlessly thrusting forward. At least, it appears that was the plan. Unfortunately, that plan failed, because of a complete lack of an unique sound. The thrashy, simple riffs, the harsh vocals, the occasional interlude, the monotone drumming and (ab)use of cymbals, everything reeks strongly of Norwegian Black Metal.

So the name of the game is hateful, malicious Black metal inspired by the early Second wave. Forgive me, but I have the feeling I have heard this before. And not just once, but quite a few times already. Now that the band has relocated to Alaska, I fear even more 'frostbitten grimness' in the future. Fans of this band, and the label too, will probably argue that while it may not be original, it is the spirit that counts. Yes, that is more than true. But this thing lacks just that, spirit. It sounds so hollow, so monotone and uninspired. Not exactly bad, as it is hard to make bad music when you copy the legends, but this is far from good either.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written on 27.04.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 50 users
28.04.2008 - 01:26
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
From I've heard it's not that terrible. I don't see how you can say the production is 5 while you gave a band like Ruins of Beverast 10? I agree though not that original. But a lot of Black Metal isn't these days.
----
The force will be with you, always.
28.04.2008 - 01:31
Arcesse Eum

If its unoriginal, give it "Originality: 1"
If the songwriting is shit, give it "Songwriting: 1"

Metalstorm is way too lenient on scores!
----
As above, so below.
28.04.2008 - 14:26
Rating: 5
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Clintagräm on 28.04.2008 at 01:26

From I've heard it's not that terrible.

If it would be the only band that dwells on the grey, misty banks of average-land, I wouldn't really mind. But there are just sooooo many today, that I can't help but getting pissed off at these bands. Sure, I bet they put their hearts and soul into the music, but that is not enough. If you ask me, the reason some people say 'black metal is dead', then it is because of bands like this.

Plus - where I come from, the Netherlands that is, everything above a 5.4 is a sufficient. (I know this is not the same for a lot of people on the site, but it is simply the way I rate my reviews. And the grade doesn't matter that much.

Now you might ask, why give a sufficient to a band that 'killed black metal'. Well.. it's because I'm nice. And the music is indeed not that bad. But it is nowhere near interesting either. Maybe I was a pissed off too, because I really had a hard time saying something about a band, while there is actually not much to say.

Quote:
I don't see how you can say the production is 5 while you gave a band like Ruins of Beverast 10? I agree though not that original. But a lot of Black Metal isn't these days.

Production is an important factor of the music, and in my opinion, a highly personal factor too. For example the Ruins Of Beverast - and I'd like to thank you for a magnificent example - absolutely ruled in my opinion. (On "Unlock The Shrine" that is). The razerblade riffs, the incredibly vocals, the cold and deadly atmosphere.. It sounded all really fresh to me, even though it has of course been done a thousand times already. I believe it was you who said "similar, but superior" about The Ruins, and that nails it. It was the perfect production for that type of album, and therefore, a 10.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.04.2008 - 14:28
Rating: 5
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Arcesse Eum on 28.04.2008 at 01:31

Uhhh.. no. You seem to be one of those people (and apologies if I'm wrong), that thinks only in 1's and 10's. There are a couple of grades between those two, who can also be used.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.04.2008 - 15:55
Arcesse Eum

Written by Lucas on 28.04.2008 at 14:28

Written by Arcesse Eum on 28.04.2008 at 01:31

Uhhh.. no. You seem to be one of those people (and apologies if I'm wrong), that thinks only in 1's and 10's. There are a couple of grades between those two, who can also be used.

Nah, I rarely believe in 10s, but I'm a very firm believer in 1's if something sucks ass ahahahah, usually I give 5-7 on average, 10 if I really feel theres nothing that could change.
----
As above, so below.
28.04.2008 - 17:44
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 28.04.2008 at 14:26

I understand what you mean. I wasn't really referring to the rating, because that's everyone's interpretation. I was just referring to the actual review, which is what is important. But I hear you.
----
The force will be with you, always.
01.05.2008 - 12:19
babarackas
Account deleted
"Blasting and Blaspheming"...I don't really see a connection here. I just bought this CD recently, and other than a few key points, I don't think there is a song over 140 BPM, and the blast beats are few and far between. Actually, Mortaeus is and EXTREMELY talented drummer and his technical skill should not be overlooked.

Blaspheming...okay, I'll admit that some of the lyrical content is lacking in some songs. But, who doesn't have some shitty lyrics somewhere in their catalog? But, I see where you are coming from on originality. Stylistically, it is an homage to 2nd wave BM. But it isn't as terrible as you make it. In fact, It's actually a decent listen.

Production could be better though. You're right about that.

Hits total: 2940 | This month: 5