Metal Storm logo
Symphony X

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:23
One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.
30.03.2012 - 18:33
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.03.2012 at 05:05

"The Odyssey" is more than just a song, it takes you on a journey, and listening to it is like watching a epic movie playing in my head.

Well, "Divine Wings" does the same for me. Not a journey in the "epic" sense, more of a trip on the different effects that music has on me; I always get a lot of chills with that song.
Specially when "The Prophet's Cry" kicks in, I just can't help to put an evil face during that part. I must look like a jerk when I'm listening to this song in public with my headphones.

BTW I support the idea of opening a VS. thread. This is war, my friends.
30.03.2012 - 19:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Unhealer on 30.03.2012 at 18:33
Well, "Divine Wings" does the same for me. Not a journey in the "epic" sense, more of a trip on the different effects that music has on me; I always get a lot of chills with that song.
Specially when "The Prophet's Cry" kicks in, I just can't help to put an evil face during that part. I must look like a jerk when I'm listening to this song in public with my headphones.

BTW I support the idea of opening a VS. thread. This is war, my friends.

I'm with you on all that. Whilst I do slightly prefer "The Odyssey", "Divine Wings" is an immense song that does effect me very much when I listen to it. It is great, no doubt about it!

You sound just like me when I listen to music in public with my headphones! Certain songs have a very powerful effect on me, and even when I listen to them outside, I find it impossible to completely contain the emotions music can invoke in me. I'm always pulling faces, and on a few occasions, I have had tears streaming down my face in public due to being deeply effected by certain songs. I'm sure I look like an idiot, but I can't help it. lol
30.03.2012 - 22:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
31.03.2012 - 20:03
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 30.03.2012 at 18:33

I must look like a jerk when I'm listening to this song in public with my headphones.

My. Worst. Fear.
I'm in the metalhead/spooky alternative/whatever clothes mostly and people always seem to either avoid me or look at me curiously... but when I pull that face, God, I only realize it after they ALL look at me curiously.

I've headbanged in school as well. Ah yes. Headbanging in school to Symphony X. Nothing beats that.
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.04.2012 - 01:05
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 31.03.2012 at 20:03

I'm in the metalhead/spooky alternative/whatever clothes mostly and people always seem to either avoid me or look at me curiously... but when I pull that face, God, I only realize it after they ALL look at me curiously.

Do you really dress THAT weird? I didn't get that from the photos I've seen. Maybe the "freak" standards over there are different.

Well, in my case seeing you like that would only give me the urge to at least say "Hi"
Unless you are with the headphones on, I guess you wouldn't like to be interrupted. At least I'd kill anyone that dares to interrupt me while listening to Divine Wings.
01.04.2012 - 01:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 01.04.2012 at 01:05

Do you really dress THAT weird? I didn't get that from the photos I've seen. Maybe the "freak" standards over there are different.

Well, in my case seeing you like that would only give me the urge to at least say "Hi"
Unless you are with the headphones on, I guess you wouldn't like to be interrupted. At least I'd kill anyone that dares to interrupt me while listening to Divine Wings.

It's not that weird, especially in the past few months where I couldn't be arsed to put anything remotely creative on, but definitely weirder than a lot of the people here. Dark colors, long hair, long coats and leather jackets, gothy necklaces, mom's hippie shirts and stuff But yeah, freak standards here are a bit different and everybody likes to stare. It has its advantages though, when you put something like a metal tee on, you don't get unwanted male attention and girls are generally not that curious to make friends with you instantly.

Nah, I wouldn't mind being interrupted by a sensible metalhead People that listen to any form of prog, at least a bit, are rare here anyway. There are a couple of older guys which I admire for their taste and which have recommended me dozens of awesome albums when they noticed I was getting into the stuff, but only one lives in my town and I rarely talk to him out of fear I'd be bothering him and I don't know a lot of people who listen to Symphony X in particular, apart from my boyfriend, who likes them even better than me. He'd probably side with The Oddysey folks though but at least I've encouraged him to try some prog on his own, and luckily, he really likes it.
----
7.0 means the album is good