04. All I Want All I Need
05. Good To Be Bad
06. All For Love
07. Summer Rain
08. Lay Down Your Love
09. A Fool In Love
10. Got What You Need
11. 'Till The End Of Time

Nineteen years after the last official release of Whitesnake, the new album of the British combo is finally out, and yes that's great to see that the band is back and better than ever. If David Coverdale was wondering if the fans were waiting for a new release I can tell him that yes, after the excellent "Live: In The Shadow Of The Blues" released in 2006 we were all waiting for a new release. The good thing here is that we will not be disappointed, Whitesnake's new album just rocks!

It was maybe tricky to do a comeback after so many years (yes I know that David Coverdale released "Restless Heart" in 1997, but it was not a real album of Whitesnake and it was finally a bit anecdotic in the end) but I have to concede that Coverdale didn't do any mistakes with this new release. Sure, the album features some love ballads which are a bit boring (but that's not surprising too?) but in general the real Heavy songs are great. "Best Years" or "Can You Hear The Wind Blow" both have great guitars riffs (which probably come from the influences of Doug Aldrich), those songs (and they're just examples) are great and super Heavy. Maybe that I cannot say that we're reaching the level of a "Still Of The Night" or "Crying In The Rain" but then really we're just behind them? All in all, if you like "1987" I quite sure that you'll love "Good To Be Bad", the new album is not surprising that's right but it's classy Heavy / Hard Rock really.

I really like Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach and I think that they give a lot of energy to the new music of Whitesnake. The other musicians do a great job here and the performance of David Coverdale is quite impressive, he is still a great singer for sure. The only problem for me with this release actually comes from its lyrics. Ok, I'm already hearing some people who're saying that it's "Whitesnake" and I agree, but I was expecting something else than love and blabla and unfortunately, one more time the lyrics are a bit? well you know, they talk about "love", you see what I mean? Despite this negative point, the album is full of great music and its recording is perfect. Really I'm happy to say that Whitesnake's comeback was not done for nothing and let's hope that we will have the chance to see them on the road this year, with those new songs it will simply kick some asses live!

Yes, you have the answer now, "Good To Be Bad" is a really good album. This is maybe not the best Whitesnake but for sure this is among their best releases and that's a lot better than a lot of their albums. Coverdale is not so young now but he still haves the class and he still knows how to write good songs. "Good To Be Bad" will be one of the greatest Hard Rock albums of the year 2008, guys that's good that you're back.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 28.04.2008

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 166 users
29.04.2008 - 10:11
Rating: 8
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Good review, Jeff! I agree with you, it's a very good album with great songs, but a few of them are a bit boring. Coverdale still has one of the best hard rock voice!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
29.04.2008 - 16:41
Baz Anderson
staff
indeed, a really good and solid album! well worth a listen.
29.04.2008 - 19:00
juanopereira
Yeah! it's a very heavy album and of course, it's Whitsnake so they always will have their love lyrics XD. But the album it's great. Excellent work.
07.05.2008 - 03:56
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Damn, it's a crime I hadn't yet listened to this album... I'm seeing Whitesnake live soon, so I'll better begin to familiarize with this.
14.02.2009 - 23:05
Ragana
Rawrcat
Where was I last year?
The album is awesome, and it's so weird that even I like it (I'm not really used to listen to stuff like this, especially with tons of love in each song, hah).

I'm pretty pleased with the sound quality of this release, and either with most of the songs. As it's Whitesnake, songs must be quite catchy because of... I don't know, that's rock, so obviously it's easy-listening.
I don't know how I can find something positive in a song which in general is a sad lovesong, but Whitesnake makes me smile (sounds really gay). This album is a nice change of depressive and heavy music I usually listen to.
16.06.2011 - 22:02
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Very classy. And the newest one is great too.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 11869 | This month: 9